the Rift

[OPEN] Cherry Blossoms and Blueberries

Muriel Posts: 54
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 6 Years 4 Months
Brit

image by pinksherbet @ flickr.com</style>

After days of running, of hiding from the darkness that consumes Helovia and sleeping in hollows of the earth, barely able to shutter their eyes for a few moments with the fear that when they awoke it would already be too late. Muriel had never had to rely on her own wits and strength before, especially in order to protect Leliel. Blind and helpless, he relied on her, and it shook her to the core like a furious earthquake to know she was so defenseless on her own. How could she possibly help him, when she couldn't even help herself? There was nothing she could do, and she didn't know where the strength came from inside of her to possibly lead him onward towards safety. Where, inside him, could he possibly feel that she was trustworthy? Didn't Leliel remember how weak and frivolous she'd been? It led to her silence, most days. They were an odd pair- she mute by choice, and he blind unwillingly. It had been a harsh, discordant process. Together they had stumbled and fallen, scraped knees and shoulders alike, bruised and banged until they were sore and losing faith that there even was a place of sanctuary.

Muriel had never had to lead a blinded figure before, and the both of them had much to learn from the other. Not that Muriel was prone to share, these days. She yearned for Onni's presence. Somewhere along the way, in the craze of the traveling, they'd been separated from the gentle soul. Muriel was left in the presence of the stallion she both loved and hated, perhaps even equally, with a mess of things to sort out in herself and no time or privacy to do so. Instead, she turned inward, seeking solace in the only place she had left. Who could even be sure that she'd be received well by Leliel, if she tried to initiate conversation with him? The quad-flighted male had always been stand-offish, with nary a care for frivolous feelings and emotional tendencies. Unluckily for Muriel, that was her all wrapped in one. So she remained mum.

The cavern was clearly the place that seemed to be thought of as the safest, with well-traveled entrances and paths that stemmed out from place to place like a spiderweb of history. Giving a soft sound she reached a wing towards her companion, the touch a by-now familiar language between the two of them. With a mere touch she could direct him, not trusting herself most days to speak. Moving ahead of him, she stretched her lowermost wing backwards towards him. It was a way to lead him forward, instead of worrying about where the both of them were stepping at the exact same time. Her muscles screamed at her, aching in ways she'd never thought was possible. All she wanted was to get inside and not have to worry about anything else ever again. Or maybe sleep for a good three years. She'd take either at this point.

A hole in the earth was her only sign of activity, and leading underground a steep hill, pebbled and weak soiled. "Steep hill ahead, go slow," she murmured behind her, her own fuchsia hooves digging deep into the loose earth as she slowly clambered down. Voice rang out from below, soft melodies of worry and confusion. They'd finally found it. It took a while, mostly out of her own hesitation to go too fast, but she wasn't eager to mingle with people she didn't know. Instead she kept her head low, hoping she wouldn't appear too odd in her pink hues and Leliel's electric blues. Not to mention their quad-wings of Janet. All she wanted was to find a quiet spot. That's all she asked for.

Wandering deeper, careful not to move too fast or navigate in spaces too complicated for her blind companion, the desire to be away from people odd for the normally bubbly mare. She followed the sound of water. The shores of the sunken falls reflected light that seemingly had no source, but it wasn't as if Leliel could see it and enjoy it with her. Sighing, she slowly lowered herself down to the soft sandy shores of the underground beach. Everything hurt, and she let out a tiny whimper as she finally settled. The sand was cool and pleasant against her belly, and if she let her wings spread out like a broken bird, well...at least Leliel couldn't see how pathetic she looked.

Looking over at him, she murmured only a few more words. "Rest, Leliel. We're safe now."

MURIEL</style>
 in the night your heart is full, and by the morning empty.
but i'm the one who left you, you're not the one who left me.</style>

Leliel Posts: 55
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 9
ali
leliel.

I don't think I can begin to describe how lonely it is to live in a world that is completely dark.

Muriel is with me all the time but it doesn't make me feel much better. She's quiet a lot and most of the time I have to really listen for her to know if she's still there or if she's left me alone. Its unsettling, if I can be completely honest. I guess I've gotten used to her being loud and rambunctious and overbearing and with her being quiet I don't know how to take it. Sometimes I find myself wishing that she would say something, anything besides directing me where to go. I do wonder if she hates me as much as I hate myself. I've never had to rely on anyone as much as I've been relying on her since I came back to Helovia and I know I owe her a lot. I'd probably be nothing but bones if she hadn't found me. Everything she's done for me has made me realize that she's not just another pretty face. She's actually got substance to her and I know I would have noticed it before had I not been so bent on being bitter to everyone around me. Not that I'm not still bitter. I am. I probably always will be. I like to think that anyone in my situation would feel the same, but I don't know if anyone will understand unless they've stood where I stood.

I can feel the world around me changing, but I can't see it changing and because of this I don't know exactly what's going on. I only hear murmurs here and there about darkness and monsters. I can't really say that I'm afraid. Nervous, yes, but not afraid. A couple of times I opened my mouth to speak to Muriel while we wandered, but in the end I only shut it again and let the silence continue on. I can't say that I've ever experienced a silence as uncomfortable as the one that Muriel imposed on me, but I guess I deserve it. Why would she want to talk to someone like me? Its a question I've asked myself countless times, even before the elders blinded me for retribution for whatever it was I had done to them. At one time I had come to the conclusion that she did it to mock me. There were others who had done the same thing, but when I look back I realize that there wasn't a mean bone in her body and I am just a stupid, stupid stallion.

We hunker down and sleep for the night and then its another day of traveling. Muriel's spoken commands of where to go and step and when to stop have stopped and now she uses her wings to direct me. I think she's doing it because she doesn't want to be around me anymore and be responsible for me, which she isn't. I am responsible for me. Irritation is beginning to set in, but I try to stuff it down as I follow behind her. There are times when I wonder if she knows where she's going. There are times I want to ask, but I bite my tongue and walk on obediently.

"Steep hill ahead, go slow."

Despite her telling me to go slow and me actually listening to her, I still manage to slide. Instinctively my wings shoot out from my sides and flap as I catch my balance and I'm glaring at whatever happens to be in front of me through my clouded and scarred eyes. I snort and I fold my wings back into place before I start walking again and when I reach the bottom I realize how much my muscles have tensed and I force myself to relax. I can't say that I relax long with the sound of voices coming from deep within the cave (I judge because of the echo). I freeze then, my legs locked in place and I refuse to go any farther. My ears slam back against my skull and I shake my head, snorting loudly. It was in a cave that they had done this to me. It was in a cave that they had taken away one of the things I valued most. I'm pretty sure that I look as scared and panicked as I feel, but then I feel angry. They had picked a cave on purpose because they knew what it would do to me when I needed shelter if I even lived, which I did obviously.

Score one for Leliel. One hundred and twenty-seven for them.

I have to take a few minutes before I can press on and when I do I'm bumping through a crowd of horses that I don't know and can't see. I grunt whenever I bump into someone but thankfully it we're through the crowd rather quickly and heading deeper into the cave. I can hear a waterfall. The farther we go the louder it gets and then we stop. My ears flick forward and I can hear Muriel as she lays down on the ground. She tells me to rest, that we're safe, but I remain standing and listening to the waterfall and wishing that I could see it. I start moving again and stop when my hooves touch water and then I lower my head and drink until my thirst is quenched.

I lift my head and turn it in the direction I remember Muriel being in. "Thank you." I say quietly as I move back from the water and search for a place to lie down and rest. Again, I find myself wanting to say more, but instead I stretch my neck out and rest my head on the sandy floor and sigh.

"."
image credits!

Deceased
Brit

Despite her warning, he slides, and her heart seizes momentarily in her chest. It's ridiculous, she chides herself, to be scared for him. She's right in front of him, braced just in case he slides or falls so that she may catch him. It is just soil, she tells herself. But it does nothing to stop the erratic beating of her heart, the craning of her neck as she looks to make sure he is alright. At least in that fashion, he can no longer snap at her. He can't see her worry anymore. Muriel hates feeling grateful for that. For a few moments she loses track of him, slows further to let him find her on his own as he shoves past the bodies of nameless others. Leliel values his independence even when he relies on her, now. She fears he will be angry if she turns around to find him in the crowd and assume her position once more at his side. It doesn't take long, and soon he is again following the lead of her feathers, gentle kisses of flesh she would have died to have a few seasons ago. Now it just hurts her.

Together they progress until the sounds dim and the echoes quiet. Only the sound of the water accompanies them now. As thirsty as she is, she instead watches as Leliel slowly approaches until his hooves touch water, feeling awkward even thinking of joining him. Instead she lays on the sand, wanting to be alone so she could cry and scream and throw a tantrum. But she could in no way leave Leliel to his own devices. Not only because it would be cruel, but because she worried for him enough with him in her sight and realm of touch. Once he has had his fill, he turns his head towards the pink maiden, and she frowns. She sighs as well.

"There's no need to thank me, Leliel." It's soft, defeated as it leaves her lips. He moves away, burrowing down into the sand like she did. Muriel frowns and steels herself, knowing that it was now or never. They had to talk. Shifting painfully, her wings flutter uselessly and she whines softly in her throat as her muscles protest. Eventually she is up on her knees, placing her forehooves into the sand and lurching up. She practically limps over to the pool of water, dipping her head and drinking her fill before turning back towards the electric blue stallion to her right. Something jerks in her stomach, seeing him laying there, reminiscent to how she'd found him in the Threshold. Dropping her head, she stares at her reflection in the water. She looks how she feels; miserable, disheveled, broken. The days when she'd fret over her appearance weren't long ago, but they feel like they were actions done by someone who was not herself. How much had changed that she was unaware of?

Not trusting herself to turn, fearing she would either run or try to lay beside Leliel, she speaks. "I wanted to hate you." Idiot! she chides herself. What a great way to start a conversation! Wincing she decides the damage is done, speaking only loud enough to be heard, head hanging as if she no longer had the strength to hold it high and proud. "I wanted to, honestly. You were always so mean to me. And when you kept disappearing...I felt like you were running from me. Actually, you probably were," her laugh is bitter and humorless as it echoes out of her maw.

"But you know what? I never could. I guess I knew I would never be able to. I knew you acted the way you did for a reason. Janet wasn't such a large place, you know. I know how you were raised. But I always held out hope that maybe I could get you to trust me someday." Now she's just rambling, but her eyes begin to sting, and she only manages a fleeting thought of prayer that if she starts to cry that Leliel won't be able to tell. Not that she's mastered the art of doing so silently, but maybe she can start today. "And then the sun disappeared. And you were gone, and I realized that because of my love for you, I'd cast away all potential friends. I skinned my knees and hurt my wing in the blackness, and I cried. I cried and I realized nobody would come to help me." Her lithe shoulders shake and the tears are hot when they touch her cheeks.

Her breath hitches as she sobs, hiccuping softly as her body shakes. Even crying hurts with how her body aches. "And I realized that even though I'd always considered you one, you were never my knight in shining armor." She's a mess now, crying and breaking her words, curling her wings in close to hug herself. Muriel only wanted comfort, but nobody around would give it to her. The doubt she held towards Leliel was too strong for her to trust he would want to. "It was always me! I had to pick myself up every time you cast me off, patch up my heart with every insult, slap a smile back on my face every time it tried to fall off." She'd felt so happy and carefree, back then. Had she just been blocking out the thoughts that lingered behind her own facade? She'd tricked everybody so thoroughly, she'd even managed to deceive herself.

"I had to be strong, but I'm not. I'm not, Leliel. I'm just a stupid, brainless mare with nothing but a freakish coat and even more freakish wings!" Her words break, rising in anger and self-hatred, kicking out a gold-lined, pink-ribbon leg to crash into the water. She sobs, choking them down audibly, shoving them back down into the box in her body that never appeared from behind the curtain of her smiling face and happy laugh. Sometimes, she thinks sorrowfully, the ones with the brightest smiles have the blackest tears. With that thought, she manages to muffle her crying, and clears her throat wetly. "I'm sorry. Ignore me." It's what you do best, she adds bitterly in her mind.

MURIEL</style>

Hidden Account
ali
leliel.

There is defeat in her voice when she speaks to me and I can't help but hate it and myself when I hear it. My ears stay turned in her direction and I listen to her as she stands. Her steps bring her toward the water and I can picture her in my head going to drink, her pink and gold coat shining like it always did. Her feathers perfectly manicured and not a hair in her mane or tail out of place. Somehow I think that the picture in my head will never do her justice. I'll never be able to look at her again and I'm not sure why I even care. I had spent most of my life trying to shun her and push her away. Shamsiel had shown plenty of interest in her and I'd tried my hardest to sway her affections away from me and toward my brother because he would be a much better fit than I would ever be because everyone liked him, but she was a stubborn mare.

"I wanted to hate you."

"I wanted you to hate me." I lifted my head when she said that she wanted to hate me so I can stare in the direction her voice had come from. I don't think she understands how much easier her life would be if she just hated me like everyone else did. She would still be in Janat, she probably would have found another to turn her attentions to, and she might even be a mother by now, but she had to follow me when I'd finally been able to escape. "It would have been easier if you had." I whisper, scarred lids closing over my useless eyes. I never would have been able to be the stallion she wanted me to in Janat. Why would I want to be? Why would I willingly subject her to the same treatment that I had received all of my life? Why would I want to father children that would suffer the way I did? If my own parents hated me the way they did why would they love my children? Did she even think about that?

Everything she says is true. I am no ones night in shining armor and I never have been. I couldn't save myself so I know that I can't save her. Maybe now she'll realize that and she'll finally go and find someone that deserves her. So what if it hurts me, I'm used to being hurt. My heart doesn't matter, my body doesn't matter, my eyes don't matter, my soul doesn't matter. I don't matter. I know it. I've come to accept it. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Her voice breaks and I know that she's crying as she talks to me, her feelings laid bare and I stay silent, unmoving, and withdrawn. It doesn't matter how my legs burn with desire to get up and go to her to try and comfort her. Water splashes and I picture her slamming her hoof into it as her tirade ends with an insult to herself.

"You think your life has been so tough." I say, sighing wearily. Normally I would have insulted her to try and drive her away but I think I'm just as defeated and tired as she is. "Imagine how much tougher it would have been in Janat if I had returned your affection. You know how much they all hated me. My own family! Everyone!" I shake my head as I think about them and how much I hate them and the elders and every filly and colt that pretended to be my friend only to spit on me later. She doesn't understand. She will never understand because everyone likes her. She's the perfect image of each beautiful sunrise over the mountains, pink and gold staining the skies. And she'd never know that I thought about her every time I watched the sunrise alone on my mountain top.

And I am darkness.

I gather my strength and begin to stand. I use my wings to help keep my balance because I've found that with blindness comes a loss of coordination.

"You don't know how often I've wished to look like you or Shamsiel so I could be what you wanted me to be. I didn't ask to look like this!" I don't want to look like this. I just want to look like everyone else and be accepted by everyone who hated me. "Its true you know how I was raised, but you didn't experience it." I look in her direction and frown. "Have you ever had your parents tell you how worthless you are? Have you ever been told that the world would be better if you were dead? Have you ever thought you finally found a friend and find out that they only did it on a dare?" The answer is simple and I know it. No, because everyone likes her.

"Why would you think I'd want you to go through the same thing day in and day out?" I finally ask. "Why would I want to have children for them to be treated the same way? You may think I'm cruel, but I am not so cruel that I would willingly allow that to happen." I flick my tail and turn my head. Maybe now she'll understand why I did what I did.

I stayed quiet for several minutes just listening to the water before I finally spoke again. "I do have my regrets." My voice is hushed as I speak. "My biggest one was that the last face I ever saw wasn't yours."

"."
image credits!

Deceased
Brit

Honestly, she should have run, she mused to herself. Should have turned and sprinted out of the cavern as fast as her legs could take her. Some foolish part of her had assumed that Leliel wouldn't respond. Had even hoped so, actually. She didn't want to hear anything, didn't want him to spit her words back into her face. The fear of rejection, of him mocking her, was still too strong. Years of blatant disgust and frustration from him, always directed towards her, could not be erased by a few days of changed heart. Who was to say that out of nowhere, Leliel would revert back to how he'd been before his disappearance? Muriel secretly dreaded it and hoped for it simultaneously. At least then she'd know how to react to him. Right now? She was constantly second guessing herself, her feelings for him, what to say and how to say it, what to do and when. It only furthered the tempest inside of her, and it drove her to the onslaught of words she'd just spat out. Now, she wished she could cram them right back into her body where Leliel could never hear them.

Of course it was too late, and her eyes drooped to a close, a pained expression on her face at his first words. She was a fool to think he'd respond kindly to her. Of course he'd want her to hate him, because then he'd be rid of her. But fate has a different plan, and when he continues speaking she turns her tear-stained face towards him, silent and shocked. Easier? She waits as he thinks, collects himself, but she gives a soft wounded sound when his next words come. You think your life has been so tough. And every word is a dagger as they follow that sentence, reminding her that she has no right to feel the way she does, that she is a worthless piece of dirt for thinking she could possibly whine and cry when he'd had it so much worse.

"You're right. I shouldn't be crying like an idiot. You had it a lot worse, I don't have the right to act like this..." But she wants to! She wants to feel the hurt, because it makes her feel like she's alive. She wants to be worthy of pain. And it's such a sad existence, but she knows she was a spoiled brat as a filly. It's ridiculous to think she'd have the same privileges as Leliel, who had gone through hell and back countless times in his life. Of course, when he speaks once more, her head whips towards him in disbelief.

"We are all strange, Leliel! All of us! We're from Janet, we look nothing like Helovians! You are handsome, Leliel. There is no reason to despise your appearance." It is decisive, refusing to accept any rebuttal, even if each word is hypocritical when paired with her own insults aimed at herself. To her, Leliel was gorgeous, and she knew that others saw it. It's why she got so jealous, so petty, when others would take notice of him. He was...gorgeous. Stunning. Ebony and sapphire, simply breathtaking. She only wished she could be beautiful enough to one day be worthy of standing at his side as an equal. Even she was losing hope that he would ever consider her in any way reminiscent of a mate.

His words make her flinch away, and she falls silent. When she speaks, her voice is cracked and defeated. He has taken away all passion in her, the tiniest drops left in the bare bones of her soul. "You're right. I haven't. I spoke out of turn." She feels like a subordinate chastised by their superior. Feels like a slave beneath their master's hoof. But she knows that their relationship is not so controlling. It was true, after all. She was a bitch for complaining when he was the one who should be. It stung, to be reminded that her pain, no matter how small, was insignificant and unwarranted.

But then he further confuses her. He is going from hurting her to being sweet and back again, and Muriel doesn't know if her heart can bear it. It's so confusing, it twists her heart and mind simultaneously. What was he implying? "I would have done it, you know." It's soft, but it holds conviction as she speaks. "I would have gone through it all if you'd so much as asked." No truer words had ever been spoken by the coral damsel. She'd give him the entire world on a silver platter if he so much as gave the inclination of wanting it. Her love for him was so profound, she could imagine no other reaction to him telling her to do something. She'd go through hell and back if it meant he'd be at her side for the journey.

Heat took up storage in her cheeks at his last words, wondering if she was taking it too out of context. Was he being serious? "I...Leliel..." she stutters, breathless, clearly flustered. "I promise, we'll find a way to fix this. The Gods will help us. I will do anything to let you see again. Anything. But you may change your mind about seeing my face by the end of it...I feel as if this is only a brief interlude. A dream. You'll just go right back to hating me...and I'll be left chasing after you..." At least that was a game she knew well.

MURIEL</style>

Hidden Account
ali
leliel.

I not trying to hurt her, I am only trying to make her understand why I am the way that I am and why I've done to her what I've done. In my own twisted way I was trying to protect her from the same persecution that the elders and my own family had put me through. She was so delicate then that I didn't think she could handle it and listening to the way her voice shook and broke now I can't help but feel that I was right for doing what I did. I hope that one day she'll understand and can forgive me completely.

I tilt my ears back against my head as she twists my words around and insults herself. "Stop!" My tail lashes against my legs as my head snapped back in her direction. I was not trying to make her feel sorrier for me than I already knew that she felt. And I was not trying to make our lives into a competition of who had it worse, though I do believe that she had it a lot easier than I did because life is a cakewalk when everyone likes you. My ears tilt forward after several seconds of being held tightly against my skull. I don't know what to say now that I've snapped again besides telling her to stop talking so badly about herself. "You're not an idiot." I may have called her that before, I don't remember, but if I did I was only trying to keep her from getting too close. It didn't make it right, but I had my reasons if I did.

My head shakes from side to side when she speaks again and I can't believe she's telling me that there is no reason to despise my appearance? I've spent so long hating myself for what I look like that I just can't believe what she's saying. "Look at me!" I say. "How can you even say that?" I sound incredulous because I am. "If I didn't look like this I would have had a family! We wouldn't be where we are right now! And I would have been able to give you everything you wanted and asked for! I have all the reason in the world to hate myself." I pause before speaking again. "I've thought time and again of jumping from Janat's mountain tops and just falling until the ground caught me. No one would miss me. No one would care." No one except, maybe, for her, but Shamsiel would be there. He would take every opportunity he could to make sure that she forgot about me so he could have her to himself.

She makes me shake my head again by saying she would have gone through the same thing I had if I had asked her. "I am not so selfish or cruel." She just doesn't understand even though she may act like she does or claim that she does. I honestly don't think she would have lasted if they treated her the way the did me. "Look at what they did to me, Muriel." I step in her direction, my muzzle reaching out and searching for her pink body. "Look." I stare ahead with clouded and scarred eyes as I search for her. "They did this to me. Why would you even think I'd want to let them to do this to you? This is why I pushed you away!" I stop short, ears back once more and muzzle still extended.

She says the gods will help us and I snort and shake my head yet again. "The Gods in Janat didn't do anything to help me, why would these?" She continues on and I can't help but think she's daft. "I never hated you!" I may not have accepted her friendship because I had been burned so many times by everyone, but I had never hated her. Why can't she understand that? I just told her about how I spent all of my life pushing her away so she wouldn't have to go through the same things I did and she still thinks that I hate her. "If I hated you I wouldn't have had a problem with you being treated like I was."

"."

image credits!

Deceased
Brit

Unable to help it, the pink fae winces at the harsh, discordant sounds of his irritation. Her desire to leave strengthen, until he continues on to say, in a language she's worked her entire life to understand, that she had misunderstood. She murmurs a quiet assent, feeling a burden lift a little from her shoulders. Of course, he would not accept so easily her compliments. Coral aurals pin back into fuchsia locks, disgruntled by his own hatred of his physical expression. Did he truly not see how stunning he was? He attracted mares like a magnet, never wanting any of them, and he still claimed that he was distasteful to the eye. "I am looking at you! You catch every eye, you always have! Why do you think I was always so jealous when you talked to mares?!" She's exasperated with him, but there's a fondness in her voice that never wavers, never falters or weakens. She loves him. Nothing can change that with any sort of ease.

The thought of him plummeting to his death makes her whimper and she steps closer, needing to reassure herself that he hadn't done it, that he was still there. Tangible. Touchable. "I would have cared. So long as there's one person who cares, isn't that enough to continue on?" Desperation coats every waver of her voice, fear in her tone as she tries to calm the revulsion in her stomach at the mental image of his broken body on the ground. Shamsiel would never be able to sway me. He wasn't Leliel. He was wrong in all ways, and frankly he kind of scared Muriel. He was just...so intense. Leliel was softer, in most aspects, even if he always appeared so jagged and hateful.

Ebony face shakes, and she tentatively moves closer, stopping directly before him. If she extended her neck just a little, she'd be able to touch him. Nevertheless, she refrains. "You wanting to protect me from it..." she whispers, and her breath hitches when Leliel steps closer, searching for her with blind eyes. It pulls at her heartstrings. "Even if you wouldn't have wanted it, I would have done it. But this isn't Janet. We can...we can be safe here, we can start anew." Hope and desperation are painfully evident in her voice, tremulous heartbeat the only other sign of her nervousness. Would Leliel even want to build a new life here with her? Was she even included in his plans for the future?

His fears aren't without reason, though. Muriel remembers Onni, remembers the faith and passion in her friend, how close she was to the Sun God. "Because they are not the gods of Janet. They are benevolent. They care for their devotees. Onni is very close with the God of the Sun, does that not show that they are capable of bonds with mortals?" Muriel only wants to instill in him a sense of hope, that things will be alright. Perhaps it's a selfish desire, as well. She wants to see him glance over at her and know he actually sees her. Wants him to know when she's smiling at him. Instead she takes a deep breath, knowing she is tentatively offering her heart to him for the thousandth time with her next words.

"Even if you don't hate me, Leliel, I don't think I can ever make you love me. And...and I promise not to make this, whatever this is, awkward. I won't bring it up, I won't act on it, just let me care for you." Slowly but surely, her voice drops to a whisper, lacking all confidence and drive. Would he want her to be gone from his side? Tentatively she reaches out her muzzle, nostrils trembling as she hopes to brush against his cheek. Surely he knew how close they were standing? But she didn't want to scare him, since he could not seeing her approach. Even so, she couldn't clamp down on the desire to touch him.

MURIEL</style>

Hidden Account
ali
leliel.

I'm shaking my head again as she speaks, denying anything positive that she says about me because I don't deserve compliments. I don't know how to handle them so its much easier to deny them as adamantly as I am now, but she's as stubborn as ever. She brings up other mares that I've talked to, which were few and far between I can honestly say. "You treated them the way they treated me." It was in those moments when she acted that way that I truly hated her. It was those moments that made me doubt her as I had because if she could treat mares she didn't even know that way why would she treat me any differently? How was I supposed to be sure that she wasn't like everyone else that had said they would be 'friends' with me?

My world has always been full of doubt. I've always had to look over my shoulder, worry and fret over what the elders would do to me next, who would come pretend to be my friend only to earn me more punishment. There were times when I would sit there and plead with Janat's gods to make me into something desirable so I could have my family. I didn't care if it was only for a few hours, I wanted to know what it was like to have a family that loved and accepted me, but they never answered my prayers. Eventually I gave up and began to scorn them and hate them and as my hatred for them grew it enveloped the elders and my family.

"No." I say when she says that she would have missed me. "No. No. You would forget about me. Shamsiel would see to it. No..." I know I'm right. She would have moved on with her life if I had jumped to my death like I had thought about dozens of times. I might have been a distant memory to her every now and again, but to everyone else I would just be another blip in the past that was hardly worth consideration. I doubt my parents would have batted an eye had I killed myself. And I doubt my brother would have minded it, either.

I can hear her moving, the sound of her steps getting closer, but its hard for me to tell exactly where she is until she speaks and then I know that she's right in front of me. All I would have to do is take a step forward and I would be touching her. I don't. I stand still, hooves rooted in the sand, but my ears are tilted forward as I listen to her again and, again, she disputes what I say, but there's more to it. This isn't Janat. We can start anew here. I know she's right, but its not as easy as she thinks it is. Whats been done to me can never be undone. I don't think that I can ever fully trust anyone aside from myself and maybe her.

Maybe.

"Because they are not the gods of Janet. They are benevolent. They care for their devotees. Onni is very close with the God of the Sun, does that not show that they are capable of bonds with mortals?"

I scoff and shake my head. "I've heard stories of these gods and they are far from benevolent." I counter. "Have you not heard of the Sun God attacking the mortals? Burning herd lands?" I may not have witnessed it myself, but I've heard talk in my time around Helovia and with my experience with Janat's gods I am inclined to believe what I've heard. "Gods will never be the same as mortals. They will never form the same bonds because they are powerful and cannot be defeated by us." I can't help but feel that its only a matter of time before they use us as playthings for their enjoyment and it furthers my belief that no god is truly benevolent.

"Even if you don't hate me, Leliel, I don't think I can ever make you love me."

I am thankful that our conversation leaves the Gods, but when Muriel speaks again I find that I'd rather be talking about the Gods than my feelings toward her. There is no going back, though. For several minutes we have laid everything bare, thoughts, feelings, beliefs. Why stop now? The only thing she could do is hate me or love me and if she hates me then its only one more person to add to the list. If she loves me ...

I don't know.

I can feel her muzzle brushing against my cheek. Before I had always pulled away as if her touch had burned like fire, but now I am still and allow her to touch me. "I don't ..." I don't know how to love. I sigh and close my eyes again. "How can I love when I've never been loved?" All of the pain I've ever felt is laid bare in that one question and I find myself turning my head so that I can touch my muzzle to hers.

"."

image credits!

Deceased
Brit

Shame flushes pink cheeks as she recalls how horribly she'd treated all the other mares who had dared to hang off Leliel's shoulders like parasites. It still made her feel embarrassed, remembering it. "I only treated them so cruelly because I didn't want them to take you away from me...childish, I know. But I wanted you to feel that comfortable with me, to want to seek me out for conversations. I was jealous, afraid they'd be more appealing, that they'd take the only thing I'd ever wanted to keep." It's hard to admit, especially considering how abnormally sweet he was alluding to being with each word he spoke. Muriel had never wanted to examine her own actions, anyways. They usually instilled in her a sense of disappointment and guilt. Leliel claimed everyone liked her, but he'd never liked her, had he? He claimed he didn't hate her, which she was okay with believing, but she'd been on the wrong side of his temper enough times to know he hadn't liked her before his disappearance from Helovia.

Anger bites at her insides, and her sigh blows warm air towards his muzzle. "Maybe I would have moved on. But even if I did, I wouldn't have forgotten you. I wouldn't have stopped missing you. Maybe I can't make you believe it, but I know it to be true in my heart." How sappy could the little roseate girl be? Apparently there were no boundaries. If there were, she crashed through them with her brutal honesty and bluntness. Sometimes she wondered where the filter on her mouth disappeared to, the moment she was born. She sure would like it back.

Neither of them are moving, merely standing there, sharing air and nervously laying their secrets out to be clearly seen by the other. It took a lot of courage, even more strength, and Muriel was already beginning to feel the uncertainty setting in. As if her body didn't hurt enough on its own, she had to start attacking her insides.

"His brothers accepted him, he helped burn away the darkness. The Gods grant so many gifts to those in Helovia. Even if you don't trust them, I will do it, if it means giving you back your sight." Her words are final and strong, resonating with surety. Not like her at all, to summarize. But it felt right. Muriel had always believed herself to be weak and useless, but now she was beginning to see that on the inside, she was strong. How she chose to use that stubborn will that had kept her alive in the absence of the male now opposite her was unknown. Truthfully she didn't know how to use it, or what for. If it kept Leliel safe and happy, though, she'd take it.

Exhilarated when he does not move away, her breathing shudders, unsure what to do next. With Onni, touch was easy, almost like a welcome home. With Leliel, she feared so much as blinking at the wrong moment, terrified of shattering such a precious, rare moment. Violet eyes are pained when he speaks, clearly hesitant. "Never loved? Leliel, I have always loved you." She's quieted by their muzzles touching, and she sighs softly in contentment. "I can show you how to love. Even if you end up using it on someone else. It's the one thing I'm actually good at." The thought of teaching him to love, and him not feeling affection for her, nearly rips her heart to pieces. But she imagines him smiling, laughing and nuzzling against some lucky mare, and she realizes that even if it's not her she'd do anything to make him that happy.

MURIEL</style>

Hidden Account
ali
leliel.

"What makes you think I was comfortable with any of them?" I ask when she begins to explain why she had acted the way she had. "I never sought any of them out for conversation. They always came to me, but it was never genuine. I could hear them talking, Muriel. I could hear them daring each other to go and talk to the freak." I'll admit that those fillies from home had me fooled the first couple of times the came to me. Being as young as I was I was desperate to have anyone to call a friend so I wouldn't be so lonely. My childhood was like that. As we all got older the same fillies would keep pulling the same stunt wanting to talk to me and touch me, but it wasn't a dare between friends anymore. It was to make other colts my age jealous and it worked. On more than one occasion I was forced to fight and defend myself and when one of them got hurt it was always my fault. I was always the one punished even though I never started any of the fights.

She insists that she would have missed me if I had decided to kill myself and even though I want to deny it again I know it will do no good. Sometimes I think she's just as stubborn as I am. "You'd have children by now." I say, trying to ignore the way that thought made me feel. Why should I care if she might have had children with someone else. Its not like I wanted them. I had sworn and promised myself that I would never have children for them to be treated as I was. Never. "You would be focused on them and I wouldn't matter." I'm wasting my breath and I know it so I stop my rebuttal right there and let it rest. If she denies it again I'll just let her have the final word and believe that she wouldn't forget about me. She will one day when she realized that I'm just as worthless as the elders said.

His brothers accepted him, he helped burn away the darkness. The Gods grant so many gifts to those in Helovia. Even if you don't trust them, I will do it, if it means giving you back your sight.

"How long before he looses his shit and decides to attack again?" My ears are tilted back against my head again as I pose a question that I know Muriel will not be able to answer. The only one that can answer is the God of the Sun and he and the rest of his siblings are conveniently absent in a time when Helovia needs them most. "I understand that the Gods have done a lot to help Helovia. I get that. But you need to understand where I'm coming from. If they want us dead we're dead. If they want us blind we're blind. Individuals can be so blinded by their faith that they turn on one another. They kill each other in the name of a God that might not even care about them. Faith is little more than a weapon that the Gods use to control mortals. They bestow gifts to keep us in line and to keep our faith from wavering and look at how well it works, Muriel. They allow mortals to quest for magic, but think about it. Do the weak ever return from their quests? No. The Gods are merely strengthening an army and one day that army will go to war." I jerk my head, roughly bumping Muriel and immediately I'm still, whispering a quiet apology. "They did this to me because a God told them to. Why would a God give me my sight back? And for what in return? There is always a catch, Muriel, and I'm not willing to be caught in it or let you be caught in it." My voice is firm and I stomp a hoof into the sand for good measure.

"Never loved? Leliel, I have always loved you.

Time and again she has claimed to love me and I've always denied it, but now I can't help but wonder if it could be true. Why else would she help me? ...Unless its pity that makes her help me. I don't know which option I would rather and when she speaks again I remain silent for a moment. "How?" My voice has dropped to a whisper and without realizing that I was doing it I moved closer to Muriel, my neck arching as I tried to keep my muzzle touched to hers.

"."

image credits!

Deceased
Brit

"I never thought you were a freak...I thought you were handsome. If I had known..." she sighed, knowing it was too late to think of what if's. As much as she'd like to shred every single person who had dared to hurt him, it was in the past, and she could not hurt a memory. But memories could still hurt him, and it made her heart drop even lower in her chest to know that. Turning, she brushed her muzzle a bit more firmly against his. "I wish I could go back in time, change things..." A silly wish, surely. Muriel wasn't even sure she wanted to change anything, if this was how it all turned out. Of course, if he was right, would she really have had foals? A light frown tugs at her lips and she tilts her pink crown into his, bumping the bridges of their noses together gently in an act of affection and hopefully comfort. "Maybe. But I hope that even I would not have been so shallow back then...I wouldn't want anything different than where we are now. If we hadn't come to Helovia..." she trails off and her voice becomes strained. There are good and bad things, but she doesn't know which list to center on. Her own growth, or Leliel's blindness?

Distrust is thick in his lyrics when he speaks, and she goes mum, listening to every single word. Trying to understand. Her own faith was perhaps blinding, like he'd said. Taking a deep breath she only jerks a little when he angrily turns his head and smacks her on accident. She similarly murmurs an acceptance of his apology, and tries to formulate a reply in her mind before she speaks. "You may be right. I might be walking straight into betrayal. But I'll be put into their debt, I'll take the fall, I'll do it all if it means they can heal you." She has already chosen her course, and even if Leliel tries to stop her, she will endeavor in secret. One way or another, Leliel would see again. Muriel swore it to herself that she would witness the day when he could see once more.

All spirit leaves him when she speaks, seemingly hesitant when faced with the topic of love and affection. Muriel hums softly as he steps closer, her own neck arching to allow him the continued touch of their muzzles. "Simple. You let me love you. You let me do little things for you like any mate would, and maybe in time you will feel comfortable enough with reciprocating, even if it's just to test it out." She keeps her voice soft, calm. On the inside, butterflies are swarming in her stomach, and she wants to throw herself into his hold. Sadly, she knows he would never accept it. Had to understand, no matter how hard the information was to swallow, that he might never accept her doing such a thing.

MURIEL</style>