the Rift

White Beginnings

Dawn Dancer Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Dawn Dancer had grown tired of flying round and round. Tired of straining her eyes to scan the snow-covered found for life. Of course, she had found none. Magnificent wings folded as the war mare glided down into the clearing. Steam rose into the air as Dawn snorted, observing her surroundings. 'Horses have been here. But their scent is stale.' She thought, narrowing bejeweled orbs. Black and white mane tossed in annoyance-the maiden's patience was growing thin. She knows that if she doesn't find a herd soon, she might as well prepare for a pathetic death somewhere in a snow laden field.

But so far she has flown now, so long without a single sign of life. Sure, there were scents and tracks-traces of creatures that might have been. But not now. Dawn could smell something akin to fear and disease in the land around her. Had the mare any choice, she would've at least tried to look for a better place. 'Oh well.' The pegasus sighed in both irritation and defeat. If possible, she wouldn't have talked at all. But it seems like the last, and only choice the mare has now.

"Does any reside here?" Dawn questioned, voice slightly crackling form unuse but still clear and firm. She pawed at the snowy ground, ears swiveling back and forth for an answer. "Well?" The war mare demanded again, into the crisp, cold, silence. After a while, too long, Dawn decided, the two toned horse was almost ready to give up, to find another place where she might find at least better shelter, if not living beings. But that was before shelled shaped ears picked up a dull drumming. ...hoovesteps?

Abishia Posts: 225
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16 HH :: 5 years ~ Birdsong Buff: NOVICE
Wild.
my stories are very somber..

She galloped across all of the dark lands, and into the Threshold. Fear had a strong hold on her, and being away from the cave caused her multiple feelings of stress, but then again freedom. She had been laying, sulking, for almost a day now, and decided she was due for a good run. With the time that she was in her 'Tree house' , a light snow had dusted over the lands, causing the Threshold to be covered in a thin but beautiful white blanket. The cool fingertips of frost had touched the trees surrounding her, the branches turned white with the chill. Beneath her, her clefts sunk into the blanket, leaving hoof prints behind her, and a path where her tail had been dragging. She slowed to an extended trot, her lobes twitching back and forth, and her nares wrinkled, ready to devour any scent that crossed her path. With every step, the lean muscles in her shoulders and rump rippled, and soon became sore from the over-use. She was horribly out of shape. This made her even more determined to get out more. Although daring, the trek was worth it. Hopefully, she would find someone to socialize with.

Then it hit her. Lietarally. Accidently, she had bumped into another mare at a trot. Abishia snorted in alarm, not aware that the girl had been right in front of her. She gasped, and shuffled backward. "My goodness miss! I am so sorry! My deepest apologies!" She shook herself violently, and then stared at the mare. She seemed to have the dazed and confused look that all newcomers had. The patchwork child easily assumed that was true, and spoke again, this time in her soft and calm voice. "Let me start over. I'm Abishia. It's a pleasure to meet you miss. You are in Helovia, the Threshold to be exact. This is where all the newcomers end up. I welcome you to this region." She dipped her dome, smiling warmly. Abishia cocked her back left leg, then twitched her lobes. "There are four herds here. The Foothills, where I belong, Dragons Throat, World's Edge, and the Basin. The Basin only accept Unicorns..." She trailed off, her orbs dancing over the girl's wings. "But the other's accept all races. " She sighed, wondering why she had been so quick to jump to the herds. Well, that was different... Never greeted a newbie like that before. She giggled a bit, and took a few steps forward, now about four horse lengths from the mare. A kindred smile was spread across the white straddled girl, her orbs light and filled with joy. Oh, how she loved to greet the newcomers. "But I must tell you... The time you have come isn't that convenient...."

{ woohooo a newbie -stares- ahaha just kidding :p oopsie, shes not from the throat but she'll welcome your charrie quick then pop out of the thread if you would like :D @[Dawn Dancer] }

ABISHIA

Image Credits

lines
please tag me in any and all posts

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

The Threshold had become somewhat of an oasis; an off-centre island, where sickness and regret could not reach, did not touch the minds of those wandering its breadth. Though the arms of mighty trees were sunken beneath the staleness tarnishing the bitter breath of Frostfall, burdened by the weight of snowy drifts lain upon their reach, the atmosphere had not grown sallow; those innocent native creatures thriving throughout still scrambled obliviously to the silent rhythm of their instincts. They and their world were not cast in Helovia’s darkest hour.

The first snowfall of the season had ceased; its residual lay as powdery carpet across the forest floor and light, sodden troughs betrayed the passage of many before her. Africa’s nose lowered as her trudging paused before yet another and fluttering nostrils tested the scent carefully. The scent had become too familiar; its owner seemed to waft through every landscape she sought refuge upon (like the wretched humidity of summer), and the young grey’s ears hastened backwards as her skull was lifted quickly again. Pale eyes surveyed the area- the direction offered by the churned slush, and those parts which had been flung by a hastened stride.

Africa and Silas had spent the night north of the cave because it seemed the fresh air (well fresher than the disease riddled wind which curdled their stomachs everywhere else), seemed to offer some respite from the woes of the life which deteriorated around her. Her coat had not thickened like it might have should she have been still exposed to the elements, though it was not so sleek and clean with the care she had once tended it with. Such matters seemed trivial nowadays, and though the bite of the coldest season’s arrival was an unpleasant feeling, the cloak which contained her offered relief enough.

With Silas riding and watching vigilantly upon the switch of her pointed withers, Africa began to trail the mare, Abisha, who she could not apparently avoid.

Though it seemed grimly that the herds had been lost- their numbers combined and lives intertwined, the Oracle still felt the pang of responsibility- the coercing pull to find those souls seeking refuge; a home. It seemed the brown and white girl had a knack for seeking them out, and Africa who had little energy to draw from seized the opportunity laid before her. It was the hum of conversation which forced her limbs to still. Stormy-grey eyes shifted forward, stiffening in place, to listen. Indeed it was Abisha, rambling she thought blandly, and the one-winged Pegasus continued forward to meet them with a thoughtful nod offered to each present.

The stranger was marked curiously, a paw as golden as that which Midas wielded covered the shine of one glimmering eye; and at once Africa’s own creamy gaze was drawn to examine it. With her face tilted quietly the pensive creature offered a cool smile, and offered her name quietly. "Africa; I come on behalf of the Dragon’s Throat herd."

Africa

Dawn Dancer Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The arrival of one was made quite obvious to Dawn- the patchwork filly had bumped into her. At first the pale mare looked over her quite severely, ready to scolded the other. But when the war mare noticed how young the other was, her stance relaxed and the cold like in her eyes softened slightly. "Thank you, Abishia, for the introduction into this land. I was wondering about the place." Softer tones now slipped past the female's lips, almost matching the one the Abishia had took on. "Hmm... Four herds, eh? Interesting for me to not see any of them on my way here." Dawn mused, though in her kind she thought she might already have guessed, if not for one hundred percent certain, the answer. "Yes, I believe it's not the best time now, though I don't have much of a choice." As if on cue a ripple of dull pain spread through the war maiden's sore muscles.

The arrival of another was soon announced to her through quiet hoofbeats, falling on top of the snow. Turning her head, Dawn could see the gray mare making her towards the pair. Although her eyes were drawn towards the one wing, she managed a polite nod back and a small smile. "Dawn Dancer, and I reside in no herd yet." She spoke politely, much different from what the war mare usually addressed others with. "May I ask this; is there perhaps a illness or shadowed force plaguing the land? I can smell it on the wind." The mare questioned, hoping she wasn't being too blunt with the straightforward question.

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
She could no more rid herself of that bitter reclusive feeling, than cull those memories (the scars and the fresh gaping wounds) that had provoked it. Beige eyes watched steadily, remotely, the two mares who stood chatting above the wet, cold slush which offered little in the way of homely comfort. She could not deter the sting of her homesickness; Africa missed the desert terribly- the soft warmth of that rust-gold sand beneath the vastness of an open sun-drenched sky. As a chilling breeze swept down through the old groaning timber from the northern ranges, the hair covering the length of her narrow spine shivered unhappily.

Abishia had been a sweet enough addition to the sourness that had overridden the simplicity of her life. Few friends before her had been so tender minded, and always it had been Africa that cradled the world’s sorrow against the kindly warmth of her bosom. When no such compassion simmered through her being; stirred her heart to beat soft radiation through the despair of others, never had anyone before the painted bay and white girl been ready with a shoulder to wedge against her fall- the rise of an unexpected friend had been equally as shocking as it had been welcome. The grey breadth of whiskered lips curled at last into a meagre smile; the best a fraying soul could manage.

Before silence could rise its brooding walls between them, Dawn Dancer introduced herself civilly and the one-winged mare nodded quietly in response. The other then questioned the health of Helovia and Africa’s eyes narrowed thoughtfully; intrigued that one so new could be so brilliantly perceptive. With wings trained to each flank though, she presumed perhaps the taller mare had executed a courtesy lap around their home- surveying all the ruins of a land once thriving and glorious. "Yes," she answered easily, passing a glance around them to witness perhaps which signs manifested through the Threshold itself. Frostfall had already lain itself overbearingly across the forest, and she couldn’t immediately tell whether the bleak weather had marred the lavish region, or if the wicked breath of Helovia’s Darkest Hour had whittled away the usual loveliness. Certainly, what spread around them now was nothing in comparison to the horrors they would undoubtedly pass in the next hour or so.

"Those who had not been taken and turned into ravenous undead shelter in a deep cave- The Sanctuary. Really we should not linger," she added with a subtle tinge of apprehension to the soft billowy note of her voice. "We cannot presume anywhere else to be safe these days." A grim glance was given to Abishia; strangers before, forced into the same quarters to cower below all manner of evil as it churned hungrily above.

Africa

@[Abishia]