the Rift

[OPEN] she came from the see; and to it returns...

Mermaid Posts: 47
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2hh :: 9 Years Buff: NOVICE
Tzarra
LIKE A WAVE ON THE OCEAN

Having already strayed from the main room I decide to delve deeper. What better way to conquer this fear of the underground than to thoroughly explore it? In the few days of my Helovian existence I’ve not really found much to anchor myself on. The lack of any contact with the ocean, or even signs that I might reach it in the near future, has been very disconcerting. However, I have been assured that there is a plague above ground and however brave I might profess myself to be I am not really much of a fighter and I am not ready to die for no reason.

So I wander alone as I have been since the loss of my family, with the single exception of Alejandro. I speak with images of Alejandro in my head and laugh at his dry jokes. His physical body ceased to be with my forceful expulsion from The Keeper’s domain but he is not truly gone. His existence was a fragment of my own soul, after all and his personality pulled on parts of my mind, my past, my memories. Those parts are still there if I look hard enough. Still, I miss the companionship and the connection. Maybe someday I will be able to return to the universe I came from and find my way back to Avenion. Some very distant someday that I probably won’t live to see…

I shake my head to ward off these negative thoughts and focus instead on the sounds around me as I move deeper into the earth. The crashing roar of fast moving water catches my attention and at first I think I must have gotten turned around and gone up instead of down, that these are waves on an unexpected beach that I am hearing. Then I enter the shimmering light of the next cavern and come face to face with the source of the sound. It is not the ocean, but it is something almost as good. A giant underground waterfall tumbles down the rock wall before my eyes. The drawings on etched in the cave I just left were something but this, this is true beauty.

Drawn forward at a slow, mesmerized pace I approach the pool beneath the falls and lower my head for a much needed drink. Thirst quenched I step back with water dripping from my muzzle and peer into the depths. I am far enough from the place where the fall breaks the surface to see my reflection clearly but I look beyond that and for a moment I imagine that I see a great otter swimming up towards me.

“Hello, Alejandro…”

My whispered greeting is accompanied by a wistful smile as I turn away to investigate a noise behind me…

OOC: for Mermaid to meet @Asch

WE COULD DIE OF DEVOTION
HTML BY SARAHROO
[Image: 52ebd2e176c2b]
[Image: 525f791c057b6]HP: 60/60
"she came from the sea..."
Global permission granted to do anything at any time with/to Mermaid so long as it is survivable!
Tagging preferences: tag away! | Contact Preferences: PM please!
(Am I being sluggish?  Check my status HERE)
HELOVIA HARD MODE

Asch Posts: 25
Deceased
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 8 Months
Brit

Asch and Arwen

I can't find Arwen.

It's not incredibly dangerous, for I'm sure that Mother and Father have their watchful eyes on my paler twin, but I am lonely and wish only to find her. Life is still strange and new for me, for I do not know of the sun, or the sky, or the changing of seasons above the cavernous system I was born in. Darkness and artificial light are all I know, but I am in luck, for being born so late in autumn I might have been easily stricken with sickness for all the storms that rage on in the ice and snow of the lands I should have been born in.

So today I wander, green-gold eyes observing all that is around me, tiny hooves clicking on the stone below. I still find the noises enchanting, and occasionally I will stop and tap at them playfully, smiling and snorting at the tinkling sounds that come from each of my movements. As soon as I grow bored I move on, flicking my cocoa ears and yawning softly. Where is Arwen? I'm growing frustrated the longer I search for her, but I am only upset in order to try and conceal the nervousness that is swirling inside. I can't quite remember where Mother and Father were, and I don't know how to get back to them. I'd been exploring the caves on my own for a while today, but I'd never strayed this far before. It was common for my family to move about the caverns, but I'd only wanted to find Arwen. I had to keep a brave face though, if I didn't what would Arwen think of me?

"Allo?" Speech was still a little strange for me, but I called out nonetheless, peering into the lights ahead. "Wennie?" I move forward a little more, feeling a little uncertain, but there's a form moving about in front of me and suddenly I hop forward on tiny, lanky limbs, thinking it to be one of my family members. "Mommy!" I call happily, only for a voice that is definitely not Mother's to call out the name of someone that certainly isn't me or Wennie. I come a little closer, ears out to the sides of my head, and stare up at the unknown lady a little fearfully. Would she be nice? I wondered where Talbot was, flicking my fluffy little tail nervously. Maybe I should leave...but I was still really curious about this new person. Mother and Daddy never really let me explore much, so I hadn't met anybody else before. I'm sure they would be okay with it though!

"Allo!" I chirped, prancing up to the lady with over-exaggerated steps that I hadn't quite gotten under control. Such long legs were so hard to make work! It was rather annoying sometimes, but today they were doing what I wanted, so I wandered up to peer at the pretty grey lady with the strange, beautiful objects in her hair.

Hidden Account
Tzarra
LIKE A WAVE ON THE OCEAN

At first I cannot see the source of the noise that caused me to turn away from my vision of Alejandro. Whatever it is, it is beyond the circle of pale light that I am standing in and I have been standing here long enough that I am unable to see very far into the darker areas beyond it. Then it makes itself known with a playful, rabbit-like hop, and a joyful childish squeal.

“Mommy!”

I have never, ever been called that before though I’ve always wanted to be. My own dear Zetto died prior to attempting anything resembling clear speech. My heat melts…

I watch the fluff of a tail, also rather rabbit like, twitch back and forth nervously as the youngling discovers I am not who she thought I would be. A small smile sparkles at the corner of my eyes while I observe the worry and confusion play across the girl child’s very open face. It lasts only long enough for her to acknowledge the existence of such feelings before she dashes them aside with enthusiasm and excitement.

All this time I have not moved, I have simply been looking her over. She is a beautiful creature, seal brown with golden highlights here and there. The stubs on her head that appear to be of a horn like substance suggest that she is of my friend Elsiyum’s kind. I seem to be finding a great many of them around here. Not that I mind of course, it just makes me wonder and worry that perhaps those of my own kind never made it safely to the underground. This stranger is tiny and delicate, evidently only days in this world but there is also a healthy strength to her. I feel for the mother having to bring such a fine child into the world here of all places.

Another greeting escapes the foal’s mouth this one evidently meant for me and she comes prancing closer having cast all fear aside. Still I do not move my body not wanting to startle her or get in the way of her awkward legs.

"Allo, to you too little one…”

Seeing her eyes on my mane I toss my head lightly causing the colorful twists of seaweed to dangle forward and the small shells to clash against one another in a musical tinkle.

“I’ve never seen a rabbit quite like you before. What is your name?”

WE COULD DIE OF DEVOTION
HTML BY SARAHROO
Global permission granted to do anything at any time with/to Mermaid so long as it is survivable!
HELOVIA HARD MODE

Deceased
Brit

Asch and Arwen

Even though it's not mommy, the pretty grey lady is just as...well...pretty! I don't have too many words in my vocabulary just yet, but it's a word I hear often enough to remember. The lady turns and smiles at me, and I wiggle closer, happy to be acknowledged and given attention. I loved my family, but with Papa always off doing something and Talbot never wanting to play for too long, sometimes mother became very fretful and Wennie wandered off without me. It just wasn't any fun without more people! But the grey lady with the pretty dangling things in her hair seemed nice, wouldn't mother be so happy when I told her about my new friend? That thought sealed the decision for me, and I stared up at her with my green-gold eyes, smiling without an ounce of hesitation.

She doesn't move, but I don't mind, because I move enough on my own. Mother says I'm a handful, but I think she's silly. I'm much more than a handful! I'm growing every day! How dare she say I'm so small! I'm pretty sure Arwen and I were still the same size too! But I'm brought back to the real world when the lady speaks, and her voice is soft and kind, a lot like mother's. I flick my ears and smile as prettily as I can, because mother always tells Wennie and I to put our best smiles one whenever people come to visit us. Something about newborns being interesting, wherever it is we live. But I know nothing else aside from these glowing caverns, so I don't see what's so special about the outside world mother and papa keep speaking of. I'm not sure I even want to see it.

A cooing sound comes from my throat as I stand in awe, watching her mane tumble down like a waterfall, a cadence of tinkling music in my ears as the trinkets I have no name for click together. "Ahhh, pretty!" And I'm so excited I can't help but dance in place, swishing my fluffy little tail and bouncing to and fro, trying to get a better view of the eccentric baubles. My cocoa nose reaches out to try and tap at one of them, bouncing back immediately whether I touched it or not, wondering if it would touch me back. Was it alive?

Of course my play has to slow for a moment, and I tilt my head at the pretty lady with a curious look. "What's an 'abbit?" I coo, somewhat confused but taking it as a compliment. "But I wanna be an 'abbit!" I chirp, and I bounce around until I realize...oh wait. Hadn't she asked me what my name was? I feel a little embarrassed but I stop with a click of my tiny hooves and look back up at her with a grin. "Asch! What's yours?" That's a sentence I have perfected, despite how young I am, with all the visitors of something called the Basin that come to see Arwen and I. Mother is adamant we say it back correctly, if only to be polite, so I oblige. "And what're those?" I poke my nose towards the pretty objects that continuously catch my eye, eagerly expecting them to somehow magically make more noise, because how was I to know what they were or how they worked?

Hidden Account
Tzarra

MERMAID
AND WE DANCED LIKE A WAVE ON THE OCEAN, ROMANCED
WE WERE LIARS IN LOVE AND WE DANCED

The green-gold gaze is fixed firmly on my face and I think that this child could get anything out of anyone with those eyes and that smile. Lucky she does not want anything from me but attention and that she has already claimed. I watch her cavort and caper about me in growing amusement glad that I have chosen to remain still. Considering the speed and randomness of her movements I would surely have collided with her despite my own surefooted grace. She is a golden-yellow blur of constant motion and then she freezes directly in front of me and stretches an inquisitive muzzle towards the dangling decorations in my hair. Contact is made with the largest of them and they go swinging against each other once more making the odd, tinkling music again. Her reaction is to scamper back in case of a retaliatory bite, or at least I assume that is the reason.

A warm laugh escapes me at these antics, I do not think I have ever met someone more interested in my eccentric babbles than in me before. Clearly it has been too long since I was around children. Her question about rabbits catches me by surprise, a fact I illustrate with an almost involuntary snort. How could even such a young child have never seen a rabbit before? Being one of the most prolific warm blooded creatures alive they are everywhere and I in all my travels have never set foot in a land where they did not exist in some form. Then I remember where I am, where we are. Blast these caves… they are clearly detrimental to the education of the young!

“Rabbits are furry creatures with short, fluffy tails, long ears and big feet. They like to leap and bound about as you are doing. I don’t think they like caves though, the ground is too hard for them to burrow into.”

Ah, and the little rabbit has a name, one she is even willing to share with me. In fact she seems quite proud to say it and she should be, it is a fine name.

“Pleased to meet you Asch, I am Mermaid. If you don’t mind I think I might keep calling you “Rabbit”, at least for today.”

I add the last comment with a wink and a grin. It seems that this is the extent of the attention she is willing to give me with the mystery of the colorful dangly things still taunting her. Yet another toss of my head starts up the small symphony again for the child’s pleasure.

“These? They are… memories… of home, of love, of happiness… all long ago and far away...”

But she, innocent creature that she is, will not understand these things. How does one explain memories to a babe barely old enough to remember the last thought she had? How does one explain love of the deep, destructive, shattering kind to a child not yet comfortable in her own identity? Well, you don’t… at least I don’t… not when her presence has so lightened my mood. I will not return to that sadness to teach her of things she will be happier without the knowledge of. Such is the job of a mother, not a stranger or even a friend.

“That is what they are to me anyway. Anyone else would tell you that they are sea shells and be quite right too. They wash up on sandy beaches in ocean tides after the creatures that once lived in them have abandoned them for whatever reason.”

Oceans, beaches and sea creatures more things she will know nothing of… oh, well. A small, wistful sigh escapes my lips before I turn my sunny smile back on the girl.

“Would you like to have one?”

SWEPT AWAY FOR A MOMENT BY CHANCE
HTML BY SARAHROO | IMAGE FROM WEHEARTIT

@[Asch] Sorry again that this took so darn long.
HELOVIA HARD MODE

Deceased
Brit

Asch and Arwen

The lady's laugh is pretty, it sings in my harks and makes me smile further for her, the sound drawing forth even more happiness. Everything about her is pretty! I don't know any other words for how to describe her, pretty is about the furthest I can go. But I don't think she minds, her face is warm like Papa's, and her pretty things in her mane must surely be a sign that she's nice! After all, why would mean people be pretty? It's simply preposterous! Mean people are ugly, and gross. Nice people are pretty and...pretty. I really need another word fore pretty. But I can barely remember to figure one out later, because she's talking in her pretty, pretty voice and I'm entranced. I stop moving all at once, the rest of me swaying like it wants to keep going, and I stare up at her to hang on every word. The mystery of these rabbits! But they sound soooooo cool. I bounce up and down, excited by this news, and grin so wide my cheeks ache. Well they can just hush because I don't want to stop smiling.

"I wanna be a rabbit!" I squeaked in my little voice, intrigued by the idea of them. Can you play with them? How big are they? Are they as big as a horse? Bigger?! Oh how badly I want to see them, to quench my curiosity! Maybe they would be my friends! But I am saddened when she tells me that I cannot see them, that they cannot come to where I am. "Then I wait!" I cry, determined to find these majestic creatures called rabbits. But I suppose it's okay, because she tells me her name, and even says she'll call me rabbit! I cannot help but to swish my fluffy tail and preen in joy at this discovery.

"Yes! Call Asch rabbit! Forever!" Forever isn't something I really understand but I like the way it tastes. Do words have a taste? Now I'm really curious! But she keeps me from blabbering random words with the pretty music that comes from those glittering, colorful shells. So unique in a world I've only known to be dark. And my eyes go wide as she explains them. Memories? In physical form? It's hard to grasp, but then she laughs and says that's what they are to her. I'm still confused, but I don't want to appear stupid, so I nod my head along anyways. But oh the words that come from her lips! They are beautiful and foreign to me and I long to know their meaning. I want to taste their beauty, roll them along my tongue, let others hear the syllables I cannot find more enchanting.

"Shee...seaaa sells. Shells. Sea shells. But...what's an ocean? A beach?" And I stare at her with wide eyes and eager features, unable to help the shifting of my hooves as I dance from side to side. I just do not know she likely expects for me to not know these things. And then, impossibly, she offers me one! My mouth gapes, and my eyes go wide like big gold coins. "Really?!" I squeak, and my bouncing intensifies. Oh, if I could have just one of those gorgeous things! Maybe I could be as pretty and interesting as her too!

Hidden Account
Tzarra
MERMAID
AND WE DANCED LIKE A WAVE ON THE OCEAN, ROMANCED
WE WERE LIARS IN LOVE AND WE DANCED

The bouncing does not cease. She pauses here and there as my words or the music of my trinkets distracts her but for the most part she remains in bouncy motion. I watch this in amusement and note that her little fluff of a tail flicks enthusiastically when the bounce isn’t quite enough for her. Yes, I think I’ve chosen an appropriate nickname to bestow upon this child. A look of fleeting dismay crosses her features when I inform her of the absence of rabbits in her current home. That dismay quickly turns to determination and I find her certainty that she will meet them someday to be heartening. Surely we can not be confined to this underground world forever and someday she will see the sun, real trees, rabbits… maybe even the ocean if there is one near by.

“With any luck you will not need to wait long.”

More tail swishing, prancing and even preening. My, my, I’d never imagined she’d take so much pleasure in a thing as simple as a nickname. It has truly been too long since I was around such young children. I am reminded now that they find their pleasures easily and everything is a joy or a mystery to them. I must be careful not to mislead the girl with my words, since she seems to be hanging on them so avidly.

“As you wish Rabbit, I will not forget.”

As I suspected, she does not know any of the words I use in attempt to tell her the story of my trinkets. How could she, having seen nothing beyond this network of caves? Perhaps she isn’t even aware that there is an outside world. Ocean, beach… these are things most dear to me. Things I should be able to describe easily even to one who has never seen them. The truth is though that I have not seen them myself in a very long time. Or rather, that I have forgotten the most recent time that I did…

I do not answer the questions just yet partly because I have no ready answer and partly because she has become distracted with my offer of a gift. This appears to thrill her even more than the nickname did. Good, now… how to procure the promised treasure for her? Hmmm…

Turning my head I stretch my neck as far back as I can reach and eye the ends of my long tail as I flick it forward. Once, twice, on the third flick I reach for the shell that hangs lowest and catch it in my teeth. A good hard tug, as my tail returns to it’s natural resting position, snaps the seaweed cord and allows me to place the shell on the ground between us. It is a smaller shell, curved on one face and hollow on the other. I think it probably made up one half a clam’s house prior to being cast of. Currently it sits with hollow side up, pearl white and shining. Leaning down again I give a gentle push with my nose to flip it over. The curved bottom side, now facing up, is a mix of coral pink and purple shading. Ah yes, this one was a gift from Alejandro back in Avenion. I remember now, though I can not recall how he came to have it.

“This was a gift from a friend of mine, it seems fitting to pass it along to you Rabbit. How would you like to wear it?”

SWEPT AWAY FOR A MOMENT BY CHANCE
HTML BY SARAHROO | IMAGE FROM WEHEARTIT

@[Asch]
HELOVIA HARD MODE