the Rift

[OPEN] The Drums Beat Out a Marching Tune [Throat-Welcoming]

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine

[continuation of An Insidious Requiem]
[@[Hamaliel] - @[Midas] or @[Gaucho] for approval - and anyone else]

Megaera felt uneasy in the shade of the Threshold’s canopy. She was a creature of the sky, despite her temporary grounding, and being unable to see the blue above made the Darkness in Helovia seem that much more daunting. She keeps an eye on the stallion as he recovers himself. She frowns a bit at his reply (she never was very good at keeping her emotions from showing on her face). She felt sorry for this stallion, clearly he was in mourning for someone, or something… she thought, glancing down at the piles of ash again, but he still had a bit of an attitude, an arrogance about him that she wasn’t entirely sure she liked. “Come along then, the caves are away to the south.” And the moved forward to lead the way.

The mare felt better once they were on the move. Meg never liked to sit still, and it was soon apparent how much more comfortable she was. Her body was set and smooth in it’s drive south, and her gait confident, even though she kept it slow for her injured companion. She didn’t talk much as they walked, keeping her eyes and ears alert for signs of wraiths. Once, along the edge of the forest, they came across evidence of the sickness, bits of rotting flesh and blood littering the ground. She backtracked instantly, cautioning the stallion to be on hid guard, and took a different path to give the area a wide berth.

As the trees gave way to the open grasslands that surrounded the Heart, Meg picked up her pace; glancing back to make sure Hamaliel was keeping up. As glad as she was to have the sky above her, they were still rather exposed on the open terrain. “We’re almost there, the sanctuary is hidden just ahead. I’ll introduce you to the other member’s of Dragon’s Throat. Our home is farther to the south, and there are other’s that have taken refuge there as well. The Throat is friendly with most of the other herds, the Edge of the West, and the Foothills of the north especially. And the Asylum, they’re an odd bunch, but they’ve allied with us in the past. The Unicorns of the Basin are not a friendly lot, they think anyone without a horn is scum, I’d avoid them if you can.”

“Here it is.” She said as the came to the wide opening of the Sanctuary and led the Stallion underground. She stopped just inside to let her eyes adjust to the dim lighting. Bodies were dotted along the wide cavern, and Meg spotted some other members of the throat that she motioned towards her and her companion. "There are several caves that branch off of this one, which you're free to explore and water to be found through there." She motioned to the left of the cave, where the wall opened into the Hall of History.

megaera
someday we may see a woman king, sword in hand
swing at some evil and bleed

FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Hamaliel Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Hamaliel
i'm finally broken, falling too far
burned up in pieces from chasing your stars
The journey to the caves is difficult. Every movement sends a shot of pain through my shoulders and I know if I keep going this hard I may not even make it to this help. There is one positive this trip, the mare doesn’t try and hold conversation nor does she ask questions which allows me time to process and get lost in what is now my fragile mind. Right before I drift off I can see rotting corpses and my lip curls back in disgust. If she ever does speak to me I keep my responses curt and try to avert diving any deeper, I need to keep everyone at arm’s length for the time being, if I ever let any of them in. Even thinking about befriending these mortals is almost hilarious. When I was amongst my brethren I wasn’t the type for ‘friendship’, relationships had proved themselves a mere trifle, because in the end they hadn’t made my duties any easier. It wasn’t like very many were interested in my friendship as I typically was hunting and when I did return it wouldn’t be uncommon for my body and armor to be caked in blood. Hm, I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised that no one would be interested in me other than Samael. The thought makes me smile but the mare speaks and I snap out of whatever nostalgic trance I was in and listen.

She goes on to explain the other herds that reside within these caverns. My brow lifts at the mentioning of supremacist unicorns. I will avoid these mutant equines as I don’t need to deal with mortals that need an attitude adjustment. Once we reach the Sanctuary I stop and look at the pit in the ground for a moment before following the mare into the darkness. With each step I wince, the pain is starting to get a bit too much for me and I know I need to rest. Her head gestures for others to come, and I am overwhelmed by the amount of bodies. I turn my head towards the caver and make note of it, later I will find a pool to delve into to soothe my burned shoulders.

“I’m not the type to sit about idly,” I begin, perhaps I am being bold with my words but it’s worth a shot to press for some information. “But I am also not precisely a warrior… Does this group have somewhere a um… Assassin could thrive in? Even if it’s simply duties that require stealth… I am a creation intended to be used.” Assassin is not the right word, but it’s the best way I can put my former duties. All I want is purpose, no, all I need is purpose. I was created to have purpose and a duty, not to simply ‘enjoy life’.

"blah blah blah"
image credit

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
Restlessness had been set into her heart long before the herd had been forced to take refuge, hidden away from the vast comfort of the star-spangled night sky. For more months than she cared to figure, Africa’s mind had been a troubled web of secrets, bitterness and antipathy; all of which had forced her withdrawal from the flow of mainstream herd-life over time (memories as terrible as those haunting her sleep, easily corroded the mildness of a feeble heart). Though the hard shell making her lovely dappled exterior seemed pleasant enough- normal even to the eye that had not known the sweet childish ignorance of the seasons past, internal conflict stirred her disquiet, and now with the darkness eating Helovia the Oracle could simply not unwind.

Wandering away from the Wall of History- a place where meditation aside from self-analysis came relatively quickly, the one-winged Oracle looked with a heavy gaze towards those still mingling in the room nearest to the doorstep into the open; The Sanctuary which seemed now to be as bustling and awkward as the pine-rich Threshold. More herds had come, though the natural relief which had welcomed them down had dwindled away. Although it had been decreed that all the population must meld together and resist the plague, Africa could not find peace while those Unicorns who had robbed her lived in the same quarters. She had not seen those present that day- yet, and certainly she wished never actually to find them at all. It was hard though, everyone was beginning to smell musty and dank; the dust of their homelands was fading fast.

Pale eyes found a few familiar faces scattered around the chamber, but none she particularly felt inclined to approach. The art of small talk had been lost for now, and the desire to push herself to interact was weak. Quite unpredictably though, intrigue was roused when she found Megaera near to the corridor which led outside, standing with another who did not look altogether well. Lethargically she approached, but her expression stiffened into a careful smile when the shadows released their grip. "Friends," she greeted the pair amiably (any winged horses were respected- except the blue, lightning mare from the northern forest), soft voice easily hiding the rampart disharmony beneath. "…I’m glad to see your safe return Megaera." Personally, Africa held no want to put herself in harm’s way- kudos to those braver than she. Thoughtfully she glanced to the stranger, dipping her face as a friendly gesture while quiet concern formed throughout the wrinkled sockets of her almond-shaped eyes. "I’m Africa, the herd’s Oracle. Are you alright?"

Africa

The stallion definitely looked worse after their journey, and understandably so. Meg had kept them at a fairly quick pace throughout, but now that they had reached the end, it was time to rest. She was eager herself, to take refreshment and rest in the farther caves. Once she’d slept and was sure Hamaliel was alright, she would be off to patrol the area once more. About to suggest they move farther into the caves, Meg held back her words as the stallion spoke instead. She chuckled at his first words, she was of the same mind. “Nor I, to be sure, but you should heal some before venturing out again.” As his words continued though, amiable amusement shifted into a bemused interest. Have I just brought an assassin home for dinner? When she answered, she chose her words carefully. “Perhaps not an assassin…We in the Throat like to do our fighting face to face. We have need of infromants though, but you’ll have to speak to one of the sultans about that, Midas or Gaucho or Shadow, our sleuth. I never can tell where she is though, I haven’t yet seen her in the caves, you’ll be able to fond on of the Sultans easy enough.”

The mare pauses, and is saved from having to say more by Africa’s approach. Catching sight of the grey mare, Megaera’s face breaks into a small smile, but that is instantly tinged with worry. Meg had liked the mare instantly on their first meeting, but she was beginning to notice more and more that the mare was more troubled than she let on. “Well met, Africa, It’s good to see you well. But where’s Silas?” She had yet to see Africa without her magnificent bonded bird.

“Africa, this is…” She hesitated, glancing at the stallion beside her. At their meeting in the threshold, it had been his name that seemed to trigger his grief, so she decided to give the first he’d given her. No need to injure him more now. “This is Lee, a new arrival to Helovia. We were lucky enough to make it here from the threshold”

[Short and a bit lame, I know. It's way past my bed time!]

megaera

FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas
</style>

see the lightening
in their eyes

Megaera, a proving young soldier returned from her ventures in the outlying lands. I smiled welcomingly as she slipped down from the murky light above, trailing a newcomer in her wake. Africa emerged from the shadows, Fina chirped weakly from her little spot behind my shoulders between feathers; aqua eyes peering round to gaze past my neck and search for the familiar nightbird that was almost never seen from Africa’s side. She’d grown less irritable around said avian, though it was hard to tell on most days if her distaste for Silas had been temporarily fixated on hatred for this cave.

Though she had little room for complaining. There was still ample game to be had in the above world, and the wraiths seemed to be less concerned about the birds flying above and the mice which darted below. I stepped forward, tendrils leaving a flaming trail of heaven fire. My frame slides easily in beside Africa, who like most in company was of larger stature; (though do not think that I’m easily ignored), my eyes rise to meet those of our new brother unflinchingly and kindly, “Aye, welcome Lee. I'm Midas.” Crown slips down a notch, a nod of humble respect that was due. Pitless gaze slips toward Megaera. “It pleases me to see ye safely back. Is the darkness spreading even as far as Threshold and the forest beyond?” Africa catches my attention for a moment, I can feel Fina staring at her earnestly before turning pools to linger on the newblood.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Hamaliel Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Hamaliel
i'm finally broken, falling too far
burned up in pieces from chasing your stars
I listen to Megaera as she gives me a warning. If she thinks I would simply walk out about when there are demons lurking about she believes me a fool. Then she proceeds to give me an explanation of ranks. “Ah, not the type for skulking about? I assumed such a thing, but an informant sounds like something I could potentially thrive in, I’ll make sure to speak to those individuals you mentioned.” Humor laced my first words but it faded as I continued on. Funny how easily I can joke despite everything that had happened today. Honestly I don’t want to speak with anyone and just want to find a nice secluded place where I can simply process. My eyes shift towards a figure that comes toward us, and I find my interest piqued when I notice the lack of one wing. I do my best not to stare and shift my gaze as quickly as possible. Just like Megaera, this mare has flames roaring in her mane. My head cocks and my eyes narrow slightly, and I begin to wonder why these mortals bear such divine appearances.

Behind the one-winged mare comes a stallion. He’s smaller than each individual there, but I still find myself staring. Upon realizing the one-winged asked me a question I turn my gaze towards her. “I’m alive, so I consider that to be something.” I’ll never understand why these strangers hold any concern over my wellbeing. There is nothing I’ve done to earn it. If they knew who I was, then they’d most likely not want me anywhere near their band, as where I went death swiftly follows. For a period of time that could’ve been a literal statement, and my mind drifts back to the days where I had that angel of death glued to my hip. Only his fall had pulled us apart. “When I stumbled into this place there was no darkness, even after I was struck nothing came,” I snap my mouth shut as soon as the words come out and an alarmed expression crosses my face. The last thing I need for them is to ask questions. I do my best to regain composure and shift my face into it’s typical guarded and blank expression. Five hundred and forty seven days and I still haven’t remastered the art of concealing my feelings.

Pride wants me to spit on the gift these inferior beings are presenting before me, but I know better. I’ll wait until I’m healed and paid back my debt before I turn and search for something… There has to be something out there for me, and I don’t want to believe that it’s serving under a mortal. Right now I need to swallow my pride and use what has been presented to me, clearly these individuals are a gift from my father so I should appreciate it. “I know at the moment I am of no use to you and your herd, but once I am healed, I have every intentions of paying you back for the safety you have provided me with. I’m not a warrior, but have had much experience in the art of stealth.” And bloodshed. I wonder if the stallion will question such a statement with the youth that is written all across my features. There isn’t a single scar that blemishes my flesh despite the millennia of hunting and wars. There isn’t even a single sign of the wear and tear of time. However, there are scars upon the soul trapped within this vessel. There are signs of wear from the countless sunrises I’ve witnessed. Really I am tired and maybe it is time for a new chapter to begin in my life.

Even if my heart is heavy and there is an evil looming in this land, I will regard all of this a fresh start for me. Let a new page begin in the story of Hamaliel the Father’s prized.

"blah blah blah"
image credit

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
"Foraging..."

The smile lingered, perhaps not fooling the smaller bay nearly as easily as she had presumed it might. The thought of food was something Africa could not bear in recent months (such was the consequence of compounding stress), and though her concerned bonded often parted to gather staples and fruits for them both, his efforts were mostly in vain. The dappled mare’s pallid complexion tilted casually as Megaera introduced Lee, and warmth pooled quietly in the softness of her watching beige eyes. Indeed she knew the danger insinuated beneath the veil of informal chatter- the Oracle had ventured through the darkness above one time only since their descent into this mass tomb, and she had no desire to part with safety again.

Straying gaze fell beneath the gilt glare of the Sultan’s bright eyes and velvet nostrils rattled an otherwise silent greeting. Swivelling ears caught the light sound of Fina’s voice, but she barely reacted- half-heartedly her mind called for the star flanked Zephyr who so obviously favoured his opposite (in almost every single way). Midas' body pulled comfortably alongside the Oracle and all attention reverted back upon the newcomer while he spoke. Though the Threshold’s potential plunge into sickness was a flicker of worry; she stilled cared, still pined for the wellbeing of her family, Africa was more caught up about the swell of characters filling ‘their’ sanctuary- the horned ones, possible northerners.

Still, no other knew her anxiety or its foundation, so she bristled away those feelings for the time being. Boldly she nodded- hoping to appear likewise, as though her primary focus was along the lines of the darkness... and Lee.

Struck? The word caught the Oracle’s waning interest, drawing quickly both her long ears and lethargic gaze to investigate the overo’s expression a little more carefully- briefly though, she looked to both herd-mates to find their reaction; should they have noticed at all. Africa was a perceptive creature by nature and for the sake of her allotted career, and such curiosities did not pass her shrewd ability by so easily. His anxiousness was quickly masked with blandness and she chose to hold her tongue considerately- they all had secrets and wounds buried beneath life’s relentless passage; and she knew all too well unwillingness to share.

As his composure resumed, leaving no trace of that glance offered into his hidden past, Lee continued- presumably down another trail of thought and Africa followed cautiously; listening ever more closely to the manner of his speaking. He mentioned stealth and her nose wrinkled involuntarily. "I have not seen Shadow around for a long time..." the one-winged mare mentioned suddenly, wondering in respectful silence if their sister had been stolen as well. "...Before our Sun God’s warning was the last time. She would be your finest coach, if she were here...” Thoughts turned to the child which had been born to the Sleuth then, and her stomach sank heavily.

Africa

[@[Hamaliel] @[Midas] @[Africa] Thank you guys for being so patient! I should be back on the posting train now :)]

Meg couldn’t exactly pin down how she felt about the spotted stallion. Her seemed polite enough, and her certainly wasn’t attacking anyone, but he had an arrogance about him, and definitely things in his past (and maybe a not so distant past) that her was trying to hide. As Meg puzzled over that, the memory of her father’s last fight came unbidden into her mind. She didn’t regret it, not really… he’d deserved what he’d got, but she wasn’t to proud of it these days. The mare gave a small shake of her head and the shard of bone in her mane rattled softly, her reminder f what had been, and of what she never wanted to be. We all have a past to shake loose, and I’ve been given that chance, why not give that to him? Still, she wouldn’t have to put up with his attitude if it persisted.

As Africa greeted Hamaliel, the spotted stallion seemed to stare at the flames the covered them both. “The flames are harmless. A blessing from the Sun God, patron of our homeland. They won’t do much to fight the monsters at our door, but they burn as a talisman of His light against the spreading darkness.” Meg’s expression warmed as she spoke of the Sun God. She longed to meet the mysterious figure, but she had already been a witness to his power in the lands, and the flames had given her confidence out in her nighttime patrols.

The painted sultan approached then, and the bay mare gave a deep nod of her head as he spoke. “Thank you, Sire. It is good to be back amongst friends and find you all safe as well.” Lee seemed to answer the Sultan’s question before she could, and his answer was indeed a little puzzling and even more so was his reaction to his own words.. Struck? More of his lofty secrets I suppose. she thought, glancing at the him before shifting her gaze and reporting to the Sultan. “The Threshold seems untouched, but I fear the darkness if spreading. Everywhere else I ventured had evidence of the foul creatures.”

Her news was grim, and Meg felt the weight of it as Africa suddenly spoke up. Trying a smile of encouragement, the bay mare reached out to nudge the grey under the chin. “We will find her again, sister, and we will go home again. I do not believe this darkness will endure.”

megaera

FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas
</style>

see the lightening
in their eyes

I listened as the new fellow reported, his words coming as a boon to bring forth rare good news. It would seem that at least some of Helovia’s forests held enough old magic in their soil to shield the wide oaks, pines and fern from darkness. My phoenix bonded chirped, her eyes slipping wider and a small avian smile creased across her predator beak; she forgot about Africa’s absent companion at the idea of meals to come. Needless to say, Fina was rather pleased to hear that some old hunting grounds might still be intact. Our friend also spoke about the coming weeks, and duties that he expected to be a part of. I half nodded, trying and failing to stay positive while a tight lined frown stretched my face into a solemn expression. Who knew when we were going home, or even if?

Africa mentioned that she hadn’t seen Shadow. I started, one ear jerking toward her and tail lashing against my patched pelt as if something had just snapped at right flank. Eyes darkened and narrowed upon remembering when I’d last laid eyes upon her, and the soot colored babe at her side. She had likely traveled with her mate back into the Basin, with her blood still hot upon my legs. Cool in tone my lips broke apart and added with a nod toward our newblood company, “Tis good this evil is being held at bay, make use of what resources ye can find.” To Africa I added an echo of what Megaera just said, “Yar, she is a strong girl. Shadow, isn’t easily broken.”

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]