the Rift

I'm Not Strong Enough to Stay Away

Ratri Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Ratri drowsily opened her eyes to see that dusk was settling over the land. Just as well, this place was miserably hot during the day. As she had traveled farther into the territory, the blistering heat of the day further confirmed her thoughts on the solace of night. She had stuck to these trees as well as she could, trying to find some respite from the sun beating down upon the land. Someone had apparently pissed off the Sun.

Her dark eyes scanned the area carefully and her nostrils tested the air. She didn’t see or smell anything in her vicinity so as the forest awoke to the night, so did she. She heaved her strong frame from the bed she had made near the base of a tree that had not succumbed to the heat. There were several bushes in the area that concealed her spotted form from enemies. Being on her own had taught her many things… One of them being, you don’t want to be surprised by visitors, equine or otherwise.

Her white coat was dappled with black and grey spots, a leopard appaloosa. After she stood, she shook her body from head to rump to shake off the rest of her stupor. The moonlight caught the stark white of her mane and tail and the black pieces mingled into the ever darkening area. She tested the air again before moving forward at her usual lackadaisical pace.

The scent of others reached her with a start. It appears I am not alone… she thought to herself as she stopped dead still. A slight breeze from upwind drifted toward her assaulting her nostrils with the scents of others. A heavy sigh escaped her… It was time to stop this wandering. Her mother would want her to join a herd, to be a part of a family… Ratri did want her mother to be happy even if she couldn’t be with her.

Ever cautious, Ratri remained upwind and circled around the edge of the various gatherings in the forest, her hooves making a light noise on the drought-striken grass beneath her. She tried to not intrude, she tried to steer clear of what appeared to be stallions in deep conversations with mares they wished to take home with them.

Ratri was not the kind to initiate conversation; she was not the kind to be welcome wagon either. Her demure demeanor kept her on the outskirts of the activity. Most of were leaving… Heading to their respective homes for the evening. She smiled at their retreating forms, the dreamy look of someone who has missed being in the safety of a herd overcoming her before she shook her head… She would find a herd. One way or another.

When she finally found a suitable spot to stop, she was higher ground, a place where fire had turned the forest to ash. Her hooves kicked up the soot, revealing the tender shoots vainly trying to sprout underneath. Her hoof beats were muffled here… She turned around to look down, her favorite vantage point. The forest was thicker in parts that others, her little knoll didn’t provide her with much of a height advantage… A contented expression came over her nonetheless as she cautiously lowered her head to snatch up some of the tender shoots, her black ears working overtime to make up for her lowered guard.

Aure Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

She broke down and let me in, made me see where I've been

I sauntered through the Threshold, ready for some fun with whomever I may meet. It was my job as a soldier to invite others into the Dragon’s Throat, to give them a home and an extended family. Azzuen had taught me this, and I wished to uphold my duty and promise to the general as wholeheartedly as I could, staying true to my position. I scoured the Threshold from time to time, searching for others not known to us and attempting to welcome them into the herd. I enjoyed my job and being congenial was invigorating to me; the company was wonderful and the new personalities I always met were refreshing.

I continued to swish along under the trees, when I spotted a horned mare perched on a tiny cliff, picking at some small sprouts of life poking through soot and ash. She looked content, her mottled body relaxed, with her ears keeping guard over her for sounds that could be threatening. A soft bark was emitted from my withers, as just nestled on my wings was my new forever company, whom I had rescued from a snake. The Arctic fox pup’s ears perked up and her little nose twitched at the scent of another. Her hackles faintly rose, and her green eyes were determined to protect me. I soothingly shifted my wings and assured her that this mare was not a foe at the moment.

The fox was not greatly encouraged by this, but she still had much learning to do. Reluctantly, she settled back among my feathers, grumbling ever so slightly. I sighed at the fiery little pup who had taken such a fast liking to me. I supposed she viewed it as a life for a life and was eager to protect the one who had saved her. Still, she must learn that not every other we met would be harmful. “Hush yourself, little Neige, there is no need for worry. She seems to be safe.” I whispered reassuringly to my little fox and slowly approached the spotted mare.

“Hello? My name is Aure, Dragon’s Throat Soldier. You must be new. It is always wonderful to meet others. Have you found yourself a herd yet?” Neige’s growling became a bit louder, forcing me to shush her as to not scare off this unicorn. Trembling slightly, I smiled at the mare, nervous because this was my first recruit. I prayed to the Earth God that all would go well.