the Rift

[OPEN] Claustrophobia.

Nasreen Posts: 160
Up For Adoption
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 (Orangemoon)
Adoptable
It is cold down here, and it feels like forever since the sun once warmed her back. Nasreen shivers, feathers puffed ridiculously in an attempt to keep herself warm…and make herself seem bigger. Who knows what lurks in the darkness? She has not been here long, but she already hates it. The sky was not just her playground; it was a safe haven where most enemies could not follow her. But now she is earth-bound—no, worse than earth-bound, she is trapped under layers of rock and soil, and she still can’t seem to shake the feeling that she is suffocating. What’s worse, she’s lost Quil.

She won’t cry, for fear of making noise, but she most definitely wants to. She is alone, and she has been for several days. She doesn’t know what happened, only that aboveground, the world has turned to ash, and the Edge is no more. The most terrifying creature she’s ever seen is up there, though, and she wonders if that has anything to do with what’s happened. For three days, she flew above Helovia, and for three days, she saw no sign of life. She was beginning to fear that she was the only one left, when she caught a glimpse of a small group disappearing into the earth not an hour ago. She had been reluctant to join, but eventually fear won out, and she had ventured past the well-hidden entrance.

She sees a light up ahead, and she quickens her pace—is someone there? Perhaps they can tell her what on earth is going on.
Please do not tag Nasreen except for in opening posts and in spars!

Mermaid Posts: 47
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2hh :: 9 Years Buff: NOVICE
Tzarra
LIKE A WAVE ON THE OCEAN

After stumbling through the big network of caves I find I’ve come full circle back to where I started. It has been a few days now since Lena brought us here and I suppose I had better locate Elsiyum and make sure she is recovering alright. It is cold and drafty inside the cavernous main room for though the entrance is well hidden it still lets in the air from above. That winter chill added to the fact that it is naturally cold in rocky underground caves anyway makes the Sanctuary something less than pleasant during Frostfall. Muttering under my breath as I stroll along listening to the echoing drip of water trickling down from the ceiling I find myself feeling more dreadfully alone than ever though I am among many in this central gathering area. Drawing near to the entrance tunnel I begin to shiver violently and am oddly pleased to realize that this shivering is from cold alone and nothing more sinister. My shakes and tremors have so often been from fear lately that having them from a more natural cause is heartening though still uncomfortable.

I’ve now traipsed across this entire cavern from end to end and found no Elsiyum. Troubled I am turning to go back and poke about in the various gatherings of strangers and small hidden corners when I hear hooves approaching from the tunnel. Stepping to the side so that the new arrival might have a clear path without crashing in to me I watch her entrance. I get a good full view of the stranger as she comes within the main cave. She is young, and slender, a little haggard but no more so than the others I’ve met and certainly less than I am sure I look. Her patterning is bold but wholly natural and great, long wings extend from her side. Those wings make me smile as I recall the little “bird” I encountered in the Pit and they make me cringe inwardly for the young mare who no doubt feels even more trapped in this place than I do. She too is shaking with the cold…

“Come here child…”

I call out from my place off to her side in a soft, kind voice.

“We will be warmer if we stand together. Are you looking for someone? Perhaps I might help…”

WE COULD DIE OF DEVOTION
HTML BY SARAHROO
[Image: 52ebd2e176c2b]
[Image: 525f791c057b6]HP: 60/60
"she came from the sea..."
Global permission granted to do anything at any time with/to Mermaid so long as it is survivable!
Tagging preferences: tag away! | Contact Preferences: PM please!
(Am I being sluggish?  Check my status HERE)
HELOVIA HARD MODE

Up For Adoption
Adoptable
“Come here, child.”

Nasreen’s ears tilt forward, and in the warm orange light that she now sees pouring down the far side of a room just beyond this entryway, she makes out a lithe, thin figure. She doesn’t match her voice, is her first thought. The mare before her is slender and graceful, the color of a mottled pearl, or a shell’s lip, but the warmth in her voice reminds Nasreen of honey and the comfort of heavy, steady solidness. She can see that the stranger is a good deal older than her, and while she does not seem quite as old as her nursemaid back in Thor’qui, something about this mare brings her to mind. Already, she feels safer, as if things will be all right. Her feathers smooth slightly as Nasreen begins to relax.

“We will be warmer if we stand together. Are you looking for someone? Perhaps I might help…”

“Yes,” she replies gratefully, moving toward her unknown comforter. “I’ve lost my brother, Quil…? Quilyan?” The words come out in a smaller voice than she intends, but somehow they still echo faintly through this room, sounding even lonelier. By now, Nasreen has nearly closed the gap between herself and the mare. She faces her. They are close enough for Nasreen to reach out and touch her, to seek reassurance in the warmth of another, but for now, only their breath hangs between them, puffs of steamy air in this chilly outer room. “I’m Nasreen,” she offers, grey eyes meeting the older mare’s dark ones. “And I’m…lost. I don’t quite know what happened up there—” here, she motions toward the roof of the cave with her head “—but, perhaps you do?”

@[Mermaid]

Hidden Account
Tzarra
LIKE A WAVE ON THE OCEAN

I watch the ruffled feathers relax and rest flat in mild amusement. I’ve not quite gotten used to seeing horse-birds yet but I’ve always found birds fascinating in their own right and these “birds” I find even more so. They are more my kind than they are anything else though, at least in my eyes. This particular individual is young and lost and I wish to offer aid as I was offered it upon my own arrival in this land and these caves.

She comes near at my beckoning and I return the warm breaths of greeting.

“It is a pleasure to meet you Nasreen. I am Mermaid.”

She indicates the above world in confusion and I nod in understanding.

“I’m afraid I have no first hand knowledge. I’d only just arrived when I was brought to the safety of the caves. What I’ve heard suggests an… infection… of some kind. Apparently it can not reach us down here...”

I think perhaps she is not new to this world as I’d first expected, only new to the cave system. Well I can help her here where I might not have been able to elsewhere. I think I would remember if I’d met her brother since he is likely every bit as stunning as she. So, I can not offer immediate satisfaction of her wish but aid I will give.

“I do not recognize your brother’s name, nor have I seen anyone who looks anything like you. There are many in these caves though and I’ve certainly not met them all. I have learned my way around however and I offer myself as guide. Perhaps we we will find him in the process. Shall we?”

I move to stand alongside her and cast a glance sideways waiting to see if she will walk with me or not.

@[NASREEN]

WE COULD DIE OF DEVOTION
HTML BY SARAHROO
Global permission granted to do anything at any time with/to Mermaid so long as it is survivable!
HELOVIA HARD MODE

Up For Adoption
Adoptable
“Mermaid,” she repeats, and the word echoes softly in the cavern. It is a pretty name, and even in her despair, Nasreen can’t help noticing that she likes the way it sounds on her tongue.

“I’m afraid I have no first hand knowledge. I’d only just arrived when I was brought to the safety of the caves. What I’ve heard suggests an… infection… of some kind. Apparently it can not reach us down here...” the mare informs her, and Nasreen shudders visibly. “I saw…a thing up there,” she informs her greeter, the blurry and panic-saturated memories flooding back. “I hate it down here, but if this is where the monster cannot reach us…” Nasreen folds and refolds her wings in distaste, dreading the thought of venturing further into the labyrinth as Mermaid suggests. She is disappointed that the older mare has not seen Quil, but she would rather seek him with a friend than seek him alone in a strange and utterly unsettling place. She supposes that she should consider herself lucky—Mermaid knows her way around these caves, and if Quil is down here, they’ll surely find him in no time. He’s probably looking for her already.

“Please,” Nasreen replies, casting a grateful glance at her new friend and protector. “A guide would be wonderful. I know I’d surely become lost in these terrible tunnels by myself—“ here, her muzzle wrinkles in worry “—I cannot thank you enough for your offer. Do…do these caves go far back?” she questions, warily eyeing the passages beyond.

@[Mermaid]

Hidden Account
Tzarra
LIKE A WAVE ON THE OCEAN

Having only heard about what is currently happening under the sky it has felt rather more like a dream than reality to me and I’ve been hesitant to believe. Still, skeptical or not I’ve yet to work up the courage to investigate for myself. Nasreen’s reaction confirms the truth of what I’ve heard and wipes any thought of venturing back above ground from my mind.

“So it really is true then… I hope it does not become a permanent state of affairs.”

Somewhere in the back of my mind lurks a hesitant confidence that it can’t possibly do so. After all I’ve already met an equine who claimed to have been cured of the infection by a healer, and since I happened to have first hand knowledge of that particular healer’s capabilities I find it very hard not to believe in the possibility of victory. With one such as Lena on the side of mortal life, how could the darkness possibly win?

Having allowed my gaze to wander as I faced the full impact of truth I bring my eyes to meet my companion’s again and nod reassuringly. Hopefully she did not catch the war of negative and positive thoughts that ran across my face a moment ago.

“I agree with you Nasreen, these caves as a whole are awful though you probably suffer for it more than I winged as you are. Safety in dark times tends to come at a price, but there are some redeeming features to the underground.”

In answer to her question about the depths of the caves I simply nod again. She will see the truth of that herself soon enough. Encouraged by her firm acceptance of my help I move forwarded taking the role of guide and leader to our little party of two.

“This way then, just yell ‘stop’ if you happen to spot your brother.”

Deciding that our quarry is more likely to be near food or water than in the drafty entrance cavern I move purposefully and briskly towards the passageway lit with a green glow. The rock ground softens as we go and by the time we exit the tunnel the floor feels almost like that of a real forest. My eyes sweep lovingly over the odd little luminescent trees and the blue fungal growths on their trunks. It is a strange place, almost a world of it’s own and I am quite sure that were there fairies in Helovia this is where they would make their home.

“And here is one of those redeeming features I mentioned, a gem you might say. I’ve heard called the glowing room, fitting don’t you think?”

I move further in and lower my head to grab a small bite of filmy grass which I chew and swallow quickly.

“This is the only cave that has anything even resembling food. I’ve sampled all of it, mushrooms included, and it hasn’t killed me yet. Really most of it tastes quite good. Go ahead and try some if you’re hungry...”

ooc: I though it might be easier to keep their exploration in this thread rather than hoping around to the other cave boards. Let me know if you'd rather switch to hopping though... :)

@[NASREEN]

WE COULD DIE OF DEVOTION
HTML BY SARAHROO
HELOVIA HARD MODE

Up For Adoption
Adoptable
Mermaid leads her deeper into the caves, and though she is loath to move further into the earth’s embrace, Nasreen’s trust lies with her guide. Hooves echo hollowly on rocky cavern footing, and it is all she can do not to pin her ears. She is much more sensitive below ground than above, it seems.

As they walk into the next room, Nasreen looks around, taking in her surroundings. It is not so bad here, she tries to convince herself. The ceiling seems to reach rather high in some places, and as Mermaid explains, the plants will keep her alive. That’s something to be happy about, right? Gratefully, she tries a bite of the stringy grass.

Only manners keep her from spitting it out. It tastes slightly mildewed, like it has been underground for too long. There is no crisp crunch that above ground, inexplicably seems to taste of sunlight; there is no freshness that stems from the kisses of the outside air. This grass is limp, and stale, and not at all what she is used to. Her appetite fades. When it comes to it, she will eat, but for now, she will do almost anything to get the taste out of her mouth. Hurriedly, she swallows the mouthful, turning her face away from the older mare so that she won’t see the grotesque expression on Nasreen’s features, which is comically much like that of a small child downing her vegetables.

“Water?” she nearly gasps, all attempts at subtlety sadly thwarted. “I mean…is there any source of water nearby? Someone once told me that streams start underground…”

OOC: Sounds good to me!
@[Mermaid]

Hidden Account
Tzarra

MERMAID
AND WE DANCED LIKE A WAVE ON THE OCEAN, ROMANCED
WE WERE LIARS IN LOVE AND WE DANCED

Having continued with my own meal I do not notice my companion's reaction to the food. This is probably a good thing for I am not certain I could have kept myself from laughing and that would have been quite rude. Anyway I failed to notice, so when she asks for water I take it as a perfectly natural request.

“Yes of course, there is a stream that cuts through this cave over… um...”

I lift my head and turn a bit to find my bearings.

“Ah, there… this way...”

With a nod in the proper direction I set off away from the entrance walking first towards the center of the cavernous expanse then off to the right where a bend in said stream brings it nearer.

“Here we are. There are water sources in other caverns that are safe but this stream seems to be the purest.”

An arrangement that makes perfect sense, to me at least, given that this cave also houses the only food sources. To assure her that I am not trying to trick her into drinking something poisonous I step forward and dip my own muzzle into the stream. Only after I have very obviously taken a long drink myself do I step back so that she may take her fill. Meanwhile I glance around us searching for anyone who might be her brother. I do not ask if she has spotted him yet for I trust that she would have said as much. No promising figures jump out at me so I shift my attention back to Nasreen.

“Where did you live before you were forced into the caves Nasreen? I would love to hear of it. I was brought to these caves directly upon my own arrival in Helovia and I fear I will be quite lost when it is finally safe to leave them again.”

I insist on believing that such safety will indeed return at some point in the future though I make no bets as to when. I do not think I could stand being inside my own head if that possibility were removed completely. These living arrangements could make even the most sane of individuals go crazy if they were required to spend the rest of their lives in them.

While awaiting the young mare's response I take a few steps away to inspect the vines dangling near by. As I had thought, there are little twinkling blossoms nestled among the leaves. Intrigued I pluck one, two, three and tuck them each in turn into my woven seaweed pouch intending to study them later.

SWEPT AWAY FOR A MOMENT BY CHANCE
HTML BY SARAHROO | IMAGE FROM WEHEARTIT

OOC: If at any point you don’t want Nasreen to follow in a situation where I’ve assumed she has just write your post that way and I will adjust accordingly. :)

Nasreen

note to self: Mermaid's pouch now contains three "star flowers" from the glowing room...
HELOVIA HARD MODE

Up For Adoption
Adoptable
Water. As soon as she sees the stream, the mare dips her head to the bubbling current. Gulping down a mouthful, she is relieved to find that at least the water here doesn’t taste funny. It is cool and fresh, and though it has never seen the light of day, the babble of the little brook is soothing. If she closes her eyes and ignores the echo of the water on the cave walls and the damp smell of the darkness, she can almost pretend that she is outside on a drizzly day. Almost.

She is brought back to the caves by a query from Mermaid. “Where did you live before you were forced into the caves, Nasreen? I would love to hear of it. I was brought to these caves directly upon my own arrival in Helovia, and I fear I will be quite lost when it is finally safe to leave them again.” Upon hearing this, Nasreen smiles sadly. “It’s a long story, I’m afraid,” she replies. “To answer your question though, I met a mare named Kahlua, and she invited me to join her herd at…” here, she falters, trying to remember. “There was a glass wall,” she muses, thinking aloud. “…at the earth’s edge? World’s edge?” she finally guesses, a little embarrassed. “I can’t remember the name exactly,” Nasreen apologizes, explaining her hesitation. “I’m new to Helovia too. I grew up in the kingdom of Th’orqui. It is far from here, but it’s beautiful.” Talking about her homeland, she begins to perk up. “There are thousands upon thousands of trees—oh, and there are godswoods, with special trees, where a different god or goddess inhabits each one—oh! and the palace! If only you could see the palace. You could see the sky from nearly every room…” her voice trails off, leaving only the gurgle of the water to fill the silence. “I miss it,” she finishes, voice breaking. “I came to Helovia with my nurse, Amaya, but she…she didn’t make it, rest her soul. So I’m here now. But when I find Quil, and if we ever get out of these godsforsaken caves, we’re going to find it again.” She nods firmly, even though it is dark and Mermaid can probably only vaguely make out her silhouette—it is more to reassure herself than anything else. “Of course, assuming we get out of here, I can take you to meet Kahlua if you’re looking for a home!” she adds quickly, realizing that her companion seems worried. “You’d like her. She helped me find my way and offered me help when I was lost…she’s a lot like you,” the mare adds with a friendly smile, forgetting that every expression is swallowed by the darkness. “But what about you, Mermaid? If you’re not from Helovia, where do you come from?”

@[Mermaid]

OOC: Sorry that this took so long, but I’m back! Maybe we can wrap this one up soon/in a few posts and start a new one for them outside in present time?