the Rift

[PRIVATE] ♛ tyranny of the slave driver

Confutatis the World Eater Posts: 179
Hidden Account atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2hh :: 9 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Mongrel :: Common Kitsune :: Dark Illusions wanda

Was, at long last, luck on her side? No- not luck, a word she abhors- but Tyradon, a stallion to turn the tides with his verdant, emerald DRAGON. How excited she was for the prospects of their tyrannical futures, an elation which tumbled through her corrupt veins and pounded in the bellows of her shriveled black heart; because finally it was beginning, the future she had always hunted for with dire ambition, but this time, it would be r e a l and she would not conquer alone but with a warmonger beside her, a stallion with fire in his eyes and a baritone voice. She ached at the very thought of their damning destiny; she was vicious in her imaginations of a different world, one ruled by her and Tyradon the night king. Death to those who had scorned her! To Seele, to Circuta, to the precious Asylum- they would DIE, at her hooves, and she would lick the juices from their bloody HEARTS.

She cradled revenge in her revolting bloodstream, carried it with her as a mother would precious child; she crooned to it at night, stroked it during the day, let it flower and fester in the greed of her midnight chest; and it would not be for nothing!

They slither into the caverns at night, without words exchanged. Of judgement she withheld, but she was filled with a deepening longing for Tyradon's help in what she pursued relentlessly- what little they had exchanged when she first stumbled across this PRIZE made her cocksure confident he would be willing to aid her, if not lead himself. Her heart gave a little throb; she was enthralled with the idea, in love with the hope they might just rule (even if together) and her mind ran wild with plans and hopes and ideas. Lady Death; Queen of Skulls; her thoughts ran rampant with titles to hold, to wave over Clownface's head; would there be a Monster, a Dragon King, a Midnight Lord with her as well? Amber eye darts to Tyradon, whom she feels no need to nickname- for he is the ultimatum, and she is convinced of his g r e a t n e s s.

There is a rumble and a roar ahead, which she likens to the future sound of the crowds screaming for their royal majesties, and they enter to a cave sparkling in light of a waterfall.

Mongrel snarls at her heels.

"I am Confutatis," she exhales wickedly, carved pumpkin leer curling at her lips. "Child of demons, as you so acutely put it; and a woman who intends to continue with the family line of work." There is a cock of her head, a singular hum in her chest. Does she dare depart with the knowledge of her failures, and the hopes he will prove better than her in combat? And she does; for hope the warbringer, the not-so-valiant paladin will show himself as a companion to her. "I have tried three times to secure a herdland, and thwarted thrice. Those who have prevented me come with the names Illynx, Apollo, and the despicable Asylum, a group of mongrels made up of inferior intellects... nonetheless, they have defeated me. It is not my intention to lose again to a medic and a group of half-witted insanities; but what plans are necessary to concoct, I am unsure of, which is why I am desiring of your input... your help in leadership, for I feel we are k i n d r e d spirits."

CONFUTATIS

image credits

Tyradon Posts: 106
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2 :: 14 Buff: NOVICE
Cynder :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath Snow

He follows her, crossing the scarred surface of Helovia to the caverns. Their journey is taken in silence; he is content to trail at her side, following her lead for once. The darkness he sensed in the Threshold only intensifies as they head through the depths of Helovia, and it threatens to send a shiver down his spine - no doubt it would have done had he been a weaker man. Excitement is also beginning to pulse through the warbringer's system, sensing he has found an ally in this mare with her two-tailed companion. In comparison with the other who had approached him in the Threshold - that foolish stallion who lacked the dreams of grandeur that differentiated between a good man and a great man - he can feel the potential rolling off her in waves. Perhaps his optimism is unfounded, as he has known her for mere hours, yet she is a start. Maybe, with each other's help, they can create something lasting here - as reluctant as Tyradon is to see anything as an equal, especially a mare, he knows he cannot fufill his ambition alone.

Eventually they reach the caverns, and the warrior's massive skull swings to drink in his surroundings. Cynder leaves her perch on his back and soars away to explore, disappearing into the shadows until they are linked by nothing but their mental bond. Still the leviathan follows the mare, until the thunder of a waterfall reaches his ears; with a screech his dragon returns to him, crashing onto his muscular rump and holding on with claws hooked into his flesh. Water is the one thing that the jade war-dragon is afraid of - she knows that entering it would extinquish her flame-tail, and her life with it. Her bonded soothes her with soft mental caresses, reminding her that she is death, and mustn't fear something as petty as a wall of water. She calms, one clawed paw reaching out to play with his mane in a manner that comforts both of them, whilst her beady yellow eyes dart cunningly between the mare and her mongrel.

The she-devil speaks, finally giving him a name to put to that queerly-marked face of hers. Confutatis. She talks of the family like of work, and the ghost of a smirk lifts a corner of the warmaster's muzzle. "You and I both," he murmurs, thinking of his father and the Oasis that he had ruled - his dominion, his empire. She speaks of failed takeovers, but the notion of loss does not lesson the stud's fledgling respect for her. Even he - warmaster, son of molten ambition and bathed in the glory of a hundred fallen foes - has tasted defeat, albeit just once and only through the underhanded tactics of a magic-wielding unicorn. It is naught to be ashamed of, as long as one learns from it, and enacts their revenge. "They will fall," he says simply, broaching no arguments. Cynder hums her agreement, flame-tail lashing and igniting the air around them. "We share the same goal, Confutatis. To rule, to dominate - we can be of use to each other, as long as that goal remains the same." He puts it simply, succintly - no eternal promises, no pledge of loyalty, simply two warriors who seek to climb their way up the Helovian ladder with fire and blood. "First, tell me of the herds here, and their leaders. I know little of Helovian politics." Yet.

NO MATTER WHAT WE BREED, WE STILL ARE MADE OF GREED

[ we are made of greed ]
[ the regime ]

There is that familiar, sinister tilt to her head, and her skin crawls, shuddering over knotted muscle and tense sinew. She glories in the magnificence of their forceful presence, revels in the wonder of their dominating union; it seethes beneath the surface of heinously scarred skin, a lusty frenzy of excitement and elation. Eyes glitter and gleam vindictively, teeth bare in wild grin before she calms her eccentric ego with a ragged inhale; it would not do to drive Tyradon, her saving grace, away if he thought her a raving madwoman. Spittle drips from her lips, bubbling acidic foam that dribbles onto the soil, hissing and spitting mightily as her tail lashes over her hips, and she sinks back away from him, dancing ever so slightly on her feet.

The stallion mutters, words melting seamlessly together, and her ears pivot forth to catch sound of his rumbling voice. There is a whooping sensation in her stomach- euphoria and ecstasy.

FINALLY! Finally; an equal, a lord, an uncrowned king- she would remedy the loss of his tarnished crown, and they would ascend to the heavens, become gods and deities as Oblivion was to small-minded mortals. She can taste it, that sweet honey of oncoming victory, that overpowers the sickly taste of acid in her mouth; they would be hailed as emperors and monarchs, the true leaders of HELOVIA! He speaks quietly, in belief and not confidence, but simplicity; casually of what she had so hungrily chased for the entirety of her long life; of kingdoms, domination, counties and nations, monarchies and sovereignty.

"The herds disbanded when the darkness and the undead swept through the land," she says, her voice a canyon of wild depth. "There were four: the Aurora Basin, the Dragon Throat, the Windtossed Foothills, and the World's Edge. Each were led by one or two, king or queen; Illynx, of the Basin, and the compatriot I know not the name of; Midas and Gaucho, who I have never met in person; the Foothills, led by the slut Phaedra and the foul medic Apollo; and of the Edge, I know nothing, only that the herd that resides is perilous to their enemies."

Nostrils widen as she exhales. Mongrel twines around her forelegs, perusing memories of blood and gore on a stormy night.

"I took the Asylum as brothers and sisters, but they deserted me in my time of need, and I give no alliance to such filth as them." The demon daughter sneers, not directed to Tyradon; for she is lost in cruel memory and devilish imaginations. "The alliances remain even without the herds, albeit fractured. I do not know if the same leaders will rise from this worm's hole... but I know many of the Helovians are weak. There are few, if any, like us; most are content to act as paladins and knights, cherished guardians of the innocent, protectors of the weak, vanquishers of the proud." The contempt is thick in her voice, loud in her eyes. "You could try and 'recruit', but I doubt we will have luck with that. If necessary, I say we steal and blackmail as necessary to get our way... but we will need a backbone of warriors loyal to make sure we can push through with our ambitions."

CONFUTATIS

image credits
Join the Regime.

Hidden Account

His gaze snaps towards the spittle dribbling from her muzzle, noting how it sizzles and burns; it is not normal saliva, that is evident. "You have magic," he observes, a statement rather than a question. He often laments his own loss of magic; his control over leaves, his ability to use them as weapons. Others had scorned his powers, crushing leaves beneath their hooves and mocking the fact that the great Warbringer could do naught but lift the fallen foliage like a child's parlour trick; they would soon change their minds as the beast used his ability to slash great holes in their flesh with the razor edges of the plantlife, to douse the ground with their blood and listen to the sounds of their shrieks ringing like music in his ears.

He does not dwell on these memories, focusing instead on every word that comes from the mare's mouth - he absorbs them, like mother's milk. Muzzle wrinkles in disgust as she talks of those willing to simply serve, to bend the knee and trundle along in their happy little lives helping whichever ruler took their fancy - why in Nieque's name did they not want to rule? No man with blood in his veins should ever be content to simply follow, when he could have an empire clasped between his teeth; it stank of weakness, of a lack of faith in one's own abilities. Tyradon had no such shortcomings. He was born to rule - and the daughter of Oblivion seemed to share his lofty goals. "What species were these leaders? Equine, or scum?" It is the first time he makes reference to his inherent racism; battleship grey gaze scans her face for signs of reaction. He thinks they will work well together, regardless of whether she shares his beliefs, but he knows their union will be far more successful if she understands his desire to purge Helovia of the horned and the winged.

He continues to listen, until her mouth is dry of words. "Yes, I will recruit. There are bound to be some here with fire in their heart." He thinks back to his previous herd, and the loyalty they offered him without questioning; a small sigh flees his jaws, knowing he will have to rebuild from the ground up. Cynder shifts her position on his back, sending him images of his children, his most devoted servants; he grits his teeth and blocks the pictures, not needing his bonded to remind him of everything he has lost. "If they refuse to join us willingly, then they will join by force." True loyalty was always better than fake loyalty, but while they were starting out they needed anything they could get. Any equines who could not see his point of view would be forced to accept it - he was sure that, with some light persuasion, he could turn even the most adamant of creatures towards his, their, cause. "If we go to the Threshold, ensure we are the first faces they see - they would be fools to refuse us. And once we have an army behind us..." Oh, he can scarcely contain his excitement; pillage, kill, glory!

[ we are made of greed ]
[ the regime ]

Slate eyes rest heavily on her face- no, her lips, her poison and acid- and she itches beneath the weight, jubilant and encumbered by the heaviness, wondering at his thoughts of her (does he think of her as a worthy future Queen? He does, certainly, she cannot believe it!) He speaks, the rolling avalanche of his throat pleasant on her ears, gruff affirmation, and her crown dips in swooping nod, swallowing back the corrosive slime on her lips, even pleased as she is by his simple understanding. Confutatis' throat convulses as she feels the familiar pain of the burn corroding at her windpipe; but an agony worth having, and she responds to his quiet declaration slyly, eyelids drifting low to hood her dire orbs. "Many have magic in Helovia, even if they lack the balls to use it." The questions hangs wordlessly at the tip of her tongue, awaiting confirmation or declination of any presence of magic in Tyradon's bloodstream (if he had it, he must hide it well- astute of him, an opponent would never know what he might withhold.)

The muscles keen and close to the bones of neck tense, and she draws her skull up tall, ears slanting back as she pulls a hind leg high beneath her, warning of a kick to this stallion. Disappointment glints in the scurrilous depths of the hellion's eyes: she did not abhor racism, but thought it folly, for what did looks matter if their hearts rested in the rightly wrong place? Ah, but then, Isilme- with Nieque and Cinnoru and Sepagus.

Mouth parts to offer reply, fluid and rasping. "Unicorns and pegasus, equines put aside. I would refrain from such bias in our search- I see no wrong in pegasus or unicorn, so long as they serve well and faithfully to our future, our cause." Ears tilt forth, forgivance in the tapering lines of her audits, as she returns her gracious attention to him.

In the wallowing depths of her mind Mongrel flounders, furious at Tyradon's audacity and dragon, his open racism, and it flows yonder through to her mind, where she ignores his opinions utterly.

She shares in his excitement at the conspiracies to come, but her face is drawn sharp with the depth of her thought. Certain as she may be with the future glory of their union, she wonders if she can dare to trust him- not with her life, not yet, one day? Head tilts serenely once again, studious glint in copper gold eyes, gaze flicking upwards to the forest green of his dragon, a hint of jealousy evident in her facial features, though no comment springs unbidden to her lips. The dragon emerald is so much more than her mongrel- the Mongrel chafes at her insincerity with him, the careless tendrils of thought she sends to caress the bitter depths of zealous frustration lapping in his mind, who dares to weave dreams of horror in her mind when they sleep, a horrific companionship of evil and murder, slaughter and death.

"Death to those who dare defy the Regime," she exhales, wicked in every aspect, stepping forth to trace her muzzle against the angled planes of his fierce face, stopping just millimeters short of coddling the darkness of his muzzle, breathing out through her nostrils in equine friendship, asking him wordlessly for his mutual companionship.

CONFUTATIS

image credits
Join the Regime.

Hidden Account

A chuckle escapes his jowls, like thunder. "Would that I still had my magic," he murmurs, an idle comment he barely realises he has uttered aloud until he tastes it like poison on his tongue. It had been another reason he felt so entitled as a child; he was born with magic, earth magic no less, of Nieque's own fame. He used his supernatural ability often, as there was naught like the sweet wet sound of a razor-edged leaf slicing through a throat, leaving blood to cascade to the floor - the leaves were far more effective cutting instruments than his own blunt equine teeth. But alas, no more. For a moment he focuses, reaching to the furthest corner of his mind where his magic once lived, but it is like there is a brick wall preventing him accessing that sweet little nub of power. Although he has long since accepted that the horned warlock stripped everything from him, he allows a small frisson of disappointment to spread across his face, lasting for a millisecond before he snaps his expression back to neutrality and attentiveness.

His gaze snaps to her hindleg, which lifts like a threat; he quirks a brow, but his heart is sinking. If she does not share his racist beliefs, it will make things...marginally more difficult. He has no idea if he can be neutral towards anything with horns or wings, as his hatred is simply so deeply ingrained in his soul; but, he reasons, scum that are loyal to him could be a different story. If he can look past their mongrel blood, he can see the potential in them as frontline soldiers - dispensable. "I believe in only equine superiority. The rest...they are mongrel stock. Inferior creatures, fit only to burn." The words spew from his maw filled with such hatred that he can almost taste it, bitter on his tongue. He said such things often in his old life, aimed to indoctrinate and ensure his soldiers harboured no second thoughts about their mission to exterminate. He senses his gospel will not so easily twist Confutatis' mind, however; they will have to compromise. "But, if you can find any willing to serve without question...then I will tolerate them. They will provide expendable brawn to our cause, I suppose, but should any of them put a foot wrong or hint about threatening our leadership..." Cynder releases a shrill cry and a blast of flame pours from between her jaws, illuminating the cave around them; the beast can almost smell the sickly-sweet aroma of burning flesh.

Amongst all the stallion's hate-filled words, he idly notices that he is saying we and our, not me and I. Could it be that he already considers this mare an equal?

He catches sight of her eyeline shifting to Cynder, who is only too happy to display in front of the merest hint of admiration; she puffs herself up, preening and thrashing her flame-tipped tail around so vigorously it scorches away the top layer of Tyradon's back-fur. In response, his own steel gaze drifts downwards towards the two-tailed dog, his own curiosity evident. "Your dog...are you mentally bonded to him? I had always laboured under the impression that we could bond only to dragonkind." He thinks of the foolhardy paint and his hellhound, and a nasty thought occurs to him; if they can bond with things other than dragons, can unicorns and pegasi, too?

No. Surely not. Their minds are too stunted to have that uniquely equine ability.

Her muzzle traces the haggard contours of his face, and he softly releases a warm breath from his nostrils; he does not often accept contact, especially to his face, where the scars are still quite fresh. But Confutatis is different, and he accepts her greeting willingly, with the gusto of a starving man. "Yes," is all he can say, a determined murmur, a promise. Cynder springs from his back and skims the cave floor, scooping a small, shiny stone up in her claws. She returns to the equine pair and lands by their feet, prancing on her hindlegs towards Mongrel and offering him the gift - her own signal of acceptance, and of burgeoning friendship.

[ we are made of greed ]
[ the regime ]

He laughs, and while she does not share in his amusement out loud, she is festive and merry at the positive response! Yet the mirth was destined for a short life; what joy there is dies at his response. Toxic lips tug downwards into a scowl, for it sounds as if magic was stolen from him (the limitations of her imagination constrict her from the ideas of warlocks pillaging wizardry, rather turning to focus on the Helovian barrier which steals and thwarts.) "I am sorry," Confutatis proffers as quiet condolence, despite the present belief that her apology will do nothing to soothe what surely must be agony over that misfortune. "How did that event transpire? I can't imagine it was through choice." It is an attempt at camaraderie, consolation, and she hopes dearly he will recognize it as way to further deepen trust between them, dependence on partnership a concept foreign to her.

Indeed, for a moment her thought drifts to a time where Helovia was lacking in magic. Should she warn him? No, it does not matter, she decides with an inward shrug; the Endless Night had ended, after all, and he had already lost it. Her attentions return, abandoning the curiosities of sorcery and necromancy.

As they face off over matters of racial discrepancy, she readily notes the slight change of mainly stony expression; her heart gives a squeeze of hope they can overcome differences in belief. It is to her relief (though she shows it not) that Tyradon is open to the possibilities of others, even if his voice blazes with acrid rancor. It would not help to constrict and constrain to equine; she could not imagine all the religiously stubborn individuals of Helovia withstanding specisim. With more than a hint of resignation she eyes him, because if that pillar of flame curling from emerald Cynder's mouth was any indication, he may struggle with containing his temper, no matter his reassurances.

Nevertheless, she puts asides her insecurities; she extends her console on the matter of racism, and positives and negatives of embarking on inter-species comradeship. "None will start off that way, dragon king; questions WILL be asked, no matter breed or type. Trust will be built from scratch, in the first seedlings of friendship and companionship." The hellion studies him carefully, as if waiting for another rather volatile reaction; and then she carries on, plucking and pruning words doggedly as to reassure rather than perilously wreak havoc on their plans. "But of course, threats will not be tolerated, regardless of breed. Crown thieves and kingdom rats will be banished... through one way or another."

Death, she could've said; murder and slaughter, but the harlot feels he should be wise enough to pick up the darkening of her sinuous voice.

They carry on to a manner she has thought of since first laying eyes on the stallion. Her wicked leer widens at sight of Cynder's primping; she loves the glitter of those emerald scales. At her hooves Mongrel slithers around leg and fetlock, weaving between her four pillars incessantly, the barbs of his impatience knocking at the back of her skull. Calm down, she thinks to him; but he ignores her and the crude language of equine scornfully. A question hangs in the air between mare and stallion, a wrong label that has Mongrel's hackles bristling. "Kitsune," Confutatis declares, nudging the inari out from under her hooves with an ankle. "Not dog... but yes, we are bonded telepathically through some unknown fact of misfortune. His name is Mongrel- for he is a little monster, I'm afraid." A beast who wove nightmares and created illusions of evil misfortune, but that she keeps to herself.

There is more for her to declare, to speak, to offer, but she hesitates before embarking. Her gaze is gentling inexplicably, a thorn of worry in her side; she recognizes (or so she thinks) the elitism in his voice at dragonkind and equine. If only that was so- but the variations in magic and companionship was not meant to be in a world without the three Originals, with different gods and a different country. For all it's similarities and the Isilmanian populace, this was Helovia, Path to the Sun, a place where magic abounded and respect and fear was lacking, where feudal systems and tyrannies oft crumbled beneath the weight of "better" men. "This is not Isilme, Tyradon, and the sooner you learn that the better off you will be." Confutatis states simply, without pity or empathy, no sugar-coating or honeying. It was better for him to reconcile with the ideas of all bonds and all species than to be dead from a unicorn's griffon or a pegasus' zephyr.

As their bonded embrace without touch, Mongrel scampers forth to greet Cynder; for a moment he glares, lips curling into a snarl, caught between anger and amusement; and then the folds of black fur come down over craggy teeth, and he takes the gift, and he scurries off into the darkness.
He comes back with a mouse to lay at the dragon's feet, and his amber eyes glow unreadably.

Take it.

CONFUTATIS

image credits
Join the Regime.

Hidden Account

His gaze - lowered in its lament - snaps up to meet hers at her apology. It is the first time he has spoken about his loss of magic, and as a result it is the first time he has gained sympathy for it. She asks how it happened, and a thunderous sigh falls from his jaws. "When I was a green boy, I defeated a unicorn in battle. I humiliated him, but I didn't kill him, because I was weak. Years later, when I had...made a name for myself, he sought me out. He used his magic to strip mine from me." Ears pin, hoof pawing as he pictures that bastard's skull crushed to dust. He looks down to Cynder, too, with another rumbling sigh. "I have been bonded to Cynder for eight years, yet at the moment she has the physical abilities of an eight-month-old. As well as taking my powers, the unicorn regressed her to a hatchling, made her helpless." But no dragon was ever helpless, no matter how young - the war-dragon shows him images of her fire once she rediscovered it, singeing the flesh from the bones of their foes. The warlock had died for his sins, but it hadn't been enough. He had ensured Tyradon spent the following months wallowing, waiting for his dragon to regain her strength and for his own humiliation to heal.

If he hadn't hated unicorns before, he sure as hell did now.

He looks back to the mare, his expression - which had softened as he looked at Cynder - hardening once more, to absorb his emotions back behind the mask and ensure his new companion sees no hint of weakness. Despite the sombre tone to their conversation, the beast's spirits are high; Confutatis is saying and doing all the right things, and the burgeoning seed of trust within the leviathan begins to sprout. He listens as she speaks, enjoying her name for him; dragon king. "Dragon king and demon queen," he murmurs, testing how the words feel upon his tongue. They are...agreeable. She is diplomatic, something he sees use in for the future - although he is a natural leader, he lacks tolerance, and is certainly far too shallow to see the potential in anything that isn't equine. He is blinkered, and he will freely admit as such, but this daughter of demons offers him sight. Providing her mongrels do not anger him, he can almost - almost - see the potential in having them as hired help.

He idly notes the tone of her voice, and lifts a blackened brow. "You speak with the wisdom and authority of one who has ruled before," he observes, his words poised as both a statement and a question. Perhaps that was why they got along so well - they had both tasted dominance, and would do anything to have it back.

She confirms that her companion is not a dog, but a kitsune - and that they are, in fact, mentally bonded. He glances down at the creature, fully observing him for the first time. He certainly wouldn't trade Cynder in for him, although he can see that the kitsune must have its own perks. As the mare gives her bonded's name, Tyradon's upper lip lifts in the smallest of sardonic smiles; how ironic, that she has named her partner-of-mind with the same name that he uses for anything that is not equine - something derogatory. This is not Isilme, she says, bluntly; the colossus lowers his skull for a moment, his mind roving back to his home. Isilme is gone now, purged in the fires of racism, but its traditions live on. It is hard for him to accept, but he knows he must; he cannot live in the past forever. "I assume the other species can bond as well, then?" he says, voice bitter; at least he has refrained from his favoured term of abomination. He pities the animals tied to unicorns or pegasi; they deserve to bond to superior minds, not the stunted brains of lesser beings.

Below their feet, the green war-dragon chirps happily as Mongrel accepts her gift; he returns with one of his own, a mouse. With one paw, the dragoness knocks the rodent aside and peels back her jaws to release a thin torrent of flame, so hot Tyradon can feel it warming his feathered fetlocks. The mouse sits, smoking gently, the meat cooked through; Cynder rips it in half with her claws and casts one half back to the kitsune. Her portion disappears down her gullet in seconds and she shoots her newest friend the draconic version of a smirk; try it.

[ we are made of greed ]
[ the regime ]

Eyes of steel and silver race upwards to settle on hers; muscles coil beneath her in wariness of his gaze, shifting weight- she does not like having horses meeting her line of sight, when all should bow to her, no matter their age nor ranking. She reminds herself, resolutely, that this will be her Dragon King when they climb over battered bones and broken backs to their throne of blood and ruin. It will not do to be lacking in trust when they must uphold each other in the days and weeks to come, and so she forces tension from her pores, settling loosely to watch. And listens she does, to her heightening astonishment to a story of warlocks and sorcerers, of mercy; her head tips in gentle question, wonderment of this curiosity. "Mercy has no place on a battleground..." she speaks, her voice a hoarse thing of wicked knives and instruments of death, lazy grin peeling away charcoal from craggy teeth, "but I've imagined you've learned your lesson." Her gaze flits to the winged drake emerald; her eyes narrow slightly, calculating, imagining, and offers condolences to the dragon. "I am sorry, Cynder, I imagine it must be even more frustrating for you than Tyradon here."

She wonders if she should advance, to place a kiss on the softness of his charcoal cheeks.
Confutatis refrains. Tyradon is already sexist, and it would be intolerable for her to be falling over herself hoping to get fucked; lips twist into unsightly sneer at the thought of milk-sucking children, and Mongrel's disgust comes electric through their bond. This is a union born for war and combat, for death and ruination, not an alliance for love, not for the weight of his hips on her hindquarters, nor any other abysmal facade of romance.

The succubus seethes with glory and amusement, listening to the repeat of her words on his tongue, a malignant mare caught up in the ecstasy of having someone she could call as ally; her ashen tresses drift over 'heterochromic' eyes, hiding the glint of feral jubilance glittering in those yellow depths. Demon Queen. She savors it, revels in it, in the greatness of their pairing; a King of Dragons and Queen of Demons, who would dare to face against them? Where they walked, others would fall back in uncertainty and fear, cower and curl away, duck heads and TREMBLE at their might. All will hail them: DEMON QUEEN AND DRAGON KING! Wolves stalking among sleeping sheep, with each kill an easy one, and their teeth would rip and tear, and his dragon would burn, and her sadistic mongrel would fill their dreams up with nightmares.

Ambitions filled with images of anarchy and tyranny choke her throat of words.
She quivers.

"Once," she offers as response, eyelids shuttering across eyes. "Several times. I was a conqueror. They did not know how to handle the poison of my magic, they did not know me. I pillaged and stole and built an empire, an army which marched into the flames of war and always obeyed, who feared their monarch. When I came to the last city, unable to dominate it, I snatched their boy king Draqaris, a mighty warlord for his age, took from him his seed, and birthed him a son, Veil, ambassador of strength. He was forced to join me, lest the city turn against him for 'breeding' with the enemy. The last city fell." Her voice is a cruel sneer, low and lacking harmony; the succubus refrained from telling Tyradon of the magnetic strength of the young warlord, his silent power which emanated from his very bones; "I tore the child from my stomach as soon as it was old enough, and handed it off to a mother who lost her foal and whose teats were heavy with milk. They had a hard time healing me after that, but... fuck it if I were to suckle some puny child. Education of dominance I instilled in the boy, and of diplomacy, but I had no time to waste on belittling foals when I had a kingdom to run and uprisings to stamp down."

She wonders what he'll think of her (cruel to her children? wicked and lusty?) before she puts the bothersome thoughts out of her mind. I am not a broodmare, the hellion reminds herself sharply; I am not some lowly mare to meekly spread her legs to the first stallion to encroach on my boundaries. If he thinks he can take me so easily, he'll find himself dead before the morning.
There is bristling hostility in her eyes as she flicks her gaze upwards, daring him to make comment on her lacking maternal side.

As they ease away from the subject she considers sensitive, she eases again, giving a careless shrug. "Yes," she answers, brows twitching upwards in a movement that well conveys her [lacking] interest in the subject.

Mongrel's ears flatten to his skull as the dragon chars the mouse (how dare she?!)- his lips curl back into an aggressive snarl- wasting food of all things. Yet as she rips the mouse apart, tossing him one half, the expression softens into one of quizzical curiosity. It is tentatively, her gem tucked beneath his paw, that he reaches forward to nibble at the meat; and it is to his surprise that he enjoys it. Crimson and scarlet drip from between curved incisors as he rips and tears, feasting on the cooked treat.

Maybe she won't be so bad after all, the kitsune decides.

CONFUTATIS

image credits
Join the Regime.

Hidden Account

A cold, sardonic chuckle flees his blackened lips at her first words. "It was the foolish mistake of a colt playing at war, thinking he could be a ruler who earns respect through the clemency he grants. That boy is dead now." From his ashes rose the beast, a warlord carved from blood and stone and with no such qualms about ending lives for the greater good. That unicorn had been his first and last mistake, and he had paid tenfold for it. Put in the same position again and he would not be so weak as to take the easy way out; the coward's path of hiding his shortcomings under the guise of mercy.

He is surprised as Confutatis addresses Cynder directly - the dragon, too, is astonished, but immediately puffs herself up and chatters happily away with a series of draconic chirps and hums. Those unbonded to dragons assume they are dumb beasts, and rarely address them as sentient individuals - they speak to the stallion instead, assuming the creature perched on his back is a pretty, shiny death machine, possessing neither emotion nor intelligence greater than that of a common brute. As one, Tyradon and Cynder's mutual respect for the mare rises, and the jade war-dragon waddles over to Confutatis' foreleg, seeking to affectionately rub her scaled head against the fetlock. This even takes the warlord aback - his green has never shown such outward affection to anybody but him, but after the initial spasm of jealousy he takes it as a promising sign. She-horse clever, comes the sing-song mental voice of his bonded, and he looks down to see her peering sweetly at him. She make good eggs, strong hatchlings. Is it just his imagination, or is there a slyness to Cynder's words, a subtle hint that she has detected his appreciation of this mare and is twisting it like a knife against him? He simply chuckles, shaking his heavy head in amusement. Dragons - so unpredictable.

His attention is dragged back to her, his queen of bones, as she speaks of empires and the kidnapping of a boy-prince, of taking him as her suitor and bearing him a son. An unknown emotion shoots through the warbringer, and with a certain smug satisfaction Cynder's voice rings in his head again; jealous. He pins his ears and glares down at her, but she simply gazes innocently back up at him, still fawning around Confutatis' fetlocks like a lovestruck kitten. Everything the mare says screams of a strong mother, one unwilling to let nature dictate that one must blindly love a child and coddle them; Tyradon knows better, knows that wrapping a newborn in cotton wool will do them no good. On some level, he loves the fruit of his loins - there is no doubt of that - but he is not a warm father, not a loving sire to kiss their wounds and assure them of their perfection. They have to learn to stand on their own hooves and survive, and if they do so hating their cruel creator then so be it. For Confutatis to drag her own son from her womb due to weakness, she must have similar ideas.

Imagine what they could create together.

He chooses not to comment, focusing instead on her words about her magic. Her poison - he wonders what she can do. Shifting, he turns so a muscular shoulder is pointed in her direction, his gargantuan head pivoting to look at her with thinly-veiled interest. "Your magic," he says. "Show me." He thinks of the acid he saw bubbling from her mouth, imagines how it will feel as it eats through the flesh of his shoulder - he cares little for pain, but is keen to know what exactly her saliva has the power to do. Perhaps he is foolish, or perhaps - as Cynder idly remarks through a series of mental images - he is seeking to appear strong and fearless in front of the demon mare, to show what a fine suitor he would be. No, he tells himself; it is all in the name of science, to discover what weapon he now has on his side.

His dragon glances at Mongrel - who seems to have enjoyed her cooked delicacy - with an expression on her face that says my bonded is a testosterone-fuelled idiot, then stops her fawning to gaze anxiously up at the stallion in preparation to intervene if necessary.

[ we are made of greed ]
[ the regime ]

The dragon king's laughter is cold, but she thinks his kisses would be colder. They would be dry as the winter air and they would still leave burns on her charcoal skin; they would be full of painful passion and devoid of the heated embrace of love— but she does not need infatuation, she needs a king of iron and a sire of warrior lordlings. She turns her gaze away from him, neck curling alluringly; she does not want Tyradon to see the starvation in her eyes, the wanting for his weight on her hips. Even poised away from him, she listens, to his talk of dead boys and destroyed identities; she tries to imagine him as a young prince, hungry for a crown, and she can envision it easily, but not as easily as she imagines him now on a throne of blood and ruin. They were to be the rulers, the conquerors and vanquishers of Helovia— the wolf was sick with want of it, of power, and her mouth was dry and nerves voltaic beneath her obsidian skin.

There is a multitude of singing warbles and trillings; her ears snap forward. What emotion stirred, snake-like beneath her charcoal cloak, she crushes beneath a figurative hoof; there is no room for familiarity in their partnership (not yet.) The harlot turns her skull to the grass-green dragon with jaded scales and her companion, tall and lean and splendidly wolf-like. It is found to her humbling surprise that the drake has moved towards her; a ripple of astonishment traverses through her as the six-limbed draconian rubs up against her fetlock. A faint smile, far more endearing than any former leer, plays at her sinning lips; and she bends down, swallowing back her foaming acid, seeking to brush her muzzle ever so gently over the verdant beast's skull.

Their conversation continues, to princes and kingdoms left behind, all while Cynder cavorts at the rather bemused mare's hooves; the warbringer does not respond to the first retelling of her grim tale. The wolf is thankful for that— she did not particularly want to share the details and finery of those days. When she had knifed through Helovia, she had chosen to put that behind, and she was not one to loll about regretting her former actions.

The wolf watches Tyradon slyly, toying over the request he presents to her (although it is not much of a request); an askance to show him her magic, sorcery of poison and acid, infection and rot. "If you demand, dragon king," she croons, yet it is clear she relishes the idea, and in her quarrelsome eyes she begrudges him admiration. This must be, certainly, one way to win her bizarre affection and her bewitching loyalty; bravery in face of pain, poised in such a way she causes the affliction, so she may in turn show her strength and fortitude. She approaches, black-souled and corrupt of heart, drawn tall yet still not quite so titanic as Tyradon; the golden coin of her useful eye watches his face in case of change in expression. "It will hurt," she tells him, voice low and sultry, crushed velvet and rust.

And teeth sink into the flesh of his shoulder, just beneath the wither; there she grooms him, bathes him with acid, rasps her infectious mouth over taut ebony skin.

The wolf with draws, backing from the warmonger, hooves scraping over stone and soil. Her mongrel comes to curl around her hooves, tails flicking in slight contempt.

It is time to part, his mind tells her, and she is inclined to agree.
"We should take our leave," Confutatis sings to him, her voice low and wicked. "There will be time to sin again, but now we gather our armies." Jaw works as she smiles, not a leer, not a thing of evil, but a smile of cold sincerity and hardened determination. "Meet me above in two weeks from now with your followers, where no sane horse would venture- we will not be heard in dust and ash, midways between here and the Threshold in the Meadow we roved through."

CONFUTATIS

image credits
Join the Regime.

Hidden Account

A sound akin to a feline purr rumbles in Cynder's chest at the mare's touch, leaning into it and causing Tyradon's brow to elevate so far it almost disappears into his forelock. His normally aloof dragon is like a fawning kitten, putty in the hooves of the carrion queen, but at the mental spasm of jealousy from her bonded she decides to put him out of his misery and scrabbles up his leg to sit on his shoulders. She thinks him stupid for offering himself up to the acid woman's magic, and tells him as such, but he shuts off his mind to her and concentrates fully on anticipating the pain of the contact. It will hurt, says his demon queen, and he chortles softly. "I'd be disappointed if it didn't," he remarks.

And it does.

His ears slicken to his skull as she sinks her teeth into the taut flesh of his shoulder, the area quickly vacated by Cynder as she scuttles instead to his rump. Agony explodes, and he turns his massive head to watch the chemical reaction - he cannot bend quite enough, so watches through his dragon's eyes, instead. He sees his own flesh bubble and burn, strips peeling free to reveal potent red tissue vibrant beneath the blackened mask; a grunt swells in his throat but he smothers it before it can free itself, determined to show no pain. Even after the initial spasm ebbs, the stink of burning flesh lingers in the air, as do the throbs of hot hell that pour through the tattered remains of his shoulder. It will scar, there's no doubt of that, but he thinks only of how advantageous such magic will be to their cause - what better way to twist the mind of a potential recruit than to show them the consequences of refusal? "That is a fine magic - you are blessed," he rumbles. Or is it cursed? He wonders if her lips are constantly devoured by the stinging acid - he wonders at the pain if he was to taste her, draw her frothing spittle into himself.

But their meeting is at an end, and the beast swings his head back around to face Confutatis. She designates a time and place for their next meeting, and he nods. "Until then, demon queen." He dares to extend his muzzle, seeking to nudge against the refined contours of her face, before turning his gargantuan frame away and taking his leave. Cynder chuffs to both mare and mongrel, before boosting from her bonded's rump and diving through the skies above him.

[ we are made of greed ]
[ the regime ]