the Rift

it's a bad Omen

Morir Posts: 79
Up For Adoption atk: 4.5 | def: 6.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 4 HP: 54 | Buff: NOVICE
Arwydd :: Raven :: None Adoptable

He came down from the north like a storm-swept crow, riding on the frigid midwinter wind as the sun disappeared beyond the horizon. It appeared a bad omen to behold that ominous color as one stepped onto foreign soil where shadows threw themselves away from the light, long and daunting as though wanting to flee from this land. But he saw not the last rays of light as they dyed the sky in violent red, nor did he shiver in premonition as clawing shadows reached for those long legs in longing for the warmth of his blood.

He didn't see it, yet still a sensation cold and daunting ran down the spine and set the hairs of ebon and silver on edge, electrified as though a current had run through them. The slow, steady gait faltered and delivered him in a halt, that chiseled head rising high with lobes clipping and steaming breath bated as he tried to find the source of the unease. Yet nothing came to him but the nightly noises of a sleeping forest. Above the branches creaked and groaned in the strong wind, canopy dancing to the bass of the earth as barren twigs clattered and snapped. Evergreens sighed, bushes and thickets stirred restlessly and the scent of animal was heavy in the air, a mixture of musk and droppings and fear mingled with the fresh tinge of pine and bark. Snow lay on the ground, he could feel the bite of icy crystals against tender frogs and sensitive coronets, the silken feathering not nearly as thick and impressive as his mothers had been - oh, how he missed her now, missed her gentle presence as the warmth of day had disappeared. He would have given plenty for a guide now, someone to whisper a clue as to which path was safer to travel.

Yet honest folks were scarce in this no mans land, and for a kin-less stray like himself even a kind word would be a blessing.

Continuously listening until the dark destrier had determined that no immediate danger threatened him, he eventually shook the head with a snort and felt the tresses of tangled forelock tickle against the nose as he settled into his slow yet steady meander once more. Carefully each foot lifted into the air, carefully prodding the void ahead before returning to the ground. It was a dance, a graceful march accompanied by the gentle bobbing of the massive spears protruding from his cranium where they swayed from side to side and effectively revealed any obstacle in his path. Not only once, but often, did he change his direction in the journey from tree to tree, not quite keeping a straight line but managing to remain on a roughly western course - towards the place where the sun had set, as though drawn to feel the sweet caress of loving warmth once more.

He didn't know where he was heading. He only knew that he could no longer remain where he had been. So he wandered, blind in a world of color, dark of skin in a dark time with naught but the strength of his remaining senses to guide his way.

And beside him walked misery with a hand upon his shoulder. And behind him followed destruction, ready to do its best wherever he went.

His name was Death, and on his lips a faint smile linger as he walked, humming softly a childhood tune as he headed into the darkness.

What if I say I will never surrender?

BackgroundLabs.com

♦ Please tag Morir in all replies! 

Amani Posts: 99
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: Three Years HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Emily

Amani
I don't know what I want, so don't ask me
Cause I'm still trying to figure it out
Don't know what's down this road, I'm just walking
Trying to see through the rain coming down

I came back here in hopes I would find something that would lead to my Uncle.... Or any family I have left really. Elsa had taken me to safety, but I had not seen her since. Secretly I hoped to find her here too... She was the only one I really trusted. But in the meantime, I had to know. My body had grown since my arrival in Helovia. As I had grown, my hunger for milk had gone and I steady was able to eat the grasses like the big horses.

My wings were also growing stronger by the day. I still did not know how to use them, not like the others... Or even my parents. Oh how I miss the comfort and protection of my mother's wings. Her smaller set had been just perfect to hold me close and keep me warm. The snow was cold against my legs.

That's when I first heard him. The humming sound was first. I halted and listened, ears twitching and turning back and forth. It did not take long for him to come into sight. What a sight he was. I had never seen one with horns before, and they frightened me. Not only did he have one, but three upon his brow. I stepped back, my voice a soft whisper. "H-h-hello sir" My heart raced, scared he would hurt me if I ended up scaring him... Who knew what others were capable of in this new place. I was alone, and still a baby after all.

"blah blah blah."

Confutatis the World Eater Posts: 179
Hidden Account atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2hh :: 9 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Mongrel :: Common Kitsune :: Dark Illusions wanda

Conical ears, gently tapering to acute tips, twitch and half-circle, pivoting from their perches on her skull, listening in wordless attentiveness. Is that the crunch of icy buildup beneath hooves she hears in the distance? Her audits flick, seeking out the source to no avail. The only sound to break the tedious quiet is a muffled thump as a snowdrift slips free from it's precarious perch on a frosted tree branch. Nostrils widen, inhaling the aroma of leaf mold and cold earth beneath the opalescent sheets of snow; her cranium tilts, almost idle in the fluid movement. There is no sound to betray her to what blind bat may fumble through the Threshold (though she knows the approach of Morir not); she stands, almost perfectly still except for the subtle shiver of her skin. She shifts her weight, the faintest of crackles as her right hind brushes against the crusted layers of white waiting to be heard in this moonless night.

Today she braved the dark and the undead for an excellent purpose: the recruitment of fiends, monsters, and other nefarious beasts, to fetch home warriors for the cavern home. In silence does she stand, but from the contemplative expression upon her eerie face a stranger could tell her mind was whirring with the cacophony of too many thoughts.

There is the flavor of worry to her thoughts, one unbecoming of the demon-daughter. It is not her's. It is the mongrel's, the kitsune who perches vicariously upon her withers, breath frosting in the frigid winter air. He is tentative to share the depth of his fear, to let the blushed-blue horror of his oceanic thoughts wash in to meet the rocky shores of Confutatis' impassable and ragged mind. From birth, he has been an Inari through and through, nefarious and twisted and a little vile thing, despite his vaguely cute appearance; he had bent his mind to Confutatis' will, and she to his, until their very ideas, the integral parts of their being, had meshed into a peculiar new offspring. One might declare this double the trouble, double the darkness, double the evil; but it was impossible to divine shadow from light, oblivion from oblivious.

Stop, she demands of him, upper lip curling in distaste at his weakness. He does not employ the basic vocabulary he has begun to learn; as with one's own thoughts, their communication is disjointed and incomplete, as why would they need to pronounce each and every part of the sentences they think as one?

A ragged glimpse of a sun rising, the fall of clouds shrouding the moon, a desolate landscape; a skull, half-crushed; black hooves, green scales. That is enough.

They begin to move, making ample sound to one who listens to it's senses. There is the crunch of hooves sinking deep into the powdery snow beneath the icy crust, the exasperated snort, the occasional rumble of a fox's complaints. Teeth click and grind, frustration apparent between the pair. And then, there is gray, and black, and jagged horns and the curve of a magnificent neck. Together, they halt, draw themselves up proud, senses sharp for signs of danger, for he looks dangerous.

Across the forefront of her vision, there is a glimpse of hooded eyes and cracked eyeballs.
Mongrel's thoughts pervade hers.
Blind.

From a distance they watch, a child approaching a stallion tall and dark, a stallion vaguely like Tyradon the Dragon Lord. Head cocks inquisitively, cautious advance; grayed tail flicks across ebon flanks. "It is not safe for the dead because of the undead." Riddled uncertainties falls from her poison lips. "I can offer an eye-less necromancer shelter, but a little girl will have to prove her worth." Her voice is crushed velvet, cracked ice, the crawling of a spider; elegant and refined and terribly wrong.

CONFUTATIS

and when you meet me, you at long last acquaintance yourself with death in all its magnificent glory.

Join the Regime.

Something stirred in the vicinity. It was a sensation rather than a sound, a flavor upon the wind and a slight churn in the gut; the touch of a sixth sense developed after the loss of a more vital one. He didn't stop and the lilting hum neither faded nor increased, yet still the posture of the ghoul changed as he danced through the woods. The muscles of that massive neck swelled as he tucked the cheek closer to his inky chest, lowering the trident of spears, the crown of rough black diamond so that it preceded his swarthy corpse by several feet. The step of the solid hooves grew even softer, if such a thing was possible, each stride measured and collected as he inhaled slowly....

H-h-hello sir?

The voice was trembling and soft, young and innocent; it was with massive effort the towering stallion managed to reign in the urge to lash out with those charcoal daggers, slice the intruder and spill metallic life-force onto the ground. He didn't do it. Instead a large hoof slammed down into the ground with force as he stopped, enough to shatter the thin crust and send clumps, shards and powder of ice into the air. The motion as he turned his head towards the fawn was much too slow, much too stiff - and despite the lids closing eternally over sunken hollows that offered an expression of peace to his features, the flightless crow gave off an imposing feeling of dislike as he addressed the girl.

"What?" he asked brusquely, tone harsh but with a soft so deep, so low, like rich chocolate or silk whispering over razor-sharp steel that it might send shudders across ones skin. There was no mistaking his irritation, yet the simple fact that he had stumbled upon a creature of intelligence after weeks alone in the wilderness was enough to let him linger in place, audits pricked and attention focused on the feeble flame.

Perhaps that was a mistake. He was not unaccustomed to making them. Rarely does a physically impaired person walk through life unscathed, and many were the blows, bodily and otherwise, that the scapegoat and mocked bird had been forced to endure. Only time would tell whether not avoiding the snake that crawled up to him on silent hooves would have been for the better, whether her poison could - and should - have been avoided. Alas, by the time she parted those toxic lips and let out the lazy drawl it was already too late.

It is not safe for the dead because of the undead. I can offer an eye-less necromancer shelter, but a little girl will have to prove her worth.

Much like a giant pendulum the head of the blinded demon of the North swung, turning from girl to woman, from foal to mare without changing expression. If anything, the appearance of yet another stranger without the courtesy of announcing their presence before standing in his face only fed fuel to his fire, resulting in a dangerous rise of a rear leg - a warning, though not spoken aloud, to keep a proper distance.

"Says who?" he retorted shortly, annoyed yet against his will intrigued by her half-spoken warning. A sharp snort signed the resignation of a short and intense inner struggle, over whether to leave or to stay and listen to that velvet voice - the long, slender tail snapped testily against well-honed flanks as he settled into place, impatient yet too wise from damage to run headlong into something just because a stranger said he shouldn't.

He might be young, but that didn't mean he had to be foolish.

BackgroundLabs.com

Emily

Amani

It seems I was quickly followed by another, an older mare who did not carry a horn or wings.... But instead she had a thing by her side. I listen as the older stallion snaps first at me, then at her. "I'm sorry Sir. I did not mean to sneak up on you. Just wanted to see if you were okay." I tried to be respectful, but the cold words of the mare had me turning to address her as well. "I do not need to prove my worth to the likes of you, a stranger. Besides I know my way to safety." Miss Elsa had taken me to the caves, so why would I need to be taken to them again. This mare's voice made me uneasy. Something about her I just did not like.

My attention then shifts back to the stallion, and when I look closer I see his eyelids are closed. The more I watched the more I wondered... Could he not see? Is that why I had been such surprise to him? It had to be. I softly spoke again. "She is right. I was told there are bad creatures. There are caves that bring safety. I can lead you there if you would like?" I had to offer. After all he did not seem so bad... At least I hoped he was not all that bad. He could be just grumpy and mean for all I knew. If he was, oh well. At least I knew how to get to safety.

"blah blah blah."

Her eyelids drift shut, blocking out the sparse lighting out of the world. It is here in this darkness she wonders as to how it must be to live; fucking shitty, she would imagine, but a rippling shrug curls down her broad shoulders. The Lady Death survived with only one eye; no doubt there were ways to get around with none. There was no pity, no empathy within the empty cavity of her heartless chest- only a hunger for power, and tedious emotions got in the way of such ambitions. Her muzzle shifts, slowly, towards the filly, disdain curling her lips in a gruesome leer at this child (will she run? will she fly from the jack-o-lantern's grin?) and Mongrel slithers from her withers to the earth, landing softly in the snow, craggy yellowed teeth bared in a sneer.

"But you do." Confutatis states, her voice a rusted blade, all attempts at velvet gone. "When a queen rules, the traitors to the monarchy will be dead."

His hind leg rises, in a warning she is keen to notice, and in response her ears twist and pin warily. A more cocksure part of her wondered if he truly believed he could defeat her when he was blind- and then there are images painted on the insides of her skull, memories of a rain-washed night with a medic shouting defiance at her promises of vengeance. Mongrel. They withdraw to the discrete corners of her mind, and she watches the peculiar stallion with renewed intensity. Does he hold magic within that ebon skin, the silver latticework on his back? And his voice cracks along her wears, a whip which has her flinching.

"I say," she declares. "Confutatis, the demon daughter, leader of the Regime alongside Tyradon." And she grins, frosty and frigid, eyes cutting towards Amani. "Foal thief." Then she turns her gaze away, settling back on the stallion, the purpose of her visitation. "The dead walk among the living. To find safety, one should retreat to the sanctuary of the Underground, where other demons walk. It is there, in the heart of the earth, that Helovia will find a new terror... will you join me in the crusades of a new order? Where you can find all power you dream of, strength in our unison, and where you shall have eventual claim to any mare you might want? If you follow me and Tyradon the war-bringer, you be renowned as the first of the Regime, and will be rewarded as you should be."

The slog will be long and hard, she might've added; right now we are only two, she could've said; but her lips were acid and her words were poison.

CONFUTATIS

and when you meet me, you at long last acquaintance yourself with death in all its magnificent glory.

Join the Regime.

They were all so eager to speak, shedding pieces of their mind like rabbits their thick fur in spring. Both of their voices felt loud to his sensitive ears, hearing enhanced over the years, a skill yielded by constantly straining to hear more... Now he wished only to make them quiet, despite the seeming importance of what they had to say.

I'm sorry Sir. I did not mean to sneak up on you. Just wanted to see if you were okay.

First to loosen the tongue's bond was the fledgling child, her voice feeble yet the words strong for one so young. It would appear that a good head was developing under her ears, in time she might even be known as wise... For now she seemed only eager for punishment in his mind, and while the facade remained impassive as he faced her there was a spark of amusement lighting within the depths of his soul.

I do not need to prove my worth to the likes of you, a stranger. Besides I know my way to safety.

Without being able to see her stature, to many it would be hard to make a guess at her age, but the shade had found other ways of estimating such things. The way she stood on the ground, lithe and thin, almost weightless by his side and as easily swept aside as a dry leaf in the wind told him about her lacking age while a dusty scent of feathers and milk whispered of her lineage and loneliness. Her courage was impressive, the tone undaunted as she spoke back to the older mare. Was it wisdom or folly? It all depended on whether it would get her killed, he supposed.

She is right. I was told there are bad creatures. There are caves that bring safety. I can lead you there if you would like?

Humor, indeed. Her words almost lured a smile to the lips of the shaman, the brazen cockiness of this juvenile almost as amusing as the poisoned riddles of the other. From him, however, this filly would receive a flick of the tail - and nothing more.

In comparison to her young voice the crone sounded so much older and so impure that the dread-named stallion made the faintest inclination backwards, a reckless revelation of his sudden desire to recoil. And this he had allowed so close, without staying on his guard? No wonder things had been going downward for him lately.

When a queen rules, the traitors to the monarchy will be dead.

He was accustomed to death and decay, yet never had he come across something so foul as the voice of this viper, this deadly adder with her sweet and toxic promises. They were alluring, tempting like a mirage of water in the desert - he would not deny that. For one who had never had anything, the promise of plenty is hard to resist; and she offered so much. Power, strength, righteousness. What youngling would he be if he didn't feel tempted, if he didn't try to imagine what it would be like to stand at the top for once, tall before the bowing masses that never were to lay a hand on him again...

It was the sound of the girls voice that made him hesitate, holding his tongue where otherwise he might have sung a delightful yes to this query and bound himself body and soul to a, as she so eloquently put it, crusade he felt nothing for. Would it be as easy to leave as it seemed to join in on this cause? Somehow he doubted it, and thus the strider was able to keep his head cool despite the seductive words wrapped around him. Upon her revelation of her name and plans he made a gesture with the elegant head, a figure blacker than night itself stirring in poorly masked disdain; the long spears sliced through air like a knife as the neck jerked upwards, and even in blindness he managed to convey the expression of one rolling their eyes.

"And this you tell to every stranger that cross your path?" he mocked sardonically, flicking an ear at this Confutatis. "Demons and tyrants and living dead - how is this supposed to persuade me? You will have to do a better job than that if you want a kingdom and a crown - not that I know of such things." The deep voice was biting as he let words drop from the lips, not sweet like the honey the daughter of death tried to serve but rather crisp and bitter like water squeezed from soaked lichen.

The towering brute stirred, inclining forward as he pushed himself into motion and resumed his meandering down whatever invisible path he had drawn in his mind. There was a look of dismissal to his back as he slipped past the two dames, not, perhaps of their warnings, but rather the tiring buzz of their voices and the blunt and poorly thought through offer extended.

"Girl!" he called after a few steps, not bothering to turn the head around - what use would it be, when it wouldn't let him see her any more. "You said you could lead the way. So lead, and get us all to safety."

"As for you" he inclined with a brief gesture to the wicked harridan, "I will give you another chance to tempt me. Come, walk here and tell me more about yourself."

It never occurred to him that they might not obey. There was no room for questioning in his voice, nor did he give them a chance to object. Before either could answer the towering youngster had begun to move, his high-kneed march bringing him steadily further west, drawn like a magnet towards the snow-capped mountain peaks veiled in darkness and distance.

BackgroundLabs.com

Emily

Amani

Wordlessly, I stood the awe of how rude this stallion was. I suddenly found myself not caring that he was blind. Even that he deserved to be blind.... Ok, maybe that's a bit to far. But the almost uncontrollable feeling I was feeling was certainly not joy. If anything it was the exact opposite of joy. I have never felt anger before, not until now. The mare's words has angered me to, so instead of starting to lead the way I decided to retort back. "Guess i'll remain free since I don't see any Queens or a Monarchy around here." Yeah, I guess kind of over did it there, but who cares. She deserves it. Acting all high and mighty. With a snort and a flick of my ever growing tail I looked to the back of the stallion.

His coat seemed to fit his heart, or from at least what I could tell. He was a perfect match for the rude mare. Why should I lead them to safety? Why should I risk my neck for them? For all I know, first sign of danger from a wraith and I'm screwed. Not going to happen. "You and her can find you own way to safety. I'm not some slave to bark orders at." With a snort I turn tail. Granted, after those kind of words, I waste no time clearing my little rear end out of there. For all I know they are the kind to lash out at foals. Either way, I'm not sticking around to find out.

"blah blah blah."

She awaits his surely splendorous reaction eagerly, though she shows not the stirrings of excitement in her breast; Mongrel, too, leans forwards, ears unwavering from the unicorn stallion's direction, but he is full of precarious doubt, teetering on the canyon edge of uncertainty, for he is wise and clever in his persuadings whereas Confutatis has become coarse and unrefined. Can he dare claim to know of a turndown? Alas, no, and so they await a favourable reaction (one doomed not to come) with hearts that thunder loud in their ebon chests. For what does he do? He not only refuses them, but with sardonic sarcasm, a toxic mouth of ruinous proportions, and she recoils from this blind man, silent in her s h o c k and soundless in her rising rage, for who is he to dare turn down their offer, to LAUGH in their faces? He is blind- facing down a warrior, a queen, Lady Death, the very incarnation of gore and murder? Idiot, to be tempting fate- to be tempting her, with her quickening heartbeat and rising pulse, until her mongrel wraps himself around her mind, soothing the nettling prods of such foolery.

Her temper running foul, she bites back remarks which would serve to inflame the the situation. "Would you rather be part of something that is meant for success, or have what you want crumble away?" The hellion asks, her voice quiet and rusty, hoarse and sharp with indignation.

The stallion beckons with his reigning crown, and caught halfway between reluctance and amusement (he thinks he can order her around?) she follows, gray hairs flicking over flanks, amber eye lost in thoughts of war and battle, the smack of meaty flesh. Would he be so brave if she were to have him cornered up against the wall, the acid of her magic dripping onto his corroding lips, poll, withers? Would he be so witty when he started shrieking in pain? No, he would not, she was confident of that; equines would do anything to slither free of pain, just as she would in their position. She swallows the toxicity of her saliva, skin giving a slight quiver, and falls in step beside him, not allowing him to run free of her nor lead.

"I meant no offence," Confutatis states, the rusted blade of her voice ringing iron calm, "by speaking so freely. But do you not see the value in a unified..." army, she wants to ask, but she refrains. "front? These times are dark and poisonous to those not strong of heart and mind; the dead do walk, and I am afraid not many will last long."

Nostrils flare in her exhale, as Mongrel darts ahead, to check for a clear path. "As I have told you, I am Confutatis, one of the many daughters to Oblivion the DemonKing. I am nine, emblazoned with his skull upon my head, eyes of amber and coat of shadow. It is my hope that one day Helovia will be united under Tyradon and I's rule for the betterment of it; problems can be handled as appropriate, life will be safer without worry of trespass or fighting between herds, those who may need help will get it." She watches his march west, the wrong direction, and she lets a vile little smile curl her lips. Perhaps she could make an example... no. Containing an undead such as him would be a pity.

Her crown swings to Amani as the little girl turns tail; she had forgotten about the child-mare. No matter; the prize of this outing would be the unicorn, and she could use the loss of a guide as advantage.

"You walk in the wrong direction," she snorts. "In the west, and north, and east, and south, the dead are moving among the living. If you wish to reach safety, you must go south, where you can access the Underground. And seeing as you have lost the child guide, it seems it might be wise to follow me."

CONFUTATIS

Join the Regime.

His confident departure is saluted by the defiant cry of a stubborn little girl. A wry grin, lopsided and grim in all its dry amusement stretch the corner of the ashen maw, a silent salute to the bravery - she would go far, this daughter of wind and rain, if she only lived to grow into her full strength. He lets her go without protest - what use is there in a guide who can't do their job properly? - and focuses instead of the crone as she steps up to walk by his side. The swell of temper is apparent in the foul voice as she retorts, something that only fuel the amusement of the blackbird even more. It is with some effort that he swallows the smile, adopting a face somber and grim, stern and unyielding - a black mask of emotion concealing true emotion, for that, he has learned, is the best way to learn the true nature of others.

The strider listen in silence as she promote her cause, speaking names and divulging plans for a future that must be grand indeed, considering the religiousness with which she speaks of it. He roam slowly meanwhile, taking the opportunity to sense the surroundings; beyond the babble of her tedious tune is plenty to hear, if one only allowed themselves time to listen. Needles falling from great heights to land beneath tree-giants, snow creaking beneath their hooves solid and cloven as each step bring them further along, (in the wrong direction, but no matter) and somewhere to his left a creek was still alive, its icy crisp waters flowing rapidly beneath layers of moss and wilted fern, under solid ice and layers of snow. Yet, the further they walked into this unknown land, this unexplored territory beneath a sky he had never sliced with the wicked edge of his unbreakable crown, the more those sounds depicting life and health began to fade. Soon the sound and scent of beasts and avians died out, replaced by slithering sounds and unsettling murmurs of creatures unknown like the stench of death, decay and disease replaced the fresh, spicy tinge of forest and greens, dead moss and snow. The wind itself as it swept through the forest lamented with shrill voice, muttering and screaming in twitching lobes and tugging at charred tresses; carved nostrils quivered and expanded as air rushed through those sensitive nares, exploring and researching this change in the landscape.

Maybe they were right. Signs picked up by his own enhanced senses spoke in favor of their theory of madness and sorcery, of efficacious corpses and carrion performing wicked parades in the night. The nightly wanderer sighed and brought his massive bulk to a halt once more, a shadow darker than death itself ceasing movement - becoming nigh invisible, had it not been for the fine netting of luminescent silver veins that coursed through the obsidian hide.

"You will lead, and I will follow, is what you are saying" he said quietly. "You offer power and domination, superiority and protection... Yet you will have me bow before you and follow your tail toward whatever end." Blinded sockets turn to impart their unseeing stare upon the tempting succubus, unsettling in their intensity. Silken forelock does little to veil the sickening lack of fluid-filled orbs where it fall softly over the regal arch of the nasal ridge, disclosing instead the un-opening lids in all their fused repulsiveness.

"Why?" he asks, question so soft, so gentle and tender that it becomes all the more deadly, all the more haunting and serious for it's lack of roughness. "Why should I bow to you, when I can live free and easy on my own? What can you give me, that I cannot acquire on my own?"

Answer, uncrowned queen of the lost and damned, and see if your words will finally persuade this prince of nothingness. Maybe he will allow you to lead then, to pave the his way through his eternal night and become the sole mortal in this life who may command his actions. For the beast is loyal once tamed, yet not a dog to summon and dismiss. Always his own ruler, his own salvation and his own guiding light in a world that constantly rejected him, this lonely stag is perfectly capable of looking after his own skin - contrary, no doubt, to the belief of the imp that tried to snare his soul.

BackgroundLabs.com

A golden eye watches his sardonic and withering smile appear on charcoal lips, one ear twisting to him as she listens to the fading footsteps of the young girl; she has little patience for children, except of those worthy of her company, like Veil, the Vile, the E v i l, borne from her womb in the corrupting palace of her old hearth, quickened from Draqari's seed. In silence Lady Death seethes- no, she does not, it is Mongrel's anger which pounds relentlessly in the back of her skull, his impatience with the stallion's poor behaviour; she catches his imaginations and machinations as her eyelids slither shut over her venomous orbs, glimpses of scarlet spittle dripping from Morir's maw and a ravaged landscape of a broken face.

An indecisive ripple curls through her broad shoulders, thoughts caught between punishment and beguile, temptation and the intricate carvings of her acidic teeth digging into his shoulder. It is with lock-jawed effort that she refrains, instead turning her vigilance to watch as what little expression he shows at a child's beleaguering and boring protests melts from his corpse's face.

They descend into the remains of a landscape ruined by villainy and sorcery, monstrosities and beasts, a place of death and decay and corrupt; if not for her own experiences in this wicked world, she may have been different in response to the degradation of the land. Indeed, she may have LUXURIATED in this shadow lying over the land, inhaled the crumbling of tree and leaf and moist soil, listened to the bemoaning of the haunting wind and the tiny shrieks of minuscule animals, an eerie and enchanting music to her sharp ears. As it is, she is wary; her skin flitters constantly over coarse muscle, and she is cautionary of those bled dry but undead, those with eyes that hang out from their sockets, the expanses of ruined flesh that she is so familiar with. That is, on the dead, but not on the horrific zombies, not those who live when they should be enclosed in hells and heavens.

Her unease deepens, even as they turn towards the south, to the Heart of Helovia; nares ripple wide as she drinks in the stench of rot, her ear half-turns to focus upon Morir's voice.

You cannot scare Death, even if you may put her on her guard.
As he casts his eyeless sockets upon her, her lips peel back into an abysmal snarl, at the intimate intensity. Around her foreleg curls her beast, with nefarious illusions flickering at his figurative fingertips; a question hovers at the forefront of his mind, itching to be released.
No.

"I have no problem with regiment-leaders, war generals, corporals, lieutenants, soldiers, spies, citizens; I listen to those who have thought to offer. I am not such a fool to blatantly ignore suggestions from sources other than myself." Her voice is composed, a thing of ethereal decay and rot, eerie and haunting, alluring in a wickedly disarming fashion, yet falling (purposely?) short of sweet and honeyed. "But wouldn't you agree one must make sure that a spider is not weaving a web? That an individual should contribute before leading?"

There is the crunch of hoof on snow as she moves alongside him in momentary silence, her hips swinging idly, her mongrel kitsune sending her fleeting images of a clear trail ahead.
She clears her throat, swallows the acid foam.

"Family. Protection. I have lived on my own for two years now-" and her voice gentles, her eyes unseeing. "And it is not easy to be awake every moment of the day, to always be watching for the danger that lurks in the dark. The Regime will embrace you as blood bonded and friend, if you are willing to take us."

And if you do not, crowned stallion, than you shall find yourself pitted without sight against death and blood and a mouth of poison.

CONFUTATIS

Join the Regime.

The only spider I sense here is you he thought sceptically as she answered him, words wrapped in riddles and half spoken threats - did she always hide the truth of her heart like this, or was it simply because of their lack of familiarity that caused it? The more time the ghoul spent in the presence of this wicked witch the less he found himself enjoying it. Yet what she offered... was it not why he had left his birthplace so willingly? To find something that could be his, to conquer and rule and reign with more justice and compassion than the kings of the northern plains? When Confutatis spoke of family he found himself wistfully thinking back towards the good days, to the very beginning of his short life when his family still had been whole and happy. Despite the illness that wrecked his frail body at the time, despite their sorrow over his lack of sight, his parents had been loving and gentle, proud over the son that all the others shunned and scorned for his inherited weakness. To have that again, to experience something of the kind once more...

The faintest of sighs relaxed muscles throughout his frame. It had not been noticeable before how tense he was, how prepared to fight or flee depending on the odds of victory the brute had been. Yet now that he let some of his guard down the contrast made his preparedness apparent - and his answer, silent and unspoken as it was, all the more obvious.

A grin returned to the charred brims but instead of being amused or chastising, this time it was darker, greedier, an eager smile lusting to possess.
"Well done sister, you have persuaded me" he purred, a tune most daunting and sinister in its foretelling of wicked debauchery to come. "I don't like you very much and I can't say I trust you, but until the time comes that you let me down I will let you guide me. May you lead well."

Silken curtain swelled and rippled as the towering gargoyle inclined the neck in a semblance of a bow, sharp pointers briefly touching upon the crisp surface of the snowy ground before returning to their rightful position. It was more of a reverence than the twin flames had ever received, more than had ever been extended to anyone. Enjoy while you can, lady Spider, for it is unlikely to happen again - lest you earn it.

"I am Morir" he eventually continued and raised a forefoot to proceed the meandering, this time falling in beside his self-appointed queen and guide, one step short so that she might lead the way more truly than before.

"Tell me of this land we are going to conquer; what creatures live here, how strong are they, what gods or spirits do they pray to? Tell me everything you can, as detailed as you can." He was prepared to listen as they continued the journey south, machinery of thought already spinning through cogwheels and dark impulse - weaving webs of conquest, of cunning and deceit, so that one day he would taste the sweet nectar of victory as he ruled on high.

BackgroundLabs.com

It is discrete, the tension that seeps and oozes from his charcoal bodice, but she notices it nonetheless, acknowledges it without word or question, marveling at his noble acceptance. She watches his lips curl into a leer more than smile, and her own vile grin crawls over mouth and muzzle; ocher lips unraveling over foaming teeth, pleased with him and his wise decision. Audits flick, faint surprise warming her features as sound of languorous 'sister' pealing from those rich vocals, a headiness blossoming in her chest. Eyelids hood over glistening orbs, and she cocks her head in curiosity, before shaking free the questions that cling unnecessarily to the insides of her skull.

"Flawed I may be, but never do I let fall those I can call brother." Toxic declarations and affirmations fall sinuous and slippery from between yellow teeth, but there is iron conviction embedded in her sly song. "I doubt you are meant to simply follow- perhaps it is just me, but I think that through your blindness, you can see what others cannot."

There is a rustle of hair over skin, and, on guard as she is, her head jerks up, nostrils flaring wide to test the air for dangers- and then her golden eye views him bowing his crown to her, the needle points of his obsidian horns touching to the snow. It is not what she expects; Mongrel's thoughts throw her back to the scornful faces of the Asylum, the cruel simpers of Seele and Eris, their continuous idiocy. And with a twitch of her shoulders, she cuts off the kitsune's persistent memories, and despite the faint pleasure at such recognition, she says to him: "Do not bother yourself with that sort of respect; family need no..." she hesitates, mouth opening but no words coming, to explain this strange humility storming into the mountainscapes of her strange and ethereal mind. "

Confutatis notes the lag in his step, allowing her to move just slightly forward, and her hearts gives a stuttering leap. She can sense Mongrel's disbelief- isn't this what she wants? Leadership? Isn't she power-hungry and ambitious, driven and determined?
Seizing the moment, she draws ahead.

"It is wonderful to meet you, Morir." Lady Death declares, raven to crow, and there is sincerity in her voice. An ear turns to him at his askances, queries and questions; she is quiet, as she mulls over what she knows.

"You have come to a world named Helovia. Here, magic runs rampant through the bloodstreams of beasts, unpredictable and fickle. One may show no outward sign of magics dangerous or helpful; others may wear it upon their coat and around them, such as myself with the acid that drips from my mouth. I have heard of magic appearing from nowhere, to give itself over to the most worthy; but more often, it is given by gods." There is a pause. "Gods do exist here, exemplifying traits from all three breeds of equines: pegasus, unicorn, and equine. There are four, the God of Time and Spark, the Goddess of the Dark and the Wind, the God of the Light and Flame, and the God of Earth and Water. Each represent two elements. Thousands of different types of magic can manifest depending on which elements they are produced from. Every once and a while, they will appear in Helovia, to bestow upon the divine gifts; they will choose a worthy individual, and will send them to quest, to show they are willing to work for what they wish to achieve."

Companions? "There is not only magic, but companions. Companions may be organisms of mythical origin or everyday; wolf, lion, dragon, kitsune, to name a few, which bond telepathically to their equine counterpart. Those of mundane birth may be quested for."

She hums softly.
Mongrel flits back to their side.

"There are four herdlands, each with a patron god. Should the Regime grow enough, we will need to acquire one; for one or another reason, any territory of the Wilds will be unable to hold sustainable numbers of equines. I have heard the strongest herd used to be in the north, living in a place called the Aurora Basin; unicorns like yourself. To the South is the Dragon's Throat, which, I believe, was ruled mainly by pegasi, although equines and unicorns could join. The World's Edge I know nothing of; the Foothills was owned by a strong-hearted medic and a sluttish spy." The disbanding. The fall of the separate empires. "But as darkness consumed Helovia, all herds were forced to flee. I do not know if many retain the same allegiances, or if the same leaders will arise from the shadows, should they ever fade."

And yet there was still more.
"There are outcast bands; one in particular, the Asylum, which contains lunatics. I am afraid I have a poor relationship with them, to speak kindly. I should think they would have secured a herdland soon, if not for this vile darkness... they are lead by two mares, Seele and Eris. When I needed them most, captured by an equine named Kipp, they left me to escape by my own means and accused me of betrayal."

"Do you need more?" She queries politely, wondering if she has satisfied Morir's thirst for knowledge; it is clear she has grown far more companionable since his acceptance of her poorly thought out invitation.

CONFUTATIS

Join the Regime.

Eclipsed half moons rise and fall, rise and fall in a steady rhythm over the frozen ocean of white and gray, soft feathers whispering over crystal like foam across solid waves. They move with ease through the night, inked pistons in perfect condition worked continuously by a flawed yet highly functional machinery. They do not falter, nor do the cloven feet catch on rock or root, frozen bank or hidden log. How he do it is a mystery, a riddle yet to answer; perhaps he matches his step with hers as they flow through the woodland realm like demons and ghosts, perhaps it is simply the assumption that something needs to be stepped over at every instance that cause those high, deliberate, flawless steps. There is a lack of speed that is undeniable, yet the sinister grace with which the monster moves make up for it in leaps and bounds. He slither forth like a snake. Silent, unassuming, deadly in his seeming vulnerability; and always do the elegantly carved lobes pend back and forth, catching the words of the dark mistress, the wicked weaver of dreams and nightmares, as well as that beyond her stories, lurking and festering in hidden cracks and crevices.

If what he hears surprise him, the emotions fail to reach the surface of the blackened pool that his his face. If it were not for the ear that constantly returned to her it might have seemed like he wasn't listening at all. The reluctance to revel in his admission of defeat gather no reaction, neither do the assurance that he won't be disappointed tease a reaction from the elegant curve of the neck. He swallow whatever words that might have been brought to mind, simply accept her decision and rest within the silence until she finishes her tale.

Upon acknowledging the question received Morir cock the head ever so slightly to the side, unseeing eyes once more regarding the mare with thoughtful expression as he mull over the information gathered. It is a lot to take in for sure; several concepts he find unfamiliar, relations to ponder and perceived truths to question... The beast eventually shake the head, sending midnight mane dancing around the head to mingle amidst sinister spears and tangle across the face - he lets it rest there, unconcerned with allowing hair before the eyes.

"It's enough for now" he responds, voice as always low and smooth, deep and dark; like the night or perhaps a ravenous feline stalking a prey, if one were inclined to such comparisons. "I shall make my own judgments from here on. The rest can wait till I meet this Tyradon you mentioned... I look forward to hear what you both have in store for the future."

With that he smiled, and like a shadow he followed the demonic daughter as she guided them both towards this feeble, fragile and precarious existence known as safety.

BackgroundLabs.com