the Rift

[OPEN] Barriers of Communication [Hieroglyphs]

Quilyan Posts: 206
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zarina :: Pygmy Marmoset :: Quantum Leap ChaoticMelodies

But when his heart was lifted up, and his mind hardened in pride...
Quilyan
...he was deposed from his kingly throne, and they took his glory from him.

He wanders the caverns endlessly in a wide, ranging circle that always starts and ends at the same points. His pacing signifies restlessness; he has never been confined to such a small place, particularly not with so many others. When he thinks back to his days in Th'orqui, he remembers longingly the feeling of immense freedom. After all, he was the heir to the throne back then; there were no doors closed to him, no stone to leave unturned. He could go wherever he wanted and do whatever he wanted, and the worst consequence would be his father's disapproving scowl. Even that, though, was rare. He was a flirt, but besides that, he had been a good little prince. Shaking his head, he glances around for what feels like the hundredth time. He has halted in the glowing room - that's what everyone is calling it, anyway. It makes sense, what with the odd, sparkling vines hanging from the ceiling, but it seems a bit too cliché for his tastes.

He frowns. He has been cooped up here for too long.

He has volunteered to join the brutish Sultan's group of spies - Siguls - but it is not enough. He remembers watching from the mouth of the Sanctuary the day before as the Heart flared, blazing, and seemed to move before his eyes. After a while, it had been snuffed out. He did not attempt to approach. He did not try to understand what had happened. The darkness took over, and that was that. What was the point in wandering around the black outside world and likely never returning? What good would that do? But, then again, what good was he doing here? How was he supposed to learn anything from within these caverns?

Frustration has led him to leave Resplendence to her own devices, afraid that he will either snap at her or mess up her herbs. Either scenario does not bode well for his future. Zarina scampers up and down his back, leaping from vine to vine every now and then. You feel sorry for yourself, she scolds him now as she lands on his poll. The jarring thump makes him tense, but he resists the urge to shake his head again until she retreats to his withers. Then his mane flies as he rids himself of the uncomfortable feeling of her weight on one of the most sensitive parts of his head. I just want something to do, he tells her, though she already knows that. She is in his head, after all.

Maybe if he wanders enough, he will bump into someone who can help him.

[W/C | ---]
Walk walk walk.
Talk talk talk.
Think think think.

RayoDeSoleil.deviantart.com | Ness8Bit.deviantart.com

Please tag Quilyan in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to plot with Quilyan? Visit his plot page here!

Cealestis Posts: 50
Hidden Falls Genetrix I atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 HH :: 11 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Skýlos :: Pit Bull :: None Bunnie

C e a l e s t i s
Daughter of the Sky

It is droll in the dark, and my Mother is hidden by a ceiling that stretches its head high above me and is colder than even a winter night in its lack of luster. This main cavern is given life only by the masses that teem within its belly, the hundreds of horses come to hide from the wickedness that wanders above.

I do not like this closeness, this sense of unity among this rabble. I find that I regret my decision to come to this land, in this era. Why did my dreams not warn me of this?

Perhaps I will die in Helovia. That is the meaning of the meadow and my sisters, a vision pried from the cusp of the heavens where souls stand watch over those they once knew. It was not in life that I met my dearest siblings once more, but in the green fields of death; it is at least pleasant to think that I will not burn and writhe in a dark place, as I have feared. We will walk beneath the sky and ride the sweet winds, and we will be happy and free from our chains.

I find myself wandering. I have remained among the main cavern for many days since the gathering of Circuta’s minions, and while I might search them out for companionship, I refrain. I do not truly want them. I simply need their queen’s talents, if I am not to die in this ethereal, underground collection of tombs.

The caverns seem endless in their branching, but I have selected this one. My cloven hooves click and clack along the stubborn stone beneath me, wings pressed against my sides and the right aching from disuse. It is souring, to think I’ve spend over a year regaining my ability to fly only to lose the hard won muscles to this stone safe haven, but I will survive. If nothing else, I can always manage this.

The narrow path broadens into another room, but this one draws my eyes to its resplendence with a subtle smile that curves my lips. Slowly I step further in, admiring the gleaming vines that reach towards my ears and spine, tickle the tips of my wings that have raised from my spine in my enthusiasm for the star-like gleam of this place. Taking to the perimeter of the room, I begin to walk its circumference, admiring each facet of the glowing room with the first trickling of happiness I’d felt since hearing a Phantom Seeker might find my sisters.

Ahead of me appears a stallion of winged lineage, halting my forward progression to take status of him; he is attractive, for a man, painted and carrying a soft grace that reminds me of the high ranking male slaves of Elysia. I am unsure as to what he looks for so restlessly, looking about as if something incredible is to happen at any moment, but I suppose he feels the same as I do.

He yearns for the silken embrace of the wind against his body. I can understand his pain.

"’Lo," I call out to him despite the cry of my veins to turn away and leave him to his loneliness, the strange lilt to my tones evident even in the single syllable; I am not of this land, perhaps I never will manage to even fit in at all. It is my curse, to feel this way when I look upon all men, no matter how lonely I myself may be, and it is my fate to suffer so for what I have done in my past.

At least I am not alone. My sisters know the ache that grows within my breast as I struggle against the rising urge to assault him should he turn to return my greeting.
image by fantasystock@deviantart.com

Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE

Quilyan

The first thing that he notices when he hears the voice is that it belongs to an attractive mare. Oh, don't get me wrong, he is loyal to a fault to Resplendence, and he would never dream of betraying her trust - after all, he was raised in a land where mating for life was the norm and anything less was frowned upon - but that did not stop him from admiring the pretty ladies. There is a small part of him that will always be flirtatious, even though it is completely harmless now, even though he has no intentions of acting on such thoughts. But he knows beauty, and he knows confidence, and this mare exudes both. She has a grey-blue pelt that fades to darkness at her points and along her face and a pale blue mane and tail. Feathered wings sprout from her withers, and a leonine tail sweeps majestically behind her. But what really catches his eye is her markings (or what he takes to be markings, not knowing her history and all that it entailed). They could almost glow in the dark surroundings, and he finds his gaze drifting along the curves of the markings, and then over the lines of her bodice.

He meets her eyes, and is taken by their color. He imagines that she regards him with reservation, and he wonders where she came from. He wonders if she knows how lovely she is; somehow, the way she carries herself assures him that she does. He recognizes something of himself in her. Royalty has a lingering effect, and though he cannot be sure of his assumptions, he would bet on her lineage being high-bred. Could she have come from a neighboring kingdom to Th'orqui? In another life, could she have been his? Could they have been paired off in some arranged relationship, destined to rule his kingdom, destined to produce a new crop of offspring to take over when they were gone? After a brief moment of contemplation, he realizes that he is staring thoughtfully (albeit rudely), and chuckles to himself, offering a friendly grin. His manner is relaxed, every bit the prince he once was: "Well, hello yourself." There is a playful lilt to his voice. "Who knew such beauty could thrive in such unfortunate conditions?" He smiles again, attempting to show that he means no harm, that he wishes to enter a game of flirtation, should she accept his invitation.

He bows his head, sweeping downward in a practiced, fluid motion meant to greet nobility in his homeland. "M'lady, I'm afraid I have been rude. I am Quilyan. Might I have the honor of your name?"

[W/C | ---]
Walk walk walk.
Talk talk talk.
Think think think.

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

C e a l e s t i s
Daughter of the Sky

Men.

They’re all the same, from my experience. They see a nice looking woman and suddenly stars fill their eyes, a fire eats at their loins. I suppose it is the nature of all beings; we are alive. Our only purpose is to pass on that life to others, to teach what we have learned and continue the cycle.

I only wish he did not look at me so.

At least he is winged, and for this I will not rebuke his gaze or the way his eyes linger on my fine, Elysian lines; I let slaves do worse to me. This man is a free one, and he has never known chains. There is something bold about him, as if he is a streak of yellow and umber in a world of grey, and he knows it. If I wasn’t so corrupted as I am now, I might enjoy the way he seems to tease with his very presence, for he reminds me of the father of my first son in certain regards.

Instead, I remember only the bloody remains of the child he had given me.

A boy child, most distasteful to the women of the crown, and I had been young and inexperienced, unable to control the lust for its blood as soon as I realized it was imperfect and the venom sunk its fangs deep into my heart. I had lied to my maidens, and told them that it had been born dead, that the terror of knowing I had harbored decay within my womb had driven me into a frenzied panic.

Only half of it was true.

His chuckle draws me to the realization that we have been staring at each other for quite some time now.

I do not laugh, I don’t even grin; my memories have frozen my face in this mask of vague curiosity so he cannot see my soul shredding itself through the inward mirrors of my eyes.

Through some divine given strength of will, I manage not to roll my eyes at him in exasperated playfulness as he lays on a heavily lacquered line (perhaps my eye twitches, or my lip staggers from it’s perfectly straight alignment); I can smell the pheromones from here, practically see it rippling out from his body as he stands there smiling like the charming devil he is. I find that I am now struggling not to cordially return his smile, for it is so warm and inviting, the tender note of the harp swallowing the dismal bonging of the bell, and while he is irritating, it is not entirely unpleasant.

And then he bows, and I am helpless to its promise of a moment of serenity, a place where I may smile and laugh freely among others again, a three year old girl untouched by the evils of my foremothers. It is not true, even I know this, the one who dreams it, but it is such a sincere gesture that I have not seen in my time here.

I return his bow, lion’s tail curling up about my side and the peaks of my wings lifting while the tips remained low, the right hoof extended before me as the left curls up towards my lowered lips. Quilyan. I am still smiling despite the snarling of my veins when I return to a standing position and am asked for my own name. "Cealestis," I say, accent heavy, for I am sure he is also not of this land and I long to feel kinship again, even if it is with a man.

Helovians, thus far, have not had manners like this one, no matter how crude his initial lines might have been.

"The room itself is beautiful enough to prove such things are true."

I look upwards at the glowing strands, smile still soft and subtle on my lips as I let my broad eyes slip back down towards his face, slowly and with heavy lids. I will play his game, for a little while. Until I cannot bare the agony of my mind anymore, I will try to appease Quilyan of Unknown. "I only wish it was a sky above us, not stone. Small quarters make one such as myself quite restless."

Nonsense, really; I should be used to it. The castle had stone ceilings.

And broad, open doorways into Heaven.

Quilyan

She stares at him with what he imagines is the same interest that he shows her, and some pompous, arrogant part of his mind that has yet to be laid to rest settles, purring contently in a corner of his memory. How many times did he preen himself as lovestruck maidens looked on, envious of any whom he showed favor and starstruck when he chose to bless them with his presence? It hadn't mattered then that they had been in love with his crown; no, he had reveled in their worshipful gazes and gushing dialogues, enjoyed the flirtatious games of the court. It had been so easy then to become lost in surreptitious glances, thrilled with the risk of escaping chaperones, all in the name of rebellion. It is not so easy now, as the quiet beauty of his princess crowds in the back of his mind, watching reproachfully as he flirts boldly with some unknown mare.

She bows, though it is more feminine as she adds a lift of her leonine tail. Again, he is convinced that she comes from a line of royalty with which he is not familiar. Her name rolls heavily through the air and he soaks it in, enjoying the foreign syllables. "Cealestis," he repeats, pronouncing it carefully in an attempt to mimic the strange accent. He is quite pleased with the result. He offers a smile - kindly, but not particularly flirtatious, and it seems that he has dropped his initial game. The pretty mare returns her own lines that turn his attention to the room in which they stand; violet eyes scan their surroundings and are impressed by the strange glowing mushrooms, the gently bubbling creek winding from the quiet waterfall. There is a certain serenity to it that offers a release from the tension he has been feeling. He is surprised that he did not notice it before.

She looks at him sidelong, and he is pleased to note that he is still able to play the game. It is at this point that Zarina scolds him, loudly, not bothering to keep to mind-speech. He winces, not having noticed her small form creep to his poll, where she proceeded to box his ears with tiny paws. Irritated chittering explodes from above, and he pins his auds, shaking his head; she tumbles down, grasping his mane to keep from falling to the floor, and growls softly. Her anger is amusing, if somewhat of a turn-off, and he assures her that his pretty words have no meaning. It is a silent plea, and she turns, flips her tail at his head, and wraps herself in the base of his mane once more. The steed hopes that his bonded's antics have gone unnoticed, though the little marmoset continues to glare at the fae. He sighs inwardly, and makes a face at his companion. "I must apologize for my bonded. I am afraid that she, too, is restless here." He pauses, looks to the sky, only to be met with stone.

He grew up in a castle, though he does not imagine that the pair of them have this in common. He never found the stone to be so suffocating back then. "It would seem that one does not appreciate that which in taken for granted until it is no longer available," he offers, a soft murmur, an insight into a deeper soul than that which he commonly shows. One might call him a prankster, what with the mask he wears, but it is not on display now. "However, claustrophobia is a fitting look for you, m'lady." Ah, but it's back, the joking flirtation, the twinkle in the eye. An angry squeak sounds from his shoulder, and the marmoset reminds him that this is not a game. He is not at home, and he cannot act this way. Again, he shakes her off. She puffs her chest out, fuming, and waits for his next idiotic words. She is determined to be heard, and he is determined to ignore her.

What a wonderful game they play.

[W/C | ---]
Walk walk walk.
Talk talk talk.
Think think think.

Tangere Posts: 159
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2hh :: Six Years | Birdsong HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Phrixus :: White Raven :: None Psilo

The room of lights has turned out to be quite the savior of a place. Food lies in here, and strange happenings – things other than the illuminated fungi. Strange but good, so far, after all the passed days have granted her a full belly and an egg nestled in her mane; Helovia hasn’t stopped twisting since the day she’d arrived.

The underworld rages below the frozen ground, meetings, war, politics, love, lust, violence…and whatever else happens when everyone is crammed into a cave. So far Tangere has managed to avoid much controversy or action in general, besides the bird who fashioned this shelled baby into her mane and learning that moss fills your belly better than nothing at all. The silver mare has literally and shamelessly fled from every questionable situation that has stumbled across her. It took her several tries to figure out about the cave – ironically it is the same place she found her first salvation and her second. First Illynx to show her the bronze unicorn and the Basin; then Gaucho who shown her the way to the caves. Both things found among the population in the Threshold, randomly, really.

And here she is. Eggbaby and all; she assumes it’s a bird like the one who gave it to her, but honestly, she has no idea what hell it could be.

When the room opens up to her it is lit with oranges and pastel blues, all very pale and dimly glowing. Bodies huddle in the corners and travel in the open, the room seems rather busy. It’s been busy for the last few days, as Tang would know because she has spent the last four days lurking among the Glowing Room’s shadows, watching and listening. She’s learned nothing…really…except survival, which is undeniably her most perfected skill. She had little in mind while listening when she did try; only wondering where her acquaintances may be among the scattered, infected and dead. She found out nothing of anyone except Abishia, who seemed to have an uncanny ability to survive as well – no matter her age and naivety.

Tangere’s silver and white pattern, broken as if in shards and pieces across her fuzzy body. Her fur is thick with the fall of snow, but not as thick as it should be come this season. The lack of sunlight and lack of cold temperatures give her an odd ‘in-between coat’, not sleek and not very long either. Simply in-between. Her mocha eyes reflect the gloss of faint light radiating from the fungus walls…and something else is illuminated with it as well.. It is lit by the flow of hot, toiling liquid rock moving behind it like a cutting through land. She approaches it, to investigate, but takes no notice of the two pegasus standing off to the side. She touches the warm symbols with the pink tip of her upper lip; it stretches over the glowing writings. She turns to the two and slicing into their quaint conversation she knows nothing of, her eyes lit with wonderment and the gleam of the room. “These are beautiful…” She whispers at them.. “Do you know who made them? Or what they mean?” These questions are cast at both of them, but really it was a question for the Gods…

@[Cealestis], @[Quilyan]

• You may use violence and magic against her at will, but no death.
  • Please tag me so I don't forget anyone(:

@[Tangere]

C e a l e s t i s
Daughter of the Sky

My name is always strange on the lips of others, but this one meets the syllables with a boldness that I have found uncommon outside of the stiff barriers of my home. It is not perfect, but it will do; it rolls and ripples from his lips with some of the same fluidity with which I myself or my siblings might say it.

I smile, softly, in praise. I am not the sort to overwhelm others with presents for small signs of intelligence.

I expect that of us all.

He thankfully removes his eyes from me for a moment, so I may swallow my breath slowly and deeply in the absence of his pressure. It is not that I entirely mind; a part of me still longs for romance and sweet princes, palaces garbed in crystal garland and filled with the sound of prancing hooves, but I am truly too old for such fur lined dreams. I cannot love him; this is truly just a game of how long I might appease him in his game of batting lashes and sumptuously curved bodies.

As soon as our gazes touch again, however, a small and furry storm bursts from his neck and assaults his ears, her shrill screams echoing about the room and forcing Quilyan’s ears down and his head to savagely shaking. From the appearance, this is his bonded – but as she sails rather gracelessly through the air still shrieking and barely manages to grasp his mane before tumbling to the floor, I am forced to raise a brow.

However annoying her assault might have been for him, it served a purpose, and to toss her so rudely from his crown is an insult to their connection. Is she not his sister, of deeper blood? Is she not supposed to rely upon him for his strength?

As the little fluffy thing scampers back into her nest on his wither, I also cannot help but notice that she looks hatefully not at the man who almost concussed her on the stone floor, but me.

Oh, dear Quilyan, how short a life you would have lived in Elysia – or long, depending on how you choose to play the game.

I have yet to see if your companion is a wrench tossed into your well oiled gears. If not for her, would you be elusive and clever enough to travel between women, never long enough and with such tact as to grow ill favored or too desirous?

And who is your woman, the keeper of your leads, the one for whom your soul splinter has voiced her obvious concern for?

Have you soiled her body with sons?

I listen to him apologize for the miniature monkey, nodding in acceptance of his lie. She is not restless; it is the thing dangling between his legs which causes the disturbance around here. Perhaps they too, are restless within their souls, but the only reason his pet has assaulted him is because she can know what he thinks.

It is a fun game, truly; I will pretend to be the pawn a little longer.

My laughter is chiming and sweet, albeit false, in response to his second and just as lacquered line on beauty, allowing a delicately dished face to tilt humorously to twinkle broad, blue eyes in the direction of both man and squalling creature (the monkey was not amused by the continuance of our game, it would seem). "Why do I feel as if you would find me so sweet as to make the belly ache even whilst covered in excrement?" I coyly ask, glancing most playfully to the small animal nestled among the umber strands of his mane.

I hope she will soon understand that I am not a foolish filly, so easily charmed by her sweet companion. I am merely a lonely woman, cast adrift, and the cadence of the game allows me to slip away from the dark bowels of my soul for a little while.

"Either way, I long for the Heavens the moment my hooves touch the earth," my smile is woeful and teasing, so piteous on such a charming face as my own; it will hide well enough the truth of who I am, for the moment is tender and covered in the silver allure of desire, even if it is false for us both, "to not see her above us seems an unnecessary punishment, even for those as wicked as ourselves."

A voice breaks my attentions on the stag, so rudely slicing into the midst of our words and with no pertinence to the glory of the sky. I twist my head about to glare at her wingless frame some distance from us, aggravation roiling through my heart and spreading all to quickly through my blood. But as I lay eyes upon that which she calls “beautiful” and discover a writing I have never seen before, curiosity helps me quell the outrage of her interruption to my first moment of quiet serenity since arriving to this damnable kingdom.

"Words, of some sort," I reply sharply, the gentleness of my voice in the conversation prior lost to the edge of the venom, though they are still not unkindly. Perhaps they sound learned, or lofty and proud; I do not know, nor do I care.

She is only a unicorn.

"I have seen nothing of them in the libraries of my homeland," I conclude after breaking from Quilyan’s side to better look upon the symbols etched into the stone, finding their shape simplistic and similar to the most ancient forms of writing that we held in the libraries of Elysia. Looking to the painted stag to see if he has followed, I test my theories that he, too, is of a place similar to which I was grown.

"Hieroglyphs – picture based story telling, wouldn’t you say, Sir Quilyan?"

Quilyan

He is relieved when Zarina's angry outburst draws a laugh from the beauty, for though he means nothing by his advances (and doesn't think of the consequences to his potential suitor's pride or happiness in the process), he is rather pleased to have drawn a smile from her. He would never harm his bonded, for she is his light in these dark caverns and has saved him from himself more than once, but of course, the seraph doesn't know that. He does not detect her silent queries, but blusters onward, never stopping to think of how he will be received or remembered. It is very much like the way he acted in Th'orqui, a result of his consistent longing for freedom from the caves. He is restless, and this is his solution, to flirt with an innocent bystander. The fact that she seems to be of his station only increases his interest, all the while infuriating his companion, who has not seemed to grasp the concept of flirting for fun and loving for life.

Still, she falls to a satisfactory quiet as a newcomer enters the scene, a lone unicorn with excitement in her vocals as she interrupts their little game. He does not know if they will ever continue, or when, but he does know that he would like to know more of her past. His acquaintance with royalty has been achingly limited in Helovia, and to find one that speaks his language is a joyful novelty. I do not want her, he tells Zarina silently. But she is like me. Don't be so dramatic. The marmoset sits up, regards him with disapproval, but nods. "As you wish," she tells him with a mental sigh, casting one more anxious glance to the beauty before turning her attention, and thus her prince's, to the newcomer.

The girl is grey and white, though the glow of the caverns paints her a light sea-green; her crown is adorned with a twisted horn, and her nape with a woven pouch carrying a small egg. He is reminded of finding Zarina, and he smiles at the memory. The newcomer is younger than he and Cealestis, and shorter, too. She has a certain youthful charm about her, though beside the seraph that has drawn his attention, she falls short. He does not care that she is only a unicorn, nor does he care about her looks, for she has drawn their attention to the pictographs featured throughout the caves, a subject that he has taken into his own hooves of late. Cealestis looks to him for agreement, and again he feels that strange connection, as though he shares something with her that he can share with no one else.

"I would, m'lady," he agrees with a smile, his vocals more welcoming than the beauty's. "Where I come from, we used such mechanisms to record our history, keep track of inventories, that sort of thing. It's very useful." He pauses, thinking over his time in the caves. "There is another room, the Wall of History - there are wonderful pictographs there accompanied by runes, which I presume tells of the creation of this land. These are for other purposes, but are no doubt useful, once transcribed." His enthusiasm begins to show, his auds pricked forward and his eyes alight. He looks from one to the other, hoping that they might add to his little speech, might provide some new information for his analysis. "So sorry, but I'm afraid I didn't catch your name, miss?" he inquires, remembering his manners at last.

[W/C | ---]
Walk walk walk.
Talk talk talk.
Think think think.

Tangere Posts: 159
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2hh :: Six Years | Birdsong HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Phrixus :: White Raven :: None Psilo

The roan mare seems to hiss behind her, but the silver unicorn’s attentions do not waver; with wonderment she looks on, tracing the glowing lines with her glossy mocha eyes. She can feel the still air around them swirl when the Pegasus adjusts herself to look onto the markings. One pale ear bends to the mares voice, noting the lack of a aggression in it – though it was somehow still obvious wasn’t a very warm presence. Tangere hums an inaudible response, but not peeling her eyes away from the stone carvings. Even when the blue roan questions the other Pegasus, Tang does nothing. She simply bends her ear further back, eyes still making a grid over the indentations. She soaks in the information, letting it melt into her like an inescapable reverse sieve.

When he speaks he tries to address her with a genuine note about his voice; she turns and acknowledges it with a wide, blank-eyed grin. She is as lacking in interest to him as he is to her, but social niceties and his potential to be useful to her draw up manners and amiable behavior. She is tired and not in much of a mood to cultivate new friendships or really, give a shit about anything, but these markings ignite something old and magical – like it’s breathing life into her now dreary existence. She watches him speak his last few sentences and her grin widens, she slides her gaze back to the roan and then back to him. “Well we’ll have to transcribe them then…” He asks for her name and she looks away instead of answering, casting her eyes over the symbols as if they’re ancestors locked within the rocks. She notes the mention of the “Wall of History”.

Tangere.” She rolls her name through her mouth like it is unimportant, snapping her eyes back to the stallion the moment the title falls away from her lips. “Do you know anyone else who knows more about this?” This time her soft voice is rushed, taut with anxiousness. She sizes up her challenge…in her mind, they’re aboard and on the same level, she assumes they know what she’s trying to do even if she doesn’t know herself, really.

@[Quilyan], @[Cealestis]

• You may use violence and magic against her at will, but no death.
  • Please tag me so I don't forget anyone(:

C e a l e s t i s
Daughter of the Sky

I lend Quilyan an ear as he responds to my inquiry with more enthusiasm than even that which he had teased up his lines in our prior conversation. It settles in my mind well that he has had access to libraries and written word, an economic system far superior to this fledging land we have somehow both stumbled upon; a connection, that burns and sparks, and draws me to the quick conclusion that I will be seeing more of the painted stallion, if for no other reason than to quell my suspicions that he once wore a crown or stood in the proximity of gold laced throne.

Even if he is only a scholar of his former kingdom, he is more learned and valuable than the other peasants I have come across. Surely, they can craft objects and have a miniscule version of a trade system among one another, but it is not Elysia. They have not a single field that is plowed by the men or a garden in which herbs are kept by wise women who heal with their aura and their plants.

They don’t even remember their own language, if this one is from this land. I look to the unicorn with raised interest in her heritage; it may be she is from an even less civilized homeland than this hellish place.

Let us hope she learns quickly. I have little tolerance for idiotic females, even less so than foolish men; if she proves to be a moron, I will cauterize her reproductive organs myself to ensure she doesn’t dishonor our gender any further than she already has wearing that ridiculous horn.

He mentions other runes etched into the stone in the caverns outside this one, and I find myself irate with my own failures to notice such things; I have been to lost in my own thoughts, dwelling upon the foul turns of fortune that have assaulted me since abandoning my mother and future kingdom.

All I had to do was kill Hespera, after all – and she was likely to explode all on her own.

I had been patiently waiting, until the night they were to tattoo Antiope; we had all agreed it would not come to pass, and fled our mother’s reach, our wings meant to carry us to the ends of the earth. But then the storm had come… and all of our plans were lost on the static infused wind.

I will not fret. I have faith in what the sky brings to me. I only wish that the time between our hastened loneliness and the reunion I have foreseen will be short; while I do not love all my sisters, I do care for them. And it is possible, as all things are possible, that we might be cured of our afflictions by some being in this land.

I have been partially listening to the exchange of words for some time now, catching the unicorn’s last inquiry and her name and filing away the latter for use on a different day. As for her question – I have an answer for her, I just do not know how to present the information. To share a cryptic half reply that I have sisters in this land whom can also read and write, but that I know not where they are or when in the time stream they will arrive; their souls are here. It is all I can tell her.

I doubt she is clever enough to understand the intricate weave of time and the path inscribed for us at birth, the magic that I was born with that has allowed me to see the lines of its ever bending path.

And so I remain silent, for now; they are of no use to me yet, my beautiful and graceful kin. Our paths have not met.

"We should not need more minds," I state, deciding instead upon a path of logic and a foundation of faith in Quilyan’s intelligence and station, ”the language is simple and quite literal at points." Finding one such emblem against the stone and directing a wing tip at it and the mentioned neighbors in turn, I finish with an example. "We begin with nouns - things, which will generally be exactly what the word is. This one is a sun. It is near fire. We can thus assume it pertains to the Sun God and his magic, be it a tale of himself, a follower who received his blessing, or a simple description of his power. Once we detail out more of the nouns and compare the myriad descriptors and symbols denoting an action to other samples from different regions in the caves we can figure out what story it is telling."

It sounds much more complicated than it is out on the open air, I decide while speaking.

Perhaps we will need others; I will not admit such things. I am wise enough to complete the task on my own, surely, and with the assistance of Quilyan and even unlearned Tangere we should make good progress so long as we are tenacious in our studies.

I glance back to Quilyan, a smile on my lips in delight of stretching my mental muscles so with a worthy study companion. "The sun was also in the creation room?" I ask, relatively sure that the answer was yes.
Magic/physical violence allowed to be used upon Cealestis at any time, so long as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission.

Quilyan

The lady's rudeness does not deter the newcomer; instead, she seems to be unaware that Cealestis even noticed her. The prince only shrugs, used to a stricter hierarchy than was followed in Helovia. Where he comes from, most nobles held themselves in the highest esteem and would not be caught dead conversing with a commoner, fearing the scandal it would cause. As the crown prince, he hadn't had to worry about that - his father had insisted that all of his future people were important, and he found the city mares much easier to woo. They all wanted to brag that they had bagged themselves a prince, whereas the well-bred women (who, in truth, he found much more appealing, if only because of the chase they provided) were proper and chaste. He visited the city to see the easy faes; he came home to woo his future mate. Such was the way of his world, and they had all known it. It didn't matter now, anyway - he had never found a potential mate that had held his interest, much to his mother's dismay, and his caste was of no importance now that those who would have crowned him were dead.

The newcomer - Tangere, he finally found out - is transfixed with the cave walls, insisting, to Quilyan's amusement, that they transcribe the ruins. He cocks his head to the side, regarding her with interest. Does she not realize the time that would take? But it is Cealestis who is the first to reply, her distaste less apparent. She details the process they must follow, and he nods, interest lighting his gaze. This time, should she look his way, she will not see lust in his violent gaze, nor even flirtation; she will see only the desire to speak once more to a like-minded individual of proper upbringing, a passion for the work that they must do. He was never a scholar at home, it's true, but here - here everything is different, and he misses that which he had always taken for granted. "It is as m'lady says," he tells Tangere kindly. "A long process, to be sure, but not particularly difficult once started."

Cealestis asks him another question, and he is more than happy to answer, his enthusiasm lending an added warmth to his vocals. "Yes, m'lady. The markings there are more hieroglyphic, more pictorial than these. They were done in older styles, I believe, relying on sizing to mark importance. There are images, large ones, as big as my head at the top depicting the gods, as well as I can tell; as your gaze goes down the wall, the images get smaller, showing their decreasing importance. It shows the gods, the land, and then the inhabitants, the order in which I assume they came to Helovia. I would hazard a guess that the runes in this room came later and are more advanced. Instead of using detailed images, they started to come up with symbols. Some are straightforward, like the sun, but some are more difficult to decipher, as one would assume as a population grew more and more superior. Frankly, I'm surprised that the language died out, if it were started and developing this way. Perhaps, if we could find a Helovian native... but alas, those I have come across traveled from distant lands. From where do you hail, Tangere? Do you know of any born in these lands?"

[W/C | ---]
Walk walk walk.
Talk talk talk.
Think think think.