the Rift

[PRIVATE] Choice & Chance

God of the Earth Posts: 287
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: 22.0hh :: Ageless
Admin

God of the Earth
Buried in Water and Earth

It would be as it always had. The circle always remained unbroken, no matter how fractured or torn it appeared on the surface. It would always come to pass this way, and would continue to do so for the rest of eternity. Birth. Life. Death. This darkness - this plague - was not so shocking, even if its source was invisible to the God's vast stores of knowledge. Even that was fine, so long as there were no surprises.

Of that however, he was not completely certain.

But as the seasons changed and time moved on, certain contingencies needed to be accounted for. All was choice and chance, but the God could see more, knew more, and in this capacity, he would advise the mortals of Helovia.

One in particular.

Midas...

The name rose from the pool like a whisper in the darkness. Inflated by the magic of the God, it flitted through the air, then moved into the tunnels of the caves. Silently, invisibly, the magic sought out its target: the paint with the golden touch. The God needed him now, and swiftly, but was not concerned. Midas had never kept him waiting long, and surely this time would be no different. As the wisp of magic finally found the dark ears of the winged one, it burst gently, releasing the name, spoken in the voice of the god. It was also accompanied by the mental image of the Sunken Falls, where the God was currently waiting, hidden in the vast pool of liquid.

The time for palaver of things to come, was now.

Private. For @[Midas]

Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Days passed, slipping by on a stagnate wind. An unease that was growing harder to tolerate with each passing eve; I found myself gazing out from our sanctuary to seek relief. Watching the silent ash drip from heaven like black snow. My breath came out as a misty cloud and a cough whelped behind the exhale. This air was strangely heavy uptop, and it was musky moist below. Each foreign inhale was sticking in our lungs like a fungus; every tongue could likely taste how it was laced with the tainted flavor of death and discord. When would we be able to sample the wind again? Not this foul stuff, but something sweet and pure.

This darkness was far beyond my power, completely out of reach from a simple moral. It laughed in our faces, breathing hatefully down our throats with a burning fire that no cave spring could quench. A fire of need. We were creatures of light and life—our very bodies screamed for a clean breath of air, a glimpse of sunlight filtering past a bright emerald canopy. The unforgettable smell of turned earth, unmarred by blood. We’d all begun to grown tired of the decay. Whatever sin had caused this corruption I would give my life to see it paid in full. That wasn’t to say my gratitude for this sanctuary didn’t surpass mountains…Nay I’d never voice an ounce of ungrateful remark.

I’d been standing by, waiting for Fina to return from her hunt. She preferred the cold outdoors to stifling air below, and had I been made of sunlight my thoughts might have mirrored the same. That was when I heard his call, and it could only be him. Crown swiveled toward the entrance as a wash of imagery filtered across my vision. Limbs locked to prevent a stumble as lids passively shut and the vision of our cave and cascading falls imprinted itself upon my mind. He has called and I would be a fool not to respond when the father summons his child.

Eyes slipped apart and the awakened depths turned toward the distant dunes of rock and lava, nobody was around. With urgency born from the strong desire to do as he bid and my own selfish heart to see a lord I’d not witnessed since our last conversation in the veins. I turned to follow the path back into our pit. Darkness shadowed my frame, little shimmers of light followed my path gleefully as gold sprang from each clattering hoof. Would he be disappointed that I’d not yet completed his quest? Nay, such was doubtful, I’d not abandoned it—but lacked time to seek out crafters when we were constantly at war.

Earth trembled and the roar of water rose like thunder. Heartbeat quickened doublefold with a mixture of anxiety and excitement. Like a babe who had long been from his Da’s side, I yearned to see him, feel his warmth in all its familiarity. At the same time I worried for the purpose of this palaver. Agile trot slowed to a walk and the dimly lit waters came into view. Wisdom drew me to pause, head remained high with gaze searching. His presence was near, this was the meeting place burned in my mind. “Father.” I whispered.

MIDAS & FINA
I'm waking up to ash and dust

STOCK CREDITS
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Helovian Ancient
Admin

God of the Earth

The God could feel Midas' presence as he neared, and a warm smiled tugged at this invisible lips. The paint had not disappointed him, and for that he was glad. Whatever darkness subsumed the land above, also tried to bar him from entering the caves below. It had taken tremendous amounts of energy to appear in the waters of the Wall of History, and even now in the depths of the pool, he could feel his energy waning. Still, he was strong. He drew his strength from the waters and the stones that created this intricate wall of caves that the Helovian's currently resided in. Whatever wanted him out, would have to annihilate the very rocks to do so. And nothing had that power save for him - such a thing could not happen without his blessing. He was safe, if not weary.

The waters gently bubbled, stirring contrary to the rush from the falls above. They stirred in a gentle circle, as if all of the droplets were shoving each other in tandem, trying to be the first to touch the side of the God as he appeared. His massive form gradually began to materialize from the depths; first as a rocky shadow. He appeared like a boulder silently rising from the water - his muscles and wings comprised of granite and onyx. Tendrils of water burst from the cracks in his form, as fur and feather began to gently take form from the water and rock. Hazy emerald eyes gazed fixedly upon Midas, as the God's horned crown bowed from the waters hold. He remained in the pool, drawing strength from the water, but waded forward until only his canon bones were covered.

"Midas." He offered warmly, a genuine smile spreading his dark lips. "It is good that you have come. How have you fared in these caves?"

The question was not merely one of politeness - his omniscient gaze was blocked and covered in haze, when it came to permeate into the happenings of the caves. He knew that all was well more or less, but knew few details. That in itself was perplexing, but he would not trouble Midas with that now. Not when there were more pressing matters at hand.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

I couldn’t hide my smile of unforsaken joy as the water stirred, so pure was my affection and worship for this astral creature. Reared down from family to family, stirred into life by story and an enduring love that surpassed fear. True, I feared this god above all others. But not because of power or position… Even before his frame had totally rise I’d already fallen to one knee in a revered bow, head bent toward the stones below and ears pressed ever forward. Feathers rippled against barrel, muscles keeping them tightly coiled.

It wasn’t for us to know of the struggles in heaven, considering we could barely keep up with our own problems in Helovia. I’d not understand how this evil was weighting him, pulling at his ancient power; such knowledge would have been disheartening, and it was mercy that he would keep it from me. If my lord couldn’t stand against this darkness with complete ease, then how in the world would we be able to overcome? There were greater things afoot, issues that my moral mind likely wouldn’t comprehend without his patience and manner of explaining.

His voice is a cool river of relief that I’d been so desperately searching for, my name upon those grand lips was all the encouragement needed to rise from a submissive position. Bright gaze climbs to him, “I endure as the world moves on,” my voice is nowhere near as thick as his, nor as wise, but it holds truth, “Like the whole of Helovia.”

Steadily I continue, “Some have drank from the fountain and been restored, but there are countless others beyond these walls. This war against darkness is keeping up a fragile peace for the sake of battle; time passes slowly, but it does without much discord here.” There was really little else to report, we were fighting when able and keeping up appearance. Though I found more to say, questions that filtered ahead of my brain, “Father, who stands behind this evil? Can ye tell from where it beds and can it be fought?” Without killing a weed at the root, it would surely rise again, stronger. As if to explain quick spoken questions I add ,“I…we are weary in the mind. I yearn to leave this place…” gaze slowly dropped downcast. Joy was strangled by the weight of reality; if the wraiths didn't kill us, our own insanity would.

MIDAS & FINA

STOCK CREDITS

Helovian Ancient
Admin

God of the Earth

Trouble stirred in the God's warm gaze as Midas spoke, but his head bobbed gently in agreement. Midas was not one for whom he would sully the truth with niceties. The heart of the paint was strong, and his mind even stronger. Although the news he bore was not nearly as hopeful as Midas might have assumed, it would not be weighted down with falsities. The God would tell his young charge what he knew, and what he wanted.

The God smiled as Midas described how the waters he had purified had indeed served to heal those who could be brought to them; although he knew as did Midas, that there were still others inflicted who would not seek the sanctuary for aid. There were those enjoying their present predicament. But alas, this was nothing knew, and in fact was to be expected.

"Their numbers do dwindle Midas. The rate of things being cured has overtaken that of the infected, and yet they do still linger. My kin are doing what we can, and yet even we are barred from eradicating it all together. I fear this task is a tedious one, that we must labor together to complete. But it will end, Midas. Of that you can be certain - and that end draws near. It is to that end that I have called you."

Solemnly the God lowered his great brow, to be more eye-level with the sturdy campolina. He sighed, causing the tendrils of dark hair that adorned his chin to flutter slightly. He appeared more weary in that instant than ever before - his fatherly and nurturing aura wavering slightly - for it was not often that the God of the Earth asked those over whom he presided for favours. Even so, Midas was a rational creature, and the God believed he would receive his instruction well.

"Although you and your family pledge yourselves to me, I have watched you grow under the rays of the sun, and the heat of the desert. From afar, I have let this occur. I am not a jealous God, as my kin often are; where you choose to make your bed has made little difference to me, until now. You have ventured to the Foothills before - the land under my control - but you have not seen into its heart. It has been ruled both justly and carelessly, but I can no longer abide by the destruction and evil that permeates there. You have met Apollo, the gentle healer and now-leader, but I would not have him rule anymore, for I have larger plans that require your aid. In your meetings with herd ambassadors, I have seen that you have also meet Seele, leader of the band calling themselves the Asylum. I want you to help them, Midas, for they have done all that they can, but now require more aid. They cannot last in the wilderness now that their numbers have become swollen with those needing their protection. They have my sympathies - for Seele has created a haven for those with lost minds and troubled hearts - but I do not trust her to lead on her own.

I want you to forgo the Dragon's Throat and my brother, and reside in the heart of the Foothills - a place called the Hidden Falls. Not even the current leads, nor any before, know its location, but I will show it to you. There, you shall lead your family, and provide protection to the Asylum, alongside Seele.

What say you Midas? Shall you do this thing?"

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

My lord did not scowl, nor belittle my concerns. He answered readily and openly, undaunted by questions. His assurance that heaven was fighting alongside, was encouraging. The corners of my lips flicked into a small smile and his nod was returned with an acknowledging one of my own; I lingered on the ground until my lord mentioned the purpose of this meeting. The end of the darkness, a tempting topic that had crown swinging back toward his tender gaze. There was something different about the way he stood now, his power not nearly as strong and comforting as before. Perhaps it was due to the strain of evil, perhaps not. I’d not get the chance to ask further on such a topic before he moved into an explanation.

Words that followed set my heart from chest into stomach. A mixture of shock, concern, and powerful elation. I had grown under the rays of sunlight, nourished like a desert flower blooming despite the harsh world moving around it. I’d grown from a gangly colt, to a leader of power and pull. Memories, some sweet, others bitter—but all an important piece of the complex puzzle that would complete our lives. My astral guide and father had been patient, waiting for maturity to override the notions of a youthful adult. Those days, were in the past and a future lay before me. All that was left, was to step into the light.

But was I ready? My eyes closed as he finished and head fell toward chest. Part of me wanted to retreat from him, the childish part, the scared slice of my soul that yearned for the feel of sand beneath and an open sky above. Another half rose from embers he had been nourishing with soft breath since the moment of birth—it climbed upon the wings of a phoenix, brighter than sunlight and purer than starlight. The adult, the man that was within this throbbing chest.

A child must eventually shed the coat of his youth in order to gain new and wonderful things. Just as a suckling would be weaned from his mother’s breast, and spontaneous colts take their leave of home. Lids slipped apart once more, focused in on some spot in the water before shifting up, “I say what ye already knows. For ye knew the answer before it was even spoken through my lips.” A shaky breath comes forth, but with steadfast energy I reply, “I will do as ye bid with a willing heart, to completeness, or till the end of life.”

MIDAS & FINA

STOCK CREDITS

Helovian Ancient
Admin

God of the Earth

A hearty and warm laugh boomed from the God's powerful jaws, breaking the tension like rocks falling from the face of a mountain. Mortals were curious creatures - full of surprise and their own brand of magic. It was false that the God knew Midas' answer, but what he was able to foresee was this assumption on the part of the paint; it warmed his heart to see it happen. Midas had grown into a creature worthy of a relationship with a God - and the God was well pleased to be on the receiving end. He knew that Midas would not fail him in this task, but also knew that it would require some adjustment on the part of the campolina.

"I am proud of you, Midas. Alas, I cannot remain here - not in this place. Should you need me, I am but a word-away, should you visit me in the pool within your new home, or at my shrine. I will always hear the words of your heart, my child. Be well, Midas."

Softly, the hulking form of the God began to decay and crack. Bits of dust and rubble dropped into the water gently, swallowed up into its depths. Another hardy laugh parted the God's lips as his figure broke apart entirely, scattering itself into the pool.