the Rift

[OPEN] it's a battle of the fittest

Morir Posts: 79
Up For Adoption atk: 4.5 | def: 6.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 4 HP: 54 | Buff: NOVICE
Arwydd :: Raven :: None Adoptable

Monsters or no monsters, death or plague or hell come to claim the world, he wouldn't stay in those caves longer than was absolutely necessary. He didn't care for the damp, the echoes, the stifling heat and odor of hundreds of horses crammed into a small space for far too long, no more than he cared for the endless tunnels that crept deep into the bowels of the earth, chasms and unknown chambers holding things foul and sinister only waiting to erupt upon them all. A child of the northern tundra was not fit to lurk under ground but to roam the expanse with fire in the heart and ice on his back.

Better then to face the fierce chill of midwinter winds as fine particles of frosty downpour stabbed the skin like needles. He faced the blizzard gladly and meandered northward while counting the steps to make sure he would find the way back to the hidden sanctuary. It was with a sense of elation he braved the storm, a wild, dark, dangerous mirth as ragged and fierce as the silk that flew like tatters from the crest, mimicking murders of crows blown by frigid gusts. Icicles had already formed in the thick rag beneath chin and belly, coated the triplet spears and painted that gruesome death mask over his face even paler than before.

Yet he wasn't cold. Not more than usual, body and soul, closed off as he was from the present by iron shackles known as memory and time.

A shadow of a smile upon supple lips brave the bleak winter light as he stop to graze, massive hooves shoveling away the deep snow to reach dry grasses below. It is heavy work, slow and tedious, yet it allow the mind to wander - something the shaded youth desperately need. Much has happened in short time - too much, perhaps, to fully consider in such a brief period of time - and there is a need for pause and consideration to look over decisions made and choices taken.

Almost thoughtfully he begin to eat, jaws working steadily to crush rough strands and tough herbs. It's a rhythm, a dance, a meticulous waltz; rip, grind, swallow, shuffle and repeat. And all the while the wind keeps howling as snow cover his tracks, blanketing sturdy shoulders and flanks and turning him truly into a dark ghost, descended upon the meadow for purposes unknown.

@[Morana]
What if I say I will never surrender?

BackgroundLabs.com

♦ Please tag Morir in all replies! 

Morana Posts: 37
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15 :: 5 Buff: NOVICE
Candy

Time had seemed to elapse within the walls of the caves, day after day of crowded loneliness. Who would have thought one could feel so distant from others in a crowded room of bodies. But it was no matter now, the darkness had seemed to elevate itself from the lands of Helovia and the crisp dawn was breaking upon the horizon. Though the warmth of the sun was masked by the smudged clouded sky, and the snow still fell upon the lands, leaving spring to withdraw into hiding till the sun kissed the earth again. I had decided to wonder from the safe walls of the underground caverns, passing past the heart of Helovia, savoring the warmth that brushed against the fibers of my skin.

Intrigued, curious, my intentions of abandoning those cold rock walls are inevitable now. It was a perfect timing, as pink tongue laps upon velvet lips I could taste the adventure, the unknown fluttering in the air. It was mine for the taking, and there was nothing, no one to hold me back. A glint- I’ll bet a sinister one, mingled within my focused pools, gazing upon the snow dusted tundra before me. Deadly beauty, this was winter, the cold biting at my heels- threads of onyx and ivory dusted in flecks of ice. The cold was numbing, but to say the least, I was rather starved; there was not much source of food within those musty caves. Not that there would be much luck in a winter wonderland either.

So with a burst of energy, I exhausted all my resources into my stride. Legs ache from being captive below the earths crust, unable to stretch and exceed to full length. Muscles stretch and mend as the cold snow and ice pelts against my warming auburn cloak. Ivory legs pump wildly, and yet retain their grace and my body follows suite. Heaving breaths, stagger against the cold. I could feel my glass crimson pendant bouncing upon my breast as I plowed through the fallen snow, leaving a spray of white behind powerful hooves.

You should have stayed within the caves. Eyes rolled and narrowed to the suggestion my mother had made. It was always amusing she still lingers in my mind, even after her death. I refuse to stay locked up in fear. I did not know emotion well, and fear never had crossed my mind. Lobes arose from my lifted crown as a shadow figure rippled into view through the sheets of falling snow. A unicorn stallion, dusted with ice and snow, grazed upon what little foliage he could find. Hooves slowed, legs clenching and sliding through the snow to a graceful halt. Heaving breaths fluttered through my nostrils as I perked my head in his direction, eyes fixated on his features, his weaponry. The envy in her eyes cascaded through them with obvious delight. How stunning he was, to bare such a wonderful set of weaponry!

Delighted, and eager to meet someone new unsure if this was a demon or not; though I did not think a demon would be feasting upon herbs, I made a graceful walk toward the being. Rounding to approach him from the front, as not to shock or surprise I couldn’t help but notice his unusual markings, and his eyes laced in scars, there were no pools to gaze into, nothing to show emotion or greet. Curious, I froze in place, gazing upon his rather unique body. Well that’s not natural. I wonder what happened to him. Shuffling my hooves to a firmer place in the snow, I let my voice, soft and seductive flow from my plush white lips, steam from my breath melting the layer of frost upon my nose. ”Dining alone tonight?” I remained at a safe distance, wary of those pointed black horns. There was no telling if the stallion was temperamental or not, and I really didn’t have the energy to fight in a snow storm.

@[Morir]
Normal Speech
Mother's Voice.
Response to mother.
Table coded by Abba

Even falling snow has a sound. Most cannot perceive it over the ruckus their own bodies make; heartbeats, staggering breath trying to ease up, blood flowing throughout the veins and the never ending churn of muscles. But if one manage to listen past that, past the brush of wind in the trees and the distant noise a flock of birds might make, if one turn the audits in a new direction and focus really well, one might experience it. A perfect mix of a jingling bell and the low pitch of an earthquake, the breath of a fallen angel or the scream of a dying star - there is something infinitely lonesome about the sound of a snowflake crashing onto the ground, forever ceasing to exist as one become many and the singular is lost within the mass of singulars and become the plural most commonly referred to as 'snow'.

In comparison, the sound of hooves shuffling through snow in the midst of a snowstorm is easy to pick up, especially for one with such keen ears as Morir. He pick up on her approach well before she stops to speak, head rising in all its skull-masked glory to turn in her direction. Like a statue he stands, still and unmoving like a sculpture of blackened glass, cold and wary with muscles tense and banners whipping in the wind. He cannot see the person that approaches, but this doesn't mean that he cannot make assumptions, pass judgment and build expectations. It only becomes a process so much more complicated, as other senses have to make up for that which is lacking.

In a storm, you become even more limited.

Winter-thick pelt quiver nervously as a voice travel towards him, ripped and torn to pieces by the harsh gusts only to be salvaged and pieced together once more by rapidly clipping ears. A breath, sharp and thick erupt in a cloud of steam from finely chiseled nostrils, chest visibly expanding and retracting to accommodate oxygen within those massive lungs; for a moment he consider the comment, then lower the head ever so slightly to point those sharp thorns toward the speaker.

"I was, indeed" he agrees grimly, expression hard to read because of the deadly grin of the skull but that deep, dark voice stern and unwelcoming enough to make a point. Behind muscled flanks a long, silken tail thrash testily, as always expressing what the giant refrains from saying out loud.

State your business or leave.

BackgroundLabs.com

Hidden Account
Candy

The bitter cold nipped at my painted skin. Ice and snow clung to my silken fibers, as they would take their last moment to melt against what little warmth my skin radiated from my long run from the Sanctuary. Chilled, my body heat soon plummets, sweat freezing upon my skin, now blanketed in a soft shimmering sheet of ice and snow crystals. The elements were still harsh, and through it all I hadn’t forgotten that feeling in the pit of my stomach, the one that yearns for fulfillment. Lips parted as pink tongue kissed the plush muzzle of white, the thought of fresh greenery made my mouth water with excitement as I let my gaze fall from the stand-offish unicorn, and iced pools rested on the nourishment below the fluttering snow and ice.

I ignored his statement, and lift a single leg and plummet it against the snow. A smirk played upon my lips, as the pale masked blade carrier armed himself against me, weapons in the ready. I couldn’t help but to let a soft, sinister chuckle ripple from my lips. My pale dagger slams into the wet snow once again, drawing back and tearing into its once smooth appearance. Again, I repeated this motion until the brittle twigs of winter sprung forth, the dead weeds of last summer, what the autumn didn’t kill off. My eyes twinkled with a wondrous child-like tendency, as tiara lowered to the ground.

Lips scuffled against the white powder, parting to let pearl flats snap and rip upon the earth’s fleshy foliage. While I enjoyed my rather dry first course, I let my depths gaze back up to the obsidian stallion. His tone was obvious, that perhaps he didn’t want company. It was a shame really; I did like the company of those I could find of use, or just have a general conversation with. They were so complex, these stallions. The way they held their forms, their emotions and ager issues, it was something I alone would never be able to fully understand.

Elevating my head against the white falling snow, sorrel lobes fall to the sides to refrain from the winds grasp, hooves step with neutral caution as I decided to brush the face of danger with my lips. Standing to the side, and moving closer to the handsome beast, I once again found myself gazing upon his chiseled visage, masked in what would appear to be a skull. It was fitting, creepy but intriguing all the same. My muzzle of velvet plush extended to his shoulder, a huff of warm steam aiming to brush against his skin; though I dare not touch him. ”No need to be so tense” A simple statement fluid like water from a stream, chopped by the winter winds. ”May I know your name?” I questioned, I could play nice innocent girl for now.

@[Morir]
Normal Speech
Mother's Voice.
Response to mother.
Table coded by Abba

She ignored his unvoiced threat and remained there in the white freeze, a shape hazy and unclear as falling snow kept blurring the edge of all shapes. To him she was little more than a ghost, a vague idea - a knowledge of existence punctuated by blasts of scent, rich and pungent in stark contrast to the smells of ice and water and earth that surrounded him. He could hear her shuffle, a single ear tipping forth to catch the sound of hoof against snow, pounding and scraping and then the steady, rhythmic grind of teeth around fiber.

For a time he stood there, seething quietly as she dared to defy him. Erratic thoughts blew through the mind, of attack and pursuit, of violence actions propelling heavy flesh and silk-swept bones forward in a pursuit of pain and screams and salty, metallic blood dripping into pristine snow.... Then he pushed them aside and lowered the head with a sharp snort, dismissing the urge to expel energy in favor for the grass beneath his hooves. The head lowered, handsome bone-clad features disappearing behind walls of snow as if to shield himself from her presence.

Was it anger that kept him silent as he continued the arduous foraging for food? There certainly was a haughty chill to the indifference he displayed in this demonstrative ignoring of her presence, as if he could make her go away by not looking at her. Maybe it was equal parts awkwardness; why was she even there, this lady of snow and defiance, who's scent never quite died away from his nostrils? What could she want with this young barbarian, this naive heathen descended from the lands of never-ending night to mingle with demons and undead?
Morir didn't know what to say, and so he simply remained quiet. That is, until she forced him to break the silence, shattering it like a mirror along with his wishful illusion of solitude.

"Where I come from, it is polite to introduce oneself before demanding others to reveal their faces" he muttered around strands of died and dying grasses, without lifting the head. A brief shake of the horns betrayed some amount of exasperation though; this was the second... no third time others had tried to demand something from him without offering first. Who did these southerners think they were, to inquire about others all the time? Already it was growing tiring to force manners upon strangers, making further acquainting with the inhabitants of this Helovia seem utterly unpleasant.

BackgroundLabs.com

Hidden Account
Candy

I mused on the dullness of the blind stallion’s actions, his captivating matted fibers breaking way to the thoughtless account on his appearance. I stepped back from the onyx being, granting him the space he deserved, partially because I didn’t feel like taking a blow to the flesh should the stranger decide to push me away with other means. I did however continue to envy the weapons that he wielded, his unique structure, and his towering physique. It was a pity to see one so mangled and matted against the beauty of the alabaster snow. My twinkling jewel bounced upon my chest as I was startled to his deep snort, an obvious warning that I would need to heed, should I wish for some decent company in this unicorn.

You’re just wasting your time Morana, this mongrel is blind and useless to you. As much as I wanted to roll my eyes to my mother’s haunting statement, it held a hint of truth that I couldn’t really avoid. But what was the point now, if I just turned and walked away- the boy wouldn’t care if I moved away I was sure of that. No, perhaps he’s not so useless. I told her promptly within my ever grinding mind. I continued to watch him, digging upon the earth in almost desperation in awkward silence before his words shattered though the dead of winter.

It was true, the mention of my name I didn’t utter upon my lips to the stranger. It was out of habit, when I come from my name wasn’t one that many liked to hear. My apologies. My voice soft and smooth, pouring from my lips like cold sterling liquid. ”I am Morana, still new here and I haven’t grown custom to the ways of Helovia.” what I said had a hint of truth within, these lands were ever-changing, and I was still learning to adapt to the ways of this culture. To blend and mingle with the champions and peasants of this kingdom, to learn and understand their emotions, and this one was making it hard- his emotions were blank, but his energy was negative.

”I was just in search of company, I no not of many here.” I breathed, voice laced with innocent pitch as I turned a little and gazed upon the snow glazed horizon. ”If I’ve come at a bad time, maybe I should leave you be?” I questioned, a hoof shifting within the snows grasp. What are you doing? Just trust me for once. I wasn’t here to harm the being, as I really wasn’t sure what was running through his mind, or what he had done to anyone here. My code follows to only kill those of the dangerous type, those that have killed. And I know nothing of his past. The winter pulled upon my mane, whipping fibers wrapping around ivory hocks as my legs seemingly vanish into the snow.

If he asked me to stay, I wouldn’t hesitate for the company. But my legs were hankering to move away, should he wish for his privacy, although from what in this barren waste land, I would never know.

@[Morir]: OMG so sorry for the wait. <3
Normal Speech
Mother's Voice.
Response to mother.
Table coded by Abba

Finely chiseled audits clip sceptically when she fracture the silence; if there was relief reflecting upon dusky features they were too small to be seen, carefully masked by taciturn bones and mocking dead-man grin. A grunt is all he offers of acknowledgment as she apologize, carefully swallowing chastising words of lacking manners and the importance of proper conduct. The gargoyle is far from a poster boy when it come to such things - perhaps he should be more careful in hus judgment. He is young however, perhaps more so than the stern features and well-developed chassis would suggest, and while mature for his age there is still a good measure of youthful arrogance hiding behind hollow sockets, of undue pride and confidence more fit for a strider twice his age.

Perhaps another flaw is the tendency to forgive much too easily. Far from kind, the silver-backed dead-dancer contemplate the offer of solitude for some time, head rising into the force of cold winds with grinding jaws processing tasteless grasses in a never-ceasing hunt for nourishment. When he finally swallow and clear the maw to allow words room, it is with a shrug of swelling shoulders and impassive voice he deliver the verdict;

"Do as you wish."

Maybe it wasn't the passionate plead for company that she had wished for or expected. Perhaps the way the tall brute shifted stance, turning the side towards her and pawing the snow to expose a larger surface of dry vegetation was less than welcoming. But hey, at least he didn't charge at her, crown lowered and spears aimed blindly yet with lethal precision towards the chest, seeking to tear open skin, part flesh from bone and impale that crimson heart in thirst for death and disaster. It was something, at least, perhaps even a suggestion of progress.

Would it shock the painted mare to hear words come drifting on the wind, flat and indifferent even in their inquiring nature? Surely one such as he, dark and looming against the stormy sky, bone-clad and sinister, wouldn't care about a lone woman, unknown and unrelated with no ties neither of blood nor emotion... Yet came they did, a voice disembodied and fractured as the winter chill tried to tear it away, devour the bass tone queries and keep it from her - leaving them forever unanswered.

"Morir..." he was found replying, curtly. "You're... alone?"

BackgroundLabs.com

Hidden Account
Candy

He is rather vulnerable you know, he can’t see what you do, or when you’ll make a move. Lobes remained erect and pinned upon the skull faced creature. He was strange, hard to read, impossible to understand. But then again, perhaps I was the same, just a well crafted actress and liar. Do as you wish. His tone seemed blunt, bland and uncaring as my speech didn’t seem to do much good. Perhaps I was a little rusty on my damsel in distress act. I contemplated for a moment, torn between staying in the company of what appeared to be a homeless-man, or just be on my merry way and encounter others that might show the slightest interest in me.

Eyes narrowed against the harsh winter winds, glinting; what little light reflection that could muster from the snow. Strange one. Not sure why I’m still standing here, he means nothing to me. And yet I was compelled. Something had drawn me to you, like a pest to a light in the middle of nowhere, my hooves shuffled, and nostrils lowered to the soft powder as I lipped at the ice, crunching on it lazily in thought as I gazed upon his obsidian coat. Perhaps it’s as if I was ignoring the beast now, not that he’d know this. Shuffling away a little, a voice strikes my ears and I slowly raise my lips from the plastered ground. Nape curves and twists to better gaze upon this dark being, who uttered his name Morir. Oddly close to my own, a twisted smirk crossed my lips as I cleared my throat silently.

His question of if I was alone, was a little eerie, why did it matter if I was alone. A quick glance around the barren lands of rolling snow that surrounded us, my eyes glare returned back to the skull faced stallion. My facial expression would repeal the look of “Duh” but I said nothing of the sort. ”I am... have been for a while now.” My voice was kind, but laced with that hint of ‘What’s it to you?’ cockiness. It was true though, she had only met one other since her time here. Hector, and well.. Phoenix but he didn’t say much their time together. And the thought occurred to me, I didn’t really... have a home? My mind lingered on the fire-kissed stallion Hector, and his mentioning of the Dragons Throat. I would have to find this, Dragon-Keep, and seek out Hector and see if my company would be welcomed in a kingdom that from what he said was primarily made of Pegasus.

”Why do you ask?” I questioned softly, collecting myself and stepping to face the obsidian warrior. It would mean one of two things, he would find my solitary existence easy to intimidate, possibly attack, or he’ll think nothing of it- maybe just keep munching on that dead grass- maybe I should have just walked away. Probably. Zip it.

Tags: @[Morir]
Words: 686
oOc: <3
Normal Speech
Mother's Voice.
Response to mother.
Table coded by Abba

For some time after she gave her answer and posed a question in return, the black stallion pondered the situation thoughtfully. He had to admit himself surprised that she decided to linger. In his experience, not many found his lack of interest in communication so endearing that they chose his quiet company for their own merry solitude, and yet this mare had. He had to admit to himself that he didn't mind it as much as he was making her believe - even in a snowstorm, company was better than no company.

But his own question had surprised the young outcast, and now he was forced to come up with an answer on the spot. His intentions were clear as day, he wanted to help Confutatis in her endeavors and that meant gathering people for the new group - this Regime, which he had come to understand was lacking both in true power as well as numbers. Had he known that from the beginning... but done was done and he had given his word. It was too late for second thoughts now.

He suppressed a sigh and raised the crown into the wind, gazing blindly at the mare with wind-thrown tail coiling behind the legs. "If you desire company... No, never mind, forget I said anything." Morir shook his head and looked away, cursing his own crude language for its inability to phrase riddles and weave alluring invitations like she had done. It had been blunt, the way Confutatis just marched up to him and told him to follow her to glory, but through some small miracle it had been charming and interesting enough to make him tag along. The same could not be said for every horse out there however, and what should he do if this lady decided she wouldn't come along? Kill her because he'd let slip more than he should?

It was one hell of a predicament, and the stag had no idea how to proceed.

@[Morana]

BackgroundLabs.com