Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 hh :: 38 months
Alex

TARES
</style>
Do you wanna see how much I can take?   
Can't you just leave bad enough alone?
</style>

Whatever I have been expecting over these weary months, it has not been this. The pain of my lover's absence has worn me down and left me lost. Upon seeking shelter in this strange land I've made connections with no others than the tenuous one I established with Gossamer, and found myself in solitude the majority of the time. Arbutus is, in his infinite wisdom, my only company. And even still, there are times when he leaves my side with a whistling song to find my lover where she rests miles away. Try as I might to think of these times as reassuring, they only leave me more concerned. The wait for my companion to return leaves me feeling vulnerable, and at the same time fearful for the fate of my mate. And now, in the frigid dark of the long awaited first night of Orangemoon, I am awoken by a strange sensation and the realization that I am completely alone.

In a frenzy I pull myself up each time I fall, exiting the cave where I have found shelter and searching desperately in the night for the fiery form of my companion. But he has left me, flown off in anticipation to find Aure and bring her to the Foothills for the birth of her child. I feel an unimaginable pain flow through me and I can no longer maintain my position. With a heave, I fall to my knees and then, quickly, my side as I feel the pain that so many have warned me of, have experienced themselves.

In a moment I know that it is time, but in a fit of fear I find myself kicking out at the strange forested floor- the ground where sand should be, where my lover's hoof prints should intertwine with my own. I am at last going to give birth to our child, our darling colt, and I am utterly and completely alone. Terror that rushes through me expresses itself in sweat and a lashing tail, in a twisted neck and a vivid expression of agony.

The silence of the wood is broken by a piercing whinny that I can barely recognize as my own.

image by vinothchandar @ flickr.com</style>

Aure Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

She broke down and let me in, made me see where I've been

Soaring over the ground, I veered and dipped, touching down with ease. I galloped into the borders of the Windtossed Foothills, cream locks flying out behind me, nostrils flaring in determination. Neige’s tiny claws dug into my withers, her green eyes wide with fright from my sudden intensity, glancing up every so often at the fiery bird that flew directly above her. Arbutus had come, after much waiting, to announce the birth of our son. He was to bring me to my love, Tares, who I had not seen in so long. I ached for her yellow eyes so full of love for me and I whinnied with pride and joy as I streaked along to find my love. Neige growled fearfully on my wing, sinking her claws deeper and deeper until I finally halted just to shake her off a bit.

I was scolding Neige for hurting me, when a high-pitched whinny tore across through the air. My ears flicked back and forth for the sound, my gut immediately telling me it was my Tares, screaming from the pain our child was causing her. I pinpointed the sound and ran with a purpose, not feeling the pain in my withers from my little pup, not seeing Arbutus flying above me; the only thing I focused on was the path before me and the looming figure of a mare lying on the ground.

Storming closer, I saw my suspicions had been perfectly clear: my mate was in the throes of labor already, the pain forcing her to the ground, sprawled on her side. I was angry she had endured this alone, that at the least Arbutus could have been there. I streaked to her side, falling to my knees, and laying my nose across the back of her neck. The feel of her was electrifying, perfect, and something otherworldly to my body. I had missed her more than I thought possible, loved her more than I thought possible, feared for her more than I thought possible. She was everything I had and I knew I would be nothing, absolutely nothing, if I ever lost her. Neige crawled off my back, sitting sweetly on the ground beside Tares’ head, where her green eyes looked at her with interest and concern.

It was funny that my companion was at ease with my lover, as with every other we had encountered, her first action was a growling defensive pose. It was as if she knew that Tares would never harm me, knew how much we loved each other. She was a smart little fox and I would not put it past her knowledge. I breathed in the familiar scent of my mate and sighed a single sentence, unusual for my talkative nature. “Tares. At last.”

Tares Posts: 74
Deceased
Alex

TARES
</style>
</style>

What was once a deafening silence is suddenly filled with the sound of my own heartbeat. I feel as if I am drowning as the air around me seems to thicken and my vision swirls and ripples in a haze. My teeth clench shut as if holding in air and my eyes flutter at the sensation of being so strangely disconnected with myself, while my tail beats against the ground helplessly, the only outlet for my pain as I suffer in silence. My voice had died out quickly and I am left now feeling oppressed by the shadows of the forest as they fill my vision, and longing for nothing more than Aure by my side.

It is strange to feel her touch after so long, and at once I realize that I am in company. My lover and my closest friend gather beside me, accompanied by another creature I've never before seen. As much as I long to cry out, my voice cracks and my mind reels at the suggestion of speaking. My heart pounds and I hear it above all else, but the gentle motion of Aure's lips puts me at ease for a brief moment before the contractions begin again and I am left writhing and helpless.

The child comes in a heave and a wave of pain, emerging small and weak, with knobby knees characteristic of the young and brilliant wings that match his mother's. He is black as the night during which he is born, with eyes a brilliant yellow green that seem to reflect Aure's and my own. I feel elation, but not relief. My forelegs churn at the earth and I forget my joy as pain sweeps over my again.

Arbutus is at my side in moments, crying tears of perhaps joy at the birth and sadness for my pain, but they do little to soothe me now. Confusion mixed with instinct place a pressure on my chest and make it harder to breathe. Is there something else the God of the Earth failed to mention? I can't think, not of an answer, not of anything- I can't even speak until moments later, when the pain fades quickly and the form of another colt becomes clear in my fuzzy vision.

Twins, I realize with a sudden shock as I lie upon the foothills earth and watch with wonder my two children. The second colt has a dark coat of a flaxen chestnut and small, folded wings to match. Atop his head rests a scimitar like horn of obsidian, and his eyes open and reveal the same, beautiful shade of green. In that moment, as I gaze upon my children, I know nothing but love.

My sides heave still as I gasp for breath and at last relax the tense muscles bunching up across my form. Love and loyalty washes over my expression, and weakly I lift my neck to nuzzle the two colts and look to my lover. "Welcome to the world, little ones," I whisper weakly, watching Aure all the while, an endless love in my eyes.

[[Up to you if you want to post with Adoxa or Aure next- if you do Adoxa next I'll do Alisier after him?]]

Gossamer the Benevolent Posts: 47
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16hh :: 13
Illusion{Illu}
Gossamer arrived to stand on the outskirts of the two, nearby in case she was needed. Her eyes watch carefully the rising and falling of the mares sides. She has brought some native plants to ease the pain experienced after birthing. She waits until the first one is born, then, as the mare spasms again she sees that this is not afterbirth, but another life. A bright smile widens her face as she is here to witness yet another birthing of twins. The foothills were a lucky place indeed. First her own daughter and now this one as well. She gives the two mares...it really was odd to say that...their space as they bonded with their foals. What luck they would have, for the other mare could make milk too if she had to. It made her wonder if thing would be better if there were just mares to nurse and raise. haha, she laughs at herself, she was getting strange in her older age.

She looks at the mare questioningly, waiting for some sort of approval, before she goes forward and drops the herbs near the mares face. It would give her some relief from the pain. "They are both beautiful foals, what shall you name them?"

Aure Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

She broke down and let me in, made me see where I've been

My chest heaved in emotion, my eyes wide and fearful as Tares endured pain like no other for me, for us. I leaned closer to her head and whispered words of comfort and ‘I love you’ over and over, until before I knew it our son had been born. The young thing was impressively black, the same color coat as I, with a mane and tail to match, only the tail was exactly like my lover’s. His eyes were an unusual shade of brilliant yellow green, seemingly made from the two of us, our own personal color. Yes, these foals were truly ours. I sighed in relief, turning to look down at the happy face of my mate, only to see happiness under more excruciating pain. The smile slid off my face, wondering what on earth was wrong, why the pain had not stopped for my lover. I heard hoof beats behind me, and turn to see a majestic mare holding herbs that I figured would relieve the pain for my Tares. My green eyes wide with fear, I pleaded silently with her to help me. The mare just smiled, and looked quite surprised; I turned back to my love intending to help her myself, when I see her birthing yet another foal, a colt.

I stared in wonder at our twin sons, the second a flaxen-maned chestnut, exactly like my father. Huh, I wondered at the new memory. That’s what my father looked like. He had little folded wings against his side, with a black curved horn protruding from his forehead. When he opened his eyes, I saw they were the exact same shade as the first colt’s, beautiful and unique, completely our own. I looked at Tares, relief finally able to sweep over her, and lean down to press a kiss against her cheek, murmuring, “You were so strong my love. Thank you, for our two beautiful sons.” Neige peeked out from beside me, where she had been hiding for the duration of the birth. Her bright eyes looked wonderingly at the colts, again not frightened of them or defensive of me because she knew they were precious. The pup was wise beyond her years it seemed, as I watched her hesitantly approach my mate and touch her little black nose to Tares’. I laughed, forgetting my lover had not been there to meet my companion, the sweet little Arctic fox. “My love, this little pup is Neige. She found me while you were away and we are starting to create a bond like you have with Arbutus. And I think she likes you.” The pure white mare who had been present with the herbs asked what we would name our children. I looked questioningly at my love, wondering what she would like, wanting nothing but to please her. She was the most wonderful mate any could ever ask for, and my green eyes shone with love and admiration for her, our companions and our lovely sons.

Tares Posts: 74
Deceased
Alex

TARES
</style>
</style>

The relief that shines in my eyes seems to reflect in those of my lover's. I gaze into her bright green eyes and turn to see them mirror those of our sons. She thanks me and I merely turn my head away shyly. Surely she knows there is no reason to thank me for bearing the product of our love. Happily I nicker the children and nudge their hindquarters to get them to their feet- they cannot delay on the ground, even I have begun to lift myself despite the weakness that is running through my body in waves. Still, with each movement I make the pain dissipates and the stress upon my swollen belly seems to fade. Already I feel stronger and healthier. I know it will take quite a lot of pain in battle to trump this sensation.

The young chestnut struggles to stand upright on his light colored hooves, but with a gentle nudge I bring him to a shaky position. His legs spread and he looks awkward and gawky, but I know that in time he will grow to be a strong and beautiful stallion. A mother could not be more proud than I am now. Out of the corner of my eye I see a white creature, and recognize it as the fox that was present for the birth. In kindness I lower my head to greet it, and exhale heavily as I flare my nostrils to take in its scent. It touches my nose and I feel its own, cold black one send a light shiver through me. My ears swivel to listen as my mate tells me of the creature, and at the mention of his name, Arbutus perks up and flies up to land in the crook of my withers. Affectionately, he nudges the base of my neck with his flames sprouting and fluttering uncontrollably. I feel pride coming off of him in waves, just as it had from Aure when she'd first thanked me. "She's lovely," I speak, realizing suddenly that my voice is raspy and quiet from the strain.

As the last of the haze subsides I turn and realize that our little family is not alone. In our company stands Gossamer, a proud leader, who seems to be congratulating us. The kindness of strangers... it is a marvelous thing. I breathe in the scent of the herbs and exhale with relief- their scent alone is soothing. She asks the question that I've failed to even consider, but before I can turn to Aure and ask her to speak up, she is facing me with a look of dumbfoundedness in her eyes. I swallow to soothe the cracks in my throat and take a moment to breathe before speaking, but in some strange way, I already know what to say. I turn to look my darling in the eyes as my own brim with love and affection. "During our time apart, Aure, I was inconsolable; even Arbutus' playful ways did nothing to ease the pain of my loneliness," I say thoughtfully, turning my head to nuzzle the little firebird where he rests contentedly and dries his tears. "But if anything could remind me of the true reason for my departure, it was the flowers here. Always in bloom; bright and full of new life... they reminded me of the child stirring within me- our child," I continue, my explanation interrupted by the tender suckling of the chestnut child. I cannot help but smile- to be a mother... it is all I have ever wanted. "I... I think I would like to name our children after these flowers. Would that be alright with you, my love?" I turn once more to face Aure, love in my eyes, a desperate hope that she will approve.