Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 hh :: 38 months
Alex

TARES
</style>
Do you wanna see how much I can take?   
Can't you just leave bad enough alone?
</style>

The relief that shines in my eyes seems to reflect in those of my lover's. I gaze into her bright green eyes and turn to see them mirror those of our sons. She thanks me and I merely turn my head away shyly. Surely she knows there is no reason to thank me for bearing the product of our love. Happily I nicker the children and nudge their hindquarters to get them to their feet- they cannot delay on the ground, even I have begun to lift myself despite the weakness that is running through my body in waves. Still, with each movement I make the pain dissipates and the stress upon my swollen belly seems to fade. Already I feel stronger and healthier. I know it will take quite a lot of pain in battle to trump this sensation.

The young chestnut struggles to stand upright on his light colored hooves, but with a gentle nudge I bring him to a shaky position. His legs spread and he looks awkward and gawky, but I know that in time he will grow to be a strong and beautiful stallion. A mother could not be more proud than I am now. Out of the corner of my eye I see a white creature, and recognize it as the fox that was present for the birth. In kindness I lower my head to greet it, and exhale heavily as I flare my nostrils to take in its scent. It touches my nose and I feel its own, cold black one send a light shiver through me. My ears swivel to listen as my mate tells me of the creature, and at the mention of his name, Arbutus perks up and flies up to land in the crook of my withers. Affectionately, he nudges the base of my neck with his flames sprouting and fluttering uncontrollably. I feel pride coming off of him in waves, just as it had from Aure when she'd first thanked me. "She's lovely," I speak, realizing suddenly that my voice is raspy and quiet from the strain.

As the last of the haze subsides I turn and realize that our little family is not alone. In our company stands Gossamer, a proud leader, who seems to be congratulating us. The kindness of strangers... it is a marvelous thing. I breathe in the scent of the herbs and exhale with relief- their scent alone is soothing. She asks the question that I've failed to even consider, but before I can turn to Aure and ask her to speak up, she is facing me with a look of dumbfoundedness in her eyes. I swallow to soothe the cracks in my throat and take a moment to breathe before speaking, but in some strange way, I already know what to say. I turn to look my darling in the eyes as my own brim with love and affection. "During our time apart, Aure, I was inconsolable; even Arbutus' playful ways did nothing to ease the pain of my loneliness," I say thoughtfully, turning my head to nuzzle the little firebird where he rests contentedly and dries his tears. "But if anything could remind me of the true reason for my departure, it was the flowers here. Always in bloom; bright and full of new life... they reminded me of the child stirring within me- our child," I continue, my explanation interrupted by the tender suckling of the chestnut child. I cannot help but smile- to be a mother... it is all I have ever wanted. "I... I think I would like to name our children after these flowers. Would that be alright with you, my love?" I turn once more to face Aure, love in my eyes, a desperate hope that she will approve.

image by vinothchandar @ flickr.com</style>

Messages In This Thread
Alone [Birth] [Aure, Open] - by Tares - 08-16-2012, 09:31 PM
RE: Alone [Birth] [Aure, Open] - by Aure - 08-16-2012, 10:24 PM
RE: Alone [Birth] [Aure, Open] - by Tares - 08-16-2012, 11:07 PM
RE: Alone [Birth] [Aure, Open] - by Gossamer - 08-17-2012, 12:28 AM
RE: Alone [Birth] [Aure, Open] - by Aure - 08-18-2012, 07:06 PM
RE: Alone [Birth] [Aure, Open] - by Tares - 08-23-2012, 11:06 PM