the Rift

[PRIVATE] It's a Thief in the Night

Morir Posts: 79
Up For Adoption atk: 4.5 | def: 6.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 4 HP: 54 | Buff: NOVICE
Arwydd :: Raven :: None Adoptable

It had been surprisingly simple. A difficult task made easy by... what? Hidden talents perhaps, or the gullibility of a gentle dove, trusting and naive in a world where wolves roamed freely. Guilt of betraying such honest trust mingled with the triumph of victory as Morir led the way through trees and thickets, over the frozen seam a creek drew through the landscape and on towards a hidden glen, a forgotten place now invaded by revolutionists and rebels, guerrilla soldiers and mercenaries. There, once the toxic scent of the wasp queen, the uncrowned empress of the world reached his nostrils he rounded upon the blue-eyed fae with a slightly apologetic look on the face, keeping her distracted while Confutatis moved in to cut off the escape route.

"Sorry" he drawled, voice dark and rich and noxious, sickly sweet like a mouthful of spoiled honey. "I don't really have a little brother, and of course he's not stuck in the ice either. I do believe, however, that my dear sister here would very much like to meet you..."

Perhaps it was a good thing that he couldn't see. He wouldn't have to live with the sight of expressions altering, disappointment creeping over pretty features while something was extinguished in dazzling eyes, never to fully return. He could only imagine what she might look like, what kind of face she was making as the reality of the situation dawned on her, when this sweet, kind, nice mare realized that she had been tricked.

Was he sorry? Did he regret his actions, wish to take them back, turn on the poisonous lady he had promised to follow and help this innocent valkyrie escape? Maybe a little. But whatever impulse he might have felt was soon pushed to the back of the mind, hidden away and ignored in favor of the sweet, sweet sensation that success brought. It buzzed in his head, pounded hot and enthralling through the veins and made his groin ache and swell - a sensation unlike any he had felt before. Was this power? Was this dominance? If this was what Confutatis had been talking about, promised him in whispered riddles and half-truths, then there was no way he would stand up on it. It was simply too sweet a drug to resist...

ooc: Basically, Morir lured Nyx along by asking her to help him save his 'little brother stuck in the ice'.
Permission received to powerplay Confutatis.
@[Nyx], @[Confutatis]
What if I say I will never surrender?

BackgroundLabs.com

♦ Please tag Morir in all replies! 

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow

She was rapidly beginning to think that following strange blind stallions really wasn't a good idea.

Help my little brother, he said. Nyx was a benevolent soul, and helping a poor defenceless ice-trapped colt was precisely the sort of thing she would do - it was a pity that every single sign was yelling trap! at her. She was walking through a spooky-ass forest, following a spooky-ass unicorn, with spooky-ass chills going down her spine - she was entitled to feel uneasy. On her back, Dominus growled, a steady, rumbling sound; she could feel his infantile displeasure at the situation, and his long tail was lashing against her shoulders as he sat curled between the blades. He was a couple of weeks old now and still small enough to nestle in the place he had chosen when he was a hatchling, with black strands of Nyx's mane covering him like a blanket. His intelligent blue eyes poked out from beneath, narrowed and wary as he bobbed with the movement of her body.

But, as they moved through the thicket, the fact it was a trap became more and more apparent. When the stallion spoke, Nyx really wasn't surprised - she just released a groan at her own naiivety, and the fact she was so damn gullible. "That's just peachy," she murmured, tail slapping her flanks as she narrowed her eyes at the blind stallion. Dominus' growls increased in volume until he was like a piece of garden equipment snarling away between her shoulders, and she had to prod him with her mind to get him to shut up and stop distracting her - he clambered up her neck, sharp claws digging into her flesh, and sat between her ears to glower disdainfully down at Morir. As he spoke of his sister, the silver soldier's skull snapped around to focus on the ominous-looking black mare, with such force the lion cub had to grapple Nyx's ears to keep his balance. She was surrounded, with no means of escape. Wonderful.

The silver mare levelled her frigid gaze between the two of them, glancing between them. Her unease levels continued to rise, and she was painfully aware of her young companion nestled on her head - she was like a mother bear over him, fiercely protective and adoring. She had gone from loathing the idea of a mental bond to adoring it, and the fluffy white cub that had befriended her - the idea of him getting hurt was agony to her. "Go", she tried to tell him - he couldn't answer, but seemed to understand her words. He send her a sharp mental rebuke, letting her know that he was not going to abandon her. With a disgusted grunt, the woman looked back to her captors. "So...have you just stolen me for my delightful company, or do you have far more gruesomely painful intentions in mind?" She quirked a brow, outwardly fearless and almost indifferent, but inwardly feeling her heart flutter like a dying bird.

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

Confutatis the World Eater Posts: 179
Hidden Account atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2hh :: 9 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Mongrel :: Common Kitsune :: Dark Illusions wanda
Mongrel's mind is a tidal wive beating against her harsh onyx sand shores. It sings, a sweet, cruel symphony, of wicked sins; of lust and wrath, envy and vanity, a haunting background to her whirring thoughts, which are circling around plans and formulations and the future. That distant present is so close she can taste the grime and salt of blood on her tongue- and yet so far, so intangible, elusive, always slipping through her fingertips. Patience, she croons to herself and the fractured panes of her ideas; with patience, all will fall into place, crowns and kingdoms and slaves, all hers (and Tyradon's, of course, but she is a selfish girl on occasion.)

The light sparkles, a kaleidoscope of red and girl, orange and blue, glistening on her charcoal skin and skull-marked face. She is set apart, always, to be a queen, not a commoner, a ruler, not a follower.
In silence she awaits.

Mongrel slithers from the demon daughter's hooves, oil sliding over silver snow. Her half-blinded eyes flicker close, as she lets herself nestle in the impenetrable depths of his cranium, tracing the yako's path as he moves, unseen, by the river-banks of the wide rapids foaming their way through the center of the meadow. From a distance, the kitsune hardly draws attention; just a little slip of a fox, knotting and writhing tail hardly visible. Today he is the watcher, amber and scarlet eyes fixated on the distant approach of two individuals. One unicorn she recognizes through the distorted images she perceives from her bonded. Morir, soot and threads of winding white, a deer's skull hooding his features. The other is pale, white as bone but for midnight legs and shadowed muscle, electric eyes and ebony crown.

The air is bitter cold in her lungs.
The girl has a white lion perched on her head.
Companions are always a weak spot, even in the strongest of hearts.

Her head twitches back and forth between them- she is uncertain, and for that Confutatis cannot blame her. They are strangers in a strange land, feral-eyed beasts hemming her in, death and misfortune encroaching on virgin white. Ears flick, fetid lips curl into an unfortunately sinister smile (despite her best intentions), eyelids sweep down across heterochromic eyes. "Death not take you," she states calmly, "My intent was not- and is not- to bare my teeth, but sheep are often afraid to approach a wolf, even if it is alone." Nostrils cusp wide to drink in the mare's scent; she smells of electricity and ice. "I am Confutatis."

Move from the entrance she does not, but she eases onto three legs, cocking a hindleg beneath her, picture of insolent innocence, provided innocence is a child who just pulled the wings off a fly. "Are you interested in gruesomely painful interactions? Since I can arrange it, if you would like."

Join the Regime.

Omg so sorry for the wait, please punch me if I ever take this long again!

Subtly, the mare found herself searching for an escape route, a bolthole - but she could see none. She was completely surrounded, penned in like a prey animal courted by predators. It was a disconcerting feeling, and the mare's tail swished anxiously as she glanced between her captors. Dominus continued to growl, his claws ejected from their sheaths and pressed into the fur between her ears as his pale gaze followed Nyx's own, his pinlike teeth bared. In a few months, his growl and teeth-baring would be intimidating - right now, it probably looked more cute than threatening, especially when he fluffed himself up so he looked like a furry snowball.

The mare's smile did little to ease the soldier's nerves - it looked as though she was trying to decide what Nyx would taste like on a sandwich. She introduced herself as Confutatis, and for politeness' sake the dove dipped her head in a nod of greeting, almost tipping her companion down her skull. "I'm Nyx, this is Dominus." She gestured upwards with her eyes to indicate the lion cub, who ceased his growling for a moment to warily eye the other female. "This sheep is definitely not one to approach a wolf - but, evidently this sheep is also quite dumb and gullible. My brother's stuck in ice, my ass." She huffed and looked accusingly over at Morir, before returning her attention to the skull-faced mare. "And no, I'm not a huge fan of gore - I would, however, like to know why you two have lured me here." She looked almost scolding, like an irritated mother hen annoyed that she had fallen for the prank of a child.

The woman dips her crown in greeting (how polite) and the Skullface's eyes follow the sword, obsidian steel and charcoal; what would Tyradon think of the unicorn mare? All of those she ever found seemed to be crowned with a dagger on their head; what would he thinks of that? Fortunately, it did not matter. As long as the racist king kept his beliefs of inferiority to himself, all would be well. Eventually, he would begin to realize the flaws in his corrupt logic, or so she hoped.
Instead of bowing her head in turn, Confutatis' gaze remains fixated on the grey, never straying; cold eyes, yellow eyes, wolfish eyes.

Despite this lack of courtesy, the demon daughter is surprisingly polite when she speaks, her cracked and decaying voice lacking in kindness but not in detached civility. "It is... intriguing to meet you," the hellion murmurs, her voice a jaded things of sinister and slightly macabre intent. She is unwilling to say of what the greeting is- she hardly knows the mare after all, and only exchanged words will tell them if this meeting will be 'good'. While she pauses to clear her throat of dripping acid and poisonous saliva, her gaze roves to the companion Nyx introduces; a white felid, scruffy-maned and pale-eyed. "It is good to meet you, Dominus," she declares, a little bit louder; she remembers well how far addressing the companion itself can go in a world where the horses are considered the dominant compatriot. What a lie that is, she muses, thinking of her own volatile yako.

The dove named Nyx switches from Confutatis to Morir with a huff and puff, and the wolf's sardonic smiles becomes intrinsically more sincere, albeit in a way that suggests she is laughing inwardly at their captive. "I'm not sure if you're a sheep," she says, her ears giving a slight twitch. "I think you are more of a lion, rather like Dominus."

The demon daughter rocks onto her forehand, cocking a hind hoof beneath her, haunches slanting heavily to the left. Yet only an idiot would take it for true relaxation, because there is still something predatory in her stony face, a clever look that sets the hair on the back of your neck tingling.

"To fight for family- our family- for families to fight those unworthy of their kingdoms, their crowns, and their homes."

Join the Regime.

A smile tugged almost playfully at the corners of his mouth, amused rather than sinister or grim as he sensed the eyes of the mares upon him. Morir didn't apologize again; what good would it do? If the captured dove wanted to blame him for her current predicament then she was welcome to do so, it didn't bother him to be faced with wrath or scorn.

However, as his silver-tongued sovereign started weaving riddles and half-truths in response to a fair question the beast stirred restlessly, heavy masked head tossing back with ragged black banners whipping around the face.

"Don't be so cryptic, Confutatis" he admonished impatiently and shifted the stance to appear slightly more relaxed - without for that sake letting Nyx think she had a way of escaping. She wouldn't be going anywhere until they were finished talking to her.

"We simply want to speak with you" he continue, massive neck turning to face the silver doe with blinded eyes staring at her from empty sockets. "Perhaps I was wrong in assuming that you wouldn't linger to let us finish, had I approached you any other way? Rest assured that you will not come to harm here; the only thing we will take from you is a piece of your time."

Almost casually the tall, powerfully built youngster settled in beneath the ancient rotunda by which they stood, tasseled tail curling lazily around a black leg like a furred snake. He looked comfortable where he stood, a disembodied shadow lingering much too sharp and solid in the light of day. Did she fear what she saw, should the fae turn to gaze upon the masked beast, draped in darkness and death? Normally it would have been a good response, but today he had sheathed his blades, tucked away claws and fangs and lingered as little more than a young stallion, slightly too sure of himself and rather curious about this pretty bird he had managed to catch.

"My name is Morir. I hail from the northern moors, a good few weeks march to the east and north of here. Confutatis here was kind enough to offer me companionship when I came upon this land, and shelter against the walking dead who roamed the landscape."

"Won't you tell us about yourself, Nyx? I'm afraid I cannot see you as well as I should like, nor can I say I perceive your friend... was it Dominous? Perhaps I can persuade you to describe him for me..."

Was it kindness that reflected from that smooth dark voice, or just honeyed barbs, sweetened to contrast against the venomous riddles offered from the cracked lips of the dark mare? At any rate Morir came off as rather conversational when he spoke. There was honest interest resting on those features visible beneath the pallid death-mask, and with the way he seemed to relax it was growing clear that he had all day at his disposal.

BackgroundLabs.com

The demon mare's gaze was disconcerting, and Nyx's usual hatred of eye contact meant her frigid blue irises darted around somewhere near Confutatis' hooves, occasionally flickering up towards her chest. Intriguing, she said, and the silver soldier's sense of unease only increased. Why me? she kept asking herself. She wasn't anything special - she was just your common-or-garden unicorn mare, with a decent amount of fighting ability and a tongue as sharp as a tack, the same as half the residents of Helovia. There was so many far better prospects to steal - had it simply been a case of her being in the wrong place at the wrong time? Or had she been sought out, scouted, to be indoctrinated into whatever dastardly deeds this pair had planned?

The other addressed Dominus, something that took Nyx by surprise - she hadn't met many others since finding her companion, but she hadn't expected any to consider the white lion as a true living being. The cub fluffed himself up even more, the tip of his fluffy tail tickling Nyx's eyebrow and making it twitch. Then came a compliment, comparing the silver dove to her leonine companion - perhaps there was some logic there, as after all Dominus must have seen something of the lioness in her to 'choose' her from his egg. "I'll take that as a compliment,"she murmued, before falling silent to await a proper explanation - so far all she had received was some clever exhanges with the demon-skulled wordsmith, nothing of substance, nothing to explain why she had been lured here under false pretences. She talked of family, then, and the girl's ears visibly pricked, interest piqued. "And who, pray tell, do you see as unworthy of their crowns?" From what she had gathered, the herds were just finding their feet again after the long exile in the caves. Nyx had been on her way to see if the World's Edge would take her back in when she had met Morir, the blind weirdo and his worryingly good lies.

The stallion himself spoke, then, and Nyx's attention shifted to him. She felt able to meet his eyes, or, rather, the place where his eyes should be - after all, he couldn't see her, to accuse her of staring like a predator. Simply want to speak with you, he said, and the woman resisted the urge to huff. "Generally, when someone wants to talk to you, they come up to you and talk - they don't lure you into a creepy-ass forest under the pretence of a trapped sibling." Her words were sharp as ever, icy gaze narrowing warily. But then he explained, saying that she likely wouldn't have heard them out had he gone about it a different way - perhaps he was right, but they'd never know.

The blind man looked awfully chilled, but Nyx supposed he had little reason not to be - he couldn't see, after all, if she was about to lunge at him and shove her horn so far up his backside it tore his throat. It must be difficult, to cope without sight; to not be able to pick up on all the tiny body-language signals that make up the equine language. He introduced himself as Morir, and explained that Confutatis had taken him in - how kind of her, Nyx thought sardonically to herself, noting the 'good cop, bad cop' routine the pair seemed to have down to a T. Still he didn't offer an adequate explanation about why she was here, instead asking about herself. "Would it make any difference if I told you I was nineteen hands tall and bonded to a ten-foot lion?" she innocently asked, just because she could. But then her expression turned serious, and she sighed. "I'm a unicorn, I come from Isilme, where my parents were the infamous Querida the LightningQueen and Nato, leaders of one of the herds there. I like long walks on the beach and copious amounts of grass." Without meaning to, she had resorted to her oldest tactic of using humour as a defence mechanism, and couldn't help but chuckle to herself once she realised what she was doing. "Dominus is a white lion cub, a couple of weeks old, and he says hello." She judged as much from her bonded's mental images, despite the fact he could not communicate in words.

Retreating a step so she could look at both her captors with only the minimal amount of head movement, Nyx spoke again - two simple, curious words. "Why me?" Of everyone in Helovia, why me?

The greeting to the companion served well, as she hoped it would; the little lion's chest puffed out proudly, and one side of her mouth curls into a lean, feral smile; she did love companions, with their unpredictable and yet so understandable natures. To some degree, all- or almost all- were ignored; not necessarily by their compatriots, but by those their companions called friends or family, even enemies. For that, she pitied them to a certain degree, being well-accustomed to the want of attention, to be overlooked and written off by the populace. Yet she, she learned from those experiences, fought harder and ever more bitterly for leadership, for her tyrannies, determined to be renowned, to become legend for her deeds. Companions had no choice; they were tied and bonded to their unyielding compatriots, doomed to be forever Nyx's companion, Tyradon's companion, Confutatis' companion, never the other way around.

The demon daughter's ear gives a twitch but there is nothing to draw her attention outloud; no, it is in her head, the waves of scorn lustily running aground on her shores, pissy tides of arrogance and annoyance- her mongrel, screaming in her thoughts, demanding audience, snarling and snapping at her to give him attention he deserves if she thinks so.
As always, the bitch ignores him (hypocrite.)

Nyx accepts the compliment with enough courtesy, and Confutatis' smile slithers from her lips. It leaves her looking, somehow, far less sinister than before, far more normal; before her muzzle was all foam and dripping acid, enough to make her look rabid, but now she was simply a mare (an intimidating bitch, but still just a mare.) The virgin goes quiet, perhaps waiting for better explanations, more detailed descriptors of what will be expected of her; but the wolf does not bother giving life to the seething mass of thoughts her mongrel chews on, not daring to let plans and plots go freely to a captive.

No, she will answer to some modicum. "Those who do not fight for it with tooth and nail,"the wolf answers, and her voice is neither condemning nor arrogant, cruel or kind; it is empty, devoid of emotion, but filled with conviction. "Leaders should not just be able to coerce and diplomat their way into power; they should have split their own blood a thousand times over for their family and friends before they deserve what they want, proven themselves beyond a shred of doubt. Would you not agree with that, lioness and lion?"

Her bird admonishes her, reprimands her formerly undecipherable and coded tongue; outwardly, her demeanor is unchanged but for the slightest shift of an audit, but inside her sin-black skin she is angry. How dare he? The wolf took him in, let him flourish into what he was meant to be, and he repays her by back-talking like the snide little cunt he is. Was it all for nothing? Has he so easily forgotten she saved him for the dying and the undead, for the disease and corruption that ran rampant through the land? Men; young men, with their big mouths, shitting where they can only for others to wipe it up- fucking boys, she abhorred their weakness for tender flesh, for the hips of a woman beneath them, the hardness of their loins when they grew hungry for harlots and whores.

Confutatis' ears slant back, and she lifts her head, challengingly so, shifting her weight back to all fours; for a long moment she lets her yellow eyes cut at his brindled skin while he chatters on amiably. A snort escapes her, a breath of air hardly audible but meant to undermine his courtesy and politeness. What use was a mare if she was convinced that the Regime was a pretty band of wandering jesters? Yet as he waltzes on with his glib tongue, she does not make any other remark. Horses will believe what they want to be believe.

Conversation turns to descriptors and origins.
Nyx does not seem to tolerate Morir's silence.

Would it make any difference if I told you I was nineteen hands tall and bonded to a ten-foot lion? The wolf laughs; it is a rancorous and wild thing, vaguely eerie and vaguely sinister, but there is no doubting the sincerity in it. Perhaps her heart has lightened, being surrounded by beating hearts and blood not running black; or perhaps she is simply learning, and she will be all the more dangerous, all the more deadly for it. "No," she smirks, lips baring into a wild grin. "Men think they are always the biggest, always the strongest."

Ears tilt and listen as Nyx continues on, speaking of Lightning Queens and a land called Isilme. She tenses, ever so slightly; the names sound faintly familiar, but more importantly, surely the virgin mare will recognize her own sire's name. "I too am from Isilme," the wolf growls, her voice rusted and scratched. "Daughter of Oblivion the Demon King and Mortalis, whose father was Morgue the Womanizer."

She lapses into silence, not speaking again until required.
Why me?

"Why not, lioness? Lions are strong, able-bodied warriors- in your case, descended from royal blood- and more than capable at working alongside wolves and coyotes, foxes and bears, fighting for a worthy cause to give the throne and crowns to those who deserve it."

"With us, there will be no lack of wars to fight, rulers to overthrow, and family to find."

Join the Regime.

"Have you ever considered what it would be like, standing on the front lines for once?" the deadly stag chimed in, picking up the thread where Confutatis dropped it - choosing to ignore the mocking words of the vixen for the time being. It would not do to give away the irritation that broiled within his chest as she chided him, sarcastically admonishing him for being the stallion that he was. He quite remembered a time when this black-hearted bitch had groaned and relaxed under his grinding teeth, willing enough to accept the touch of his inked lips... It was clear that the uncrowned queen had chosen to forget that.

"Wouldn't you like to choose your own path, Nyx Lionkin? Lead, not follow, rule instead of being ruled... To decide for yourself when to stay and where to go, who to love and when to bleed in defense of your dreams." There was a sudden fire in the tone of his voice that clearly wasn't fabricated, and as he spoke the head of the stag raised high, blind eyes staring wildly into some distant past where all of these things had been denied him.

Without consulting the pale faced witch the hellion took a step aside, then another; clearly offering the gray dove a chance to leave, if she so wished.

"We dream big, my lady" he said and offered her a grin, wild and greedy and so excited that the tall, dark and looming shadow suddenly seemed little more than the young boy he truly was. "Big dreams require plenty of dreamers if they are to come true... How about it? Would you like to dream with us?"

BackgroundLabs.com

Perhaps it was wrong, but for some reason Nyx found herself agreeing with what the mare was saying. Those who wore crowns should fight for them tooth and nail, hoof and heart - they should be willing to bleed for their empires, lest they were unfit to rule. Yet the soldier had never considered doing anything about it; she simply accepted that there were good leaders in the world, and poor ones. "Oh, I agree," she said, with the smallest dip of her head. Being called a lioness did wonders for her confidence, too, and she found herself almost preening at the compliment.

She sensed some trouble in paradise, though, a brewing tension between the blind man and the acid woman; Nyx remained silent, gaze darting between each of them as Confutatis drew herself up to her full height to glower at Morir. With the imminent threat of attack now seeming to be out of the way, Dominus released a huff of boredom and shimmied down his bonded's neck to curl up in the crook of her shoulders, tucking his nose into his tail and promptly falling asleep. Typical little boy - no interest in politics when there was no bloodletting involved. It was hard for Nyx to constantly remind herself that her lion was a mere cub, a few weeks old; he couldn't be expected to follow her conversations religiously, not yet, anyway. Men think they are always the biggest, always the strongest, pointed out the other mare, and Nyx's muzzle twitched in a momentary grin. Oh, yes - stallions had an uncanny knack to turn any conversation into a pissing contest. It was how they were made, to rule and dominate, to lord it over women and weaker men alike.

Her features twisted to shock as Confutatis revealed she, too, was from Isilme - and that she was a daughter of Oblivion, no less. Her mother had told her tales of the skull-faced killer, although Nyx had always been hardpressed to see if she spoke out of hatred or envy. "He used to rule the Woodlands, the same as my parents did," remarked the thunder girl, internally tittering at what a small world it was, and also how amusing it was that she could stand and make smalltalk with a woman who had kidnapped her. Confutatis had a knack for public speaking, she'd give her that - her words motivated the iron lady, made her want to storm into battle with sword raised and beast at her side, to conquer and own. She was usually more of an accidental warrior than an intentional one, but something about what this mare was saying appealed to her. Morir chimed in, then, and a small hum escaped the dove's mouth as she pondered over their points. She could certainly use a little excitement in her life, a cause to fight for, instead of wondering around aimlessly. Perhaps this could inspire her, give her a reason to ply her trade of war instead of simple boredom.

Now, she just needed a dotted line to sign.

"You two can be very persuasive, you know," she remarked with a small note of amusement in her voice. Her eyes momentarily widened as Morir stepped aside, exposing an opening - an out. She could leave now, turn her back on these two and go back to her mundane life of munching grass and trying to rise through the World' Edge ranks - or she could be something, fight for a cause. There could only be one decision, really, and with a final glance between the pair of them, she nodded. "Very well, then. I'm in." Just like that, she'd signed a deal with the devil - had to be more fun than her current life, anyway. "I have no aspirations to lead - I'm a soldier, not a queen. But at least you don't have to worry about me trying to snatch your crown, so, you know, every cloud and all that." She allowed herself a small snort. "So, to clarify - you go around usurping leaders you see as unworthy and replacing them with yourselves?" Nice one, Nyx, signing up for something you know next to nothing about. "Oh, another thing. I am - or was - a member of the World's Edge, and I consider a lot of that herd to be my friends. I won't harm them, not without good reason." She felt a spasm in her chest as she thought of her father - what the hell would he think of her, joining a gang of mercinaries with aspirations of grandeur? And Lace, her old friend - even the leaders, who had welcomed her so easily. She would not betray them - she was not that sort of woman.

The tension slithers and slips from the meet-and-greet, and it's rather a surprise. She had not been expecting this turn of events, a shift in allegiances to her favor; perhaps she was, at long last, beginning to learn the art of persuasion she had so long put claim to. It was a pleasant sensation, a blossoming sense of wondrous satisfaction- she seemed to be doing something right rather than wrong, putting her slippery tongue to work. Such was a balm to the nerves that stirred and sat within the cage of her ribs; a concoction of weak notions and mundane fears that Confutatis so often tucked away, refusing to fall prey to mortal whims and... fears, terrors of which she so abhorred but were there nonetheless; not fears of the living, but of failure, her cause being doomed, of her being thwarted yet again.

The wolf notes the gentle swell to the white mare's chest, the swooping lines re-arranging to convey patterns of confidence; with every "lion" spoken verbally the unicorn seems to flourish, and the skull-faced harlot let her do that, pretending that she had knowingly caused this change in the former enemy.

Her crow king, cadaverous with his gaunt face and winter-thin form, steps aside, proffering an escape route; as Nyx's eyes dart towards it, Confutatis unwillingly tenses, teeth grinding down together for a split second. Strange as it might be, she did not want this mare to go. They shared a past, a history entrenched in Isilme, and the bloodline of powerful rulers; better this unicorn lordling than some mongrel bitch dug out by Tyradon, simply because she was lacking in a horn or other such apparel the racist so despised. And yet, even more curiously- the virgin mare did not leave, did not slip through the exit, did not become another target for turning down the regime and it's ruler. No, instead, she accepted... on a condition, with a but, with a question.

"Those with half a heart turn craven in battle," the warmblood decrees, narrowing her eyes. "Bring your family into ours. No shredded bonds, no ruined dreams- but traitors will not be tolerated. Make sure they understand our purpose, and emphasize."

Join the Regime.