the Rift

[OPEN] A Future As Uncertain As The Past

Sonya Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
A shadow flickered along the ground irregularly, as the mare it mimicked pranced all over the grassy path she followed. Her nostrils were flared and her ears were pinned back against her cranium, reacting to the stress she felt. It started in her withers, tightening the muscles there before spreading its way along her back. Her movements were not as fluid as they once were, but rather jerky instead. They resembled a machine that needed oiling. But then, the mare had a good reason for it because she was no longer the mare that she was when she had left because her amnesia was not blanketing her history as thoroughly as it did before. That voice. That image. It had sent her running away from everything, her vision so clouded she did not know where she ended up. Lost, it had taken every ounce of will power that she possessed to find her way back to familiar territory. Only things had changed. The Marsh was gone, and she had no idea where her adoptive family was, where Seele was or if she would be accepted back. It scared her greatly because being alone terrified her. Just thinking about what had sent her running was enough to make the mare put on a burst of speed, powering up a small incline in spite of her weary body. If the silver femme was not welcomed here, she did not know where she would go, where she would be safe. The mare had tried to suppress this thought as she travelled, but there was no denying that it was a possibility. Eventually, however, the frightened young lass had picked up a few familiar scents and followed them to this region of Helovia. Hidden Falls. The name was vague to her, but then so many things were. Now she was here, she had to keep going to find out if she still belonged.

After a few more strides of a slightly chaotic canter, Sonya launched into a standstill. Turning her head she looked behind her, dark eyes absorbing every detail as far as possible. She couldn't see anything... But to be on the safe side she inhaled deeply through her nose. Nothing to smell either. Still, the mare was not fully reassured. Picking her hooves up she kept going, hoping to catch sight of a friendly figure. Suddenly, the path seemed to stop. Before her lay a mess of rocks, which the ghostly fae had no idea how to climb. Turning course reluctantly, she found her way walking ever closer to a pool of water. It looked refreshing, what with the sun gleaming down upon it, and the spectrum of colours dancing nearby drew the mare in hypnotically. What was that? It rung a bell, that strange arch of hues. It niggled away at her mind. There was something about it that felt, well, homely in an emotional sense. Frowning at it, she jogged skittishly to the edge of the pool and lowered her head to take a quick drink.She had been so parched these past hours that she gulped down mouthfuls of the cool water without any hesitation. Lifting her muzzle from the water, she sighed contently and just enjoyed the sensation of water droplets running off her maw, down her neck. It felt so glorious at this moment in time, revitalising even. With a soothed throat, the female released a moderately loud whinny, although it certainly lacked confidence. Someone would have to find her because she did not know anything about the layout of this land. She couldn't even tell you where the border was. And a meeting with someone here would be her only hope of knowing if this was the place for her.
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

MIDAS
Nothing to lose but everything to gain
Another visitor came to my home, she lingering at the entrance. Obviously sensing that there was something beyond the rocks and bramble—yet the young lass was painfully unable to crest the secret doorway into this hidden paradise. I watched from the topmost portion of the mountain, balancing precariously upon a ledge that had better suited mountain hinds. Eyes stared curiously, interested to see her try and mount the hills alone. Yet the dappled lass did not brave the slippery slopes, instead she buried her muzzle into water, drinking deeply and with lingering fatigue. Earnestly that same dripping muzzle swung high, this time a pitched cry emitting forth. Pleading for an explanation or audience.

It would be rude to keep this lady waiting. Ivory feathers spread free from their sheath, I leapt from my perch, caught the wind and soared down in tight spirals. “Hail!” vocals thundered, profound in their richness and depth. A tight grin stretched windblown lips apart until a glimpse of teeth could be witnessed. I settled a few feet from where she stood, keeping my gaze cinched tightly upon this taller stranger. “Good day and well met, what brings ye to the base of Hidden Falls?” crown was allowed to slump forward for a mere moment, a dip of forwarded respect. Patched mane cascaded around my shoulders and slipped to fall across my face. Wings sealed themselves tightly against my barrel.
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Unregistered
It seemed that an agonising few moments were to pass in silence, and the mare could feel, perhaps prematurely, that her endeavour would be met only with failure. Nothing met her reply and she could almost feel her brown eyes dim further, her head droop a little more because this had been her last shot. In the process of considering turning away, the young mare felt a chill travel down her spine of an unnatural sort, the way one feels when a predator is observing them. Her ears laced back apprehensively, eyes scanning the grounds around her. There was nothing to see behind the rocks or in nearby waters, yet the feeling would not go. Then the voice thundered loudly above her.

Her legs scrambled backwards chaotically as she half reared upward, eyes rolling upwards in terror as she skittishly responded to the loud and unexpected lyrics. Sonya did not register what was said as much as who was saying. As the figure came into focus she caught a glimpse of teeth and felt panic rising. Oh, Gods! she thought, an image of a stallion burning her mind's eye. Of course this pegasus was nothing like her nightmare. Grinding her teeth together she set about calming down, observing every move this flying creature made. She felt much better when the winged stag landed, at least enough for her to regain composure. The grulla mare lowered her head courteously, albeit fearfully too.

The male spoke to her then, bidding her a pleasant enough welcome. Perking her ears up warily, the grey mare took a tentative step closer. "My name is Sonya, Sir. I.. I was following the scents of some horses I know. Seele, and other members of the Asylum," her words stumbled over each other as she spoke quickly, unsure of how to explain herself. She did not want to say why she left, perhaps maybe to someone who would understand, but certainly not to a stranger. A stallion. Someone who will judge her as weak. For this she hesitated, her words trailing off into silence. She simply stared at the gent before her.
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

MIDAS
Nothing to lose but everything to gain
The girl wasn’t elated with my presence in a positive way—or perhaps wasn’t thrilled with me personally Either way her feminine body only started to relax when I’d come to a nearly frozen standstill and we were regarding each other on level soil. Composure slowly returned to her face and relaxed rigid muscles. With some effort my smile remained as she replied, though noticeably hesitate the stranger answered my question. I nodded, rewarding feedback with patience and a cordial reply, “And I’m Midas. Ye has traveled to the right place.” Face veered to the wall of rock, “Beyond this mountain is your kin from Asylum—many of them now call Hidden Falls home.” Was this girl another crazy like they boasted themselves to be?

Regardless on intellect or otherwise mental capabilities we weren’t far from the entrance, it was within a few minutes walking distance from here, and I wasn’t about to leave a warm body siting on our doorstep, “I could led thee to them?” A few from Asylum had proven their worth, even as their former leaders shamed those efforts. Eris and her friend had chosen isolation, coupled with the lack of friendship to aid in future ventures. An unwise move considering Helovia was only getting solidly established. Who knew how many snakes still lingered in our mist—and it was then that Eris came forward in my mind. The warning she left us with as final parting. A warning, and perhaps a promise. Trouble was in our near future, and it would likely be orchestrated.
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Unregistered
With his smile remaining in tact and no outward signs of aggression or hostility, the grulla femme felt her stress become much more subdued. Like many, she responded more to kindness than cruelty and she was very grateful that Midas did not use force against her for intruding into the lands like some might. She politely inclined her head at his introduction, listening attentively to his words. He confirmed what she had thought. They were here, her family of freaks. Sonya's relief was obvious from her expression as he said that she was at the right location, and it was all she could do to suppress the content sigh that wanted to gain freedom. Following his gaze she stared at the seemingly haphazardly placed rocks that she had decided against climbing, and felt a slight amusement form. It was certainly a good natural frontier. She had voted against it for the simple reason that her frame was not suited to climbing, nor was her mental state. At least that was the case if she was alone.

A few seconds of silence seemed to pass before more syllables fell from the stallion's lips and she looked at him in surprise. She was a stranger, yet he was willing to let her go deeper into the lands? It was more than she could have hoped for! "I would be most grateful, Midas" she said, her appreciation audible from the tone of voice. Her emotions were sincere, that much was clear. She wore them on her sleeves, having never truly learnt to hide them, never having had need to. At least, not that she remembered. She paused for a few moments, before deciding that she may as well push her luck. "Would it be possible for me to call this place home too?" her hesitation was back, setting herself up to be greeted with disappoint. It was one thing to visit, but what could she really bring to the herd as a resident? As much as she wanted to be with the others again, there was some sort of security being around them, she was always going to be one of the weaker members, someone's responsibility until she learnt more about the world around her. Her amnesia ensured that she knew not of what a threat was, and left her somewhat naive. All the life lessons she had been taught needed teaching again. There was very little she had gained in her time in Helovia in that department, other than it was far better to be surrounded by those who could protect and accept you than to be alone and vulnerable.