the Rift

[OPEN] It will never rain roses

Moniz Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The rotund pony had been lured back to the confusing room that hid its secrets in plain sight. To her credit, Moniz had learned a thing or two since her first excursion into the hallowed chamber. She knew now about the horned and winged figures. Not much else had been learned in her season of darkness, but at least she had made some kind of progress towards broadening her horizons, even if that had not been her intention. Frankly, she didn’t give a damn about her horizons – not consciously, at least. Of course, if she had simply decayed over the months, learning nothing, accomplishing nothing, being nothing… true nothingness breeds a uniquely profound type of despair. Even the crude little pony would not have been able to prevent herself from succumbing to its existential terror.

It was this existential terror, buried under dozens of layers of flawed coping mechanisms and misguided attempts at self-preservation, that propelled Moniz back to the Wall of History. She did not know this, of course. She was not reflective enough to consider why she felt the need to go somewhere or do something. She only knew that an uncomfortable incongruity had jammed itself in her mind somewhere, and for whatever reason, she was drawn to this room to release it.

As it would happen, the forces that be have chosen to bestow another learning opportunity on our unlikely little heroine.

Moniz felt the now-familiar glow of artificial light playing across her back as she bee-lined for the bubbling fountain. Black-rimmed ears swiveled with atypical caution, as though she knew something different was to happen and she should be on guard for whatever it may be. There were others around, as there always seemed to be in these crowded, musty caves, but like usual, they seemed mostly absorbed in their own thoughts and conversations. A dark-coated pony could slip like a shadow, entirely unnoticed in the murky light, even if she were not moving with any semblance of stealth.

The lights flickered continuously along the wall, shifting and sharing the time in the spotlight for each section of the room. Thick legs’ forward progress halted abruptly when, jutting out from a crevice that lurked conspicuously along a lonely section of the wall, something broke the endless monotony of stone. Still keeping her distance, Moniz lowered her gaze towards it, and a dim red-orange glow played across its smooth exposed surface. Her choppy strides resumed, this time drawing her to the object’s half-hearted hiding place. The shortness of her neck compelled her to draw within mere inches of the sphere, and as she lowered her muzzle to the floor to investigate it, she recalled the existence of similar items above ground, most often hidden in trees but occasionally cracked on the floor, little undeveloped bodies unfit for life next to the delicate pieces of porcelain that had been intended for protection.

There was no tree here – no way to explain the egg’s existence in such an odd spot. Fortunately, Moniz was not the type of mare to require explanations. She felt strongly compelled to take the lonely thing for herself, so she did. Her flexible upper lip went to work, carefully working the fragile egg free from the wall. Once freed, it rolled to a stop by her hoof, glistening suggestively at her. Instinct directing her every unusually delicate movement, she stepped back and laid her heavy body to the cold floor with surprising grace. Once settled, she poked the pale sphere gently towards the soft flesh that covered the dried fig of her heart, and ever so tentatively, both it and the egg began the arduous process of ripening.

OOC: Open if anyone particularly wants to reply =)

Rostislav Posts: 245
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 7 (Frostfall) HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Damaris :: Common Hellhound :: Acid Lauren

And so my adventure continues, exploring the various rooms that this cavernous underground holds. Normally, I'd tell you that I'm not that adventurous. I find myself a happy place, plop down, and take a nice snooze. There's really nothing to get that excited about. Having said that, something about these caves makes me want to explore. Explore, and escape the pounding heartbeats, hooves of the crowds. Their sweaty bodies rubbing together. Hey, I like getting close to others, too, but I'd like to do it on my own terms, not forced into the party. And yet, it seemed that was the case wherever I went. Now I was headed into a room that seemed to house an unusual light above, reddish and reminiscent of flame. What flame was doing inside a cave beats the hell outta me. But I guess it's not for me to say what belongs where. A bubbling fountain. And who the hell puts fountains in caves? Another mystery. Finally a wall, and I can't help but think that it isn't the sort of thing that comes straight from nature. I approach slowly, carrying my precious egg in my mouth. My jaw is getting sore from holding it, but I suppose I can hold it a little bit longer. I stare at the etchings in the wall. They're fairly meaningless to me, and I wonder if it is because I'm now seeing two versions of them. Well shit, there goes the vision again.

I look over to my side, and see a fat pony lying down, cradling something that reminds me a lot of what I'm holding delicately between my teeth. She has an egg too? Son of a bitch. I don't know if that makes me feel better or worse. I walk over to her and lie down next to her. I put the egg down gently between my legs. Her dark form is more similar to mine that I'd gathered initially. Her build is similar, though I'm a little bit heavier, and a little taller. I tilt my head and stare at her, then her egg. Well, horses don't make eggs, so that must not be her child. Meaning... I can make advances!

"Hey pretty lady. I see we have something in common. I'll show you mine if you show me yours." I give her a creepy wink - my silvery orbs aren't really the seducing type. That doesn't stop me though as I've never been known for my humility. Of course, the statement is a little silly since both of our eggs are readily exposed. I wonder if she'll catch the sexual innuendo. I keep my snicker to myself, snickering after a pick-up line isn't the way to win over the ladies! At least it hasn't worked very well in the past.

Text text text.
"Words words words."

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Rostislav excluding dismemberment and death.

Marco Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Marco
I've traveled all this way for something

My curiosity suddenly ignited like a large flame. With fluid strides, thick legs carried me across the foreign nature of a land I had yet to comprehend in its full glory. Was this what I have in store for me? A land where it felt more dead than a new home teeming with life? Desolation was a new term; a new sight for ignorant eyes to lay upon the various rooms where this sanctuary would guarantee safety from whatever nerved the land. I hadn't a clue what I was searching for. Something important, I would assume. Exploration wasn't a favorite in one like me, but it could have been the disappointment in a journey.

I mentally scolded myself. I had a moment I treasured in my time the moment my hooves had touched the threshold. Of unknown territory, and an uncertain future. Now, I had to follow my instinct to search amongst this cave where the sky had taunted me with its disappearance. A few times I had to stop to see if any hole for would me peep at a land covered in the lush vegetation, and the induced vision made the inside of my maw salivate heavily.

Dim lights radiated from the walls, and reflected itself upon the brown hue of my coat. Nothing pretty came from it, and it left me frowning as I continued to drift on the path, unconsciously unaware of what I was doing and where I wanted to navigate myself. The blurry image of a fountain sharpened as I approached the once long amount of lengths it took to investigate what it was in person. More walking, and nothing was deceiving at the sight of two other equines! I peered with rejuvenated interest upon the sight of them.

Between dark forms of two varying forms, I spotted oval-shaped objects cradled with precise gentleness. The sight of them reminded me of overly large eggs, but what was I to label when I could easily be wrong? My body rocked forward with soft noises to accessorize my hooves making contact with the unnatural-feeling floor. I took cautious strides, but my entire face glowed with delight. Equines! Equines are here! My mind filled itself, eagerly and hungrily, on how to voice a polite greeting to them.

The larger equine - with a strange pointy-things- spoke his dialogue, but my late arrival only caught a glimpse of the words. It left me questionable on what they were conversing about, but I didn't want to imprint with a poor impression now. Rather, I stood there in silent as my jaw rattled excitedly with an urge to spill random words.
Words: 440
Tag(s): none
Comments: 'Ello, I hope you don't mind Marco intruding!
"blah blah blah."

Unregistered
The thing confined spaces have going for them is that you never have to be alone for very long. This is also their greatest drawback. Excess breeds contempt, and Moniz grew visibly irritated as the intruders encroached on her solemn little reverie of rare contentment. First the heavyset beast with two horns approached, and before Moniz could stand and assume a less vulnerable position, he had joined her on the floor. She felt the egg’s faint warmth radiating against her chest, and at its reminder, she pulled her chin sharply to her breast in a gesture of protectiveness. Never mind the brute’s unusually forward demeanor – an offputting trait that Moniz would’ve seen reflected in herself if she had ever bothered with self-reflection – but the many points that adorned his head made her particularly nervous. One unplanned movement…

Finally, Moniz glanced down to the stallion’s legs and saw his egg resting there. Why the fuck were these things down there? Then again, why the fuck were they down there? Moniz groaned belaboredly, obviously annoyed at the requisite mental exertion of considering these questions.

“I was having a moment,” Moniz growled brusquely, failing to keep the undercurrent of curiosity about the unicorn’s egg out of her voice. Her gaze fell unwaveringly on the dark orb between his legs, as though she really were sizing it up against the dusky rust-toned one she had claimed for herself.

But before Moniz could pass judgment on this other horse’s possession, the shadow of yet another equine encroaching on her little corner of the caves stepped awkwardly into the periphery, hovering over the odd pair. At least this one didn’t have sharp objects on his face. By this point, it was obvious Moniz would not be rising to her feet any time soon. She didn’t want to move the egg unless she had to, anyways. She rolled her eyes, grumbling loudly as she bluffed,
“I think someone else is more interested in your wares than me.” She gestured to the bald-faced youngster with a flip of her heavy head, jostling the thick tuft of her forelock across her right eye. “You gonna lie down here too, kid, or do you just wanna watch?”

The lady next to him seemed none-to-pleased to have him there. Well, that was too bad for her. I have already let myself down next to her and there was not really much of a place to go. I offer a friendly, non-suggestive smile to her. She's got her baby, and I've got mine. Normally I may want to put the moves on her, and when I first approached that was definitely on my mind. But her resistive behavior and the fact we both have little eggs to care for... I suppose I can handle laying off for now. The new mother seemed quite hormonal, and suddenly I felt like I might be in danger. Especially as the youngster came up behind us. I glanced over my shoulder, and saw a foal bounce up behind us. I grunt and stare at him. His eagerness unnerves me, and so I keep staring. The mare's comments aren't so off - the foal seems unable to speak. I grunt at him. "Hey kid I'm not used to an audience, but there's a first time for everything.." I chuckle quietly, liking my joke. I glance at him, then back at the mare. Is it time for introductions? Maybe. Maybe not. I guess it's time though. "I'm Rostislav. You two are?" I roll over to my side a little bit, drawing the egg against my furry belly. I stare again at the foal. His silent energy is a threat to my egg, and I don't want him coming any closer unless he can settle down first. I snort at him, and glance over at the mare again.

Text text text.
"Words words words."

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Unregistered

Marco
I've traveled all this way for something

I was in some form of trance; focused on the peculiar case of what still appeared to look like eggs under the equines' care. In spite of my silence, I had caught their attention somehow, but they exchanged dialogue with each other and with me.

The question by the mare had a different tone than I had expected, but I assumed there wasn't any intention of problems arising if I continued to relax here. Apologetic, for staring, I still continued to keep my distance and my legs cautiously folded until my heavy form gave them a burden to silently complain about - with soreness ensured once I get up, depending on my way.

"Sorry," I answered, "I-I was curious on what you two have. Are they eggs?"

It was quite an eggcellent sight! I was awed by the sight of eggs where growing babies grew within the safety of their shells. It was remarkable how us creatures could maintain such gentleness for such a fragile one. It piqued more of my excitement to inspect, but I hardly wanted to pry into two strangers' lives. My curiosity got the best of me, and sometimes it led me to these sorts of situations. Now, if mama were here, she would excuse us and send me away so I do not cause any trouble. Both of them sent off language indicating they didn't want any trouble from me, and I instantly flashed a comprehensive look at their indication.

Rostislav was the first to break the barrier holding back our unsaid names. My head immediately turned towards him as I said, "My name is Marco." My introduction was about being to the point with names. There wasn't anything intriguing to add after my name so I left it at that. Their presences felt intimidating so it could have been the reason my jaw clamped shut. My eyes followed the mare's current position, but I broke away contact to lower any miscommunications which could be lurking in their secretive minds.
Words: 335
Tag(s): none
Comments:
"blah blah blah."

Unregistered
Hesitant glances and awkward tension enveloped the unlikely trio in their dim nest. Moniz watched the heavy horned stallion with reluctant acceptance of his presence – he seemed to know what he was doing with the grungy-looking egg he guarded, and despite his joking demeanor, he had to understand the protective instinct that had begun to course through their veins. The quick looks he shot her way were returned with an unwavering dark stare. What are you looking at?

What are you both looking at?

As the stallion joked, Moniz muttered under her breath with bemusement skirting the edges of her voice,
“In your dreams, studly.” Against her chest, the almost-imperceptible vibrations of life fluttered reassuringly.

The awkward youngster took the advice Moniz had offered somewhat facetiously, and joined them on the cold, hard floor. Her stare shifted to the bald-faced boy with his bubbly enthusiasm, and she was heartened to see him at least show some modesty with his stuttered apology. But it was with standard flippant sarcasm that she responded,
“No, Sparky, they’re rainbow turds we’re just really enthusiastic about.”

Finally the strange conversation circled around to the introductions. Rostislav and Marco introduced themselves simply and politely, and the pony felt the conversation lull as they looked around at each other, waiting for her to follow suit. She liked keeping boys waiting. As she reached the boundary of time she could wait without seeming dumb, she smiled and announced with a proud nod of her head,
“I am Moniz.”

The mare thought about leaving it at that, letting them lie in awkward silence, but that didn’t sound like much fun for her and she decided to try to draw out some conversation. With mock giddiness, she giggled girlishly,
“My goodness, we have a slumber party! Who wants to play truth or dare? Spin the bottle maybe? Pin the tail on the donkey?” Her eyes strolled judgmentally from Rostislav, then to Marco, before landing softly on the little egg.

The young one that has neared them drops down behind them, his face full of curiosity. He states that he wants to know what it is that we have, and provides his name. Marco. I glance at him warily. Well, he may be a little overeager...but not too bad of a lad. He might be alright. For a moment, I'm thinking I might reply to his introduction, and his excitement. But the lady next to me speaks first, and her barb -- toward Marco, for I miss the one aimed at me -- elicits a pleased chuckle from me. She didn't seem to find my jokes amusing, but I found her amusing. Eh, can't win them all. At least I'm amused. Go me! She introduces herself. Moniz. Well, Miss Moniz is a little bit Miss Attitude.

Her attitude increases. She starts to suggest games that we could play. Children's games. My eyes moves from her to Marco. He's a child. They would be suitable for him. I turn my gaze back to her and snap halfheartedly with my teeth. "Now, now, pretty lady. There's no need for that sort of attitude." I turn my glance toward the boy and chuckle. "Not in front of the kid." I think for a moment that I might say something else. But no. Her attitude irritates me, and I have no time to bother with being irritated. I put my lips to my flask and skillfully lift it to take a swig of vodka. Ah, yes. No need to think about sassy ladies and loud children. There's much better things to do... like drink... and relax....

Text text text.
"Words words words."

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Unregistered
The heat of my body battled with the cold temperature settled into the floor. I forgot the exact reason I obliged to the mare's advice, but I followed through without protest. There wasn't anything to protest, and the motherly, protective gaze - whose eyes reminded me of the earth - pierced into the depths of my soul. The feeling never described itself as eerie, but it still disturbed me nonetheless. The worse was her dialogue after my query which sent my blood boiling when it took me moments to realize what she was going on about. Rainbow turds and all.

The mare did not respond with her name right away which added more to my concerns over her. I had no right to judge a stranger although my mind prickled with agitation at this point. Yet the stallion with the unusual horns perched upon his skull hardly failed to soothe some of the emotions I housed beneath the peppy surface of a curious colt. Oddly enough, I begun to appreciate his presence in spite of his flirtatious behavior towards her. However, my musings swayed back towards the mare, who introduced herself as Moniz, and I quietly thought about the games that would cease the boredom within this sanctuary. I wasn't sure if her attitude was included in her recent words, yet it was soothing to know others were well-aware of it.

My brow raised with a mixture of hurt pride and a neutral feeling; if that even made sense to myself. Sparky? Kid? The last time I checked I was dubbed Marco. I nearly dropped my jaw to finally protest, but I closed it shut.

Unregistered
Thoroughly exasperated by Rostislav’s scolding, Moniz rolled her eyes. “Shame on me,” she muttered dismissively as he began to guzzle the sharp-smelling alcohol. “Do you want to write me a demerit while you’re at it?” His thirst evidently quenched, she added nastily under her breath, “Seems you’re not exactly an exemplary role model yourself, Rostislav?”

But while it was easy enough to respond to the older stallion with her usual thorny criticism, the colt proved a harder case. He lay quietly on the floor some distance from them, not moving or saying anything. It is always disconcerting for a bully when they fail to get a reaction, and Moniz was no exception. Come on, get upset, start crying, anything… Give me something to play with… But Marco was not indulging her: she received only the cautionary lifting of a young brow. Moniz grew uncomfortably flustered, and she hated the feeling. She spoke brusquely, but the normally tight edges of her voice had grown strained as they began to fray.
“It’s rude to stare, and it’s too late to play dumb. We already know you can talk.”

Clearly neither gentleman was impressed with Moniz’s unfriendly playful suggestions. She looked distractedly at them for another moment before once again obsessively floating down to the rusted egg. Her egg. She smiled, and the smile evolved into quiet, unexplained giggles. The crest of her thick neck wobbled joyfully with each stuttered laugh, her nostrils trembling delightedly. The pony regained her composure as abruptly as she had lost it, but the smile remained as she declared,
“My goodness, what a fun bunch we are!”

Apparently this was all Moniz had to say. She stretched her neck out and let it settle carefully on the cold floor next to the egg, her head rolling lazily to the side with a sigh.

I found myself unsure of what to do with the two beasts that are in my company. The mare, an unhappy little fatty, doesn't seem to be in any sort of mood to deal with anyone. A bit of a pain in the ass. I glance at her egg that she is keeping close to her body. Can an ass be such a good mother? Who knows. Then there's the kid. He's alright, but he's all quiet now, which I find rather... disconcerting? Annoying? I'm not really sure. Moniz sends a jab or two my way, insulting my parenting ability. I give a shrug-like gesture. Just because I can enjoy my juice doesn't mean that I'll be a bad parent. My parents were plenty bad before pa started drinking. As far as I can tell, avoiding drinking won't help my future spawn at all. If the beast is there, it's there. She sends jabs at Marco. I think for a moment that maybe I could stand up for him, defend him against the bully... Hmmm... nope, I don't really care enough for that.

"What a fun bunch we are!"

Indeed. Before the bitch gets anymore bitchy, I think I'll take my fat ass and my precious little death egg somewhere else. I pick it up in my mouth, awkward as ever, and rise to my feet, careful to not put my striped hooves anywhere they shouldn't be. With a grunt and the garbled words of "see you later kids", I slowly walk away from the wall, leaving the mare and colt to figure out what to do with themselves.

Text text text.
"Words words words."
OOC: sorry guys, just had no muse <3

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Unregistered
Moniz continued her bullying which stung more and more every second. It was beginning to be impossible to be indifferent as my silence was usually my reaction to these sorts of situations. Rarely I pursued someone with the mouth of a total jerk, but this system contained surprises all around. My long face already began to show apparent signs of the effects of her bullying, but distaste followed suit when my childish behavior - attitude, I presumed - emerged.

Sorry for forgetting how to be polite in this environment, I thought sourly. However, she wouldn't be able to know the exact words as my brow lowered and I sighed. "Yes, I can talk. Don't worry, my voice isn't horse." I answered simply, drawling out the pun which I wasn't sure could be interpreted vocally. Most despised where my wit led to. I darted my eyes and bald face elsewhere since I rather not focus on the sight of her before me, and not because I was going to give into her behavior. Although I admit, she still intimidated me, but not as much as the stallion Rostislav who, fortunately, wasn't interested in poking fun at the a boy.

I still didn't forget the sight. A smile before I looked away. A bizarre sight by my standards where two personalities contradict each other within the mare. My ears caught onto the tone of her voice - the words muffled or left unsaid in her sounds. It almost sounded cheerful and delicate compared to how she originally acted. Yet I wasn't looking directly at anyone, not yet anyway. Only when the behemoth decided to leave his leave with a few words after the mare returned to normal. I rolled my eyes at her words, but I didn't reply. At that moment, I was literally gawking at the move the stallion took, and left both of us, Moniz and I, to settle quarrels and oddities among ourselves. I admired his courage, but some envy lurked where I wished I could tail him. I stayed. I don't know why, but I did with a presence I never expected to endure.

I regained my composure, but my expression remained wide-eyed, "Did he just...?" I began to say, but I trailed off. I muttered under my breath a minute later: "I don't understand Helovians."

Unregistered
Life in these caves grew stranger by the minute. Moniz's breathing had begun to slow, her substantial belly expanding and collapsing in hypnotic rhythm as her attention shifted back towards the egg. These boys might have been fun just a few short days ago, before she felt compelled to be responsible for anything else. As things stood - or lay, as the case may be - the pony was content to simply scare any potential threat away.

Marco looked full of hurt from Moniz's goading, much to her satisfaction. His pun flew right by her as she grumbled irritably,
"Why would your voice be hoarse?" But she brushed the thought from her mind just as quickly as it had entered. Horned Rostislav was standing up in a movement she deemed far too abrupt, and she immediately moved to cover her egg with her unrefined head. Her heart leapt into her throat as she glared furiously at the bay unicorn, but the threat subsided as he stomped off with his own ugly little egg. "Damn oaf…" Moniz growled after him, more to herself than the remaining member of their little cave floor party.

Speaking of Marco, what was the bizarre colt up to now? He stared after the equally odd stallion with a look of open confusion, but stayed quietly on the floor where he'd settled some distance away. Moniz watched him warily, slowly raising her neck back to its upright position and allowing the rusty, porous shell to breathe the cool, dark air. The bald-faced boy’s confusion irritated her, but it did not scare her – unlike the herky jerky motions of the heavyset stallion, he seemed steady enough not to make any sudden movements that might risk her egg’s health. She scowled, but it was a milder expression than before as she shot,
“Not understanding things seems to be a bit of a theme with you, doesn’t it? Allow me to help. He’s bored. And drunk.” The scowl twisted upwards into a smirk as she concluded, “Idiot,” not deigning to specify the brute to whom she referred.

Unregistered
There was a pause of silence after the footsteps started to fade away. I already regretted not calling out for the larger stallion, but there wasn't going to be anything pretty if he ever did return by my own pleading voice. Pride or fear - I hadn't a clue why I didn't even try even with those two choices although it was more likely the latter. I hardly muttered anything else after my own confusion led to a side-comment about magical equines. What did I ever know about Helovians? Hardly anything. I hardly understood Moniz, and she reminded me of the members from my former herd. Appearance-wise anyway.

Speaking of Moniz, I was genuinely surprised when she appeared to have hardly reacted to my pun (as some reactions contained enough to cause an equine to groan, from personal experience). Her voice shattered the silence with a question relating to my words, but it wasn't enough to leave me feeling better about myself. I shook my head to wave off the topic, "Never mind." I answered back. Something stirred in my mind: what would Rostislav said? It would have been different if there was three of them, or a little more one counted the eggs. I nearly wondered what the eggs thought. Moniz wasn't too disappointed to see another and his egg leave, but he hardly heard the extra words sprouting from her mouth.

Her words were milder than before, to my surprise, when she probably thought me dumb at this rate. I hardly knew what went on in the minds of others nor did I want to pry just to get a taste of words inside craniums for curiosity's sake. My excuse was to blame it on age, but I didn't bring up an argument. I was silently nursing the hurt instilled inside me from the mare's behavior, but she probably desired something from me: words. I preferred to speak too, but I didn't want to antagonize our acquaintances any further nor find myself tramped.

"I wonder if he will be back," I murmured; strangely missing his presence in the area. I rolled my eyes, "I'm probably an idiot like you said, but I literally do not know what he is...with the horns and all." It took me a moment to realize I was probably talking to myself at this point, but it wasn't an appropriate topic to discuss anyway. I mentioned another topic instead, "What is your egg for?" I prayed I didn't trespass as I blurted out my question to the remaining equine here. Nearly regretting it. Nearly.

Unregistered
What an odd little creature this colt was proving to be. Moniz wondered why Marco did not simply leave; his discomfort in this situation was perfectly clear. Oh well. It was no skin off her back. Besides, being able to make someone squirm was one of the great joys in the pony’s life. But Marco’s interest in someone who wasn’t Moniz was quickly irritating her. Why did he care so much about Rostislav? That would not do at all. Everything has to be all about Moniz. Always.

Marco admitted his ignorance of Rostislav’s species. Moniz thought back to her meeting with the bratty but entertaining colt, Crake, who had told her that he was a unicorn. Of course, Rostislav didn’t look much like Crake, but it was close enough that Moniz was willing to act with superiority (it doesn’t take much). She smiled condescendingly towards Marco and her voice resounded with authority as she pounced,
“The ones with horns are unicorns, colt. Why do you care so much about that brute, anyways?” Pay attention to me damn it.

Evidently Marco was not actually only going to engage Moniz in questions about Rostislav, who she knew no better than the youngster. He asked about the egg, and Moniz stumbled for a moment. She was not exactly sure what it was for. She knew about the birds and lizards that were hatched from normal eggs, but this was not really some normal egg. She had discovered it underground, alone, with no explanation for its existence. Moniz had simply decided that she wanted it, and it would be hers. Whatever. It was something to think about while they were stuck in the caves, at least. She lay silently for some time, thinking about how to explain it in a way that upheld her image as a mare who knows what’s up. Finally, she spoke more thoughtfully,
“It was a gift… From the room with the fountain and those markings on the wall. Perhaps you should go check it out.” She concluded suggestively with a nod of her head in the direction of that chamber, ready to be alone with her precious egg.

Unregistered

M A R C O

It became increasingly obvious how much I've been intruding, but most of it slipped my mind as I nearly braced for another verbal attack. My mind focused heavily on the crossfire, but at least I could escape through a wide path than a narrow one - metaphorically speaking. Narrowly escaping with their life; isn't that the term? I hardly knew, but I assumed something else inclined itself as a puppeteer of musings and rationalization.

Relationships were complicated, but it was even more complex when the three of us (now two when the other quit due to his "drunken" behavior as pointed out by Moniz) intertwined in a bizarre series of events leading up to this point. My own philosophy on relationships was to acquaint and study the other character; make first impressions, and improve on being a better equine. Except I hardly done anyone of those in a mannerly fashion, and the guilt of it all weighed heavily on my withers.

At least something interesting squeezed out from my idiotic ways of trying to befriend a grumpy old mare. I hardly knew her age, but I made a guess based on her attitude, but supposedly that officially stated that my attitude was that of a boy! Did I ever mention how much I viewed relationships as complicated, complex? Anyway, I learned Rostislav was a unicorn. The idea of unusual equine species being referred to as a one-corn food object hardly made any sense to me, but I didn't make the rules when it came to naming things. Heck, I probably would be a terrible name-giver if I ever was blessed with the chance to name my offspring something.

My question after interrogating upon Rostislav's horn origins never went unanswered. It caught me off-guard when she went silent for a moment, but I didn't press on an immediate answer. Rather, I waited patiently until it was spoken from her jaw. Already my mind bustled with the idea of gifts. Egg gifts! Eyes poised on Moniz as she explained it. Unfortunately, it had took me some time to realize she was directing me towards another area of the Sanctuary. Where a gift could be waiting for me! My eyes flickered with keen interest and a greedy sort of look. "I see," I responded eagerly.

I was quick to get back to my feet; my legs a tad wobbly from lack of use for the duration of my stay. The idea of leaving sounded healthy where the mare's presence also wouldn't haunt me with her voice. However, my mind was focused on the gift more than the positive reasons why I should go. She was company in spite of the negative feelings inflicted upon me, I had to admit. It was something to come to than nothing at all. "Well, see ya?" I mumbled awkwardly as I faced the entrance of the area I was in before I took my leave.

You will like my sense of humor
You will be addicted to my smile
Laughing all the while

Image Credit

Fixed Table by Tamme