[OPEN] get straight, wait here

Vesta Posts: 15
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 5 years Buff: NOVICE
Time

V E S T A

If the real thing don't do the trick
You better make up something quick

Dark clouds formed around me, trapping the light as winter's grip reached out to pull me in. I beat my wings harder, knowing I was close to the Sanctuary I had called home in a breathless, temporary whisper. I yearned for the warmth of the sun, the feel of the sand under my hooves. I could nearly taste the salt in the air, wafted from the waves of the ocean that matched my eyes on bright days. It had been far too long since I was in the kingdom of the silver bay mare with her primitive guard. Still, the desire kept the blood pumping from my heart to my hooves, to the tips of my wings, and it brought me back.

I was stronger now. The trauma was gone, my wounds were healed, and I was ready to face Gaucho and Kri with my head held high.

They would not be disappointed in me.

As winter thunder rolled in the clouds around me I descended. The ground came closer and closer, and a familiar flicker entered my vision. It was the heart of Helovia, an ever-burning place just outside of the Dragon's Throat. I had made it, which did surprise me, as the last time I traveled from the tip of Helovia to the Throat, I was on hoof, and I was in and out of consciousness. Once I was near enough to the hard packed earth I tucked in my silvery wings, resting them tight against my ribs. My dark nostrils flared as I took in a deep breath, filling my lungs with the familiar ash and dust. It was warm here with the fire, no snow in sight, though I knew it would be packed tight in the meadow just miles behind me. On trained, cloven hooves I stepped around the heart, its fire throwing hues of orange, red and yellow to dance on my desaturated figure. A familiar sort of comfort would have washed over me, had it not been for the sight of the cave entrance. It was new. Blinking, my ears flicked like rapid satellites on my crown, trying to catch sounds that would threaten me. "What the hell?"

I untucked my wings and let them drape gently at my sides, though the muscles in my shoulders and legs tightened--I was ready to leap into flight at any moment. Snorting, in a most unlady-like manner, I stalked towards the cave entrance. My curiosity trapped me, and the reunion with the Dragon's Throat would have to wait. With a lash of my tail I inspected the cave entrance, beaten down to a well-worn path from many hooves. Was there a fucking mass exodus to this cave? The stone around it was painted heavily with markings of hooves, horns, paws, claws and the like. This underground system must have seen a lot of action. Indignantly I lifted my head and snorted once more. "Hello!" I called out, my voice booming and bouncing off of the stone and heart-fire to echo around me, reverberating a sound no other than I had heard in the weeks of my travel.

[Welcome to any!]

Image Credit

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream
No Time for Lies and Empty Fights

100%

Winter’s wrath was yet to flee Helovia.

Brightly burning eyes were lifted high, lingering on the bleak-grey clouds as they ballooned to smother all glint of fresh blue from the sky. There was no doubting that this Frostfall had been the worst he could remember- and still, there were only a handful of remittent days that he had truly been subject to its violent, bitter fury. All around the air seemed to vibrate as the storm bellowed its wicked intent to the stricken world below, and Hector’s long auburn ears danced fearlessly to its roar. Wind licked the shimmery golden-red tendrils of his mane into a frenzy; wildfire teased to life, as he lifted his chin still higher to test the frosty air with quivering, flaring nostrils.

He had been among those first to leave The Sanctuary; a Spear sent before an exploding, claustrophobic population to make certain the rumours of a weakened darkness were true. Indeed the wraiths numbers dwindled, and without such an army bound by sick, plaguing fog, they were easier to outsmart and evade. When the order had been given, for the army to disperse, Hector had barrelled south upon the beat of massive wings. His loyalty remained true despite the severance of all herd dynamics, and for the length of his underground stay, the tawny tri-bred had ached to return; to stride amongst his peers, brothers in arms, and reconnect with the home he served so devotedly.

He had been disturbed to find only a rubble bridge; fallen terracotta stone, blocks and windblown sand to dress, with sea lashing to either side. With the sound of the impending storm frothing all around, he had dared not venture further without aid- brave yes, but a fool the tawny giant was not, and Hector had turned back towards the heart and the caves (which remained the Throat’s closest neighbour).

The stillness which had engulfed the warm, cindered region was still more eerie than that which had been born by the plaguing darkness. None had stayed any longer than was necessary it seemed, and now what had been the bustling doorway between obliteration and salvation, lay in uncomfortable silence. That was until a call peeled through the whirling wind to find his listening, ever alert ears. Clever eyes began to search the arid landscape for the other whose familiar voice he could not match a face to. She was standing by the entrance to The Sanctuary, lithe body glowing silver as she appeared to dither just beyond reach of those lonely, hungering shadows from below.

Vesta.

She had not been seen through Helovia’s time of darkness, and like many of their kin, had been feared taken by the wraiths. Flooding relief began to spill through his core, hide flinching reactively; breathe rattling through flaccid nostrils, and the soldier strode with fluid grace to meet her. They were no more friends than the burning sun was to ice, but the last (and first) time their paths had crossed she had called herself soldier- they were bound for that reason, in purpose and in arms. The stallion had no reason to believe her a turn coat; or any other who had served the Throat beside them.

The expression was stoic as he neared, and deliberately Hector laid two sloppy steps to scatter stone across the parched clay. "Vesta!" He called, his voice equally as booming has her own voice, though tinged with subtle tenderness for the sake of their allegiance. "Soldier, we'd thought you lost." It did not take the tall creature to close the distance between, and he greeted her respectfully, with a swiftly dipping face and a loose fitting smile that rarely found purchase upon his lips. Veci swirled forward also, his invisible breath-like form pausing soon to wait with unusual restrain by the shoulder of his partner.

• Dragon's Throat Rank Experience: Fortify | Level 3
• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Vesta Posts: 15
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 5 years Buff: NOVICE
Time

V E S T A

If the real thing don't do the trick
You better make up something quick

My response only came moments after I called out. I spun, wings unfurling at my sides and ready to grab the air and lift me away--or, if it was needed, fight. However, it was my name that left the lips of the one before me, and the familiar fire-orange of the brute softened my ready, and able, body. Hector. He approached me and continued to speak, his whole presence a comfort. Winter's bleak, desaturated shadow was pitiful in light of Hector, his head towering over mine like the story of the beast and his maiden. "I was lost."

I stepped forward, cloven hooves pulling me to close the distance Hector had chosen not to. I reached out with my dark lips, tugging gently at the tendrils of his mane. Should I expose my cowardice to him? Does Hector, a strong soldier, solid at the borders always, need to know my reason for fleeing? He had surely seen tears in my eyes before, in the froth of the ocean the first time we had met. Tears were weakness, and if I had been weak at any time it was then on the beach. Pulling back away from the orange tribrid I shifted my weight and decided. "When I came to Helovia I had just suffered a great loss. That loss still haunts me, in the darkest hours of the night and the loneliest moments of the day, but I had to run--when I left--I had to get away. The haunt was so great it shook each of my muscles and I felt cold down to the very core of each of my feathers. What I saw, in my waking dream, rocked me."

I turned my gaze away from the mammoth and looked back towards the cave. Long shadows cast on my features, seafoam eyes averted from the fire of Helovia and the fire of Hector. "It wasn't real. I see that now." I shifted again, unable to stand still as I cracked my chest open and watched the blood spill to Hector's solid hooves. "I am here, the only place I know is safe." The words falling from my tongue tasted salty and warm. The Dragon's Throat--Kri--had welcomed me among the ranks for my skill in battle, and now, alone as ever, my hooves yearned to serve the desert. "Have you ever had a night terror, Hector?" Using his name out loud seemed a sin, familiarities such a dark concept after my months of single travel. It felt wrong--although I knew it was not--to talk with this stallion in such a manner. Despite my background, living with the vagabonds of vagabonds, Ain had pounded the ideas of courtesy and respect into my very core.

Shaking my head, I turned back to face the brute. "I have been gone far too long, Hector, what happened in my absence?" How had the invasions gone? I turned back for a moment to looks at the entrance to the cave. When had that appeared? I returned my gaze to my brother, awaiting his response.

Image Credit
No more dreaming like a girl so in love with the wrong world
</style>

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream
No Time for Lies and Empty Fights

100%

She swivelled in an instant; storm-cloud mane swirling and twisting to life above the reach of her crest, glossy feathers rippling as the rough wind lifted them from their bed. She was a figure of mystery, of beauty to behold- still nothing seemed to Hector to be finer than feminine fierceness in the face of danger. He gazed down upon her, auburn eyes ablaze with unchecked interest and expanding intrigue, and as hers lifted typically in defence, so too did the ochre stallion’s; stirred to act by the surge of her own surprise. He could feel a sneer rising through the mind of his ill-behaved mind; it felt like a guilty smear across his conscience, a flutter of evil through an adolescent heart. Neither suited him though, and he pressed heavily against the creature he could not see with all the weight of his steadfast integrity. Hector again nodded as the lines of tension; of readiness and athleticism, began to soften across her.

He was captivated, fascinated by her (testosterone flowed remorselessly through pulsing veins- it was unavoidable), though he admired the gracefulness she portrayed with caution because her kind were as volatile as they were attractive. Many that he had tangled with in the past, of her same gender, hid beneath their alluring masks, venom waiting to strike the simplicity of a masculine mind. She spoke then, few words sliding from the motion of her dark lips, but they explained amply and easily the reason for her absence. Lost… Hector mused in silence; he asked not how or why, such was unnecessary and quite in the past.

Vesta closed the distance he had left so deliberately then, sliding forward and stirring the loose clay-powder to rise and plume delicately around each long, charcoal-shroud limb. The wind swept it from her unmercifully. His eyes caught the movement and were drawn down rapidly, distracting his thoughts until her soft breath neared his neck; teal eyes so close as she fiddled unnervingly with the tousled tendrils of his silky, golden-red mane. The stallion stood motionless, drawn to her as equally as he was unsettled by her nearness. Should the Heart have been basking beneath any true sunlight, surely sweat would have broken instantly between the dim grooves of his body.

Almost as quickly, she had recoiled, and it was all he could do to hold back the wander of his flared nostrils as they tried eagerly to follow.

He propped dutifully, shaking literally the inappropriate sway of his attention from his sleek hide, long brawny tail flicking sharply behind. She began to talk; to explain even, he gathered, and Hector’s keen ears swivelled towards her to listen- certainly, it would turn into a revelation he had least expected. Vesta told him through well bridled emotion that she had suffered nightmares of some sort; terrible memories haunting her both night and day, and his heart (though primarily hard and resilient), mellowed as she continued, though comfort and console were not skills he found ease wielding.

As she glanced from him, fiery eyes remained fixed to the her pretty face; the black powdered nose, and those dancing shadows as she turned from the fire, bestowing a wildly sinister glamour upon her. She continued, and he bristled like an unruly student brought to task. "I’ve known fear enough to haunt sleep." Hector offered on cue, but not nearly as generously or easily as she had spilt the wrath of her mind to him. A sturdy wall he had crafted around himself since the troubles of his youth; shattered confidence and worthlessness a gravity he had spent years overcoming, and possibly he had not the ability now to offer anything but the stiff-faced concern he showed her. Certainly his care was rarely given out- should she have been a damsel from anywhere else; he might have scoffed at her floundering.

Instead, the twice horned stallion lowered the regal stance of his skull towards her, feeding off the intimacy she had already proffered. Tentatively, sinew throughout his body wrought plainly with the caution pounding through his heart, the soldier moved to press his maw against her- to remind her that she held a place with them, in Dragon’s Throat, and that she was indeed safe.

He pulled back after a moment, and offered a small smile.

When Vesta shook then, Hector shifted also across his legs, adjusting his weight to spread evenly and cleared his throat- all too happy to resume his rigidness. "The northern Unicorns were returned to their squaller. They were foolish to think themselves a greater force then we or our allies." He snorted gruffly. "Kri left us without word last Tallsun, and has not been seen since. Midas lifted Gaucho in her stead with much disquiet stirred among the ranks. But no sooner had he be set upon the throne, we were all sent by our Lord of the sun to cower beneath the ground," He gestured briskly with a reaching, bouncing face towards the murky gape of the caves entrance. "down there. Through Orangemoon and Frostfall just passed, all of Helovia was stricken by some plague which turned those we call friends and family into ravenous, decaying ghouls. It has been a terrible time."

After which he reiterated earnestly- "I am so glad you have returned."

• Dragon's Throat Rank Experience: Fortify | Level 3
• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times