the Rift

[OPEN] Waste not

Morir Posts: 79
Up For Adoption atk: 4.5 | def: 6.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 4 HP: 54 | Buff: NOVICE
Arwydd :: Raven :: None Adoptable

Winter was steadily growing tedious. Something about the endless cold, no matter how used to it he was from childhood days, or the shirking of snow under cloven hooves, or the chill of snow upon the back was slowly wearing down the already short patience of the black stag. He had to admit to himself that he was turning into a grouch; everything irritated him, from the merry titter of birds in the bushes to the patter of melting snow during particularly warm late-winter days. Every sound grated on his nerves until the chiseled ears threatened to stick in their backwards tilt, a perpetually sour expression keeping most intelligent creatures out of his way.

He had felt like striking out at something all day, wanting to stomp and charge, rip and tear and destroy something... But now that he stood over the steaming carcass of a rather unfortunate snowshoe hare (it had appeared before him at just the wrong moment, interrupting him as he tried to dig for food), with rapidly cooling blood splattered over chest and legs and freezing into crimson stains on the bone mask, Morir was beginning to question his own sanity.

Confutatis might have laughed at the shame and regret that washed through him as the terrified shrieks of the rodent faded into silence. That asshat Tyradon would have snorted upon seeing the nauseous expression the youth carried now, taken the moment to pass off some snide remark on how Morir would be next... Fortunately - or perhaps unfortunately since their presence would have forced him to snap out of the bout of insanity in the first place - neither of the two were in the vicinity, and so the swarthy Duke was left to his own devices. Left completely alone, to revel and roll in lament and pity.

Empathy was always useless when it came too late.

Standing so still he would appear paralyzed the blind mongrel felt dazed, caught unprepared by the chaos that followed upon this event, this gruesome and so cruelly unnecessary funeral. It was the very first time in his life that he had ended the life of another breathing creature (not counting bugs of course - did they even breathe in the first place?) and somehow it felt monumental, like a step past some invisible line of no return.

When had he become this vicious? When, in all his long gray years of loneliness and mental exile, where darkness and silence had been his only companions, had he begun to lash out at others just to soothe the ache within? Perhaps the worst part of it all was that he didn't regret it as much as he probably should. It was a life that lay there before his hooves, once vibrant and full of energy and movement and now transformed into a bloody pile of fur and flesh, of crushed bones and gore, deformed beyond recognition by his own merciless hooves. Why wasn't he crying? Why, when all the forest around him had grown silent in shock and mourning, did he feel nothing but a distant sensation of shock at his own actions?

Empathy would remain useless if it never appeared in the first place.

@[Windwalker]
What if I say I will never surrender?

BackgroundLabs.com

♦ Please tag Morir in all replies! 

Windwalker Posts: 133
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3hh :: 8 Buff: NOVICE
Nanna

I smell blood. The sweet scent of death ride on the wind and find itself caught in my nostrils. Oh, the sensation it brings - and memories. Dark ones, filled with despair, anger and the loss of control. Even after all these years, it makes my heart thunder and the beast awakens. I want to find the source - need to find it, to fulfill what someone else started. It is like a line of dominoes; if the first one falls, the rest must follow.

So I begin to move, sniffing in the air, to find whatever it is that just left this earth. I search without stopping, always on the move like a predator looking for a carcass. I have never claimed I am like everyone else, as I have known from an early age that I am different.

As I walk among the trees still covered in snow, I know I am on the right track. It grow stronger and soon, too soon, the scenario reveals itself. A horse, horned to the teeth and draped in black, stand over something that may have been a rabbit. From the smell, I can tell it is a stallion and that he is covered in blood. What a pityful death he inflicted on the cute bunny, which I am sure had not posted a threat to anyone.

I move closer then, with my head raised high before I call to the beast: "It's a good day for killing things, is it not?" As I speak, I can not keep the humour out of my voice, as I have not met many as myself. If I am in the right mood, I kill everything with a pulse - no matter how cute or fluffy.

@[Morir]

[Image: NannaTable.png]
[Image: 53837ef3a55e5]

I hate and I love. Why, you may ask?
I don’t know, but it’s happening, and I burn.
Please Tag Windwalker In Replies

Footfalls and a cheerful voice interrupt the grim musings of the heathen and break the spell that had him frozen in place. Suddenly on his guard the blind stallion spun around on squatted hocks, light on his feet despite the considerable size but perhaps not as quick as those long legs and deep chest would have suggested. There is a warning stated in the way he lower the head to greet the stranger at knife point, a mild suggestion perhaps that stepping too close wasn't going to end in a hug and pat on the back.

"It's a good day?" the stag replied laconically, voice sounding flat and emotionless despite the deep vibrato that accompanied the bass tones. "I had no idea. Lady Luck must be smiling at me then, since she tossed me yet another flame to extinguish."

A cloven foot pawed the blood-splattered snow menacingly as he stabbed the air with the long spears. The gesture seemed almost playful, but if his words had been intended as a joke the humor was lost between intent and completion as words rolled sharp and dangerous from the tongue. Instead they turned out only threatening, a sensation of impending doom running like cold fingers down a spine... Did the merry madman really think he'd found a kinsman in this swarthy northman?

"Would you like to try dying once, nabo?"

The insult slipped from charred lips like silk running over a sharpened blade and dissipated in the clear air along with the fogged breath. Morir changed his stance, massive hooves spreading wide to prepare himself for a burst of motion...

And perhaps he would have acted upon whatever violent impulse he felt at that moment. But rather than a vicious charge forward to deal further death and torment to this clumsy idiot that had bumbled into his moment of despair, the gargoyle gave off a choked scream and threw himself to the side as thought burned by some invisible flame. Snow sprayed high into the air as he leaped away, only to land with legs spread wide and trembling, tail thick and brush-like - not dissimilar to a startled cat - behind the hocks. A deep, quivering breath left him then, that sounded much too similar to a sob.

He had stepped on the body of the hare...

BackgroundLabs.com

Hidden Account
Nanna

A King may live his entire life without touching the hilt of a weapon, but the his life would be bleak and fruitless. I have no horned skull nor wings to carry me when danger comes. I am locked to the earth, like a tree and it's roots. If I try to be anything I am not, I will end up as a rabbit - crushed and killed.

So I raise my head and draw in the air before I answer his threat. "You will need more than horns and an attitude to kill me." I speak plainly yet calm, as I do not wish to provoke this stallion more. I am in no mood to fight, even over a hare.

I watch him still as yet another threat rolls of his tongue, but this time, I let it pass. Even I know that such threats should not be told lightly, for you never know who owns the ears they are ment for. But I breathe heavy now, as my body demands every ounce of self dicipline to keep it from charging forwards. I need to find a way to calm down, so I open my mouth and speak again. "Have your sire never taught you to treat others as you wish them to treat you?"

I move as I speak, not to keep myself from becoming an easy target, but because I have to. I see his body tense and I brace myself from the impact that will soon occur. It never does, as something utterly interesting happens; The horned one suddenly jumps to the side, screaming like a madman before he hits the ground. Something must have startled him and I suddenly understand what - he must be blind.

I should kill him here and now, to do the world a favour of those who are not fit to live. They take food from others and space - they even pass on their genes to the next generation. But all of those thoughts disappear as I look at the terrified beast. Somehow I know how it feels to be unfit for the world and the neverending struggle to claim a spot among the living, breathing examples of our species. I feel sorry for him.

"Don't be alarmed. It is just the hare trying to get revenge for it's death." I smile, trying to put as much warmth I can into my voice. It is not much, but at least it's something.

@[Morir]

His heart beat rapidly in the chest, it's fleshy rhythm drumming in his ears like a wild dance over hot embers. At some point he had licked his own lips, the taste of blood lay heavy and salty on the tongue and made him want to spit, hiss and choke - had he ever thought it pleasant? Why had he ever longed to feel the hot liquid run thick and rich down the throat, drink it like water from the vein of his foes? It seemed childish now, disgusting and evil in a way he never wanted to become.

The stranger spoke, but if he said something of value it was lost on the crowned raven. He was too busy suppressing the desire to run screaming from this place, escape the scent of death and fear like a coward. His father... what would his father have said if he saw the man he had become?

"My father gouged my eyes from their sockets to keep me alive" he answered absently, voice faint and distant even to his own ears. "He wasn't much for courtesy..." A hefty shudder rippled through his body and exploded out in a clouded sigh, a release of all pretentious threat and make-believe bravery. Morir put away his swords and lowered the head, feeling shame at his own weakness building up within, all while the mountain of guilt pressed down on his shoulders. He'd let a stranger see his madness, his cowardice... As much as he loathed it he couldn't blame the man for the pity that drenched his voice. He hadn't made himself worthy of anything else - not after this.

"Did you want something?" he eventually asks, half turning away from the other presence but reluctant to move - he didn't want to risk stepping on the squishy rabbit carcass again. The sensation of it beneath his foot still lingered, like a foul scent or the feeling of grabbing on to something foul. He wished he could wash himself; alas the rivers were frozen, covered by thick ice and even thicker snow. He would have to live with it - the sensation, the blood on his coat and the knowledge that a life had been lost because of his own stupidity.

BackgroundLabs.com

Hidden Account
Nanna

"What a loving father he must have been."

My loud thoughts has no trace of sarcasm or mockery as I spoke, for I know how they work. Mine too robbed me of my birthright, but I had the heart to rob him of his son. As I fell back into the memories of that cold night, I could not help but wonder what drove me to such a revenge. A laughter was born deep inside my throat, but I did not let it out.

Revenge. It is even sweeter than pain or love. To see those who hurt you tremble before your very being, it is.. I can't even find the words for it. I wondered though, if this blackened soul got his vengeance or if it's still looming over him like a dark cloud. Without thinking, I asked. "Tell me, Stranger. Have you claimed your revenge or is it not in your nature to do so?"

No one can say I am not blunt in my questions and the reason is simple - I live only once. What should I rather be doing if I did not live my life as I please? Should I walk around, bowing my head to each soul that claimed to be superior to me? Or should I hide away and wait for death? I don't think so. I do what I please.

"Oh, I am only wandering about, trying to find my way in this godforsaken land." I answered to his question. What I said, was half true and definitely a lie. "I am Windwalker. Who are you? And not telle me you are a blind, horned stallion, for that I already know."

@[Morir]
OOC: Oh, Windy is in a good mood! yay! :D

Morir turned back, a puzzled expression twisting the handsome features beneath that gruesome mask. "Why would I want to kill the man that saved my life?" he asked, honest intrigue laced through the question. "Brónmór was a good father, a strong warrior and a loving mate. I never resented him - I was born blind, he didn't steal anything I would have missed."

"Either way, he died when I was a yearling... Even if I wanted to take revenge on him it would be much too late." The stag shrugged and dared to step around, careful to bring his feet away from the general direction of the dead hare. For some reason that small, limp body seemed more terrifying than all the wicked horses he had come across since his mother expelled him into this world, more so than both Confutatis and the Red Twins together. He feared it, more than he would ever care to admit - and though he tried to put up a facade of lacking interest and casual relaxation it was far too late to fool the stranger into thinking otherwise.

As the other presented himself and played off his reason for appearing, the young wolf grunted suspiciously. He lingered at a good distance from this Windwalker, reluctant to relax or show openings to someone who so openly approved of death and slaughter. Morir was far from an innocent lamb himself, but to cheer someone on when caught with blood on their hooves and guilt written on the face? His heart was still much too red, too soft and caring for such things, and while his living continuously served to blacken the beating organ, he was still very much young and caring.

"Morir" he huffed reluctantly, then paused to consider how much he should reveal. This stallion... he seemed the kind that Confu would enjoy to see in her ranks, but the death-head stag wasn't so sure he wanted to bring this horse back home. Something about him felt off, or maybe it was just his own reluctance to invite competition where it was unnecessary.
"I came here some weeks ago, I was exiled from my herd and have been wandering since." It was vague, but so had Windwalker been too. At least it was partially truthful - he had been wandering a lot, just not as haphazardly as his explanation might suggest.

BackgroundLabs.com

Hidden Account
Nanna

It is a waste to leave such a good meal on the ground, untouched. The hare have the power to fill my belly for a short amount of time and make me feel bad. Not for it's death, but for the pleasure it will give me to devour another creature. I'll let it be though, as I may retur for the carcass later.

Blackened ears spiked as a shortened tale of life, fatherhood and a curse found it's way to my ears. It puzzled me that someone could not feel any hate or even the slightest bit of anger towards such a fate. I look at him then, measuring the body and the head. "The world have been kind to you then, as many would have fallen if they found themselves in your situation. Even I would struggle." The words could be taken as a compliment and if he did, I had no problem with it. Truth be told, I spoke only of what I saw.

Maybe I should have moved, but as I get to know someone, I like to dance after their flute. To gain access - trust - I can not break the invisible lines. So I keep myself still in the snow, watching him keep a distance. It does not bother me, as such behaviour points to him actually having a fully functional brain. I have met others who fail to establish a limit and those..well.. let me just say that they found my pretty quickly.

"You sound like me." I breathe the words out, stripping them of any form of emotions before I take another breath. Nothing comes out as I have little more to say.

I see now, how the battered and broken are the true heroes of our time. Those who float through life on a cloud of cherry blossoms, never truly live. It is us, we who fight daily to keep our hearts beating and our senses sharp in a world we are not fit to live in. We learn. We adapt. And we conquer.

@[Morir]