the Rift

[OPEN] dancing in your shadow.

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
RUSKE

She did not respond immediately: instead, the words came slowly. Thoughtfully, perhaps. She met my eyes with an even gaze, neither commanding nor aggressive, but aware. Just as quickly, her eyes swept away; I cocked an ear at the ruin nearby, my thoughts whirling alongside the conversation. Preliminary judgment, flawed as it often was, suggested this mare would prove interesting – pleasant even. ”You have been farther across Helovia than I.” The statement came out wry with embarrassment. Uneasy then, I shifted, allowing my attention to waver from the mare and her companion to the nearly surreal quiet of the herd land nearby. If someone else had come… but only I was present. With a nod of my head I steeled myself, thoughts braced to meet the next of her words.

”Isi.” I repeated the name – short and songlike – with a brief nod of my head. ”A pleasure.” However often I had uttered the same words in irony, I was then quite sincere. She appeared pleasant; my eyes shifted to the watchful attention of the dragon on her back. ”And a pleasure to meet your dragon, as well. I have known a few bonded equines, in my time. All worthy of the highest compliments.” Evangeline jumped first and foremost to mind; I shook the recollection off internally. It was no time for nostalgia.

With a sigh, I cast my gaze again at the wall, and the tree beyond, and the turf at its feet. ”Our queen is named Kahlua,” I said in answer to her second question. It was true enough; I knew far too little of any other ruler to describe him. Yet I knew enough, I thought, to address the nature of her inquiry – and resolve her current status as belonging nowhere. ”She is likely somewhere within…” I turned and stepped briefly away, lifting my head to let a long, hoarse bugle shudder from the back end of my throat. Falling silent, I stifled an irritated cough. ”Though I hope she managed to hear that…” Then spread before us a period of waiting, for better or worse. I turned back to the mare, searching my recent memory for some form of distraction. ”You said you arrived here when ‘shadows ruled’…” Merely repeating the phrase sent a damp shiver down my spine. ”What did you mean?”

NursE
world's edge
Image Credit

@[Kahlua] @[Kaj]
[ Tagging you guys bc I think you're the only ones who can accept new members? Somebody smack me if I'm in error :x ]

Messages In This Thread
dancing in your shadow. - by Isi - 03-31-2014, 04:35 PM
RE: dancing in your shadow. - by Ruske - 04-04-2014, 12:28 AM
RE: dancing in your shadow. - by Isi - 04-15-2014, 11:53 AM
RE: dancing in your shadow. - by Ruske - 04-25-2014, 05:22 PM
RE: dancing in your shadow. - by Resplendence - 04-28-2014, 05:41 PM
RE: dancing in your shadow. - by Isi - 05-10-2014, 04:08 PM
RE: dancing in your shadow. - by Ruske - 05-11-2014, 09:20 PM
RE: dancing in your shadow. - by Resplendence - 05-13-2014, 06:20 PM