[DROP] The final task

Kari Posts: 52
Outcast
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15.0hh :: 3 years Buff: NOVICE
Wanderer
KARI
Once we were young and blessed with wings
No sacred place we did not soar

The way back from the cold beach seemed much too long and the colt walked most of the way in withdrawn silence. The feelings of taint and darkness that had seeped into him along with the memories of the sickly critter weighed on him, perhaps more so than even the miracle of lightning from a clear sky. He didn't know much about magic, nor did he fully comprehend how all the elements of the world was tied to a ruling god; but even so the hints and clues that whispered suggestively through the visions left the child with a feeling of hefty unease - like that one time when he had stumbled over a rock and landed face to face with a viper.

When he came back to the Earth Turtle the storm gray hybrid settled in quietly by the others, thawing out of his brooding just enough to look around in curious wonder. The group around the turtle and the egg had thinned out considerably, he wondered what had happened to the rest of the horses. Had they failed the task, or given up halfway through? Somehow this made him feel equal parts pride and guilt, and that feeling only continued to grow as he heard the question the wise old creature asked next.

Kari watched jealously as a small winged filly, just barely older than himself if her size was anything to go by, began making a nest of leaves and branches after thawing away the snow and ice with a brilliant ball of fire. He wasn't sure what made him most envious, that she came up with the idea or the impressive magic the girl had. In comparison, what could he do? Just barely move some sand that in the end didn't do anything, and eavesdrop on people's past like a creepy person. It was downright unfair! Why hadn't he been given amazing fire magic or flashy, loud and crackling lightning to shoot? The gods must hate him, he decided glumly, just barely paying attention to the impressive speeches offered by the filly and a older, really pretty unicorn mare.

When his came turn to speak, the colt shifted uncomfortably under the weight of the collective gazes. After those honorable words, what could he ever say that would make him stand out? He wasn't even sure he wanted that egg in the first place - or that it would be responsible for him to accept it.

"You should probably give the egg to someone else" he mumbled and looked down at his feet, delicate cloves on spindly legs that kept shuffling a small lump of ice between them.
"I don't have a home and my mom is missing, so I just stay with strangers in the Sanctuary right now. I would take care of whatever is in the egg as best I could of course, but compared to them" he said and threw a wry look at the ladies, "I don't have a lot to offer..."

A faint shrug wrapped up his explanation, and as he finally looked up to meet the gaze of the Turtle the boy forced himself to offer the elder a thin smile. He didn't want anyone to think he was feeling sorry for himself. It wasn't true, he had very little to be sad about - he was given a meal every day, had someone to return to that would watch over him as he slept, shelter and protection...

Besides, the current situation wouldn't be forever. He was going to find Shadow, they would return to the Dragon's Throat together and live with the herd like before. He would go watch the ocean and the Seer's Fire with aunt Africa, and maybe one day he would be able to have a real conversation with his dad. Kari was not a victim. He didn't allow himself to be, and there was no way he would allow anyone else to think of him as one.

For now though, perhaps it would be better if he didn't try to save anyone else as well... The boy gave the rounded shape of the egg a long wistful look and sighed deeply, resigning himself to the knowledge that the egg would go to a good person.

code by Tamme image by Ina

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP:42.5
Helovia Hard Mode
Permission granted at all times to use magic and violence on Kari

Messages In This Thread
The final task - by Random Event - 03-17-2014, 10:49 PM
RE: The final task - by Amani - 03-18-2014, 01:10 AM
RE: The final task - by Arah - 03-18-2014, 01:45 AM
RE: The final task - by Kari - 03-18-2014, 05:08 AM
RE: The final task - by Elsa - 03-18-2014, 08:07 AM
RE: The final task - by Random Event - 03-24-2014, 09:21 PM
RE: The final task - by Random Event - 03-24-2014, 09:26 PM