the Rift

[PRIVATE] Like the dawn, I rise again (CLOSED)

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

100%

Inelegantly the parrot skipped across the cooled sand. Beneath the tread of hooves, it was just another substrate, though warm enough during the months of Tallsun to force quickened pace; yet sensitive avian toes revelled as the rough grains streamed between, abrasive enough only to massage the thicker skin allowing her grip to perch at height. Above, when a fleeting glance was passed, she easily distinguished the shadowy silhouette of her companion still circling not too far away, some soft starlight spilled like a waterfall’s intricate mist behind the thrust of his black-as-night wings, and the extravagant tail whose long feathers trailed behind. He blended almost perfectly against the dim backwash of a blackened heaven; the night was his haven, and the day was hers.

She watched (as did he- four sharp eyes devouring the unfolding scene), and the gap was closed between the two Throat mares- the whitest of which was standing with her tail mostly in the parrot’s direction. Though their heads seemed to move to the rhythm of words, Africa could hear them not; they did not call with the raucous screech her avian ears were attuned to understand. She paused, legs trembling, wings folding to rest for a moment against the curve of her sleek, slender ribcage. Travel on foot was no more suited to this form than a camel’s trek through the sea. A centipede slipped warningly to meet her pause from its small den beneath an otherwise insignificant rock and she laughed inwardly at the miniscule creature’s lashing fangs- so shining and black, a stark contrast to the soft glow of sand beneath. It lunged, and suddenly the mare realised her vulnerability (she was not standing upon pillars of pure sinew with boulders at each base), and stumbled backwards, murmuring of mild disgruntlement.

Sohalia had turned her slim, feminine face to find Africa by then, and the familiar melody of her smooth voice filled the void still lingering between. With all the concentration she could muster and gilt eyes clenched together, the mare began to transform. It was not an easy task- despite the many opportunities already found to practice, and all the while her contorting bones and warping muscles screamed their agony to a mind which had all but learned to close itself off. It had become the only way to manage the excruciating feat- certainly it was no easy task for a horse to morph into the small form of a bird, and likewise back again. Perhaps ten seconds passed, she was standing wearily as a one-winged Pegasus again balanced over stiffly splayed legs, recovering her coordination and filling the gasp of empty lungs with the cool, desert air. Despite the ordeal which granted her only method of flight, she threw across a smile and finally stagged to meet the pair.

"Hey Sohalia…" she nodded quickly, her expression embracing the other fondly. She had not been able to form the words given by the other into any logical sentence while shape-shifted, but continued nonetheless to say, "Fine morning! It's so nice to be home again." She turned focus then politely, still swaying a little, and greeted Andromeda, a name which she had thought genuinely might never fall from her tongue again. Though there meeting had been brief (when still Africa had been the free-spirited girl of the past), the star-flecked mare had left an unforgettable impression. "Andromeda, we thought you vanished!"

There was a strident cry, a piercing noise let slip from the hooked beak of the landing zephyr, and Africa’s pale face swivelled with surprise to find the creature staring at the other of his kind. Silas croaked, turning his face to eye the stranger who now perched within the boundaries he had set so instinctively on behalf and Fina and himself. Though the phoenix had never quite regarded him in any other way than hostile- the Roc was not about to let rouges relax in her absence. For his effort, Africa awarded him a firm glare through their bond. "Forgive him, please, I am not sure where this unfriendliness has stemmed from." Her eyes swept back towards the younger zephyr before wandering forward to find the lovely, two-toned gaze of his mare.

image credits
Table and Picture by Nicole <3

Messages In This Thread
RE: Like the dawn, I rise again - by Sohalia - 03-21-2014, 12:56 AM
RE: Like the dawn, I rise again - by Africa - 03-21-2014, 01:28 AM
RE: Like the dawn, I rise again - by Andromeda - 03-21-2014, 02:13 AM
RE: Like the dawn, I rise again - by Sohalia - 03-23-2014, 05:40 PM
RE: Like the dawn, I rise again - by Africa - 03-24-2014, 06:22 PM
RE: Like the dawn, I rise again - by Andromeda - 03-26-2014, 12:50 AM
RE: Like the dawn, I rise again - by Sohalia - 04-10-2014, 05:46 PM
RE: Like the dawn, I rise again - by Africa - 04-14-2014, 05:08 PM
RE: Like the dawn, I rise again - by Andromeda - 04-15-2014, 08:44 PM