the Rift

[PRIVATE] what the hell do i do. [africa!]

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee
@[Africa], we may thread, finally! :D

I stand on miles upon miles of desert where there are probably small animals (probably) burrowing in the sands. It'd be smart for me to hide this egg under layers of sand and just walk away, but I cannot bring myself to do that. Instead, I watch it until the ivory encasing shatters open revealing the head of a legless serpent, I close my eyes for a second. I hope I am not imagining this. I haven't gotten much sleep recently. Immediately after I reopen my eyes, the serpent slithers out of it's egg. I stare at it, half in shock and half in confusion. Do I let it go free or nurse it until it's older than let it go? I chose the second option and left the snake unnamed for now. Note, the stallion with Sabel, had offered the name Shilva, but I was still unsure if I should name it, or let it choose it's own name when it is freed into the wild.

What the hell do I do?

The image of Africa and Silas glitters into my confused brain. She would know what to do, she did, after all, she does have a companion of her own. Could I have a companion of my own? On some level, it feels wrong to steal an animal and make it mine, but isn't that what is supposed to happen? The snake curls around the ground for a few minutes, wondering how to look graceful while slithering, most likely. I am not perfect, neither are the horses around me. We can all make the wrong decision, but there is a chance the correct one will be chosen. Am I supposed to choose for myself?

Will I be able to do the right thing later if I chose the wrong thing now?

I take a deep breath in and allow myself to watch over this young animal. It's a coppered color, but it doesn't blend that easily into the orange sand. It'd probably blend well at home, in the woods. I cannot do anything, but watch the little baby look around with new eyes and allow myself to sigh. My lips part and I call her name. "Africa...?" My soft voice is carried far in the open expanse. I hope she will hear, or else I may be forced into leaving without seeing her. Plus, how am I supposed to carry this animal now?

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

100%

She stood by the northern border, the narrow ledge of rock and rubble guiding north not far from the roam of lightly gilt eyes as they traced quietly, broodingly the crumbling white froth of ocean beyond. It had been maybe only a week since their return to these brutal shores. Still the twisted, beaten landscape bewildered her- the loss of Sohalia’s wall to the hungry jaws of that terrible stew of sea which offered them some resilience and protection from the mainland. Carefully her face drew upwards, long black-tipped ears shifting backwards through the motion, and she could see as through a hazy squint of black lashes that distant cliff-line as only a murky shadow looming. She sighed pensively, unsure how faired the other herds after their ascent from the caves- who lead them now, which morals guided their path.

The sand was warm beneath the weight of her body and radiated beneath the sensitive clutch of her hooves, just beyond reach of the combing waves as they slithered silently to wilt ashore. For some time she stood alone, bathing in the fluctuation of thoughts and worries- the content of which had barely been such a burden through earlier times. A scoff racked through her body, ricocheting between the bars of her long, fine rib cage and she wondered if she too would fall beneath the relentless grip of wearing apprehension that seemed to have engulfed Midas during those last days home; through the length of their stay beneath the earth. She bristled against the temperate breath of the new Birdsong, lifting forward the slope of already weary shoulders, and baring her chin to the sun.

Africa would honour the crown whose dragon’ writhed majestically upon her brow.

The swell of thought; of determination and perseverance was interrupted suddenly, and a sharp snort pierced the tranquillity their by the Throat’s northern beach. The muddled fractions of a vision sent peeled through her listening mind, and the dappled, one-winged mare’s eyes shifted left to find the slight blur of airborne black circling above the bridge to the Throat. Company was already upon them it seemed and with an awkwardly suspicious sigh she parted from her post to find the gold-tinged visitor.

The call had not been received by the mare who quickly approached below; the sharp ears of her companion though were not so primitive, and easily they had deciphered the name of their beloved from the roar of the ocean surrounding. He recognized her (not by name), though the turncoat had matured dramatically from the wilful girl who had toyed so carelessly with the tender heart of his bonded. With a cynical eye fixed to her, the zephyr remained far away, circling through the glary blue arc of sky above.

"Aurelia?" The fragile note of her soul carried along the light breeze of the day. She paused a small distance from her estranged company, face tilting as confusion crept through her expression. The feathers- gold, red and black, rattled crudely where they had been tethered to the mane behind her twitching left ear. She moved no further though, not right away, and cast a chary gaze to fill the space left between.

Africa

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee
Somehow, she comes. She finds me in these vast rolling sand hills; perhaps she was looking for me? I am lacking in the knowledge she has, so I do not know how Africa works. Her brain is a large wilderness, unexplored by anyone but herself and Silas. The grass uncut, bushes untrimmed, and trees that have grown tall and wide. Her mind, to me, is like Helovia's lands. The warmth of this desert, the comforting coziness of the forests I live in. Maybe her mind turns dark like the shadow lands when thoughts of her wing being torn, pulled, or yanked off (I don't know how it happened, for I wasn't there, but I do assume). I can see all these lands in her mind...

All but the snowy steppe or Basin.

Africa's heart is not cold at all. Their seems to be a surplus of warmth and joy encased in her fat heart. I can't help, but compare myself to the dappled mare standing before me. She is healthy, happy, and strong. Whereas I am doubting my ability to care for this simple snake that slithers before me. As the wise mare halts a bit of a ways away from me, she speaks softly. Her voice nearly inaudible to my ears. Still, the tone of her voice laced across my ears. "Aurelia?" I start smiling, then crying.

Crying.

I lunge forwards, towards her. I carefully dance around my snake and by the time I do, I am hoping to stand by her, and embrace her. I try to let my head rest on her withers in the awkward embrace only a horse can do. "Africa! I've missed you so much." I squeal like the child I used to be. I've grown up so quickly. Will she still be mad at me for leaving her?

Was she ever mad?

Water continues to bubble in my ears for a moment, and I attempt to man up some and stop crying. Only a few more seconds and the tears have vanished. My newly golden nose-bridge is covered by my insanely long forelock. Now that I realize it, my hair is way overgrown. My coat is still thick from winter, but I am shedding a lot.

Is Africa going to be coated in my hairiness?

I guess it wouldn't be tooooo bad if she was. A few gold accents on her wouldn't be SO horrible. More like... bad, but not horrible. A gold Africa wouldn't be Africa, now would it be? Rostislav and Voodoo didn't seem to mind. Speaking of which, I have to tell Africa about my rendezvous with those two stallions. "Look, I have a snake friend!" I smile wildly as I retreat a step or two from where I think she is. Hopefully allowing a good distance between us. "Also, Africa... I think I'm going to be a mother." My smile fades to worry as I think about how young I am. I'm TWO, for crying out loud! What is she going to think? "Before you say anything, I need to know if you'd be willing to be the adoptive mother of the baby." I pause for a moment. I take a deep breath and then continue. "She or he's father is either Rostislav or Voodoo... I don't know which." Slowly, my little snake crawls next to my front right hoof before curling up into a coil and falling asleep.

I'm so stupid, confused, lonely, lost, disheveled, angry, sad, but most of all disappointed in myself.

Now, I hold my breath and hope for the best reaction from this mare.

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.