the Rift

[OPEN] them bones

Saphiron Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Helovia.

It had been one stop of supposedly many, but something about this place had utterly devoured her and she let it. It was a great leviathan rearing up from the earth to snatch her from the sky with its fleshy maw filled with the lure of promise, under the pretense of rest, but once its serrated teeth sunk into her soul, it held on fast with an iron grip and she was helpless to its whims like a seafarer pulled from shore in a rip current. A rag doll toy. But she wasn't lost and she wasn't dying; it was carrying her out into vast opportunity, the island of her future outlined in the distance.

It was undoubtedly gorgeous and teaming with vibrant life, that she was sure of, even having witnessed only a minuscule amount of what was offered. In due time she would know this land as her very own. But that wasn't just it. There existed beneath the surface a vibrating spirit that sang to her own as a piece of the whole. A siren's call placed around a net that captured this little dove, preordained. Sometimes she would swear that she could see hear the beating heart of the world, if she stopped and listened.

Even as she vowed to never be tied down, she had watched herself follow a virtual stranger as if it were some bizarre out of body experience. The abbess at the monastery that took her shamed mother in would have had an aneurysm --the thought makes her smile prettily, even as a shock of remorse unfurls somewhere deep inside of her-- and her mother, well, her beautiful and strange and quiet mother probably wouldn't have reacted much at all. Maybe smirk in that detached, sublime way of hers that made even the lithe Saphiron feel clumsy and adolescent.

Something stings in her eyes. Both of her eyes. She squints, blinking rapidly, realizing too late that they are gentle tears that now slide down her cheeks. She misses her mother more than anything, the pain of it so raw and real, but they didn't get along. Never have. Although she never overtly hurt her daughter, she was disinterested. Too kind to be hateful, but still that shadow of resentment was there, somewhere, and sometimes it would darken those starry-dawn eyes in ways Saphiron did not fully understand and perhaps never would. Or she hoped. Her mother was suffering quietly, trapped in an invisible prison, a reminder of her damnation there with her always, a mockery made of her own flesh and blood -- up until recently. They shared their own respective brands of guilt, even after having parted.

But here felt like what she thought others meant when they talked of home. She could not compare it to anything, the experience so unfamiliar. It made her chest tighten and flood with heat, engorged on pride and joy. She felt like sporting a foolish grin for no particular reason, little things triggering it. A bright sun to a black hole of a past, warming away her sorrow with a crescendo of relief, the suffering shed away, replacing it with serenity by reality of here and now.

Such sheer contentment, one fulfilled and yet eager, puts a small hop in her step now whereas before it dragged and the pale cherry of her thick unruly hair bounces with the motion, turning lustrous in the fading daylight.

This is what being in love must be like.

Deciding to give herself a rest, for once, in preparation for future exploring, hugging those clean cut knife-sleek wings to her lean side, the henna hued mare strolls along a wide game path that weaves its way around the mammoth oak and fir. A loon begins to cry in the distance, its haunting song hanging over the lake as if trapped in the thin film of mist, heralding dusk just as it descends upon the forest grove with a certainty as old as death. She pushes through the bush upon hearing the lonely birds begin to sing, with skillful upholding of her own silence, and onto the strip of sand that surrounds the dark waters. She hesitates with her interest in checking out the temperature, one slight hoof dangling above the hyaline surface while her tail swishes idly.

[ooc- Ignore the length, it was from two different days of writing.]

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
A vial of hope and a vial of pain
in the light they both look the same

Peace radiated from the trees. The shadows spoke of solitude – secrecy. I suspected it meant something different to most than it did to me; the occasional smell on the air, the noise of furtive movements in the green, did quicken my blood when I passed them by, but the more fleeting pleasures of life belonged to an era past. Leave the young to their youthful pursuits; I shook my head and moved on.

Though it had drawn me to the Grove previously, curiosity had little influence on my second foray into the trees. The sensation of solitude (however false) pulled with far more strength. If I had grown reclusive in my old age, could I really be judged harshly for it? Things I had done to others – things done to me – wore heavy on my mind. And if the World’s Edge was a land for peace, what would they do to achieve their goal? What would become of them if harder creatures wearied of their pursuit? I was settled – however roughly – among their ranks, but was I a part of them? A lowly creature, stripped of dignity, never possessing grace… The Grove reminded me of a happier past, a history in which I had been welcome and respected (a history I tore apart).

But the trees were not the trees of my old home, and my titles had ground to dust along with that place. Rangy and unkempt, I lurched abruptly from the shelter of the boughs, hooves sighing over the pond’s thin bank. My reflection confronted me, gaunt and uneven: staring. With a snort, I turned away. Movement drew my attention, somewhere ahead: another mare, this one winged. My ears pricked up. I had not been well acquainted with a pegasus in so long… The only such individual I might have considered well-known was lost years ago, a bright spirit disintegrating out of memory.

Perhaps this mare was like that one. Perhaps not; I did not particularly care, in the moment. I had grown strong enough to weary of exploring and eating, and I wondered again about the nature of things unlike myself, such as things that flew. She stood poised near the water, light – elegant, perhaps, in the curve of one forelimb over the blue-glass. I did not wish to disturb, particularly – if she meant to bathe, I might learn if pegasi proved more buoyant than other creatures. And if she did not… well, I lingered in plain sight, if she only wished to turn around.

[ @[Saphiron] I hope you don't mind! Your post was lovely and I couldn't resist. ]

Unregistered

Another mournful cry of a loon plays out and, on cue, a yodeling wail rises up in response. They echo, fading away with the same reluctance she displays over the idea of joining them, quickly shaping the scene into something eerie. Crickets won't have come out yet, Birdsong too young with frost clinging into dawn. Instead frogs begin to lend their voices to the pair on the water for a symphony and something moves in the water, creating ripples that expand outward in slow pulses.

It compels her. That precariously dangling hoof, a darker shade of the luxurious chocolate hue that adorns the swift-winged mare, is finally placed in the water only to be jerked out again. It's freezing if the hiss she emits through clenched teeth is any indication, but she perseveres and begins wading out in an excruciatingly slow crawl. As the lake slowly begins to devour her, the smattering of stars spilled onto its surface shatter as she moves, but the mirrored diamonds strewn across black velvet remain frozen in the sky. When she is submerged to her prominent knees, an unfortunate byproduct of her mild lankiness and thinness, a rustling in the bush flanking her startles her enough that she snaps her head stiffly to view the source straight-on. A surprised but faint 'wrr' noise is forced out of her.

She sees Ruske and her expression brightens. It may not have been him that made the sound, but he is there and all thoughts of the murmurous rattle in the darkness flee. Thinking nothing of it, she begins to drag herself out from the shuddering pool but pauses, the sensation of sand swirling at her feet delightful enough that she doesn't bring herself completely to shore. Just closer to him. He's given a shy, sweet smile that barely pulls her lips back; it disappears as quickly as it had come. Her face is stark, naked with curiosity then and absently she notes that he is monstrous compared to her. A sliver of fear worms its way in, but almost instantly she likes the way he looks. Whereas before she admired the others for their blatant beauty as anyone rightfully a piece of art, but she took a personal affection toward the one standing a few yards from her. It was the furriness and the savagely undisciplined hair of his mane and tail, she decided. His coloring too, appealed to her, the earthy tones outright complimenting, if not blending in to, his surroundings here. An odd thought strikes her; she wonders if she prefers his vivid emerald to the myriad of rejuvenating greens that formed walls high around them.

"I'd say 'come on in, the water's fine', but I would be lying." Her voice is practically deadpan, an attribute of hers at odds with her upbeat, if not sunny, disposition. "And I'm a bad liar."

I am so happy you responded. <3

@[Ruske]

Unregistered

Night slipped past us overhead: a blanket of stars glimmering high and cold, to my weary brain like the distant glow of funeral pyres from a world past. Beneath their joyless glitter rose the strange music of some distant animal, piercing and mournful. My ears twitched to the noise even as my attention weighed on the shape of the winged mare. I must admit some form of apprehension – or anticipation – in the tableau formed by her lifted forelimb. She seemed for a moment frozen, as if the two of us became – so briefly – creatures belonging to another time.

The illusion shattered with her decision; my head lifted as she surged forward, but to such a little depth. I supposed the water must prove cold enough to deter prospective swimmers – much the pity. With stars dancing around her limbs, she turned to me at last. Her eyes were yellow – the color of sunrise. Or perhaps sunset; my gaze shifted, minutely to the darkness of the western horizon. Shadows had already risen up to engulf the sun; true darkness was upon us, dawn a long way off. An aversion to the gloom born of recent memory stirred anxious through my brain, but with irritation I swallowed it back. Between myself and the mare, no darker shadow stirred; nothing wicked breathed on the evening air.

I greeted her expression with a nod, though confusion tickled my thoughts. Was she so lonely even the sight of my ruined figure brought her joy? A pity; she was lovely herself, sleek hide of a color with my own but solid, fringed only by the dark blue of delicate wings. She deserved better company.

At last she spoke, breaking to pieces the brief, breathless silence around us. So nonchalant; I found a smile building in response to her voice. It was unexpected, to say the least – wit speaking to a higher intellect, perhaps? A mind unfettered by the rules of social conduct, tedious as they may become? I will admit I grew tired of introducing myself, as if a name and title explained any piece of me – no fair advantage, to be sure. Head tilted, I regarded her with the bluer of my eyes, tail flicking at my hocks. ”Oh? Do you prefer… discomfort, then?” I wondered. ”Or does this bank seem big enough for only one old man, and not yourself, as well?” I may have moved aside and made room, if she asked – but she did not, and I remained still, watching her. The tone of our meeting recalled that last pegasus I had known – though then I had fangs still, and the might of a king at my back. Sinn… I missed the youthful vigor of his mind. Kahlua was not the same. Helovia… was not the same.

But perhaps the stranger was a pleasant distraction.

@[Saphiron]

Unregistered

"You get accumulated," she murmurs, no longer looking at him, instead staring out over the glass surface of the lake, speaking almost so low that it might not have been for him.

But then those eyes of hers, sunset or dawn -- existing in a perfect balance between the two, one or the other, twin stars fiercely burning, narrow into tiny slits like golden scythes while the dilated black of her pupils glitter cruelly in the cold moonlight. What accompanies it is a mischievous smirk that tugs the corners of her lips up, quickly followed by a barking and hearty laugh. The sound is surprisingly rich and mature, smoky, especially taking into account the youthfulness of her appearance and demeanor. "While no one would doubt you are most certainly a sizable stallion, good sir, you're not so large enough that we cannot both find space on the beach. But... if you insist," she drawls, coyly panning her sharp and elegant profile to him as a pale forelock of silk slides over the flat bridge of her muzzle. She slowly backtracks her steps, lifting her svelte limbs pointedly. The water shudders with her movement, blurring its crystal grace like a dream. "Will you join me, please? Or did you want me to come to you?" One smooth brow arches up high. She shifts her wings, forcing them to droop a bit, as if casually showing off their brilliant ocean blues.

She isn't really flirting, per say, although there is an inherent homey warmth that seeps out of her; it is acceptance and embrace. No subtext laces her words; they're filled instead with an authentic playfulness that transcends boundaries and customs, blind to age and specie and color.

She likes him, though. It will become clear to him in time, perhaps.

He has a little bite that thrills her, subtle in its entrancing qualities. She felt he spoke in such a way, so far, that what he said had a double meaning and she wonders to herself if there could be even more. A fast, sudden urge to peel back his layers overwhelms her. "Who are you?" She suddenly sounds accusatory, a jarring counter to the ghostly humorous tease in her previous set of words; so much so that she notices it and knits her brows together in a submissive, apologetic expression. Her tone grows heavily serious, polite, and straightforward. That easy rhythm she sported is lost, conquered by a sheepishness. "Sorry. I didn't mean it sound like that. My name is Saphiron."

*thwacks* Your writing is gorgeous.

@[Ruske]

Unregistered

There was something about her… almost coy. In answer my heart beat faster, blood running hot and lively under a ragged carpet of skin. The warmth was something like drunkenness, though lucid. I watched with interest the expressive contortions of her face – vivid and wondrous. That so lovely a thing might condescend to play with me I could only answer in bemusement, but I was hardly so virtuous a man as to refuse. I may not know her, but I wanted to.

Stars, cold-burning, stirred around the graceful movement of her limbs, as if afraid to touch her – warned off by the elegant shade she had become, with darkness full upon us both. The rangy length of my neck unfurled, not in any misguided attempt to touch her – she stood too far off – but in a graceless admission of interest. A wiser creature may have turned to face me; my tail swept again, a tangled plume rustling in the dark. Good fortune for us both, perhaps, I was not younger and less disciplined. My head tilted, ears panning back to complement a mild smirk. It was that please -- I answered with a laugh low, guttural and rough.

”Would you have me freeze to death with you?” I answered even as I plunged forward, black-feathered limbs meeting waves of darkness and needles of cold. With interest, I ran a critical gaze across the half-furled structures of her wings – wondering, again, how capable such beings were of flight. I would ask, though not immediately – in the moment I preferred her on the ground. With languid strides I moved forward – perhaps not to draw even with her, but to draw near, hovering behind the wings, mindful of the warmth inherent to her skin. I enjoyed too much the possibility of the moment to ask anything more; I enjoyed too much the ease of forgetting my previous troubles. Mindful of her, I needed only think of her. She was better company than the dark.

”Though it may be called pleasant,” I observed after a moment; water lapped below my knees, tugging at the thin ribbons of hair. I cocked an eye at the stranger, though, noting with interest she stood well below my height – small but refined, larger for the brilliant color of her wings. Those I did wish to touch, and eyed with poorly hidden curiosity. Rather than look away at the sound of her voice, I merely tilted an ear. ”Who are you?” As if I piqued her interest, too.

I breathed out, my features crimped with mirth, as she stammered to correct her tone – so polite. It was not the same grace as the others of the Edge – but something like a mask more easily revealed. ”Saphiron.” I did reach forward then, to brush the bluest feathers for a moment, gauge their softness – if she did not retreat. Withdrawing my neck, I turned to look at her. ”It suits you. My name is Ruske, though I’m afraid it tells you little about who I am.”

[ @[Saphiron] ee <3 your posts are very inspiring ]