the Rift

[OPEN] Detour

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Ruske;;
above all, do no harm.

I studied the mare carefully as she first stepped down the beach. Still weak, she wobbled like a foal; carefully I followed after her, my hooves shifting over the warm sand. I judged the beach to be safe, at least; casting a curious glance to either side, I hoped against my rising skepticism to see some herd mate in the distance, ready to whisk her off, never to hear from me again. No one appeared; I began to despair. In her confusion, she steered me not toward home but to some wild land, an empty place belonging to no one. I blinked after her in some dismay. Perhaps her home, in a past life, had been similar. Pity grew in my heart, entirely unwelcome.

Gladly, I noticed her gait became steadier with every step. Perhaps the cold had worn off; perhaps it was not so terrible as I initially perceived. Withholding my sigh of relief for the moment, I merely paced nearby, prepared to offer support should she require such again – though hoping against the possibility. Surprise and alarm surged through my veins in equal measure as her head dropped to the sand, rubbing like a feral cat the whole expanse of her body, until she laid upon the ground. ”Home…” I blinked; what could I do to intervene?

Clearing my throat, I stepped nearer, ears twitching. She spoke of sleep; I knew she ought not, if she still suffered the effects of cold, but if she were truly tired…Troubled, I hesitated but a moment. ”You should…” But I had no heart to rouse her, nor deny her. I prepared to wake her in a few moments’ time, thus allowing her body the healing benefit of rest but ensuring she did not slip from slumber into a more permanent state. I supposed the sand might do as my tattered hide could not, and soak some sunlight through her skin.

Resigned, then, I nodded and stood over the mare. ”I will stand watch for you.” What could I do if anyone intending harm arrived? Little; nothing. But perhaps the sight of me would warn them off. Perhaps… nothing would happen at all. I turned my gaze to the distant sighing of waves and breathed a sigh, myself. What a strange place.

[ @[Mermaid] Sorry about the wait. Was hoping someone else might want to pop in. ]

Messages In This Thread
Detour - by Ruske - 04-07-2014, 07:20 PM
RE: Detour - by Mermaid - 04-11-2014, 12:36 AM
RE: Detour - by Ruske - 04-14-2014, 06:00 PM
RE: Detour - by Mermaid - 04-30-2014, 12:47 AM
RE: Detour - by Ruske - 05-04-2014, 08:29 PM
RE: Detour - by Mermaid - 05-04-2014, 11:14 PM
RE: Detour - by Ruske - 05-05-2014, 12:46 AM
RE: Detour - by Mermaid - 05-05-2014, 11:39 PM
RE: Detour - by Ruske - 05-06-2014, 01:09 PM