the Rift

[PRIVATE] Violet Sunrise [Lakota]

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

And is it Worth the Wait, All this Killing Time?

It was the sight of violet in a field of otherwise brown and sparse greenery that caught his eye, causing him to stop in his tracks. Just a flash, nothing really out of the ordinary or something that should cause unwarranted attention, a vigil spotted from the corner of warm, honey-brown orbs... Except the very fact that it was violet. A familiar shade of violet. A... Poisonous kind of color. The color meant a lot, for how many times had he seen such a shade before?

Once. Only once... And in the eyes of someone who Apollo suddenly found himself thinking about as his legs took him towards the sight of the tiny, precious violet presence.

When was the first time he had seen such a vibrant shade of eye color? It had been at the beginning of his life here in Helovia, when the Grey thrived, and before it's inevitable downfall... And oh, how those eyes held such emotion. Anger, sadness, mostly indifference... But the Merciful had been on the receiving end of kind glances and soft smiles, but not very often. Not before their home had been stolen from beneath their unsuspecting hooves.

A tired, haggard sigh escaped Apollo's lips, his eyes drooping downwards and to the tiny, violet flower that poised innocently at his feet. It wasn't very often that he found himself thinking of Lakota. Anymore his thoughts were turned more inward, chastising himself for his failures and past transgressions, his inability to lead a herd, to keep a family safe... But for now, right now, on the dawn of a new day, Apollo stood in the Thistle Meadow and allowed himself to think of those that he loved, and ultimately had let down.

His heart ached, his breath heaved, and the stallion's eyes remained locked on the violet flower. Tears brimmed at his eyes as such a terrible, profound sadness swept over him that it stole his breath from his very lungs.

"I'm sorry..." His whisper was choked, blurred around the edges and stuffed so full of terrible emotions. "I'm so sorry..." Oh, what one might think should they walk upon him now, talking to flowers with tears in his eyes? But that wouldn't be different from the norm, would it? For Apollo had always talked to plants... After all, they had never judged him.

So, unable to quell his emotions, Apollo stood over that tiny, violet flower with honey eyes full of unshed tears, as the world birthed a new day.

@[Lakota]

Ooc: Burt! I hope it's okay that I made you a surprise thread? :DD

Are you Strong Enough to Stand, Protecting both Your Heart and Mine?

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit
Lakota
The Poisoner

Even in Birdsong, the water is still chilly. Lakota's teeth chatter softly as she wades in the depths of the river, washing the sweat of her recent run with Aodaun from the technicolor of her canvas. It climbs into her bones like a well-known friend, and makes itself at home with the intention to stay for a while. Her hope is the sun will chase away the unwanted intruder, but it's better than feeling disgusting. Aodaun on the other hand is far more intimate with cold, and his happy yipping is adorable to her as he splashes about in the shallows. He's kind enough to shake his coat free of it away from her as they both climb back to the banks, he running ahead to find a patch of greenery for her to roll in. It's abnormally emerald everywhere, as if the Earth God wanted to make up for the caverns below with the beauty of a vibrant spring season. She trails behind him, all long limbs and easy grace, and sighs happily at the sweet smell of clover and blooming flowers. They are far north, but her intention lays in the southern lands, and she sends Aodaun further down the meadows while she lowers herself. Rolls in the sweet smelling flora, kicking her legs joyously. She'd stopped punishing herself with no stretching, after her meeting with her brother. So she'd begun stretching out the scar tissue, and now it didn't bother her when she rolled about like she did. In a way, she missed that freedom.

Laying loosely in the grass she dozed idly for an uncounted amount of time, a simple pleasure seeping through her veins. It was disrupted all at once with Aodaun shoving his existence into her mind, disorienting her and causing her to snap awake. She held onto that tendril of consciousness, closed her eyes, and saw through his. It was far less green, wherever he was, with dirt more prominent from the snowless, budless earth. But it was who was standing upon it that caught her attention. A familiar dark cocoa form, painted with ivory, sunlight catching the orange of the spiraled horn from his brow. Apollo was an easily recognizable image to her, but what next registered was the fact that he was crying. Soft sounds, words, that she understood. She knew his sorrow, his guilt, even if she knew not what had caused it to flourish in him. He didn't deserve to be plagued by such negative emotions. Her heart squeezed in her chest, claws sinking in like vile thorns with her own poison upon the tips.

In moments she'd rolled to her hooves, shaking the extra crushed tips of grass from her canvas before sucking in a deep breath and letting her legs fall into motion. It wasn't terribly far, but she didn't intend to dawdle either. He deserved her fastest pace, the speediest response to his grief. Huffing softly with each stretch of her legs and thud of her hooves, she regretted having washed herself earlier, for the beads of sweat growing upon her flanks and neck. Aodaun urged her further and she snorted harshly to herself, pushing harder, legs beating the earth to submission. Only daring to slow as his body came onto the horizon, breathing a little harshly, letting it slow and even out as she walked towards him. Concern for him drew her brow tight. He was too pure, too selfless for bad things to fall upon him. She only wished whatever it was, it wouldn't have happened.

"Polly?" Title is hesitant, as it falls from her lips. Is she the right one to be around? After all, he and Ktulu were far closer. Pain bit at her heart but she shoved it aside. She would not dare to be so selfish in the face of her dear friend's agony. Venturing closer, she reached out to brush her muzzle tentatively against his shoulder, should he allow it. Swallowing nervously she cleared her throat, trying not to feel overwhelmed. "Please don't cry, I hate to see you in pain," she grieved, voice tight with emotion inspired by his own sorrow. Stepping closer she walked sideways to better look at him, frowning, eyes dark with pain at the fact that he was in such a state. "What's wrong? How can I fix it?" Was she being pushy? She feared she was, but she was so overwhelmed by her own concern to desire to fix what caused him to be in such a disheartened state that she could hardly afford to care.

-----

OF COURSE IT IS!! :D I love surprise threads!!!

@[Apollo]

Chunga-Stock

Sometimes Apollo wondered if there was some higher force, some kind of higher power looking over him and watching out for him, and that whenever he got into these little emotional funks, that said higher power would throw something in his way that would irrevocably help the situation.

Like now, for example... One minute the stallion stood over that pretty little violet flower, tears staining the fur on his cheekbones, his tortured mind wondering the mysteries of life and love and how he had let everyone down... And the next, a body was moving towards him, thundering through the morning light, violet irises focusing on him and hesitantly whispering 'Polly?', and it's absolutely beautiful, because her voice is music to his ears and he was no longer alone.

"... Kota?" Her tenderness far outweighed any bitterness that the Poisoner might believer herself to have, but Apollo had no strength to tell her that. Not when she was approaching cautiously and touching him as though he may break. Which, perhaps, it wasn't too far from the truth. Once, Lakota held the title of Earth Medic and had mended those who needed aid... And even though the Foothills had been stripped from them, she was here, healing his damaged, forlorn heart.

"Lakota..." Even as she stepped away to put more distance between them, Apollo's tearstained brown eyes continued to watch her, a window to his suffering, to his fear, to his guilt-ridden soul... "I..." What was wrong? That was the true question, wasn't it? What was wrong?

He had been okay. Apollo had been holding himself together pretty well until his gaze had wandered upon the innocent violet flower that still lay at his hooves, but instead of that pretty little flower... His eyes focused on the violet eyes of the mare before him. Always loyal, always steadfast and determined and so damn good... Apollo didn't deserve her kindness.

"... I'm sorry," the words came then, a flood of emotional word-vomit that the black and white overo couldn't hope to contain, rising like bile in his throat and demanding to be spout out, "I failed everyone. I tried to keep everyone safe, and I just... I couldn't, Kota, I couldn't help them. I couldn't save anyone, and now I'm..." Alone. So alone.

Without thinking, without caring of preamble or personal space, Apollo turned his head towards Lakota and pressed his damp cheek to the side of her neck, always mindful of where his horn lay, and let the tears continue to fall anew. "I don't want to be alone anymore."

@[Lakota]

Lakota
The Poisoner

As if in a dream, his eyes turn to her, the same warm honey she'd always remembered. Everything seems to be moving agonizingly slowly, and she wonders if it is appropriate to run into his embrace. After all, her emotions towards him were quite possibly different from the ones he harbored for her in return. Perhaps it was best to keep mum about such things, especially with the conflict etched into the handsome lines of his face. Wetness glistens on his dark cheeks and her frown deepens, her own visage crumpling uselessly in a pathetic display of emotional turmoil, feeling his pain profoundly as if they shared one body and soul. Lips move, but it takes her a hesitated, lingering breath in her lungs for it to register that it is her name. Nickname really, a tender alternative to the full length of her title, an echo of her own fond calling. Hesitantly she nods, stepping a little closer, eyes hopeful and full of worry that is nigh overflowing in a replica of his tears. She wants to rush to him and take him in, press him close and rock him like a foal entrenched in night terrors, but fears that he will not receive her as she wishes.

Again her name echoes in his mouth and it tugs at her very soul, to see the normally eloquent stag unable to put into words the agony he feels so acutely. Fears that if it is something so deep, that she cannot in her mediocre abilities heal him of it. Without the magic of the Earth Father...is she even still capable of mending? Or is she now doomed to be returned to a lifestyle of destruction?

Apologies come first. Violet eyes widen, surprise coloring every feminine feature she views in her reflection, and cannot help the instinct that drives her into two hesitant steps; elongates them into a hurried travel to his side, harks acutely tuned to his whirlwind of words. Soft crooning comes instinctively from her lips, cooing him into peace, a remembered lifetime of her sister's nightmares and loneliness rushing to her aid.

"No, Apollo, no...you've failed nobody, Polly," she fiercely whispers, welcoming his touch, the cool kiss of tears against the arch of her neck. Presses her muzzle in return to the lift of frame where his shoulder is joined, breathes in his scent softly, and shudders with relief. "We were all powerless, Polly. Nobody blames you. We all tried, Apollo, you gave your whole to us...nobody could dare to ask for anything else." Her conviction is strong as she speaks, even as her tone is softer than goose down as it envelopes him. It is adoring, completely endeared to this sensitive soul that clings to her so trustingly.

For so long she had been the poison she wielded, driving all others away with the debilitating mists cloying in their throats, leaving her in solitude. Even in that moment she was astounded that Apollo clung to her. She was everything wrong and tainted in the world, and her own tears pricked at the backs of her plum orbs to know that he was in enough grief to find solace in the touch of a damned angel. "You are never alone, Polly. I will always be here, I swore myself to you and I will follow you to the ends of the world." An oath, one she had not anticipated ever speaking aloud, having always assumed Apollo simply knew that she would die for him in the next instant. Tucks her face into his shoulder, overwhelmed by her own emotions, feelings Ktulu had unlocked and encouraged to grow. They are still so new to her, and they frighten her, but Apollo's grief frightens her more. If it means saving him from it, she will overcome any obstacle, any personal grievance or shortcoming.

"Hush, Polly. It's okay now. I won't let you be alone, and neither will Ktulu. We can stay here as long as you need. I'll remain." This time it is whispered, but it holds more weight than any preceding words. A promise to stay there for an entire fortnight, never moving, if he needed that length of time to feel strong enough to face the world once more. Until then, she would allow him to find shelter in the arch of her neck, in the darkness of her body, and let him discover his fortitude on his own terms.

Chunga-Stock

Lakota's sweet vocals reach his ears, soothing and warm and endearing, but Apollo's heart felt numb to it all. What was wrong with him? Why did he feel so heartbroken, so... Torn apart by this? Why was he so troubled by something that had been out of his control? Lakota was right; it wasn't his fault. He had done everything in his power to help the members of the Windtossed Foothills, taking them from danger and urging them to safety when Helovia had gone fucking crazy... But had it been enough?

Had it even mattered?

The stallion remembered a crisp, cold night, covered in blood, shit-brown mud and drenched in rain water as he battled against Confutatis, not only for his right as Chief, but for his very life. Not only had his herd stood behind him as a beacon of support and pride, but those that he had met at one point in his life had arrived to watch. They had come to lend their silent aid, believing in him when Apollo himself hadn't...

And it had led to his victory.

Was it true, then, that he had let them down? Or was it just the fear of letting down others that made him believe that he had let them down? Was he doing any better by hiding his face with shame? The answer came with startling, heart-numbing clarity. No.

"Oh, Kota," he breathed out upon that revelation, tear-stained cheeks still pressed close to the Poisoner's neck, relishing in her closeness, her scent, her love and adoration. The sobs that shook his girth and shoulders began to cease, but he did not move to lessen the distance between them. "I... I'm no longer a Chief of yours to swear fealty to. I'm just... Apollo." Perhaps a part of him would always be 'the Merciful', for it was a part of him that would never go away, but now... Now, was it time? To start anew? "But I appreciate your devotion, and your... Your presence. I... I've missed you more than I realized."

Which was true. Lakota could be many things; friend, enemy, caretaker, warrior, medic, protector... But Apollo felt the stirrings of something in his breast that he just couldn't explain. The blue roan was a friend, a beloved friend, and someone who he held dear. She had always been there for him, even back when they had barely known one another and the Grey was their lives.

Sucking in a large lungful of air, his breath shuddering and quivering with emotion, Apollo blinked large, honey-brown eyes slowly as he finally shook off the last of his emotional sobs. Standing here, wrapped in Lakota's loving and protective embrace... It was easier to see that this wasn't his fault. That none of this was his fault.

"I'm glad that you're alright, Kota... Have you been well? And okay? Since... Since the caves?" Since she was injured and covered in blood, he meant, but Apollo was too much a coward to ask the question so bluntly. It had never been in his character to ask something like that, anyway. "Do you call anywhere home now?" Only when the question left dark lips did Apollo shift in his stance, regretfully pulling himself out of the Poisoner's comforting embrace. His ears swiveled forward, and although soggy tracts of tears still stained his cheeks, it was clear to see that the stallion had gotten a hold of himself once again.

His mind felt clearer, like he could finally breathe, like he had been drowning in deep, dark cold waters and the one to bring him to safety and breathe life into his battered lungs had been this beautiful she-warrior in front of him. Beautiful... And why had Apollo just now realized that?

@[Lakota]

Lakota
The Poisoner

Silence is all that meets her soft, encouraging sounds. It doesn't matter to her that he is unresponsive, suspects that he is consumed with his own thoughts. Instead she gives him what she can, the comfort of nonsensical sounds and the warmth of her body to hide against, open and welcoming to him. His soul was too bright for this tainted world, and so she shielded him with her own darkened fates, wrapping his innocence in her ruined remains to keep him safe from that which had already destroyed her. Waited out the storm inside him, for him to find the calm after the destruction had passed, the real peace that the eye of the storm could never hope to compare to. It came in time, a revelation that interrupted the sobs that shook his frame and stained her crest in the warmth of his tears. Dark harks lifted to listen patiently for the words that came in moments, to give him the respect of caring for words that he'd been too alone to share with anybody else.

A soft, chiming laugh escaped her lips. Turning she pressed herself closer to Apollo's painted coat, amused and endeared in equal parts by his words. "It is not your title of Chief that I swore fealty to, Apollo. I meant the words themselves; I swore to you, as a singular being, as a stallion. You say you are just Apollo...but that is whom I follow." Again she laughs, tucking her face into his hide in a shy attempt at concealing the sound. Is he truly so unaware of her thoughts towards him? Of the loyalty that she holds for him, the willingness to do anything and everything for him, or in his name? "You are blind to your own worth, Polly. I am not. I would follow you in any endeavor, I would lay my life at your hooves, is that truly so strange? You are worth that to me." So few had ever shown to be worthy of such dedication, but Lakota did not see why it would ever be a shocking notion. Just as Apollo had said how he was just Apollo, she was just Lakota. She may give her life for him, but was her life truly so important as to touch him in any way that she would offer it up to him?

There's no reason to respond to what he says, she merely smiles in response against his hide to let him know that she has heard. She has always heard, even when he does not speak. He is known to her, he is family and friend in one, an open book telling her stories he is unaware he's writing. In silence she reads him, letting him work through the internal struggles and mazes of his mind. One he introduces to her as he speaks once more, reminding her of the caverns and the scar upon her back. Falling quiet as he moves away she watches him, considering her words.

"I have been...okay. Adjusting to all these changes, to having no allegiance to the Foothills any longer." It is an answer to both questions, in part. Clay beads click softly as she shakes her mane out, unbothered by the clinging of tears to the opposite side of her crest. She smiles at him, almost shyly, confidence wavering now that she is faced with the honest, soulful gaze of his amber eyes. "Ktulu and I found each other once more after the wraiths dispersed. Together with Archibald, we decided to join the World's Edge." Aodaun slips to lay upon his belly in the grass between her legs, at peace in the presence of the stallion. Despite the smile curling her lips she wonders how Apollo will receive the information, if he will approve of the home the three had chosen.

Chunga-Stock