the Rift

[PRIVATE] Strike a Match, I've Had Enough Dark

Muriel Posts: 54
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 6 Years 4 Months
Brit

Bloodied, broken teeth sink into her neck, and pain rips through her like a jagged knife. She can feel the hot slide of blood down her throat, feel the fluttering of her pulse pounding desperate, the trapped bird of her heart pulsing in a feathered frenzy against the prison of her ribcage.

She wakes up screaming.

By the time she realizes that the awful sound is actually her, she's nearly out of breath. Aware of Leliel beside her, she tries to quiet herself, but the sobs that shake her can't be quelled as easily as she wishes. Wings come forth to hide her crown, tucking below them, hugging herself because she has learned that nobody else will. Tears are hot on her cheeks as she remains stuck in that awful nightmare, brushing her own feathers against the liquid on her cheeks, imagining it was someone else wiping them away so tenderly, so lovingly. It wasn't to be, but it comforted her nonetheless.

Only when the panic dissolves the white noise in her ears does she hear the echoing of her own sobbing, realizes how annoying she must sound. That's a word she's heard a million times. You're so annoying, Muriel. Don't be such an annoyance, Muriel. It quiets her faster than anything ever could compete with, shame welling inside her like a balloon with an infinite amount of air on the other end. She shuffles a little farther away from Leliel, praying she hadn't woken him up, because Gods knows he would be infinitely annoyed if she had done such a thing to him. He deserved all the sleep and care she could manage, and she'd messed it up, even when she was the one who wanted it.

Quietly she murmurs to him, if he is so inclined to listen to her anymore- she likely annoyed him with her horrible sobbing after all. "S-Sorry," she whispered, clearing her throat softly.

Muriel
there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in
Image Credit

Leliel Posts: 55
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 9
ali

LELIEL</style>
 Art by Blu
 Code by Boom Boom</style>

I am not unaccustomed to nightmares or night terrors, though I have them more now than when I was younger. When I was younger the nightmares were of the childish sort that mirrored my everyday life. Like being made fun of, being used by fillies to make colts jealous, being punished by the elders for things I didn't do. I even had nightmares about Muriel following me around forever. I never thought that what I would be the one trailing behind her. Or that being around her wasn't the nightmare that I always thought it would have been. It was actually quite pleasant and as time dragged by I found that I was getting more and more accustomed to her company and actually enjoying it. I suppose part of the reason for that was because I had essentially spilled my guts to her and she to me. Its probably safe to say that we understand one another a little better now than we ever had before.

I'm dozing when she wakes me up screaming and at first I'm annoyed at how loud her voice is and how it echoes in the cave that we're in. My ears are pinned tight against my head and my eyes remain closed until the sound stops and is replaced by sobbing and the shuffling of her hooves. I turn my head in her direction and stare unseeingly, wondering what she had dreamed about that had made her scream the way she had and cry so shortly after the screams stopped.

"S-sorry."

I stay quiet for a moment, letting the very faint echo of her voice die before I finally speak. "Its only a nightmare." It may sound harsh, but this is coming from a man who has lived in his own personal nightmare for more years that he could care to count. "Its not real." Its a a half-assed attempt at making my previous statement a little less harsh because I know I shouldn't be mean to her. Not when she's done so much to help me.

What would she do if I were the one having the nightmare? I think back to when she found me stumbling through the forest and I know that she would offer me comfort. So I should do the same, shouldn't I? Isn't that a part of learning how to love? Tentatively I stretch out my right wings because I remember that she had been on my right side. I pull my wings toward my side before stretching them out again like I'm beckoning her to come to my side and I am. When she gets close enough I'll drape my wings across her back and let her stay pressed against me until the shock of her nightmare wears off.

"."

NIGHT FALLS AND I'M ALONE.</style>

Deceased
Brit

By the shuffling beside her and the change in breathing pattern, Muriel can tell she has awoken the stallion to her left. For a few long, tense moments she's sure he's going to yell at her. Or worse, completely ignore her. It was sad that she would find more comfort in him screaming himself hoarse, calling her every degrading name in the book, than in him completely ignoring her existence. Not that he truly could, with his impairment, but it was a valid fear in her mind. Always had been. After all, Muriel had suffered through all of Leliel's tantrums as a filly, bore every harsh word and hurtful slur, and never once was she ignored. She made herself be noticed, if only because she was terrified of him leaving her behind for good. In truth she might deserve it, for all the trouble she'd put him through, but she was hopelessly in love and wanted only to spend the rest of her days peaceful, worry free, and happy with him at her side. Now, it didn't seem like a child's fantasy anymore. He had asked her to teach him how to love. Muriel had more than enough to spare for the both of them.

But then he is speaking, and though it is harsh and gravelly she only hears it for a moment, and then he is gruffly speaking the rest, wishing to comfort her. Muriel is fluent in the language he speaks with his body and words, and she smiles tearfully as she recognizes the silent desire to comfort in his tone. "It's real to me. I saw it happen, when we were coming to the Sanctuary...but this time, I was the victim. B-But you're right, it's not real..." She murmurs softly to herself at that, and wouldn't have caught the reflective look upon his face at all. Not until the movement of his wings caught her eye, and she turned to watch him beckon her closer with a curl of the tips. She didn't even hesitate, it was an offer she'd been waiting for for years. Shuffling over on sore knees she curled beneath his wing, hesitantly wrapping her neck around his shoulder to place her head against his heart. It was a soothing, constant beat, and it chased the monsters back into their holes to hear him alive and steady beside her.

"Thank you, Leliel," she murmured softly, smiling against his chest so he could feel her lips moving into the expression. She remained that way for a few moments, peaceful, and began to doze in and out of sleep. With him by her side, it was beautifully simple. No monsters could reach her here at his side.

Only when a random soul came charging into the cavern, crying out the news of the freedom they had sought did she jerk against him in surprise and lift her head a little. Free? The plague was gone? So shocked was she that no words came to her tongue, and instead she turned to stare up at Leliel, shocked. "Lele...we...we can leave!" Her wings shook like eager birds, restless to touch the skies once more. And she would take him with her, would teach him to fly once more, and if he could not then she would never fly again. Not without him. It wouldn't be the same.

Muriel
Image Credit

Hidden Account
ali

LELIEL</style>
 Art by Blu

I'm frowning when she says that the dream was real to her because she had seen it happen. Obviously I had no such luxury of seeing whatever terrible things had brought on such nightmares. "It's gone now." I say, referring to the nightmare that had shaken her so badly. "Its just us here, you and me." My voice has grown softer, the guff edge to it lost if only because instinct dictates that gruffness does not equate to soothing and soothing is what I'm attempting. The whole concept is foreign to me but I feel as if I'm doing it right because I can feel her body press against mine and I let my wings drape across her back and I cradle her against my side.

My mouth suddenly feels dry as she rests her head against my chest and murmurs her thanks. I swallow and nod my head, hyper aware of the curve of her mouth as she smiles against my skin and I can't help but wonder just what the hell is wrong with me. Why does my body choose now to react to a mare that I had been trying to avoid all my life? Why don't I hate it as much as I always told myself I would? "You're...." I swallow again and the muscle in my shoulder twitches. "You're welcome."

This is what I'm supposed to do, right? This is comforting, wasn't it? Was this what she wanted from me? Am I doing this right? Why am I so worried about it now? And why am I nuzzling her ears?

I jerk my head up when I realize what I'm doing and at the same time some poor sod comes running in shouting that we're free. The darkness is gone. Well, the darkness from their world might be gone, but my darkness isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I can feel her looking at me and the excitement and hopefulness in her voice in unmistakable when she says that we can leave. I remain motionless until I feel her wings shaking beneath my own and then I slowly lift my wings so she's no longer cradled against my side, but free run after the messenger who's hooves are now just echoes in the cavern.

"."

Deceased
Brit

His voice is like silk to her, gruff as it is, and her ears strain to catch every syllable falling from his lips. It shudders across her like a tidal wave, easing the tremors from her body, tucking her close to him as she seeks those comforting auras that seem to exude from him no matter the awkwardly discordant sound of his voice. "Its just us here, you and me." Her heart warms and aches all at once, a maelstrom in the cage of her ribs as he lures her into the darkness she'd willingly stumble into for him. Is it just a ploy, to comfort her? Because she will take it like a starving beast, ravenous for the love he can give as freely or regimented as he wants. "That's all I ever wanted," she whispered, hesitant to say the words, but taking a leap of faith into the darkness he had woven around her. It was all she'd ever dared to hope for, the two of them against the world, in their own little bubble of safety and love.

Okay, perhaps not a bubble, but as he holds her closer- of his own will!- maybe it's close enough. He's warm, his scent so strong, and it makes her limp and complacent within moments. How could she hope to say no to him? Even her nightmares shudder and cringe away at the sight of him, so powerful a hold he has on her being. But she's oblivious to her own effect on him, to the way he worries and his heart beats a tad too fast. After all she's just...Muriel. Why would she have such a profound influence on someone like Leliel? It's inconceivable to her. All she knows is his warmth, his soothing scent, the lift of his breast as it swells against her cheek with each breath that tells her that he's there. That he's alive, here with her, and not dead in the Threshold where she'd miraculously found him. She blinks, a little surprised by the sudden touch against her ears, but can do nothing to protest. It feels so pleasant, and in moments she's melting against him, pleased sounds murmuring on her lips. Were she feline, she'd be purring at the sensation. Her body shivers against his in delight, only for a bereft sound to escape her lips as he suddenly jerks away. She follows him instinctively, wanting the soothing touch back, only to catch herself and fall quiet and pleased against his chest. This is home to her. Right here against his heart, safe and protected in his embrace.

But she ruins it. Her excitement lifts his wing, and her heart seizes, anxiety coming back full force. "No, no no no no!" She can't breathe, she feels bare and exposed, and her breath is getting choppy as she reaches for his wing to pull it down upon her. "Please, please not yet, please," she begs, needing his warmth around her to feel safe with the shadows of her nightmare still lingering. She feels as if they're in the background, ready to pounce on her the moment Leliel lets her go. "I'm sorry," she whispers thickly, voice clogged with fear and emotion. She feels small and helpless, and her shuddering has gone from excitement to despair as she crawls closer to him, hoping she hasn't ruined it all.

Muriel
Image Credit

Hidden Account
ali

LELIEL</style>
 Art by Blu

"That's all I ever wanted."

She leaves me to mull over the words she's just spoken and I find myself growing more and more confused. What was what she wanted? The nightmares? The constant darkness? Or was it the fact that I had her tucked safe and sound under my wings? I can't help but think that I am a fool at that point for even wondering what she had meant. How long had Muriel hounded me, called me her boyfriend, proclaimed her love for me? Somehow she managed to spin a web and catch me in it and I'm not even struggling to escape.

No sooner had I lifted my wings to allow her to leave she is begging me not to. I am confused and that confusion often reflects in a look of annoyance and I can feel it on my face. Maybe I am a little annoyed, too. Why are mares so confusing? She had wanted to go moments before, hadn't she? So why when I let her go did she beg me not to? My teeth click together as I lower my wings again and drape them over her back and cradle her against my side again. As she apologizes I can hear the fear in her voice and my ears tilt back against my head. Was what she had witnessed really so frightening?

"Its okay." I murmured as I felt her press closer against my side. "We can leave together." Since when was I the nurturing one? The feeling is completely foreign and not one I think I could ever truly get used to.

"."

Deceased
Brit

Poor girl, she had no idea how much grief she caused Leliel in those moments of fluttering panic, like a small startled bird. But she can sense his frustration with her, and goes meekly quiet, head low and eyes roaming the scores her hooves had left in the dirt during her nightmare. Certainly she is confusing, there is no doubt about that, even if the mare herself is a rather simplistic creature. Perhaps it was the simplicity that so confounded those around her. Regardless, the maiden was not keen on further irritating her beloved, not when he had obliged and returned the soft feathers of his wing to rest once more over the soft pinks of her canvas. It still hurt her heart to know he wouldn't be able to see her ever again. Would he ever be able to find love, so dependent on her as he was? Was she keeping him back, and he was concealing his hatred merely because nobody else was offering to help him?

The coral fae kept these thoughts to herself, knowing Leliel would object to them, but no longer having the faith to trust those words any longer.

Either way, it was time to leave. They had no home to return to, Janet was the only home Muriel had ever known, but she loved Leliel too much and hated those who had blinded him even more to so much as contemplate returning to those gold-haloed clouds. For a few slow seconds she listened to his breathing, her own eyes closing to shutter plum away behind powder pink lids, hearing life as it shuddered from nostrils to lungs in his body. A reminder he was there with her. It was still hard to comprehend at times. There was nothing at all special about her, so what was keeping him around?

"Can you just...stay like that, while we move?" Hopefully this would clear up a little bit of confusion on his end, for her to allude to why she had so frantically demanded he bring her back close to his side. Tentatively she moves to hopefully brush her soft pink lips against the curve of his neck, breath warm as it billowed against his skin with each exhale. Enjoying his familiar scent, the warmth of his body. Leaving the caves was a necessity, but at the very least, it could wait.

Muriel
Image Credit

Hidden Account
ali

LELIEL</style>
 Art by Blu

I am no mind reader, I never have been and I've never claimed to be, but at that point I wished I could read Muriel's mind to understand what she was thinking. There was no way for me to know that she felt we didn't have a home too return to because Janat had treated me so badly. There was no way for me to know the depth of her feelings for me at that point. I would deny it if she had spoken them, anyway. For so long it had been beaten into my head that I was not worthy of any sort of affection. None was even bestowed upon me from my own parents. Anyways, had I known she was thinking that we didn't have a home I probably would have insisted that she return to Janat because she would have been safer there. I was the only one who had never been safe, but I was used to it.

For several long minutes silence reigned and I was close to slipping back into a doze, but then Muriel's voice rang out. At first my ears fell back against my head at her request because I thought it strange, but then I acquiesced and rose to my hooves, waited for her to rise then draped my wings across her back. "I need you to lead me." My request was a quiet one and she would know how it pained me to have to ask for help when I never had to before, but I didn't know these caves. In my blinded state I would probably end up lost forever in the caverns and someone would find my body after my flesh had rotted away and all that was left was bones.

I kept my wing securely across Muriel as she led me through the caves and when I finally felt the sun on my back I sighed. I was always told that I was a creature of the darkness, but I enjoy the sun as much as anyone else and after weeks of being locked away underground I openly welcomed it. I stretched all four pairs of my wings out to soak up as much of its rays as I could, my head lifted toward the sky and I realized not for the first time that I would probably never feel the wind under my wings again. The elders had taken far more from me than just my sight. They'd finally managed to take all of my freedom from me.

"."