overboard

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
there's a monster living under my bed
whispering in my ear
there's an angel, with a hand on my head

she says I've got nothing to fear

I will admit to a small degree of guilt which, once born, wormed deeper into my mind the longer I yelled. She stood cowed, head lowered, but I truly doubted any understanding -- which I tried so desperately to impart. Foals born to those so young of age suffered too often from the inexperience, the recklessness… I snorted upon falling silent, my chest heaving, lungs protesting the extent of their use. Supposing the mare at least a little sorry for her lack of composure, I was taken aback, then, by her sudden and overt change of manner.

Her massive wings snapped open first: gleaming pearly in the shadows. They added mass and a strange degree of strength to her silhouette; surprised, I stepped back, suddenly wary. Perhaps I had judged her too simply on our first meeting… Fire began crawling over her outline – Phoenix help me – and I stepped back again, true fear usurping anger. With a concerned glance at Aylin and the child, I glanced back to Aurelia, thoroughly confused. Did she mean to hurt me? Appropriate enough a death, I suppose, considering my treatment of Roanne… but she spoke instead, words wholly unexpected – so much so I failed to understand at first. My ears turned back in the face of her fury, pressing hard against my neck, and despite the anger in me a moment before, I stepped back again, all but cowering…

Fortunately, Aurelia took the opportunity to leave rather than to enact violence. I only managed to stare in confusion as she turned, wings fanning the air. The flames died as she took flight, the child running along behind her… the child! “She isn’t my responsibility!” I roared in protest, angered anew and finding courage as I suspected she would not turn around. Indeed, as her burning outline faded, she disappeared from sight, rising into the storm-heavy sky without a second thought. For a long moment I stared after, ears pinned, as the child crumpled to the earth. “I hope the lightning finds you,” I grunted, tail lashing.

But of course, I had other matters demanding attention. I spoke to Aylin as I approached the girl, my head tilted, eying the ill-formed plumage upon tiny wings. Her mother… Then she knew Evangeline. I breathed a sigh. “Yes. She resides in the World’s Edge with myself and many others. She is… well.” An odd stirring answered in my chest when the girl inquired after a father. It was not my news to give, but with no one else present, I merely blinked at her. She couldn’t be very old… frightened, lost to the large world. “I don’t believe your father makes Helovia his home, anymore.” Softly. I found my anger dying, replaced by an utter chill, something like winter sweeping through my bones. I returned my gaze to the child – Faeanne? No mother now, no family… What had that foolish mare been doing, having herself bred, only to sacrifice her progeny for what? Pride?

I swallowed past something – something difficult, in the back of my throat. “I will not ask that you accompany me, but I think this child needs attention. I will take her back to the Edge. I would be glad for your company, but I won’t force you to go anywhere you don’t wish to.” I blinked again at the child, finding my voice strange and distant – flat. “I would not assume… I know what is best for you.” For anyone, I wanted to say, painfully aware of past mistakes. Slowly, I reached down to nudge the child, hoping she did not interpret the motion as attack and try to flee.

“We should go home now,” I murmured, wearily. “Faeanne. Perhaps your mother is there, waiting for us.” I knew it a lie and yet I voiced it anyway, unable to think of anything better, aware only of a hollow growing in me when I looked at her. Though I hardly deemed Aurelia a suitable guardian, I supposed my certainty of the foal’s ill-fortune fell more on the side of experience in that arena – I knew too much of how children died. I wanted, though it pained me, to ensure this one met no similar fate.

[ lol, I am definitely surprised! xD But totally down with this ]

Messages In This Thread
overboard - by Aylin - 05-04-2014, 07:49 PM
RE: overboard - by Ruske - 05-04-2014, 09:04 PM
RE: overboard - by Aylin - 05-04-2014, 09:52 PM
RE: overboard - by Ruske - 05-04-2014, 10:14 PM
RE: overboard - by Aylin - 05-04-2014, 10:41 PM
RE: overboard - by Aurelia - 05-04-2014, 10:58 PM
RE: overboard - by Aurelia - 05-07-2014, 08:54 PM
RE: overboard - by Ruske - 05-05-2014, 12:16 AM
RE: overboard - by Aylin - 05-05-2014, 09:26 PM
RE: overboard - by Ruske - 05-07-2014, 11:44 PM