the Rift

[PRIVATE] This isn't the notebook.
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme
Ophelia the Forsaken

Ophelia smiled distantly as Torleik asked about her father, and she took a deep breath, almost able to taste the salty air of the land she was born in - the Moonlit Tides. "When I was born, my father was the longest leader a land called Isilme had ever seen. He ruled over a stretch of beach called the Moonlit Tides, and he was the first to allow those of all bloodlines into the sacred lands. My mother, even, was a normal equine. He ruled tightly, challenging any who threatened the peace he fought hard to keep," she explained quietly, able to recall life on the beach as easy as she could yesterday's travels.

"He mentioned, now and again, where he came from, since those in Isilme called him a newcomer and an upstart. The land was called Dorngarrow, which he said was burned to ash by his father, Riekahn. Apparently Riekahn leads his brothers and sisters in eternal war, wielding fire and pain to gain land and power. I believe my father ran away. Psyche and Giselle, my aunts, and Donovan, my uncle, also fled. But I am lead to believe that many more still follow in my grandfather's steps." Ophelia glanced over at Torleik, wondering what he thought about the fact that she had been born into war.

"He would often mention that he was trying to find redemption for his sins. When the shades took over Isilme, my sister and I fled, and my father made it out alive only after he tried to get most of his herd out. Paladin, my father, lived quietly with my mother, Soleil, for some time, but eventually, he challenged my grandmother for leadership with Soleil's blessing. Then, he ruled here for some time. He was a warrior for the World's Edge, the last time I saw him, defending the borders of Mirage's band." She frowned. "He did not much approve of my sister and I's band of mercenaries, but I understand now why."

The conversation shifted to Deimos and the Basin, and she snorted bitterly. "Yes, which is why I said what I did," she said quietly. Ophelia winced in guilt at the mention of her sister whom she had betrayed, but she also could not help but smile. She loved Ktulu dearly. "I do, her name is Ktulu. Together we are the Constrictor and the Forsaken. We lead the Windtossed Foothills for a time together. We are twins, but we look little alike. She looks like my father and I like our mother."

Ophelia offered for him to join her on her walk, and when he agreed, she smiled, stepping out into the rain. Conversation fell between them comfortably as she wound her way into the Deep Forest, comfortable in the trees she knew as well as her memories.

Credits: Image by Del-Rae @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik
The beard of glory...

The Bloodskald was a better listener than storyteller, and he sank comfortably into his preferred role as Ophelia wove the answers into the growing tapestry of their back-and-forth. Isilme...the name sounded familiar in a long-forgotten way, like a land that was spoken of only as myth. Her father...who was he? Had he come here? Phi's sire sounded a reasonable man if he allowed all bloodlines to live in one land. Torleik could not deny the unease that raised his hackles at the thought of a bunch of winged bastards strutting around...but he knew that he could not hold all pegasi responsible for the actions of a few.

Rational knowledge didn't make only partially irrational hate any less strong.

The mare continued to weave her tale, telling him of Dorngarrow, of Riekahn's war and her family's fleeing. In the back of his mind, Torleik felt perhaps he knew Psyche was her aunt...but maybe that was just his brain being a victim of circumstance and belatedly connecting the similarities in appearance to bloodlines. He caught her glance and held her gaze steadily, betraying no judgement or displeasure in his eyes: he held none. To be battleborn was an honor amongst his clan, and he only respected her more to know this about her history.

What sins? he wondered when Ophelia spoke of her father's quest for penance. When she said his name was Paladin, Torleik was shocked. "I met him," he blurted. "He tried to help me in...the Endless Blue, when I was beset by a mouthy paint mare, and one who drew a dagger from her tail," he grumbled, remembering that without fondness. Damn women.

Cocking his head to the side, the Bloodskald's brows furrowed. "You and your sister's band of mercenaries?" he probed. They seemed to share the same opinion of Deimos - refreshing - and he listened further as Ophelia shared more about her sister, Ktulu. Their titles... "Why the Constrictor and the Forsaken?" What had happened to this woman for her to be comfortable calling herself that? She had been force to bear the child of a god, yes, but...he felt in his soul that there was more, that her lack of normalcy towards him was borne of emotional and spiritual scarring. No wounds remained, only fibrous, unfeeling scar tissue that suffocated what healthy flesh might be beneath.

The mention of her leadership piqued his interest greatly, and set Torleik's mind churning. If she was comfortable leading a band of followers...that could be most advantageous. Regardless of his feelings for or about her, the stallion knew now that this woman would be a jealously kept ally, should he be able to manage it. And his observance did not end there; Ophelia walked these lands with ease, like she'd done it a thousand times in her sleep - he was beginning to think she either had an exceptionally keen sense of direction and memory for topography, or...she was gifted. The pale mare did not smell or look old like him to have traversed these lands the number of times it took to memorize them so fully in every season, not like he'd done in his home.

So he followed her, confident in her guidance, speaking with her on whatever she wished to know, an open tome for her inquiries. Torleik felt no threat from her and enjoyed the intimacy such conversation brought, aware that he was probably conflating his attraction to her with qualities he desired in a mate.

Was it such a crime to be lonely and wish that to end?

@[Ophelia]

"talk talk talk"

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme
Ophelia the Forsaken

Torleik was a good listener, she decided. He took her words without judgement or remark, letting her speak uninterrupted and honestly. She did not fear his responses because after a few minutes, Ophelia realized that he was not going to pass his thoughts along, offer her advice, or praise or condemn. The freedom to speak unfettered was liberating, and so she said more than she had ever said before. What was there to hold back from him? Nothing, really...

Ophelia could not define the stab in her heart when Torleik said that he had met her father, but she smiled tightly regardless. That sounded like her father, to help someone in need, without question. The pleasure of her father's good deeds hurt in a good way, but his absence from her life and his presence in others' felt like betrayal. She would never admit that out loud, except, perhaps, to Ktulu, whom she knew believed similarly.

"My father is known for helping all of those in need," she said quietly. His herd in the Moonlit Tides was a harbor for the lost and a home for many. He even housed an outcast band solely set on bringing peace to Isilme. I am glad that you have met him, even if briefly." That was the truth. She was glad that Torleik had seen her father for the noble man she believed him to be.

The smile on Ophelia's lips was mysterious. "When Ktulu and I had reached of age, she invented in her mind this idea that we would lead warriors and spies to rid the world of evil," she said with a laugh. "The idea was noble if not naive, and we had no reason to be naive, with what we've seen." She snorted in amusement. "What started as an innocent idea turned into a full fledged band of miscreants and warriors, and I lead a group of spies while my sister lead the warriors. Eventually, we grew, and finally, we invaded a land called the Foothills. My childhood friend, Jackal, lead the herd before we came, be he didn't show up at the battle."

Ophelia was still bitter over his absence, as the win did not feel legitimate. "We won, and I turned a few of their warriors to our cause. But, over time, the band grew to be mercenaries, battling for the highest price. Honestly, fighting for material gain tore me apart inside. I tried to shut myself off, to turn away my morals, what few there are, but I could not - not when my father fought so valiantly for freedoms that allowed me to live and exist." Soleil was an equine and her father was a unicorn, making her existence rocky in Isilme, but his herd provided safety.

"I made a deal with my aunt, Psyche, who lead at the time, that we would offer warriors when the time came. But, after some much needed advice, I left the Grey, our band, going into the mountains to be alone. Ktulu was left to pick up the pieces and send warriors when the Basin called. I learned recently that they invaded the World's Edge and the Dragon's Throat, but neither battle resulted in victory," she said quietly. "My uncle died in one, however..."

Donovan. She missed him.

"My sister chose her title because she was born with the ability to steal breath from other's lungs," she answered his question. "That ability saved my life from Deimos. While Deimos was killing me, she strangled Mauja, the leader, until Deimos would let me go," she explained, remembering that moment flawlessly.

"As for my own..." she trailed, frowning. "My life is a pattern of being... forgotten, left alone," she explained hesitantly. She was not afraid of his judgment, but afraid of her own admittance. Speaking aloud made everything more resolute. "My sister and I were abandoned on our own to survive and find ourselves here, a stallion I thought I loved left me for another, the God of the Sun abandoned me, vowing he would never speak to me again, my father left, I have not seen the God of Time since Roskuld was born..." she trailed, frowning. Even Mauja had disappeared entirely after supposedly attacking the Throat.

"Seems like everyone I've loved, or thought I've loved has disappeared... gone," she trailed, frowning. "Except for Ktulu. She is the only constant in my life, the only one who has stood at my side, through... everything."

Credits: Image by Del-Rae @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!