the Rift

[PRIVATE] somewhere nobody knows you

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
A vial of hope and a vial of pain
in the light they both look the same

So she had left the Edge… I never expected Evangeline to flee that place completely – only my presence. But I had upset her so greatly… Outwardly, I responded little to this information. What could I say or do? I wished to leave, but sensing such an action inappropriate, I remained. She spoke of the dragon’s actions, and I nodded. “Of course.” Quietly. My eyes found again the glint of orange scales. “I am not angry.” No, I had never been angry. It was fear that drove me away, and never anger… not for that.

Her next words surprised me, for their candidness if nothing else. With a jerk, my ears came forward, expression lit. “Of course,” again but surprised, soft if only because I had forgotten how little she thought of herself. Of course you mean something to me. And I was the daft one? Some manner of laughter wheezed in my chest, silent but present. She was odd company, driving a man from sorrow to anger and back to joy… But I no longer regretted finding her in the trees.

“You have been in the Edge longer,” I pointed out, words traveling past a small, ironic smile. They came softly still, as if all claim to authority had vanished from me. But I did not so much mind being cowed, if it meant she no longer had reason to be angry toward me. “I don’t like this.” Silently, I agreed. It seemed foolishness, in hindsight… but so often in the past my transgressions had been punished with worse than the threat of flame, or the loss of a friend… I may have counted myself happy if she continued to live in good health without my presence – if that was the cost. She reached out to touch me and startled, I jerked back, blinking at her with uneven eyes, rife with confusion.

“My dear...” I chuckled at last, though whether it was a joyful sound I could not be certain. “I do apologize for making such a… mess of things.” Slowly I reached out to touch her, half-apologetic for drawing away prematurely. “But I am glad to hear you say that. You are a warmer and more lovely creature than any I have met before, and I… It pained me to think I may have lost you so soon after finding you again.” My ears twitched a bit self-consciously, but there… I supposed it was better to be completely honest and to sound pitiful than to hide around words, anymore. “I was only willing to do whatever was necessary to ensure you were… happy.” Simpering, I shook my head again, a bit helplessly. “I don’t often go out of my way like this. I’ve not met very many others who were so important; I may need some practice with… becoming accustomed to it.”

Messages In This Thread
somewhere nobody knows you - by Evangeline - 05-07-2014, 10:43 PM
RE: somewhere nobody knows you - by Ruske - 05-08-2014, 12:17 AM
RE: somewhere nobody knows you - by Evangeline - 05-10-2014, 10:10 PM
RE: somewhere nobody knows you - by Ruske - 05-11-2014, 09:42 PM
RE: somewhere nobody knows you - by Evangeline - 05-11-2014, 11:34 PM
RE: somewhere nobody knows you - by Ruske - 05-12-2014, 12:09 AM
RE: somewhere nobody knows you - by Evangeline - 05-12-2014, 10:16 PM
RE: somewhere nobody knows you - by Ruske - 05-15-2014, 01:45 AM
RE: somewhere nobody knows you - by Evangeline - 05-15-2014, 07:56 PM
RE: somewhere nobody knows you - by Ruske - 05-15-2014, 08:37 PM