the Rift

Fear Not This Night

Aruna Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Beige hooves dug gently into the grassy earth as the lone figure traversed the bare terrain. The mare’s eyes had seen nothing but endless hills and valleys for weeks, and she was growing tired of the never-changing scenery. Everything looked the same; collines appearing one after another with no end to the waves in the earth. Aruna was usually fond of the open land; she could run if there was danger and at night the stars were easily visible, but after being in it for so long, she felt more trapped and isolated than ever. She hadn’t seen a single other being since her sister’s death several months ago, and she was itching to speak to someone. Preferably someone friendly, but she figured she would even put up with hostile company if it meant she was reassured she wasn’t the only equine left in the world.

Violet eyes soon brightened and ears perked, however, when Aruna mounted yet another hill and spotted a change of scenery. It was the edge of a forest, and a very pretty-looking one at that. Aruna felt a fraction of the weight in her chest lift at the prospect of the forest; she absolutely adored woodland; she had grown up in it and she felt safe in it. The trees were her own personal guardians, the animals her alarm systems. On a day such as this, the breeze through the trees would be pleasant; cool, but not too strong. The sunlight would cover the loam and undergrowth of the forest floor in golden dapples, and the birds would be singing. Aruna could practically feel the new environment around her as she picked up her pace, trotting down the grassy hillside in anticipation of the shelter of the trees.

The forest felt familiar, like home. As little as her herd had respected her, she would never associate it with the land in which they’d lived. It was as if she could feel Gaia and Herne all around her, always present in the extensive wildlife. A small smile formed on Aruna’s face for the first time in what felt like ages as she trekked on. She wouldn’t stop, not until she found a home or a companion (preferably both). She didn’t care how long it would take; it could be years before she managed to meet someone else and become their friend, but patience was a virtue that Aruna had plenty of. She could wait if she must, and wait she did. She continued onward, only stopping to graze and drink, until darkness began to fall. The flame-spotted mare finally decided to give herself a rest as the sun started to set, casting an orange hue through the trees. She heaved a sigh of contentment; she needn’t fear tonight. She felt safe, and that was enough for her for the time being.

Abishia Posts: 225
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16 HH :: 5 years ~ Birdsong Buff: NOVICE
Wild.

The Threshold again. These days, She spent more And more time within the boundaries of the waterfall region, but it had become apparent that it was quite quiet there. She needed some new friends, possibly a recruitment under her belt. So far, She had only been rejected And told off, some hostile, others friendly, like Biru (who She hopped to meet again, cause he was such a lovely man). The thoughts of him distracted her, Biru slowly fading into thoughts of Azarel, then Thranduil. She flicked her harks, annoyed. Stallions are such horndogs. She rolled her dual colored orbs, the sun falling from it's thread behind her, the forest floor now bathed in beautiful oranges, yellows, And soft reds. Shadows started to appear, night was coming. A smile lit up her features.

Being so deep in thought, She nearly missed the sound of hoofbeats, coming to a startled halt as the source of the sounds appeared around the next bend in the trail. A one, just like herself, her locks long, a braid in her mane, topped off with a flower the color of lilacs. A beautiful mare, Hopefully She has a personality to fit . With a soft nicker (sounded to ensure the others wouldn't be too startled) Abishia took several steps forward, a large And welcoming smile displayed on her maw. She bowed her dome to the mare. "Greetings, Miss! I am Abishia, Artisan of the Hidden Falls. Are you lost? "

"blah blah blah."

ABISHIA

Image Credits

lines
please tag me in any and all posts

Unregistered

Aruna’s ear flicked toward the soft nicker and her head turned with it a second later, her eyes widening when the younger equine entered her vision. She hadn’t heard the filly approach; she must have been too distracted with her newly found shelter. She was stunned into silence for a moment by the sudden appearance of the delicate-looking fille, and it was almost as if the gods had heard her plea for company. She blinked after a second and quickly replaced the slightly agape expression on her face with a friendly smile.

“Oh, hello!”
she replied, dipping her head in respect as well. “I’m Aruna. I…would not quite say that I am lost; I had no destination, after all,” she said with a small laugh. “I’m a wanderer. It’s very nice to meet you,” she added. She was trying hard to repress her excitement, but she had no doubt that it was at least somewhat apparent that she was more exuberant than one should be when meeting someone. Not only that, but a clean slate; Abishia knew nothing about her. She could be a murderer and the other wouldn’t suspect a thing. Just thinking about it helped Aruna relax; she wouldn’t have to talk about her childhood, not if she didn’t want to. It wasn’t conversation about her former herd that pained her most, though; it was talking about her sister. Rosette had been the only highlight in the first three and a half years of her life, and that light had been extinguished just months prior. She was sure that if she tried to bring up her sister, she would break down into tears.

Still, though, she was glad that in Rosette’s absence she had continued to talk to herself frequently to simulate some kind of false company, because if she had gone so many months without speaking she feared she would have forgotten how completely. Even now she was slightly nervous; Abishia was the first seemingly friendly equine she’d met that wasn’t her sister. She hoped she was good enough at idle conversation to keep her around for at least a little while. “You said you’re an Artisan of the Hidden Falls?” she inquired, trying to recall Abishia’s words. “What is Hidden Falls? Is it your home?” Aruna hoped she wasn’t coming off as creepy or prying; she was genuinely curious.

@[Abishia]

Hidden Account
Wild.

The newcomer turned her dome, set her purple gaze upon Abishia. The lady was quite beautiful... But seemed a bit stunned? Oh dear, let's hope this one can speak. I can't deal with another like Liit. But her thoughts were interrupted by a glamorous smile flashed her way, friendly. An equally beautiful show of teeth was returned, harks erect, absorbing her words with slight silences between them. A greeting, warm And humorous, brimming with a laugh at the end, which Abishia returned, her orbs aglow with happiness. She then cocked her dome, the last rays of sunshine casting a glint off her glass horn. She was good with words, friendly, And beautiful. She would be a addition. "I'm a wanderer also, miss Aruna. Well met, a pleasure. " She smiled sweetly, a laugh gracing her maw. Her harks flicked slightly. Equine... Hornless. Desperately She pushed away the menacing thoughts. Internally, at every moment, She was breaking, being destroyed. And the mask hid it perfectly. "Yes an Artisan, I am learning to craft things for my family, the Falls. So yes, it is my home. "
She shrugged slightly, her soft voice carrying on the breeze. She shifted her gaze behind the mare, flicking her maw in the direction of home.

"It's nestled just north of here. It's a series of beautiful waterfalls and fresh green grasses and mosses. There's a lot of rainbows; quite an enjoyable past time to watch the day slip away with the passing colors above the falls. It's quite marvelous actually. My home is my everything." She then turned her gaze back to the purple eyed girl, features radiant. "I can tell you more, of you would like, Aruna. "

"blah blah blah."

ABISHIA

Image Credits

lines

Unregistered

Aruna hadn’t noticed Abishia’s faux horn before, but the glint of the dying sunlight caught and drew her eye to it. She’d heard of unicorns, but she’d never actually seen one before; that being said, she just assumed that Abishia was one. Suddenly, Aruna felt out of place; were all of the individuals from Abishia’s land unicorns? Surely they would look down on her for her lack of a horn. What if someone less friendly found her after Abishia left? She had a feeling that she wouldn’t be able to defend herself from such a formidable weapon. Thoughts of self-doubt began running through Aruna’s mind, but she soon chased them away. Those were an awful lot of ‘if’s, and she shouldn’t be worrying about it so much. She shook off her pestering thoughts so that she could respond to Abishia’s words. There was nothing to worry about here; the other painted femme was as amiable as they came. “Oh, please, you don’t have to call me ‘miss’,” she chuckled. “Is crafting a difficult trade for you? I imagine it must be; it was in my old home, in any case,” she told Abishia.

Aruna followed the flick of Abishia’s muzzle with her eyes, then looked back to politely keep eye contact as she continued speaking. She felt a small stir in her chest as Abishia described Hidden Falls. She’d seen rainbows only a few times, and waterfalls even less, but she immensely enjoyed both. To see them so often, to live with them, must be paradise. Aesthetically, anyway; paradise in Aruna’s eyes also included friendly company and safety. She saw the expression on Abishia’s face as she spoke of her homelands, however, and couldn’t help but to feel the ever present yearning for a home strengthen. After about a year of wandering with little to no hope of finding a place to stay, Aruna had all but given up on her dream; she would have kept looking, of course, and never stopped, but she had learned not to get her hopes up. She had all but accepted her fate as a loner. Now, though, just like that, the flame was ignited again and the desire to have a home once more burned bright inside of her. She didn’t want to get ahead of herself, but the way Abishia was talking made it sound almost as if she might have had intentions to invite her to return with her. She couldn’t stop the words from pouring from her maw as soon as the other young lady asked the question. “Yes, please! I would love to hear more about your home; it sounds wonderful!”

@[Abishia]

Hidden Account
Wild.

The painted girl was nice, Aruna. Abidjan was pleased with her presence, and was happy to hear of her interest in her rank. Crafting was what She loved, even though She hasn't tried her hoof at it yet. "Well, I'm only an Artisan. I am learning, not crafting yet! I have to earn my rank as a Mason before I get my crafting magic, the ability to make what my heart desires!" Her smile beamed at the thought of having the freedom of creation; to bring joy to others with gifts. "But I can almost guarantee that it will be quite easy for me! I have quite the imagination! " She giggled slightly, looking back off into the distance, the thought of home making her want to run back to the cascading waters and the fresh grass that made her mouth water. Hidden Falls was her home, where She expected to be for the rest of her life. Her loyalties lied there, and always would.

"Well, The Falls is what is left of the Windtossed Foothills. After the dark ages, everything changed. But Helovia recovered well, and when the Foothills was swollowed by darkness, the Falls became apparent. The horses there formed a herd, a junction of the Foothills and an outcast group. Many call them the 'crazies' , and I will be honest, some do suffer some problems, But our herd keeps It's peace, and I nor others that I know have ever had any problems. Midas and Seele are the Czar and Czarina; our leaders. In the herd there are warriors, spy's, Masons, storytellers, and much more. " She looked to Aruna, a large smile on her lips. She laughed a bit. "I just can't put into words how much I love my home. "

"blah blah blah."

ABISHIA

Image Credits

lines

Unregistered

Aruna listened intently as Abishia talked about her life. She sounded so happy, so full of life! To have loved her herd the way Abishia seemed to would have been a dream come true for Aruna; she’d always wanted to care for her parents the way most children should, but though she’d remained polite, she had never loved them. Not after they’d turned on her. She got about a month of affection from them, and then they’d shunned her for the way her markings had come in. The small blessing symbol under her eye was pretty, but her parents hadn’t thought so. Neither had her herd, and she’d had nothing to show for her life until after ten months, when her sister was born.

The sorrel and ivory fille shook herself out of her sorrowful reverie. She would not let herself fall downcast after searching so long to meet someone, anyone, and now she had that. She should be ecstatic, and she was. She wouldn’t let thoughts of what might have been spoil it. “Ranks and everything, huh?” she replied. “Sounds pretty elaborate. It sounds nice,” she added wistfully. “I’m sure you’ll be spectacular,” she told Abishia.

Aruna fell silent again to let the other girl’s words sink in, and she couldn’t help but to imagine everything in vivid detail. It all sounded so fantastic, so unreal. It was like a fairy tale, but the filly in front of her was living proof that it existed. There was an actual real place out there where everyone lived in peace, complete with beautiful scenery and jobs. In her old home, there was none of that; there was worship and there was survival, and fun was only for foals. Granted, “the crazies” sounded a little extreme, but if they didn’t cause problems then Aruna didn’t see a problem. Hidden Falls was appealing to her more and more with every bit of information she was told about it, and she couldn’t hide the smile that appeared on her face at the thought of such a place. “I don’t blame you,” she told Abishia. “It sounds wonderful.”

@[Abishia]

Hidden Account
Wild.

"Yes, sister, ranks as well." She smiled lightly, the thought of a new friend made her feel at ease with herself, and that around her. A gust of wind weaved it's way through the forest, the trees sighing and swaying, leaves, fresh and green, composing a soft music, a hymn of collision. Her smile grew. Upon the breeze was the faintest scent of water and rock. She closed her orbs for a moment, the soft curtain of chestnut eliminating the world around her for a few moments, but then Aruna spoke again, causing Abi to open her eyes slowly, and long breath seeping from her. "Very much so. It's very nice Aruna... And thank you dear. I really hope I can become a useful asset to my family." She sighed, and took a few steps away, towards a tree only about two fox-lengths away. Abishia pressed herself against it, listening to the smiling lady's next words. The fae already adored the Falls, which brought warmth to the child's heart. For once, she had done well at this little game. Maybe, just maybe, she could bring home a new sister to the father of her herd, to Midas.

She turned to Aruna, her pools full of hope, the dual colored windows to her soul lit with such an innocent light despite the harsh thoughts that often graced her mind. But for a moment, they all slipped away, and all she thought of was her loyalty to her herd, a new friend, a sister. But no, that word carried too much pain, too much responsibility. No one wanted the child, and she had to keep it that way. Elsa had left. MeMe, Harmony, Castiel, Tonka, Slaiter, Rhiannon, Windwalker, Azarel... Too many. There wasn't enough room in her heart for love any longer. There wasn't room for adolescence, there wasn't room for her to grow like every child should. She was unwanted a mistake . But newcomers didn't know her story. Here standing with this newcomer, this Aruna, she had no worries. She didn't fret over the past. She didn't remember the pain. It was only a numb happiness, for she didn't have the ability to be truly happy. So on the mask went, to hide the pain, the want for love, the confusion. Burnt to ashes was her story, and for these moments, she could pretend to be someone different. For Aruna didn't truly know the filly before her; and this Aruna would never have a chance to dig down deep enough. The child was too skilled, too experienced, too stubborn to ever let anyone peek behind her mask again.

But that doesn't mean she can't pretend. "Come be apart of my family, Aruna. You will have a place there, with us. "

"blah blah blah."

ABISHIA

Image Credits

lines

Unregistered

Aruna visibly tensed at the word her companion had called her by. “Sister”. She hadn’t even heard the word out loud since before Rosette had died. This filly had no right to be calling her sister; they barely knew each other, let alone enough to be faux siblings. Her breath caught for moment, and she had to blink a few times before she’d composed her thoughts. She rarely let anything faze her, but she had been far from expecting the title to come out of the other girl’s maw. She had to remind herself that Abishia didn’t know anything about her past nor her deceased sister, and she was only being friendly. Aruna felt ashamed to have almost lost her temper for such a trivial thing, but she hoped she’d regained her composure quickly enough for Abishia not to have noticed; it wasn’t her fault, after all.

Luckily, she managed to focus instead on the younger equine’s continuing speech. “I’m sure you will be as useful as they come,” she reassured Abishia. She had to let her malevolent thoughts go. Nothing was going to bring her sister back from the dead, and nothing would keep others from unintentionally reminding her about the fact. It was something she had to accept if she was going to be around other equines, and she reminded herself once more that this was what she wanted. She wanted a new family, and already this femme was calling her ‘sister’. That wasn’t a bad thing…in fact, it was more of a good thing. Aruna looked down at the ground, beginning to lose herself in thought as she watched a beetle scurry over the moss on the forest floor. Even that beetle probably had a home. What was one without a home? For now and for a year before, Aruna didn’t have a home. She belonged to no one and no thing; she was free to do as she pleased, but she was alone. She had no one to share her adventures with, she had no one to share her kindness and affection with. Even though she was on edge now, the mare’s entire being was brimming with love and affection just waiting to be given away. All Aruna really wanted was someone to love and share her life with. It didn’t matter to her what kind of relationship it was; she’d take any. Anything to give her a purpose in life and finally make her worth something. So, when Abishia spoke her offer, it didn’t take much thought on her part to generate a response. She could get somewhere with this herd that Abishia had told her about. If she declined, she had nowhere to go and no guarantee she would even find anyone else. In her mind, she had no choice. In her mind, Gaia had finally answered her desperate call into the void for a home, and here it was, right in front of her in the form of a painted chestnut filly. It was all she had ever asked for, and now was her chance to accept and be drawn into others’ lives, hopefully to dissolve and become a part of all of it. She could help out; she could feel needed and perhaps even wanted if she was lucky enough.

Aruna took a deep breath and let it out with a wide smile. “I would love to join you.”

@[Abishia]

Hidden Account
Wild.

A shift was noticed when the word sister slithered from the child's maw, and regret immediately stabbed her heart. As always, there must be a story behind the pain. But when you are in such a family, such as the Falls, you call one another 'sister' or 'brother', for it was simply a normal thing. But that didn't mean it wasn't a reason for Abishia to beat herself up. Stupid little girl. You can't to one thing right The thoughts weren't hers, the voice, not her own. She flicked a hark, gaze dropping to the forest floor, laden with leaves. I know, I know. I can't even say the right words anymore. Just bug off. Another presence. But not entirely there. A figure became visible just to her right, translucent, with a red bird that wasn't, between It's lobes. MeMe? She closed her orbs, shutting herself out from the world. Yes child. But I'm not who I think I am... A chill ran up her spine. Her orbs slowly opened and She gazed at the splashy fae before her. That's fine... We all change.

The childe then set her focus on the situation at hand, rather than the figure of her dead Aunt. Of course, Aruna wouldn't be able to are the figure, nor the bird, But the shift in Abi had proven to be quite obvious. Not fear, But relief. MeMe had finally returned. Abishia had missed her presence from when She was just a helpless little girl. She stepped toward Aruna, dropping her vocals to a whisper, "You are a part of my family now. Tis what we call one another Aruna. " She then turned on her heel in the direction of home, the breeze grabbing hold of her unusually long chestnut and white locks. The glass feathers strung in her tail grazed each other with small clanks, and the white feather just above her shoulder shifted slightly. A new found confidence surged through her, and a smile crossed her lips. "Midas and Seele will be glad to see such a fine madame joining our ranks. The Falls will suit you. Now follow me, friend. " She giggled softly and began to walk at a slow pace, waiting for Aruna to match her steps so they could make the journey from here to home. "Now tell me, what do you think you want to be, Aru? "

@[Aruna]
go ahead and post a response to this then I will make a welcome thread for her in the Falls tomorrow!

"blah blah blah."

ABISHIA

Image Credits

lines

Unregistered

Aruna watched as Abishia’s gaze dropped, and then she knew that it must have been obvious that she had been thrown off by her words. She looked away, ashamed that she’d already managed to make the other girl feel guilty or perhaps just uncomfortable. She forced herself to shrug it off, though; as much as she wished she did, she’d never had social skills. She could pretend she knew what she was doing all she wanted, but she still had an extreme lacking in social situations. She probably couldn’t make up for the first four years of her life, but she wanted to try to learn. She didn’t want to make others uncomfortable in any way, and she’d learn tact and, hopefully, how to make others happy.

Aruna glanced back at Abishia when her demeanor changed. It looked as if the younger equine had suddenly relaxed, and though Aruna didn’t know why, she was glad. The painted filly stepped forward and whispered to her, and she felt a chill course through her body. She supposed Abishia was right; if she was going to be a part of a family, then she would have to get used to being called ‘sister’. It wasn’t even a bad thing; in fact, after the initial shock, she was beginning to like the idea. Abishia would be a good sister, she thought. Despite her age, she seemed…well, mature. Aruna was unsure of whether she would even be considered the girl’s theoretical older sister or younger sister. It didn’t matter to her, though; none of it really mattered. The point was that she had a place now, a home. A family. She had air in her lungs and it could be spent talking to the members of this herd, learning about them, telling them about herself rather than talking to herself. It will take work to fit in, but Aruna wasn’t about to complain.

She fell into step beside Abishia, smiling to herself at the thought of arriving in Hidden Falls. She’d meet all of the people that Abishia knew, and she’d get to stay around them. She wouldn’t be a passing stranger; she was going to belong. She pricked her ears as Abishia began speaking again, and she blushed a bit at her words. “Thank you,” she replied, not being used to being complimented. She had to think a bit with Abishia’s final question, though. “What I want to be? Like in the way that you’re an artisan?” She hesitated. “I’m not really sure…I don’t have many skills. Not that I know of, in any case. I’m sure I can learn to do anything that’s needed! I know a bit about healing herbs and the like….” Aruna continued to think for another moment. “I think I’m pretty good at telling stories, and I wouldn’t mind taking care of children if you are in need of a foalsitter.” She shrugged and chuckled. “Honestly, right now I’m just thankful that you would invite me into your herd. I appreciate that very much, Abishia. Thank you.”

@[Abishia]
Sorry it took so long! The end of school is getting very busy and messy.