the Rift

[OPEN] End of the World

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
 Ruske</style>
     A coward is incapable of exhibiting love;
         it is the prerogative of the brave.</style>

Spring flowered brightly in every direction. The scent of rain accompanied the morning’s sunlight, but with the storm past overnight, I only experienced its aftereffects: soggy earth, flowers pearled with water droplets. My every step squished somewhat unpleasantly, but ignoring that, I found reason enough to be cheerful. Morning’s fog disintegrated into the bright air as I moved. My course took me beyond the forest, through the meadows beyond, mane flapping sadly away from my neck. I suppose I made at least a more impressive silhouette than I had on the day of my arrival; days of care had filled most of the hollows in my flanks, and warmer weather had at last convinced my winter coat to let go its hold. Still, I felt somewhat uneasy on the open ground. Perhaps it may be explained by a long swath of my history spent under the darkness of trees; I was not meant for open air. Or for the sea.

Yet it was the sea I sought, and with careful steps I found at last the edge of the World’s Edge. The crumbling rock beneath my hooves shone white, like bone – like the skeleton of the earth itself. I blinked at it for a time before allowing my eyes to follow the writhing course of the sea far below. Light glinted on the waves, too, where they crashed and broke against the wall of the cliffs. The roar of it all funneled up to me in a strange, muffled fashion. I wondered briefly if anyone had ever fallen to their death from such a cliff – one misstep and gone over the edge. It struck me suddenly that for all the kindness of those living within this place, the land itself held only a wild disregard for any who required its protection in order to live. But perhaps that was the nature of the world.

“Impressive, at least,” I muttered, as the ocean thrashed and rattled carelessly below. Not to my taste, exactly, but… impressive, nonetheless.

image by BlueRidgeKitties @ flickr.com</style>

@[Ayelet]

Ayelet Posts: 51
Absent Abyss
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: V
Lior :: Melanistic Barn Owl :: Curse dark
have you seen that girl?

Settling back into her home, she still feels odd, alien from the rest of the herd. It is strange, the feelings of being an outcast dominate her body. She's begun to sink back into the mist, invisible to everyone else but Lior. Her light. Her guidance, he kept her company, never truly speaking words. His screeches and coos and become a calming sound to her, familiar to her crystalline ears. Her herd had become just a group of unfamiliar faces, a mass of strangers she had gotten mixed into. She rarely speaks, and is rarely spoken to. Even though she's standing in the open, she feels isolated, confined to a small, cramped space that threatens to crush her into powder.

Her steps are soft, hollow hooves clicking against the warm stones that litter the ground around her. She is quiet, calm, collected, no distinct emotions on her glistening features. Perched upon her back with silver moons opened wide, is her Lior, head twitching constantly at every little sound. He hears something, for he leaves his perch to fly into the mist, the sunlight showing his silhouette fade, but remaining as she follows, curious as to where he headed.

She follows him through the pines, droplets of water clinging desperately to the needles, some slipping down and hitting her solid bodice. The water slips down the grooves in her figure, the surface rippling gently as though trying to shake free of the moisture. The outside was colder than the hollow in her body, causing water to cling to her surface. She crosses the border of the forest and the open expanse of the herd, spotting Lior soaring several strides in front of her, so high in the sky that she had to crane her neck to look at him.

She felt as though the land went on forever as she walked on, thinking there would be no end of it in sight. She was surprised when she spotted a figure almost the same size as her leaning over the edge. The world fell away at his feet, into a raging ocean that begged for souls to tumble into the foamy white waves that crashed at the feet of the cliff. The sight was quite breath taking, but from her, it had no breath to take, so she stood and stared out at the endless ocean before her with a feeling of shock.

Taking a hesitant step towards the dark stallion, she moves off to the side a couple strides, trying to look down at the water unnoticed. Lior lets out a coo, making her crane her neck to watch him land upon her back, flapping his dark appendages before settling down. She feels awkward, standing beside this stallion and not trying to converse with him, but fear crawls through her, eats away at her heart, that pounds away furiously. She wonders if he can hear how loud it beats, taking a daring glance over at the horned stud.

When she looks at him, her heart stops for a moment, her eyes playing games on her. He stands there, staring down at the ocean, a sick grin on his mutilated face. "Isn't it mesmerizing? The way the ocean calls... listen to it..." He turns, and she swears she wants to melt away, to crawl out of this body now and forever be a wandering spirit. The way his eyes glisten and stare deeply into her, seeing her for what she truly is. It hurts, her heart, it feels as though someone has pierced it with a horn, trying to kill her now.

Taking a step back, she can hear the ocean's deep, rumbling voice washing over her. Jump, jump, jump. She looks at the stallion, panicked. "What witch craft is this?!" She rarely ever raises her voice, for when she does her body vibrates and her voice echoes through her hollow frame. Her words are directed towards no one in particular, although she may be talking to the stallion. She doesn't really know, her thoughts are jumbled, her mind is weak, her heart is going to shatter her if it beats any faster.

She trembles, crumpling onto the ground, stones below her tumbling into the ocean. Her Light has long since left to hunt, leaving her with a soft coo that echoes through her mind. The pain she feels, not just in her heart, but in her soul that is bound to this body. She relaxes her mind as she realizes the stallion beside her is no longer Him, but a regular stallion whom she had never met. Embarrassment quickly take hold, and she lowers her head and flicks back her ears as she struggles to stand up once again. "I am sorry. I- I do not know what came over me." Speech is odd, her voice is quiet now, she trips over her words as she apologizes for her outburst. "Ayelet, it is pleasure." She knows the sentence is wrong, but doesn't want to correct it. Fear has taken a hold of her, and she can't think clearly as it clouds her mind.

the one with the fragile laugh and killer smile?

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
 Ruske</style>
     A coward is incapable of exhibiting love;
         it is the prerogative of the brave.</style>

I stood alone for some time, kept company only by the restless wind. It teased long, tattered strings of dark hair over my eyes, until with an irritated snort I tossed my head, eager to be rid of the nuisance. Other unicorns appeared to relish the seaside, but it called ineffectively to me. I far preferred the woods.

Small flecks of rock and loose soil scattered under my hooves, bouncing along the bone-white rock below as they fell to the sea. I cast a last, wary glance at their descent and turned – and immediately paused. I had drawn company unbeknownst to myself: silent and glimmering in the low light, a creature moving like fog over the grass. My heart leapt, unaccustomed to the shock of surprise, as my eyes traced her frame – like glass, like a piece of the great wall come to life. She approached without speaking, and I stood at the precipice dumbstruck, wondering – not for the first time – if I dreamed, transported by a weathered mind beyond the confines of reality.

Unable to find an appropriate greeting, I stared far too long, confused by the chiming delicacy of the glass form. She shed light as a proper being sheds water – yet a great heart beat in her hollow chest, pulsing, brilliant. A keen tremor of something – hunger – rattled in the marrow of my bones. She was unlike myself – so unlike anything…. My ears came forward as the gentle fluttering of near-silent wings descended from above, a sooty barn owl lighting delicately upon the curve of her back. And still neither of us spoke.

“Good morning.” I found the words as last, but they brushed softly from my lips, suppressed by the sensation of wonder yet lingering in my brain. Perhaps she could not speak? But when she looked at me, her eyes peered into something far away. An expression of fear clouded her features as she stepped away. “What witch craft is this?!” Her voice would match in loveliness her exterior, if only it were not raised in terror… The thought occurred to me as, dumbstruck, I watched her fall, trembling. For a long moment I expected her to disappear, too fragile a thing to belong in this world, crushed by some force beyond myself.

But by degrees the spell of wonder fell off me, and the crystalline mare seemed to regain her senses. The bird had left by the time she spoke again; I watched her, curious, rooted to the spot by a whirlwind of thoughts all clattering like hail against the inside of my skull. “I am sorry.” I blinked in answer, head slowly tilting. “No harm done.” I told her softly, my gaze resting upon her strange face. “But I’m glad to see you’ve recovered from… whatever that was.” I spared another glance for the restless ocean beyond, my hooves crawling backward yet again as she rose. I meant only to give her ample room; after a few paces I paused again, my attention returning to her. Where could I start? She gave a name, at least. Past her fit of terror, she conversed much like any other horse. I supposed I should treat her as I would any other, then. Age had worn patience in me at last, it seemed.

“Ruske,” I told her, bending my long neck. “The pleasure is mine, I think… Do you live here? Are you in pain? I am a nurse, though you might be better served in seeing Resplendence, if you feel any lingering discomfort…?”

image by BlueRidgeKitties @ flickr.com</style>

[ @[Ayelet] I am so, so sorry about the wait! I'll try not to take so long in the future. ]