the Rift

[OPEN] The biggest of them all.

Rikyn the Puppeteer Posts: 549
Aurora Basin Lord atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 HP: 70 | Buff: SWIFT
Duir :: Royal Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Bunnie

What if this whole crusade's a charade
And behind it all there's a price to be paid

I don’t think momma has followed me, but its hard to tell; the trick of using my nose to look for her doesn’t work in our home because it seems that she has rubbed against every bush, boulder, and tree on the entire mountain and doused it in her pine and metal smell. Everyone here smells sort of like snow and conifers, but I can pick out momma from the traces of her armor and the way she seems to always have a lingering, electrical odor to her from her work in the mines or practicing her power.

Her power is beautiful. She says father has magic too, but I haven’t seen it. She’s been sure to point out that the big bronze statue at the front of the place is his work, and that it lives when it is asked, but I don’t know how well I believe her. I mean, it’s not like he isn’t there tinkering with them often enough for me to doubt that he made them, but that they can come to life? All I’ve ever seen the whole one do is stand there looking like a gleaming statue of no use, though I do admit that the idea of it moving is thrilling to me.

He’s so big. Even from way back here behind the lake in the trees along the northern most border of my home you can see his bulk shining in the sun, those big vacant eyes staring into the distance as if waiting for an army to march up and challenge him; there’s no one in the herd as big or proud as the sentinel, not even father, and though I still don’t believe it will ever happen, some day I hope to see him fight alongside our people, plumes of steam billowing from his creaking joints.

I prance about through the pines and stones littering the foyer of the vast majority of housing caves, the place momma picked for herself way over to the east of me and well out of my thoughts for the time. I’ve looked through that thing up and down, top and bottom, and mother is such a bitch when it comes to moving anything out of place that the simple act of staring at it all has grown to droll to bare and I’ve gone out to find caves I’m allowed to disparage at will.

I wonder if I have magic too, looking again through the gaps in the trees to spy the bronze, thinking it is possible to be so. Mother has her lightning and father has his machines… it is souring to think that I’ve been left with nothing. I’ve tried before to do what momma does, but my horn doesn’t glow or shoot out blue light and I certainly don’t even know how to begin to think how father does what he does. It’s not like I’ve ever seen it.

Momma says I likely won’t see much of him, either. She says she only does when she looks for him; father is a wanderer, she says, with a heart that seeks distance, and I guess I can understand that. This small adventure, my first stolen moments away from her glaring and overly protective eyes, fills me with what I imagine he feels when he’s out on his own in the mountain passes.

I just wish he took more notice of me, but he’s busy and doesn’t care about children like most of the adults I’ve encountered. I guess our problems are too small or we’re too hard to hear from way down on the ground.

[ OOC: Rikyn has escaped the clutches of the mother monster! :o Open for any. ]
For the blood on which we dine
Justified in the name of the Holy and the Divine.

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Code:
Torleik
The beard of glory...

Of all the idiots in all the idiot villages to birth spawn, Ulrik and Illynx were King Moron and Queen Fool. Torleik thought them two of the utmost worst possible parents, and little - save a well-adjusted child - would change his mind.

Like that could occur with parenting by his mentally off-kilter cousin and the vain, sociopathic bitch he'd knocked up. Torleik wished to throttle them both for their selfish incompetency...but he was too self-aware to let his anger burn too openly. He was furious with himself, with his mistake to let Brisa seduce him so easily, with the near family he had been saddled with because of it.

And he was angry the twins were not his, but some manwhore Pegasus' bastard spawn. He would berate his cousin for his imbecilic mistake later. For how, the Bloodskald simply wished to be alone so that he might find some peace. But that was not to be, he discovered, as the very child he had been mentally grumbling over bounded about in front of him. Briefly, Torleik wondered if the boy knew he was a bastard in the sense that he was a tool for Illynx and unplanned (likely unwanted) by his father - who, if Torleik's instincts proved correct, would be the conspicuously absent kind.

With a sigh, he approached the youngling and rumbled a nicker of greeting. "Hello, young man," the Bloodskald said quietly, giving the skinny boy a kind smile. He liked children, and this child was his family - even if Illynx was most certainly not. "I am your father's cousin. What are you doing out here all alone?" he asked, tone pleasant and curious, lacking the condescion of most adults when they spoke to little ones.

@[Rikyn]

------------------
OOC: OMG post from my phone. I apologize if anything is horribly wrong.

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA

Aithniel the Inquisitor Posts: 169
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.0hh :: 4 Years HP: 75 | Buff: NOVICE
Zerachiel :: Royal Griffin :: Molten Dagger tamme

Aithniel
The first flame burned gloriously, but the second flame burns cold.

The journey with Illynx, her new mother of sorts and new brother of sorts, had been long and cold, but she liked this place in the shelter of the mountains well enough. They had taught her many words, important words. And even though she got the sense that the golden mare did not like her very much, she was reliant upon her and the food that she provided. Actually, Aithniel did not much care for the mother's rather stern gaze and sharpened attitude, and often they went places and she could not follow.

But, she liked her new brother well enough, and she liked to play with him when she could. Rikyn. She could say his name now. Aithniel was small, wild from her early childhood of fending mostly for herself, and for such a tiny kid, she was actually fairly bright.

For example, she noticed that no one here had feathers, so she made sure to keep the extra bones of hers firmly planted to her sides. White, downy feathers of her wings blended well into her sides, and she could not fly at her age even if she wanted to, so she hid. She wanted to blend in, to fit in well, and maybe, even to be true family. Aithniel's long, spindly legs propelled her forward over the grassy ground, silver eyes spying Rikyn like a hawk.

The long, lion tail with little spurts of gray hair all around flashed behind her, balancing her bony back end. The gold could be familial, as she had a tribal marking over one eye, just like her surrogate brother, but neither Ulrik nor Illynx could have produced her white, dove pelt. Aithniel did not anticipate the fact that she could not stop, and she slid, her trajectory possibly causing an impact with her sibling.

Much to her embarrassment, a tall, massive, hairy, bearded, demon-horned, black monster approached, and it was smiling. Aithniel's silver eyes widened, and she looked up at him in awe, taking a few steps closer to her foster brother. She did not hear his words, so she turned to Rikyn, still keeping a watchful ear on the stallion. "What did he say?" she whispered in to his ear.

But burn down our home
I won't leave alive

Please tag me in everything!

Two things happen at once; first, I notice the stallion approaching, all muscles and a plush black coat and certain light to his features and step that said he was someone who was quite sure of himself, but no so audaciously open about it as mother was. I watch him come with my full focus set in his direction, wondering who he is (perhaps the General, or another of those that aren’t in the other herd within this herd because he most certainly had not been at the meeting) and whether or not he’ll bother talking to me.

It seems like he’s walking this way, at least, and I am filled with a sense of excitement that such a person wants to talk to me, but also hesitancy; an ear and eye flick towards mother, at least where she had been when I’d snuck off. As much as I wanted to get away, its frightening in ways to face strangers without her comfort nearby, or her loving kicks and nudges to get me to say the right things. She’s spent a lot of time telling me that how you carry and present yourself to others have more long term effects than anything you do and they catch wind of. I want this man to respect me, at least a little.

It’s probably asking too much.

Especially considering the second thing is now happening; all while I’m staring at this dual horned mammoth of a man and wondering who he is, my “sister” has been barreling towards me, unnoticed in my childish wonder with the stranger, and so it is too late that I catch the sound of her dainty, dark toned hooves beating into the mountain loam, too late that I cast my eyes to her with a bright and astounded expression.

"Thistle sis - OOOMPH!" I manage as our frames meet, a gaggle of narrow bodies and flailing legs that surely has wiped any chance of respect I have from this approaching man clean and clear from his mind. It seems my sister is still standing while I’ve had the displeasure of being cast from my hooves and rolled down into the grass, and I quickly rise in time to meet the features of the imposing male figure standing among the two of us, tufts of grass clinging to the frizzy, jutting arch of my mane.

I snort as he gives his nickering greeting, not because I’m mad at him or this conversation but because there is dust in my nose and I’m afraid I’m going to sneeze. I feel my sister huddle up nearer to me as he speaks, wondering why it is she’s always so timid and frail when she spends more time alone than I ever have, but it’s also comforting to know that, while my chances to impress the stranger are long gone, she still needs me.

Catching his words, I move to reply until sister asks me what he said. I glance over at her and smile in a fake, aggravated sort of way, nudging her with my shoulder as I answer both at once. "Momma never said father had family here," I say brightly, a quick glance given to my white and golden embellished sibling to show her that I was answering her question, too, "it’s good to meet you. I’m Rikyn, and this is my Thistle Sister...she doesn’t have a real name yet I don’t think. I’m, uh, well." I pause, smiling ruefully at the older stallion and seeing a lot of father in him now that he’s pointed this out to me and finding that its harder to tell him the truth of what I’m doing out here because of this.

"I’m sort of avoiding mother," my smile flashes easily across dark lips and a bit of light laughter ushers forth, ears loosely hanging to either side of my head and lion’s tail curling anxiously behind me and a smile over to my sister, "and I guess spending time with Thistlebabe. Momma doesn’t let her come with us very often."

Torleik
The beard of glory...

At least the boy looked more like Ulrik than Illynx; for that, Torleik was grateful. However, a special kind of hate bubbled up in his throat when this tiny, white, winged thing came bumbling into their conversation.

Could he not have any peace?! Could he not have any manner of respite from his pain?

For the briefest flash of time, anger consumed his glacially blue eyes as he gazed on this filly - and then he noticed her horns. She was both unicorn...and pegasus. Now that was very intriguing. What unicorn would mate with a pegasus, and bring the child here? Torleik's mind was spinning as Rikyn told him Illynx didn't often allow this hybrid filly to come with them.

That offended Torleik on a basic and moral level. Why the hell not? What was inherently wrong with her that a child, who knew nothing other than the life she had now, would be punished for something she could not control? As much as he might despise the winged ones, he despised their adults who had the cognizance to choose their actions and answer for their betrayals.

A child knew none of this.

The smile that quirked Torleik's dark lips was rueful, but Rikyn probably didn't know that yet. He'd learn, one day. "I'm sure she didn't. You can call me Uncle Torleik, if you'd like. I won't mind." His gaze slipped to the unnamed hybrid filly and cocked his head to the side. "You have no name, little one?" he inquired softly.

Her wings were not her fault. She was only a babe. He could not hate her for her parentage. Oh how that conflicted with his desire to shun all winged liars; but hypocrisy was easily silenced if you tried hard enough to drown it out. Irelyn's chirp of curiosity alerted him to her presence as she landed in the midst of all three of them. She had yet to come across children old enough to play with, and still young herself, she was excited. Naturally, the owl-griffin was drawn to the babe with wings and she gave a little chirp towards the filly, taking a few steps closer.

"talk talk talk"

[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

AITHNIEL
Aithniel didn't mean to barrel over Rikyn, but as he suddenly became a tangle of legs on the ground, she frowned. Gently, she nudged at him, trying to help him up, unaware, for the moment, of the stranger. The hybrid was not exactly a part of Rikyn's mother-son talks about being proper and having good manners. Part of her liked being the barbarian child, just to give Illynx something to grump about. The tall, dark stranger was intimidating, so she stood close by her brother whom she had just knocked over.

The chunks of grass in his mane were marring his otherwise handsome appearance, so she used her lips to carefully remove each one. Not having paid any bit of attention, she asked him what the dark one had said. The exasperated look was not appreciate, so Aithniel wrinkled her nose at him pointedly and stood with more distance when his shoulder pushed her away. Avoiding eye contact for a moment, convinced to hold at least more than a 5 second grudge, she listened.

Oh, this is a relative of that dark, scary machine maker who was Rikyn's father. How Rikyn, the sweet, intelligent boy, came from Illynx and Ulrik, she would never know. Then he said that she didn't have a name, and she sighed heavily. Of course she had a name. Just because he didn't know it didn't mean that she didn't have one. Aithniel had sort of named herself, but in a way, she knew that the name meant more.

She smiles at the thought that Rikyn had run away from Illynx just to spend time with her, and the grudge was instantly gone. The dark one spoke to her then, and she realized that unlike Ulrik, this one had kind, sea blue eyes. "My name is Aithniel," she said, looking between him and her brother.

Aithniel then heard the chirp of a creature and saw a cat-owl approach. With a squeal of delight, the little girl shoved Rikyn in the shoulder with her excitement, squishing her nose against his fluff. The hybrid danced her hooves around the cat-owl, leaning down to sniff deeply. "Cat-owl!"

Image Credit

But burn down our home
I won't leave alive

I watch the anger flash across the tall, strong man’s face and cannot help but feel a small faltering within myself in fear for Aithniel and then reeling back into a confused fear as to why he stayed mad when I said she wasn’t usually allowed to come with us. Surely this man knew of the rules mother lived by? I was under the opinion that most of them were of the same mind that she was if the meeting I had gone to with her was any precursor, and that it roused such emanations from the dual horned titan confuses me.

My face probably reads as much as I stare at him with large, unblinking eyes, leaning ever so slightly towards my sister (perhaps I shouldn’t have shoved her away so soon) until a smile breaks the hostility that had turned him into fearsome stone. If he is father’s cousin, I’m looking forward to my future – the thought of being as impressive a figure as this man or my dad makes a young boy’s heart flutter.

He’s suddenly much nicer than he had been at first, which almost makes me smile because it reminds me of father and his moods – but I am also worried that any giggles or grins on my behalf may come across as mockery and so I remain stoic in the face of my humorous comparison. I catch the name my sister has given herself and I am not so tactful in restraining the grin that breaks my features.

It’s a pretty name, one that suits her well and that I like repeating to myself silently.

A chirp draws my eyes downwards and Aithniel’s shoulder jostles me, and as she squeals in delight I take in a sharp inhalation of excitement and bound forward as well. "A griffon!" I cry, echoing the more childish name that my sister has given the creature with its real title. Hopefully Uncle will not judge her for not knowing what it is called – I already told him that momma doesn’t have much to do with her and, unfortunately, sounding like an idiot is a consequence. I mentally mark down in my young mind to teach her about companions the next time we have a chance to be alone together so she doesn’t make that mistake again.

"Oh, she’s so pretty!" my nose is lowered and I admire the color of her feathers and the wide, intelligent eyes nestled in her face. The creature is even more wonderful than it had sounded to me when momma had described them and I can’t stop staring for the life of me. "What’s her name? How did you get her egg? Momma says there is an old turtle that hoards them."

She hadn’t actually said those words exactly, but from what my little mind can remember and process that’s the best paraphrasing job I can accomplish. I think the story was more along the lines of that she’d found an old turtle once who had an egg and that he’d said he did it quite often, but that was just too many words for such an exciting moment.

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

Torleik
The beard of glory...

"Aithniel," he repeated, testing the name. "How is it that you ended up with Illynx and her son, Aithniel?" Torleik asked. The answers of children were often the most honest ones of all. Rikyn seemed to be trying very hard to be manly, and for that, Torleik was amused. Young boys always made so many attempts to emulate their elders, thinking that adults were mythically special, magical beings able to accomplish whatever they wanted and be however they chose.

A shame that children did not understand how blissful and peaceful their early years were. Youth truly was wasted on the young.

Irelyn was thrilled to be around children and flung herself at them, Aithniel calling her a cat-owl (which was not wrong), while Rikyn knew her proper name to be a griffin. Said griffin ruffled up her feathers when Rikyn complimented her and said she was pretty, feeding his tiny bonded's ego. "Her name is Irelyn, and she is an owl-griffin," the stallion stated more for Aithniel's benefit than Rikyn's. He had the opportunity to be educated whereas the hybrid filly did not.

Amused by the simplicity of the observation given by Ulrik's offspring, Torleik chuckled softly. "Maybe the turtle does hoard them; I certainly obtained this egg from a turtle. He judged three of us on how worthy we were to take care of the egg by what gifts we brought. I was deemed most worthy."

@[Aithniel]
@[Rikyn]

"talk talk talk"

No man is an island.

AITHNIEL

Aithniel watched Rikyn exclaim that the cat-owl was actually called a griffon. Well, it looked like a cat-owl, but she supposed that griffon was a reasonable enough name for the fluffy little creature. While her brother was busy obsessing over the creature that she admittedly was obsessing over too, the large stallion asked her a question. She looked up at him and smiled.

"Illynx and Rikyn found me in a field," she said honestly. "I was hungry." She stopped there, as if those were explained everything. To her, they did. Aithniel did not know much else than that. Where had she been born? Somewhere sandy. Where did they find her? A meadow somewhere. All she really remembered was being incredibly hungry and unable to go any further.

Irelyn was very sweet, and Aithniel snorted in amusement when Rikyn relayed his mother's story. A turtle? A turtle held all the eggs? What a stupid story. Well, she thought it was stupid until Torleik basically said the exact same thing, and she widened her eyes in awe. Okay, so a turtle apparently did hoard eggs. Maybe she should be on the lookout for turtles?

Aithniel wondered what she would have to do to be worthy? Certainly she was not as worthy as Torleik. He was big and brave and strong. "Maybe one day I will be worthy too," she said with a smile, looking down at the griffon happily.

"Talking"
Image Credit

But burn down our home
I won't leave alive

For once, the conversation focuses on my sister, and while I do feel twinges of jealousy that my Uncle is ignoring me for my adopted sibling, I concede and let her have the attention that she so rarely gets from any adults aside from momma when its time for dinner. I tried really hard to ask questions during that time about whatever it was we’d learned that day for Aithniel’s benefit, but my dam was not stupid for as much as she was insane and very rarely played along. That had left me with only a few stolen moments with her where I could either play (which was by far the better choice) or play barely-older-brother-teacher with her (which was terribly droll, and not one of my strong suits).

The question he asks manages to tear my eyes away from the griffon for a moment before they flutter back, ears taking in Aith’s response and smiling softly at her lack of detail. Is that really all she knew about how we’d found her? I snort chuckle in a somewhat mean way, not truly to hurt her – because it isn’t her fault she doesn’t know – but to remind her how others will treat her when her ignorance shows so clearly. It’s a mean thing momma has taught me and despite that it makes me feel like shit when she does it to me, it’s really fun to do to other people.

"I found you. We almost passed you, actually, but you were very white and the grass was quite green," I say proudly, looking up from Irelyn with a pleased smile on my lips as I look over at my snowy sibling, "momma was eating lunch in the Thistle Meadow and we heard you crying." I wonder why it is we’ve never talked about this before, but shrug it off with ease and slip my eyes back to the griffon now that I’ve told them all I know about where she had come from.

Uncle Torleik tells us her name as we both fall back into playing with her, a pretty sounding thing that is followed shortly after by a mocking snort from my sister. I look over at her hotly, brows creased and my golden eyes burning with agitation. It’s what momma had said! Why would she make up some nonsense story about a turtle?

The laugh of the nearby stallion draws my eyes towards him, his words cooling my temper and putting a stupid expression on Aithniel’s face and I smile smugly to know she had wrongly mocked me. That there really is a turtle takes a moment to dawn on me because of my jilted ego – and when it does, I struggle against making the same face she does.

There really is a turtle that hoards eggs?!

My eyes look over excitedly at my Thistle Sister, the yearning to find this creature and take one of his precious eggs pulsing in my head as I plot how we’ll steal away into the wilds to look for him.

But she’s not looking at me. She’s looking at the griffon, a dreamy look on her face. And what she says makes me frown and feel really, really sad – mostly because what momma says of her means she’ll never be worthy of much of anything. I don’t agree, of course; she’s smart, even if she doesn’t know very much, and her heart is strong. I have more fun playing with Aithniel than I do during any other part of my day, and I know in my heart that she’s not the monster that everyone says she is. Why would I like her so much if she was?

"I hope so too," I say, looking at her with a less hostile and arrogant smile on my face, one that resonates with the truth that I deeply wish it for her but that I also wouldn’t mind having a bonded friend, too, "you can even have a griffon if you want, Aith! You have horns. Momma said they only bond with those who have them." My smile grows excited, golden eyes flashing with the knowledge I have that Aithniel does not, eager to share it with her but not wanting to be rude in front of my uncle – he probably knows all of this too, after all. But, eager as all boys, some spills out anyway. "Ohhh, or you have wings!" my body trembles with excitement at the notion that she can bond with the pegasus creatures, the burning birds that had sounded ever so fascinating no matter the disgust that had tinged momma’s voice when she talked of them, "Momma says that there are these great big birds that are on fire and occasionally burn into nothing and become hatchlings again. Those are only for people who can fly though." The last sentence is spoken with a barely hidden bitterness, some jealousy managing to have found its way into my heart as soon as I’d put together that Aith, one day, would be able to be like a bird and fly away from this place and anything else she felt was holding her down.

That meant she could leave me, and I didn’t like that thought much at all.

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

Torleik
The beard of glory...

The children's uncle listened attentively, curious to see the difference in information between the two. Aithniel gave a simplistic, bare-bones answer and Rikyn fleshed it out more, causing Torleik to frown. Of all the mares in this land to walk by an abandoned babe, Illynx was the last one he would wish on any creature with wings. He certainly admitted prejudice, but he didn't think winged equines were of some sort of...lesser blood, or inherently lesser as sentient beings.

They were just best to be avoided, and not trusted.

How must it be to grow up with your 'mother' treating you as Illynx likely treated this small, white child? How could you abuse a child? Obviously Illynx wasn't physically violent but it was no stretch to assume the Lady of the Basin was emotionally harmful to Aithniel. Anger burned brightly in his dark breast, and he turned to Rikyn.

"Where is your mother, Rikyn?" The question was delivered with the seriousness of an adult, enough to (he hoped) compel the child to answer honestly. There was a certain way to speak to young ones, to make them understand when they needed to be clear without frightening them and causing them to lie out of fear of disappointing anyone. Torleik was good at walking that fine line; he was gentle and calm, but his natural demeanor lent itself to seriousness.

But of course, Irelyn was more interesting than just another unicorn to the two children and the dual-horned stallion gladly answered questions about her. He was pleased to see she had little ones to play with and a sense of joy suffused their bond as she frolicked. Such simplicity in children. Torleik appreciated that.

Such honesty, too. Aithniel's verbal wish that she might be worthy one day prodded at his heart and the large stallion gently pressed his muzzle to her little forehead. "I am sure you will be. A good heart and honest intentions make you so, even if no one else acknowledges it. Just remember that, because the world is a selfish place that doesn't like to reward selflessness very often," he advised, "even though you should always try to act for the good of others where you can."

Torleik's glance shifted to Rikyn too, hoping that his words might sink in to the young male's mind - though he had less than little hope that the colt would turn out to be anything but a racist sociopath, rather like both of his parents. He was very fond of Ulrik, and would defend his cousin in a heartbeat, but the rabicano was not blind: Ulrik was just a racist and just as cold as Illynx could be; his only saving grace was that he cared more about his machines than people, and thus others were often spared his particular brand of madness.

Ulrik's...oddity...was also borne of genius. Illynx was no genius, as much as she'd like to think highly of her intelligence. She was just a sad, insecure thing that put down others to fill the voids in her life. He respected her resiliency and cleverness where it was due, but that did not extend far. How horribly she would ruin these two impressionable lives' futures.

It saddened him deeply.

Rikyn was saying something about the companions Aithniel could have and the adult snorted at the mention of a fiery bird. Fire and wings seemed inseparable. How apt. "Very true, Rikyn," he complimented, encouraging the boy's knowledge. "Unicorns or half unicorns may have griffins, pegasi or half pegasi may have zephyrs, and regular equines or half equines may have dragons."

Reaching out to Irelyn through their bond, he gave her a direction. "Draw Rikyn away, out of earshot." His owl-griffin looked at him curiously, but trusted him; so, she lightly batted at the colt's scruffy little form, landing a clawless smack squarely on his nose. Wiggling her form in pleasure and the desire to play chase, she bounded away for the child to follow. With a restraining hoof, Torleik gently kept Aithniel from following, looking down at her with kindness bordering on affection.

"I have a secret for you, but you must promise to keep it for me. Do you want to hear?" he inquired in a hushed, conspiratorial whisper. Children loved such things, he'd found, and this secret was not harmful or dangerous. The stallion just wanted to make Aithniel feel special in her own way without Rikyn or his possible jealousy involved.

@[Aithniel]
@[Rikyn]

"talk talk talk"

No man is an island.

AITHNIEL
Aithniel's expression turned stiff as Rikyn told this great, big stallion her story and that she was crying. The filly tilted her ears back and looked out at the mountains, trying to avoid the rest of the conversation. Did Rikyn really have to go saying all of those things? Suddenly, he asked where Illynx was, and the entire situation was just getting way too weird. Why did he need to know where she was? What was going on?

Torleik's words were advanced, but she thought that she got the idea. He was trying to tell her to be selfless in a world where everyone was selfish. Part of her wanted to accept that and try to be nice, but who was? The only one she really trusted and wanted to be nice to was Rikyn. Everyone else was kind of creepy. This tall, black stallion was nice, but even then... that look in his blues eyes was intense.

Rikyn said that she might end up being able to bond with some great big bird, and that was an interesting idea. Maybe she didn't really want that, but it was an interesting idea. Honestly, she hadn't really considered what she would want, if anything. "I like the cat-owl," she said simply, looking at Irelyn. "But birds are pretty." She said nothing, and she knew it. Speaking was for those who had something to say - and she did not.

Then, Torleik surprised her even more. He said that he had a secret. Aithniel raised her brows and instinctually leaned in. "What is it?"

Image Credit

But burn down our home
I won't leave alive

When Uncle asks me where momma is, there is a certain tone to the way he says it that makes my ears fall back ever so slightly and my eyes broaden, mostly because I’m not sure how I should approach this situation. He sounds… less than amused, I guess is how I’ll word it, and in all honesty, I don’t know where mom is – though it’s probably somewhere, looking for me. A quick glance over at Aithniel verifies that she’s not sure of the direction this is going, either, which leaves it to just me.

A broad, childish smile expands on my lips, one dark shoulder rolling in a dismissive way. "Probably looking for me," is my roguish reply, toothy grin fading as I looked around me in the sudden realization that she could discover us here at any moment, "why?" The question is returned to him as my eyes fall back to the large stallion before me, one hoof digging at the dirt before me as reality, the truth that I will have to find momma at some point, begins to find its first foot holds in my games of escape. "I can find her, if you need her for somethin’," I begrudgingly admit, thinking to myself that I would likely only have to throw myself down and have a fit and she’d come running with fear plastered all across her stupid face for my efforts.

It wouldn’t be hard.

Uncle Torleik, I notice, has good advice; where I mindlessly quip my love at my sister, he gives her solid truths to build herself around. I listen, too, not wanting to miss any lessons Aithniel had but also wanting to make sure that he wasn’t trying to take advantage of her; momma warned me that many here won’t be nice to my Thistle Babe, and that they will make her cry and will trick her into unkind things. But Uncle seems kind, and the words he shares make sense, at least in a way. It was a lot like a nicer version of mother’s be yourself no matter what anyone thinks stories, less involved around one’s selfish desires and focused around the emotional qualities of a person.

I blink slowly in response, not really sure what to say when comparing such two different moral lessons.

Selflessness? Did that mean choosing someone else over yourself more often than not?

What a terrible notion that was; you’d never get anywhere in life with that sort of attitude. Sure, I felt some degree of giving when I looked at the girl alongside me, or when with my friends or family, but to always be the sort of person to think of how it would benefit others rather than myself?

Suddenly I find that I’m watching my hooves while my head churns away at this new information, suddenly a caricature of my father as the wheels of knowledge click and whir within my brain, picking apart every small facet of what he had just told Aithniel and myself until it fits in with all else that I know.

It takes some time.

When I’m praised for knowing of companions, I do manage to escape my ruminations long enough to flash a proud smile at Uncle and another look at Aithniel, to make sure I hadn’t wounded her feelings. Instead, she’s sharp as ever with her own retorts, and I smile all the more broadly that she is always so quick and distinct in her decisions in ways that I can dwell on them for weeks and never truly have an answer, unless that answer was solid fact.

When it comes to me, what I feel, what I want, and what I need – I’m not so sure. Maybe Aithniel being alone so often has given her more advantages than I might have thought.

As I look at her with an almost sad expression of realization, a paw suddenly thumps against my nose, the tingling sensation ripping a sneeze from deep within my lungs and making my back end rise from the ground in the sudden motion. Overly cross with this display of absolute idiocy I’d just been forced to put on in front of people I was trying to impress, my tail slashes with annoyance until I note the playful stance that Irelyn has taken, how she tempts me into her game – and while I’m pretty sure that I’m being gotten rid of by the way Torleik eyes me (momma gets rid of me fairly often for her private affairs she doesn’t want me to know of), it seems just as entertaining to play with the griffon as it does to eavesdrop.

Aithniel will probably tell me what he said later, anyway.

With a feigned snort of savagery I plunge away from my Uncle and sister, playfully swatting at the griffon with my tail as I trot by, occasionally parrying her swats with a small, partially formed and knubby gold and black horn.

Wishlist - Plots