the Rift

[OPEN] Sooner or later it's over
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
Remember rights that I did wrong, so here I go.</style>

Gaucho had fled the Threshold more out of confusion than fear. That is not to say that deep within Gaucho's primitive mind there wasn't a small kernel of fear, for there was. And it was growing.

HOW HE KNOW MY NAME Gaucho mentally bellowed, which was received with a sharp hiss from Mara. When the beast had left Helovia, his connection with Mara had faded away almost entirely, until only their souls remained in contact, but not their minds. This was not too terribly difficult for the pair - while Mara's vocabulary had grown considerably, it wasn't as though she had become accustomed to speaking with Gaucho. If anything, it was a bit of a vacation, as she did not have to supplement the speech of others with a translation for her primal companion. Even so, she did find it more calming to have access to his thoughts once again, other than his continual mental shouting. It seemed that was another area that Gaucho had forgotten - how to speak plainly to her mind.

Sssssssssssssssssssh She replied, smacking the broad space between his eyes with her tail. Sssssilk. From the cavesssss. The wraithsssss. Mara mentally suggested - sending images of the crystalline walls and his cowering herd safely held within. Images of Africa, Midas and Sohalia...But Gaucho's mind remained perplexingly dull. How could he not remember them? Perhaps he just needed to see them, to smell the rain and dust on their coats, to be reminded of how small they were in comparison...Perhaps then he would remember his family.

And so, Mara directed him out of the Threshold on the ground. They would likely have a better chance of meeting someone - anyone - down here.

Gaucho's stormy gaze searched through the trees, and in his mind Mara could feel him looking for something, but could not tell what. Likely the beast didn't know that either. To her, it didn't feel as though the memories were gone, simply blocked. Covered by some opaque lining that every now and then would shimmer in a memorable way, but only fleetingly before it disappeared. With a grunt, the dun's antlered skull bobbed gently as he picked his way carelessly through the trees. The ground here was rather moist, and his large hooves made squelching sounds as they dug into the moss and mud. He cared little who heard or saw; he was after all, a stranger in these lands.

@[Cera] and @[Amani]

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

Accompanied by the heat that crawled along his flesh from the sun above in the arid desert, the soothing relief of the overhanging branches of the pines was appreciated. Nearly overwhelmingly so, with the coolness that dissipated into the ground, making it soft and pliable beneath his hooves. Despite his hatred of the forest encroaching on his homeland's territory, the shade was blissful on blistering days. Even with bad blood between himself and the past that lay dead and buried in the land, it had been in the forest that he'd found Amani, and the young stallion fervently hoped it was a sign that his fate with the land would begin to change. Perhaps it was a sign of growth, of continuity. Either way, whether he attempted to make symbolism out of every encounter or merely took it at face value, he had somehow been convinced to return. Ilaria cooed in agreement from his shoulder, evoking a snort of amusement from snowy nostrils. Always the optimist.

Squelch. Squelch. Squelch.

Harks twisted, pausing lean legs that pushed through the deepening earth to ensure it was not his own advancement through the mud that he was hearing. Surely enough, despite the thick smell of pine and earth concealing the stranger's scent, there was another being walking amidst the trees. A grunt of breath was assurance of that conclusion. Intrigued, though simultaneously wary with his own past experiences coloring his judgment, the youth changed direction. Nickering softly into the air to announce his own presence, pillars lifted high out of the mud as gait picked up, moving to intercept the stranger. There was no harm in sating curiosity, right?

Gaucho!

Cera's steps faltered at Ilaria's sudden cry, the pulling of his locks in her claws as she tried to command him into turning his head to the left where she had already been looking. Surely enough, despite the hesitancy of his turning, emotions a ball of confusion in his stomach, it was Gaucho's familiar form that fell beneath his gaze. "Gaucho?" Disbelief colored the breath of the name that fell from his lips, turning and approaching slowly, unsure with how to handle the sudden appearance of one of the few Cera held in high esteem. Gaucho was like family to him, after all.

@[Gaucho] That was bad, but I'm sure it'll improve haha

If your heart wears thin, I will hold you up, and I will hide you when it gets too much
I am Ceraaaa
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Ascended Helovian

He wasn't surprised that he had come upon another - or that they had come upon him. He was after all, stomping rather haphazardly through the woods, paying little attention to what his wings brushed up against, or his hooves squashed. It just didn't matter - his mind was far too baffled, far too overloaded with information that didn't make sense. It couldn't possibly make sense, no matter how much Mara insisted that it was the truth.

It wasn't. It couldn't be. He would remember it, if it was.

As adamant as Gaucho was, fate it seemed, would have none of his dogmatic musings. As Cera called out, instead of hearing his own name, he seemed to hear: Well! If you're so sure that it's all a lie, how does he know your name, smarty pants? Explain that! Gaucho ears flickered backwards immediately, as his striped chest swung to face the youth.

It should have been a happy reunion. Instead of confusion, Gaucho should have made a joke about Cera, for once, not being covered in blood. He might have mentioned that he met his sister - well, sister of sorts - Jiji. That she had been a wraith! Had she been healed? But of course, if he had his memory back, she would know that she had. That the darkness had been beaten back and peace restored across the lands. Alas, instead of all that joy, only a hardened confusion resounded in the dun's stormy gaze as it fell upon the youth.

Gaucho's flame tipped wings slunk back to his sides, illuminating his sculpted figure in a warm amber glow. In his antlers, Mara hissed brightly - for her memory of Cera hadn't been erased. Regardless of Gaucho's annoyance, the snake slipped down his neck and chest, winding her way around his leg until her steel coloured body could slither easily against the ground. Making her way towards Cera, she rose up slightly, waving back and forth with a reptilian smile - one that perhaps was not immediately obvious, were one not acquainted with snakes.

"What." He asked flatly, his voice betraying little of the frustration and confusion that he felt churning within. Questions brimmed and frothed in his mind - who is this? How he know me?

@[Cera]

Image Credits

In the moment when their eyes met, a feeling of unease settled in Cera's stomach. There was no recognition in Gaucho's face, no warm voice to gruffly speak his name. He feared the duplicates had returned, terrified that he would have to fight for his life against an abomination of the warrior he saw more and more like a father. There was no doubt in his mind that Cera could not best Gaucho in any sort of battle, especially one to the death. Cera had no magic to aid him, and even less experience that did not involve his life being on the line. No. Mara is with him. This is Gaucho. Something wrong. Cera's guarded expression softened and he stepped back with a bob of his head to try and put Gaucho at ease. Mara's hissing drew his attention, and he smiled to see her familiar form. "Hello, Mara. She has grown a lot since I last saw her," he smiled softly at Gaucho as he directed the latter portion to him, trying to convey a feeling of safety and calmness to the tense warrior. Ilaria was right. Something was definitely wrong with his family member. Cera would not rest until he found out what, exactly, it was.

Smiling brighter than the flames that illuminated Gaucho's form to see Mara slither towards him, he dropped his head and breathed softly upon her. "You are as beautiful as ever, miss Mara," he laughed softly. Perhaps she could not understand him, but he had always been overly fond of companions, and bonded well with them. She truly was a gorgeous serpent, so he was not lying in the least. Gaucho's terse words, or perhaps word was more befitting, made him pause and slowly lift his crown once more. Confusion colored his features. Was Gaucho...hurt?

"Gaucho, you disappeared. For many seasons. The Dragon's Throat has been trying to find you. Are you well? What has happened to you, brother?" Cera's natural gentleness colored his vocals, reaching out to wrap around Gaucho with a soft surety, blanketing him in a puzzled concern for his family. If only he could understand Mara, perhaps he could glean more about the situation.

---
@[Gaucho]! I like this post a lot better haha. Also found a great quote for this thread because I'm a nerd.

And they said you were the crooked kind, and that you'd never have any worth, but you were always gold to me
I am Ceraaaa
Ascended Helovian

Mara swayed back and forth as the youth greeted her. She cast a dark but friendly gaze towards the bear-thing, intending to show that she meant no harm - before trying to wrap herself around Cera's foreleg. She had already tried communicating with other companions, an effort that proved fruitless. She simply had no way of communicating with anyone about Gaucho's current state of mind. The best that she could do, was to show that she hadn't forgotten, even if it was clear that her bonded had.

Gaucho's dark gaze clouded even more at this display. Mara continued to send flashes of Cera - bloodied face,at Midas' side. The golden youth speaking on his behalf. None of which registered in the warrior's mind. As Cera spoke to Mara, the WildFire's ears flicked backwards. It was one thing to pretend to know his name, to make up stories about who he was...but to include Mara was something else. The golden one had done it in the Threshold. Now this one now. How dare they include Mara in whatever twisted plot this was?

As Cera mentioned the Dragon's Throat, Gaucho snorted as if with disgust. Right. The Throat of the Dragon. Where he was supposedly a leader. Well, at least they were all keeping their stories straight. Was this supposed to be more convincing, than the dark one, the golden one, and the almost-cousin one? Was this adult-child who knew Mara's name, supposed to impress upon him whatever responsibilities he supposedly had? Well. It wouldn't work.

On the ground, in response to these thoughts, Mara shook her head. Her pleading dark gaze rose to try and seek out Cera's, to apologize as best she could for whatever was about to happen next.

"Not gaezo." Gaucho replied, his flaming wings rising tersely. "Not know you, rakhi, so you can stop qosarvenikh. No more lies."

Gaucho's antlers lowered ominously. He had fought the golden child who had followed him, and he would fight this one too. If only so that the truth could finally be revealed.

Gaezo - Brother
Rakhi - Boy, but meant as an insult
Gosorvenikh - lying.

Image Credits

Ilaria cooed down at Mara, trusting of the serpent that wound herself around the pale ankle of her bonded. Cera gently moved to brush soft lips against her cool, scaled side that curled around his flesh. He was as soft as he could be with the reptile, careful not to harm her or shift his position and disrupt her. She had been as present in his life as Ilaria and Fina, and while he could not read her mind or speak her language, he was eternally fond of her. However long she desired to cling to him was fine in his mind, and he would abide willingly. With eyes hidden away by blond tresses, brows clenched towards one another. Something was wrong with Gaucho. He wished he could ask Mara, glean from her whatever was hiding in the stallion's mind, but it was an impossible wish.

Slowly glancing up, drawing head higher to meet Gaucho's gaze levelly, he tried to clear his mind and think. Ears flicked halfway back upon his crown as his words were met with hostility, flaming appendages rising threateningly and derisive snort crackling into the air. Words he couldn't understand punctuated a promise of violence. Lies? Cera peered at Gaucho, trying to understand. He did not call Cera by his name, nor did he show any recognition when Cera mentioned their homeland. "Not know you," he had said. And suddenly, it clicked. Gaucho had amnesia.

Cera slid his wings close to his body, head turning to the side in an act of appeasement. Even so his eyes met Gaucho's in an attempt to form some sort of visible bond. "Gaucho...you have forgotten, haven't you? You don't know me, or anybody else. But I can help you remember. Mara remembers me, right? Ask her. I tell the truth. You don't have to trust me...but I am a disciple of the Gods." He struggled to find words that Gaucho would trust, anything that could help calm the stallion. Cera wished he'd realized sooner, had not been so familiar with the stag, and only prayed that somehow he could convince the warrior to listen to him.

"The Gods I serve can return your memory. I can take you to them. I won't make you go anywhere, but I know everything is very confusing. It is your choice. I only want to help." Slowly he turned his crown back and with sad eyes lowered his head down to where Mara was encircled around his leg. "I will not fight you, Gaucho. I will not harm Mara, nor you. Attack if you will, but I refuse to do the same." With bated breath he closed his eyes, ready to accept any sort of blow should Gaucho decide he was lying once more or the Diviner had confused him beyond acceptance. His only fear was that he would stumble and somehow hurt Mara, should the stag truly engage him in battle. He hoped the snake would aid him, would try to help him convince Gaucho to let Cera lead him to the Veins. It was clear he could not be convinced to return to the Dragon's Throat. It was dangerous, maybe, to make himself so prone in the eyes of a predator who could not recall any emotional attachment with the painted child, but he had to try.

@[Gaucho] And is the contrast better? I could hardly read it on my laptop.

And they said you were the crooked kind, and that you'd never have any worth, but you were always gold to me
I am Ceraaaa
Ascended Helovian

"Not forgotten-" he sneered with an anger never before directed at Cera. "memory stolen. Stolen by liars."

As if to reiterate for Cera's benefit that Mara had indeed been trying to communicate that her bonded knew the growing golden child, she bobbed her head rapidly along with his words. Cccccccera She mentally hissed, running her smooth face up and down his canon bone as if in a nuzzle. Ccccera. Ssssssson of Midassssss Well, not quite. But close enough. No need to add extra confusion. Still, this act had no effect on the WildFire. Even though Mara had been telling him relentlessly that he did know those that he met, that it wasn't a trap, he simply couldn't believe her. Yes she had access to her own memories but... wasn't it possible that they had both been tricked? That Gaucho's mind had been erased, while Mara's had been falsely filled? This possibility, no matter how remote, continued to fuel the distrust and anger that constantly burned within Gaucho's soul.

The dun's ears flattened, no longer listening to paint. His words were too many, spoken too fast, but even if they weren't, the time for listening was over.

Raising a flaming hoof, Gaucho slammed it into the soil, mentally demanding that Mara return to him. Sulkily, the snake did as she was told, hissing softly and fondly at Cera, before slinking back to Gaucho, and taking her place in his antlers. Gaucho was done playing games. That golden child had followed him into the woods, and she had paid for her lies. Her blood still dripped from the spikes of his collar. But the blood of one was not enough - if this trickery was to continue, it would not do so without the sacrifice of those continuing it.

Without warning, Gaucho lunged forward with every intention of spearing Cera's shoulder with his spikes - perhaps even burning him for good measure. White teeth appeared behind black lips, and the whites of Gaucho's eyes showed, as his large body suddenly began careening towards the Diviner. He would break his body and burn it - as he had with Aurelia. He would pluck his feathers and dip them in his blood, he would -

Cera

Mara's words suddenly invaded his mind. Was she speaking again, or was he simply remembering how her words sounded?

Had he... been in this forest before? Hadn't he seen Cera already covered in blood in this place? Hadn't he...

...once loved the boy?

Confusion and a new kind of uncertainty ambushed Gaucho's simple mind, diverting his course. At the last possible instance before Gaucho's body aimed to collide with Cera's, the WildFire's wings flew from his sides, carrying him swiftly upwards without disturbing so much as a hair from the dual-coloured coat. Gaucho however, was not so lucky. His sudden ascent upwards sent him sharply through the canopy of trees, which scratched and pulled feathers and skin alike from his dark body, trying to keep within under their canopy. With a loud grunt, Gaucho broke free of their leafy constraints, sending boughs and leaves falling to the ground below.

Image Credits