the Rift

[PRIVATE] Earthquake. (Closed)

Oxy the Addict Posts: 322
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2hh :: 9 [Tallsun] HP: 73.5 | Buff: DANCE
Unnamed :: Common Boggart :: Mayhem Sevin
Oxy
With the herd meeting over and your high disappointingly less than it was before, you wait for the golden king to descent from his holy throne and try to follow him through the woods. “Hey...” you call out, hoping he figures it's him that you're shouting towards. You still haven't figured out his name (did he say it during the herd meeting? You weren't listening...) and you doubt that he prefers to be called Golden Asshole. You think it suits him better, of course, but he has proven to care little about your opinion thus far. Not that he's heard it... you furrow your brow wondering what exactly it is you hold against him for a moment before deciding to just sort of grumbling about it instead. Who cares. Your reasons are your reasons. And if your reason is that he hasn't read your mind and realized that you're obviously the best person for the general job and that he's placed done nothing but place an idiotic pair of fools into that position well... then you think your reason is pretty justified

Anyways, you're not here for idle chit-chat and to figure out names and make nice and all that crap. You've got business to attend to. Reaching behind you, you grab Eris' feather cape from your back and toss it on the ground in front of you, kicking it in a rather good display of disgust, if you do say so yourself. Honestly, the feeling is real. You're getting more than annoyed about carrying the stupid thing around and Rose Red has never really been your favorite person in the world. But you're getting distracted again. Back to the important stuff. “You recognize it?” Your brown eyes look for his creepy, pupil-less ones for some sort of recognition. Better to get him to say Rose Red's name and come to the conclusion on his own, if he knows that it belongs to her... You're not really sure of her real name either and last time you tried to introduce her as Rose Red there was a lot of confusion and not a lot of comprehension.

Come to think of it, you should probably work harder at remembering people's names if you're going to be doing all this back and forth nonsense... But whatever. One thing at a time.

@[Midas] and @[Seele] if you want, but not necessary <3
scars remind us our past is real
Image Credit
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Oxy at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Please do not tag Oxy unless it is in an opening post
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas
the one to see you through your darkest times

Another meeting finished, another dip into the hands of fate, I’d walked off from the crowd; allowing those that would linger and mingle with their comrades a chance to do so without my eyes having to watch the interaction. A weight pulled upon head as I walked off, crown carried itself with grace and the utmost care of position—to them I’d look confident perhaps even powerful. But when the curtains were shut I’d lower my cranium into a more humble stance. Weakness among those that still might be wolves in disguise wasn’t something I planned on entertaining.

I’d almost made it out of the bodies and into the forest when a voice called out. Not my name in particular….Fina chirped and glanced back, one ear slivered toward skull and attention was momentarily shifted to fixate on the beast of a man which had called out. Our gaze locked, and I knew that my silent departure wasn’t going to be so easy. There was no frown or smile upon face, only the curious upturn of brow and a slight bend of head to nod his way. An acknowledgement that I’d heard him speak. Frame pauses motion and for a brief second there is silence between us, ebony lips move apart as if to speak but I’m halted in the attempt when Oxy thrusts down a mess feathers—a cape that I’d seen Eris with once or twice before her banishment. Knowing eyes rise to meet his chocolate pools, “Aye.” Did he swipe it from Seele? Or perhaps take it from the lass himself?

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Oxy
The chirp of the phoenix draws the attention of your own companion, the almost invisible black wisp of a girl that follows you ceaselessly. Almost instantly you feel her desire for mischief and she begins to call upon her magic that she's grown so fond of. A nearby pebble manages to rise several inches from the ground before you put an end to her nonsense with a solid No. She fears you and so she obeys, but she is none to happy with the demand. You will let her have her fun later, if she must, but she will not ruin this for you. Not now. Not when you've worked so hard.

You are more than pleased when the king claims he recognizes the feathered cape and you slowly let a smirk crawl onto your lips as you look down at him. “I took it from your very capable ex-general.” Sarcasm drips off the word capable as you spit it from your mouth with contempt. Her title had been a mere formality, a gift from the benevolent rulers of the land in an attempt to appease her, you're sure. If she ever displayed any real battle prowess, you were more than unaware of it. She didn't impress you at all while you fought her.

“She tried to convince me to join her in her plotting. I was unable to find you before the spy attempted her trickery. I was unaware she was involved.” You won't say sorry, you doubt you could stomach the word, but perhaps the king will understand. These are more words than you have spoken in a long time, particularly to somebody you're rather more interested in smashing to pieces. For added effect, you momentarily turn and show the king your newly scarred gaskin where the Blood Empress was so kind as to take a chunk of your skin. Proof of the battle, proof it was recent enough. “I didn't give her an answer yet. I can serve you... if you want.”

Blunt, straight and to the point. You can play the double agent, go to her and find what information she has, gain her trust, become one of her trusted friends... You've no need to linger and chat about the sky or the birds, the land you live in or any other formality that might be required. Of course, your service doesn't come for free... but that is to be discussed later. For now you wait. This is a delicate conversation and you're about as dainty as a bull in a china shop so you stop while you think you might be ahead and let the pegasus take the conversation where he will.
Image Credit
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Oxy at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas

Oxy grinned, a smile lacking visible teeth, but tone and words showed no evidence of the smirk being anything more than a distraction. Instead I focus on his topic and don’t bother to return that gesture. The cloak that this warrior had won—by force? “I imagine she wasn’t pleased with the loss of her personal property.” My words come forth as a murmur, neither approving nor disapproving; neutrality wasn’t hard to maintain, but my curiosity is barely masked.

He mentions the betrayal and provides evidence of a recent fray, a struggle between himself and the late asylum queen. I find no reason to doubt this or anything else the brute says, he is, after all willing to report information—and I would be foolish to turn a deaf ear toward it. Oxy had been there when Hector was inflected, his eyes had seen what I had not; and this renegade man might have just saved the amber dragon in those caves.

The proposal comes with a weighted dip and for the first time since turning to talk with Oxy a small grin slithers across the left corner, “I’d like to have more friends than enemies to keep me company.” Softly and smoothly I add, “But I'm wondering, why would ye serve me and not Eris?” Was it because I could offer him more in this present time, a home, security, even the chance at power. What stirs you Oxy, why do you offer yourself to me but not this home. YOUR new homeland.

Oxy
Really? You reveal to him that you've managed to thieve the prized possession of his estranged General and all he can offer you is a statement that he doubts she was pleased!? Your mind tries to chug through a haze as you ponder why it is that he can stay so calm in the face of the realization that he named an idiot to his council. Are you really so terrible that he's ok with having a weak moron as general and he won't even consider your prowess to have defeated her? Maybe you're just reading into it too much. To console your hurt pride, you reach into your bag and grab a vine to chew on, enjoying the way the juices drizzle across your tongue.

If you knew that he inspected you the way you inspect him, that he watches you and wants to know how you work... would it make anything different? Would you appreciate his soldier's mind instead of hating him for being a mystery to you? Maybe, and yet maybe not. You are designed to be bitter because nobody has ever proven to be trustworthy for more than a moment in time. You are jaded by years of hurt, drowning out sorrows and memories with your undesirable habits. Ideas like these are not changed in a fortnight.

But why do you offer? Because you wish to play the double agent? An hour ago that would have been the answer, but now you're not so sure. Is your offer real? You have never had to pawn yourself about as a sell-sword before and you're not entirely sure how you feel about the whole thing. But you decide to go with it, because what else can you do? “Because you have what I want. I could beat any of your soldiers ten times over in battle and I'm supposed to take orders from them?” What had been a mild gaze turns momentarily to a glare, as if you're blaming him, before retreating again to a more neutral expression. “Rose Red can only give me invented power. You can give me real power...” You watch him, curious for his reaction. Does he appreciate such candor? You do not know, but if you threaten your right to a home here you're sure there are other places you can go.
Image Credit

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas

His words are interesting and extremely bold, I try to remain impassive but my brows noticeably rise when strongly expressed claims fall from his lips. It was hard to place whether the statement was born from truth, or simply the thick headed rim of his skull. Yet this fellow vocalized that he held enough prowess to be worth the weight of not just a single soldier, but all of his kin. Whom he’d earned none on the matter of respect, not to mention name. I shifted my weight, flicking ivory locks against heels; an outward sign that I was pondering his words. Did Oxy want to lay claim to the title Legatus for defeating Eris?

The aim and his prize at my feet was evidence of this, “Ye seeks to replace Eris by right of battleclaim?” If what he said was true then the position was rightfully his. It was within my reach to give him this request—though the intent he boasted was questionable and gave me reasonable pause. How could I know that his teeth wouldn’t later find my quarter in the middle of the night, courtesy the damned queen herself? Nay, I’d have to become a mind reader to into such things, “Which ye isn’t,” Fina so coolly pointed out. I stifled the urge to roll my eyes and added instead, “Thee has that right by defeating the red woman in a challenge and I would not hold ye from it.” Trust was earned, not quickly mind ye.

Oxy
What you do not consider, in all your haste to be made Legatus just because you want it, is two very important things. One- you are upset because nobody respects you, but you have given them no reason to. You are irresponsible, rude, callous and a general nuisance on the best of days. You follow orders begrudgingly and rarely act like you are happy to serve. Two- the position of Legatus requires so much more than being a proficient warrior. As a member of the Czarship's council you would be expected to have opinions other than 'I don't care' or 'Just destroy them' on many matters. And it is these two very important facts that you have forgotten that have held you back for song long. Your habit aside, you are simply a cruel creature and no fun to be around at all.

But whatever your failures and misgivings, it seems that your bold demand must have made some impression on the small stud. He has found your meaning, giving it clear voice through your muddled words... “Sure,” you respond, doing your best to maintain your calm demeanor, but inside of you the very first inklings of a smile are beginning to bloom. Could you really be that much closer to meeting your goal? The idea of playing doubt agent begins to slip away, dancing faintly at the back of your mind, but no longer of interest. Indeed... though you may seem no better than a sell sword in this instance, you are certain that there are more benefits for you with this stud than with Eris... “But...?” you respond to his second statement, sure that there is some caveat that comes with it. He would not just name you Legatus on the spot, after all your whining and bemoaning, would he? For all your reserved almost-excitement, you still can't help but be suspicious. You often have ulterior motives, surely he does as well. You wait, brow furrowed, wondering what sort of price you will have to pay, but you honestly can't imagine a price too high for everything you have ever wanted.
Image Credit

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas

The man was crude, no doubt about that. But as I gazed across his battle weary form I saw a warrior masked beneath the ridged lines of bluntness, a raw soldier and a potent one. Perhaps he’d betray my trust eventually; yar, perhaps we’d all drown in this big bowl of a valley eventually. Our numbers had reduced far too greatly for me to deny this fellow an opportunity at the greatness he so eagerly sought. Oxy’s short agreement was all that I needed to finalize his desire, if the beast agreed to protect this family, (obviously better than Eris had) the title was his—along with its perks and powers.

He tacked on a hesitant addition and I found a small smile creeping across face in slight amusement. “Nay, there is nothing more.” Voice is soft and truthful, not mocking his doubt that there was some steep price to be paid. We followed rules for a reason, “Ye has won this victory by strength, evidence that thee deserves the title.” There was a toll to be had, but it wasn’t paid in flashy forked showing or by the value of objects. Nay, I’d be watching his movements for a time—and seeing if bold statement actually met some measure of truth. Crown dipped slightly and I tapped the gem below my breast, “Legatus.” A soldier’s salute and the first step toward accepting him into the fold of ranked officials. I glanced toward the cloak, it wasn’t a very attractive trophy…

Oxy
There is nothing more? The notion is odd to you. No price, no penance other than what you have already paid. Could you learn something from this man? Perhaps, if you were to consider it. He is a better horse than you by far- maybe why he was chosen to lead when you were not? Regardless, your almost-smile becomes a full smile, one of the few that Helovia has ever seen planed on your face, and you feel rather self-important in the moment. Funny, how someone you despise giving you a gift can change your mind of them so much. Still, you are as petty a creature as many others. Gifts make you happy; said happiness is then directed towards the giver of said gift. At least for a moment.

As he nods to you, officially giving you title, you respond with a small nod of your own, your smile having quickly faded back to a normal, neutral flat line. Noticing him eying the feather cape, you reach down and grab the thing, throwing it back over your shoulders. It may not be pretty, and you're not entirely sure what you're going to do with it, but having it still gives you an Edge of Eris... an Edge you'll need if she ever decides to show her face here again. She's weaker than you, of course, but she knows your tricks now. “I'll go find...” you helpfully inform him, trailing off towards the end. Rostislav, is of course what you meant, but since you don't like him and don't know his name, you can't pull it out of thin air. Still, like him or not, you're going to have to work with him. You frown. Maybe a good ass kicking will show him who is actually in charge? You ponder it as you wander away from the Czar unceremoniously, coming as quickly as you left.

Your companion lingers a moment longer, morphing into a miniature form of Fina and attempting to flit around Midas for a moment before drifting off towards you and becoming invisible again. Though you might not have any manners, your companion does and she has thanked Midas as best as she can.
Image Credit

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas

Only time could tell how this conversation and decision would turn out. Either I was being played the fool, or my inherence would be a loyal comrade that could eventually be counted upon. Seemed as though we’d been dabbling in luck all along, why not flit around with it some more? Oxy smiled, a toothy thing to my eyes, but one lacking its previous taunt and certainly more welcome than scowls. I returned the gesture and lifted both eyes and crown to meet his gaze.

They traveled from me, heading toward the pathway from which we’d came only minutes ago. Oxy’s reply was unfinished, ashy ears pitched forward out of curiosity on what the ebony soldier might say to finalize his statement. Nothing more came and I was treated to a rather blunt exit. What was he going to find? I wondered with a frown replacing my grin, Eris? Seele? A hole in the ground to shit upon? There was an urge to call out, beckon him in reverse to clarify the meaning.

Just as jaws started to flap apart, I noticed something quiver behind him. Like a fractured wave it moved toward me. Flesh started slightly, (shivering more than anything) when a creature trailed into existence from its invisible state. She (or it) moved before me, my honeyed eyes darted to follow the fluttering movements while I struggled to remain motionless. I’d seen fragments of this being around him thrice or so before, but never in such clarity. She (or it) was a boggart; a mythical creature from tales told to me as a suckling babe. The intriguing spirit took on the appearance of my companion, flapping near cranium, spine, and quarters before disappearing entirely. Like an amused youth, my smile widened.