the Rift

[PRIVATE] losing my faith [Mauja]

Antiope Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

To the edge of the world and back again. That's where I had been. After spending a moon traveling northwest and meeting Aurelia (which had been nice because it had been a while since I met another female pegasus), I was back on the Meadow. This time, I flew back "home", soaring above the woods and taking in all of the moonlight that the celestial body was showering on Helovia. It was times like these where I understood Inanna, what she had meant with my coloring. She had always said that I looked like a night light up by a full moon and not a single star on the sky - and she was right. My dark, silvery brown coat was like the night, a shadow above the ground with the reflection of a moon upon my back and stretching out to the tips of my wings. I forced down my wings against the wind and let them open up again, pushing me higher up in the cloudless sky. It was quite a beautiful sight, this land during the nocturnal times. There was so much life here.

Two wolves and their three cubs was sleeping in a small glade near the Deep Forest, an elk mother with her calf grazed not very far from the Threshold. As I looked back a little, I saw fluttering yet dimmed lights decorating the trees of the World's Edge-border. It looked beautiful, but I knew that I wouldn't fit in with that herd. I... I was rather alone than being with someone who wasn't my family. Inverted eyes set on the ground beneath me again and I started to sink, slowing down with my wings and just gliding smoothly down towards the big oak by the river. It had become my little, simple home. Just a plain oak, protecting me with it's long, swaying arms with it's green, oval hands and pointy fingers, always stretching out for a hug to welcome me. Dark, cloven hooves touched the ground and I galloped softly over to the tree before stopping completely.

Shaking off the dust of my sweat that had gathered over my body, I folded in my silver treasures and felt the feathers tickle the underside of my dark belly. A quiet, calm, starless night in the company of... Nobody. Wasn't my life lovely? I sighed loudly before kneeling and lying down close to the tree. I had been alone for so long. If only I had stayed with Mother... I would've had a family - maybe even a proper relationship with a doúlos. We would've lived in harmony in Aíma, nobody would've been able to harm my slave since I was royalty. I had been royalty and yet I had left that life in fear of my mother's plans.

Maybe I was just doomed to be alone.

"Talking."
tags // Mauja
wordcount // 471
ooc // Doúlos = Slave
background by asphyxiate-stock.deviantart.com
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

i am the vanguard of your destruction
The nights were shorter, and warmer, but when the black sky yawned like a gaping void, it swallowed all the day's heat regardless. It spiraled out into space, and what it did there, Mauja had no clue, but it left the early summer night pleasantly cool—almost bordering on cold, lightly dressed as he was in his summer fur. The moon lit the dark world, ran its silver hands along the edges of every blade of grass, until, rather suddenly, a shadow passed it. It was like the world had blinked, momentarily letting darkness fall across him, and his head snapped back, up, pointing into the sky as his eyes searched the heavens. Something dark was moving up there, reminiscent of Mesec, but it didn't have his bright belly.

Well, the moon's child was hardly the only black Pegasus out there.

With a sigh he let his eyes fall down again. Whatever energy he'd had had run out, dried up, and left him dispirited, broken. The world had taken on a gray cast, everything was steeped in pointlessness. Sometimes, the idea of yelling I killed Torasin and walking off the Edge seemed incredibly appealing—because it would evoke reactions in the onlookers, and rob them of the opportunity to sentence him to some ghastly sentence of hippie-cuddling.

Racism didn't flare in his blood anymore, but when in the pits of depression, the one thing that came easiest to him was black, foul anger. Hate. Something to fill out the empty space underneath his skin, to stretch it taut across bone and muscle, and give meaning to this machine of destruction.

But even that was a fleeting thing, flickering out as quickly as it ignited, leaving him raw and more desolate than he had been. He cut a lonely figure in the night, trekking across the center of Helovia, and lonely in more ways than one. Were where his friends? d'Artagnan?

He hadn't seen any of them in so long, it was no wonder Illynx quipped his ears off about it.

The black Pegasus had landed some ways away, wings folding tight against her sleek sides. Briefly, the idea of tormenting her was appealing—of going over there and staring darkly at her until she snapped, but in the next heartbeat the impulse was gone. What was the point of it, anyway? He sighed. Went on.

Didn't even know why he kept walking, after all this time.
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Unregistered

But as if my wishes had been heard by the Power above, I wasn't alone anymore. Sounds of hooves not very far from me made me look up, gazing over the meadow through my strange orbs. A unicorn. A white, black-spotted unicorn. Well... It was better than nothing. Better a unicorn stallion than an adult winged mare - right? Slaves was nothing to be afraid of, because they would die if they tried to hurt anyone than the ones they had been trained to kill. I noticed him looking at me, his blue eyes piercing the dark of night, yet I couldn't tell what he was thinking which normally was my "special ability". Had he too escaped from home? Was he alone, like me? Normally, I wouldn't try to approach stallions without a guard next to me, but I was curious. Years and years after not being allowed to explore, it had developed within me and I just couldn't stop myself.

In a matter of seconds, I was up on my hooves and shook off the remaining straws of grass that had gotten stuck on my coat before I started to walk towards the male. What was I going to say? "Chairetó, doúlos." My sweet voice was just loud enough to hear, yet it sounded like a whisper. I cleared my throat and smiled nervously, trying to figure out what he was thinking. I suddenly realized that he looked like one of the slaves that had been in Mother's castle, except that one had been decorated with brown spots - not black. And his horn had been yellow, not blueish white. Could this male be from Elysia as well? Maybe a relative to Mother's slave? But in that case, where on Earth was his owner? "Where your idioktítis?" Oh goodness, my english was not exactly getting better. "To onomá... Uhm, sorry. Name Antiope. Poios eí... You? Name?" I looked away and felt the blood rush to my face. I should've gone to all of those english lessons in my younger years. Why hadn't I cared more back then? My lack of ability to speak this land's language was embarrassing and it made me look uneducated, which I was certainly not.

"Lypámai, óchi kaló with english. Not mitrikís glóssas." I looked like an idiot trying to speak this language, but it was difficult. Maybe this man could help me learn it?

"Talking."
tags // @[Mauja]
wordcount // 398
ooc // Chairetó, doúlos = Hello, slave.
Idioktítis = Owner
To onomá... = My name...
Poios eí(sai)? = Who are you?
Lypámai, óchi kaló = I am sorry, not good (with english)
Mitrikís glóssas = Mother language
Ascended Helovian

[ You don't have to tag me xD ]

Movement at the corner of his eye caught his attention, and he swung his head back around. It was the mare. Instead of doing what every good little horse should do, go to sleep and stay away, she'd gotten up and was coming over to intercept him. She didn't seem to be in a hurry, and it was tempting to pick up his feet and rush away from her.. drift away, like water over rocks, disappear into the distance like the thistle rivers... But instead of doing that he stopped in his tracks, without recalling deciding to stop. It just seemed pointless to run away from interaction when it was going to come to him no matter what he did. If he ran, someone would try to stop him and ask him why he was running, and that could, potentially, be a lot more annoying to deal with. Horses were drawn to him, and he didn't have the slightest clue as to why.

At least she didn't seem angry. In fact, at just a glance she seemed perfectly normal, on the happier side of the spectrum (sorely needed to balance out his dead-drop into darkness), and as she started speaking, maybe a bit shy.

His black-rimmed ears flipped forward, but he couldn't understand what she was saying—his mind processed the memory a few times over, but all it came out as was.. nothing. It didn't even sound like anything he knew, so either he was dumb or she was mumbling so much... She certainly seemed nervous enough, a slightly sickly cast to her smile. She went on, "Where your idioktítis?" and all Mauja heard was were you idioktsomething, which translated into idiot. Was she asking him if he was being stupid? Something in his gaze blackened, the blue grew sharper. If she didn't get her act together soon...

She kept talking in a garbled mess of whatever language she spoke and English, and between trying to figure out what was just accented and what was actually other words, he had a hard time keeping up. He gathered name, Antiope (assuming that was it, possibly even Antiope Poios), and "you", presumably asking him what his name was, because she repeated the word.

He felt torn between pity, annoyance, and detachment. She had, maybe, called him an idiot. Had the gall to ask for his name after it. But, even though he did not want to see it, she seemed frustrated, spat out another string of whatever language she spoke, and whatever it was, it was "not meet re kiss glow sauce". Whatever the hell that was.

Moron would probably like glow sauce.

"You're being terribly hard to understand, Antiope," he responded coldly, neck pulling his head higher, and all the dark frigidity of his gaze hailed down on her. Seemed like Fate had dealt its card and Mauja had pulled the one saying contempt.

[ Moron = Oxy. <3 ]

Unregistered

He didn't understand me. He just... Looked at me, as if I was an idiot. I felt the shame burn in my face and my gaze fell on the ground, staring at the stallion's hooves. Why was it so hard to speak? Mother had done it. She had spoken perfect english whenever she had taken us to Empório, the trading city where slaves were imported daily. But why couldn't I do it? "You're being terribly hard to understand, Antiope." And why did I understand him perfectly? I looked up, suddenly realizing how tall he was. He... He was the same height as Brighid had been. Of course a bit thinner, but still the same height. I took a deep breath before trying again. "Not good english, not my language." Oh! It worked better this time! I smiled over my success and flicked my ears forward, happy that I had spoken an almost complete sentence in the foreign language.

"I a... I am from Elysia. Speaks Elysian Greek." I was getting better. Much better. "I am prinkípissa. Dau..." No, that couldn't be right. Let's try again. "Dau...ghter of Elysian Vasílissa. Que... Queen? Is that word?" And it was going downhill again. A frown took place on my lips as I tried to figure this language out. How did it work?

"Sorry," I whispered and looked down again, ashamed of my horrible english. But I soon looked up again, because even non-Elysians were to be treated with respect in my opinion. "Poio eínai to ónomá sou? Your name?" It was literally the same question, but I just had to try again. He looked so much like Haemon, they had to be relatives and thus he should know the language of Elysia. He had to.

"Talking."
tags // Mauja
wordcount // 293
ooc // Prinkípissa = Princess
Vasílissa = Queen
Ascended Helovian

[ wrapping this up due to Ina's suspension. ]

Power. It was what this tasted like, the crackle of cold and blue through his veins—seeing her face wither beneath the onslaught of his gaze. He'd forgotten what it felt like, the ice lining his skin like a shield, to watch them diminish as they felt the chill of his contempt and disregard. Why did they long for his approval so, that they were drawn to him like moths to flame—didn't they know they'd get burned? That he didn't care about their pathetic existence? They opened himself to his disdain, and swallowed it with the nectar of their own hope, too naive to realize it was poison.

"Not good english, not my language." Pathetic, how proud she was at having strung a few words together into a coherent sentence. It made his native tongue bubble up in his mind, sifting between words, wanting to shake her off by pronouncing her an idiot in his frosty language, but for the moment, staring at her in icy-edged silence sufficed. Perhaps, sooner or later she would realize the meaning of his heavy gaze was leave me the fuck alone. How blind was she if she didn't see that he wasn't the least interested in where she came from, what she spoke, or whatever troubled her poor sodden heart? He didn't care whether she was the daughter of queens or the spawn of a demon and a snake.

Foreign royalty held no meaning here. Past sins were eradicated and forgotten; brilliance and glory tarnished.

Helovia wiped you clean.

She asked again for his name, rather valiantly trying to defy the blizzard of his presence and the smoky white air leaking out with every breath; it was tempting to send her running with a few spikes to keep her going. The corner of his mouth gave a humorless twitch.

Then, without a word, but with a lingering, piercing stare, Mauja turned on his heel and left, striding away into the darkness.