the Rift

crazy, crazy on you.

Chernobyl Posts: 134
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: Nine | Tallsun HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Psilo
[Image: 50c3cfe45dfd7]

Chernobyl

It’s early morning and the black mare is watching the wispy clouds of fog lift from the trees. Their deep evergreen needles holding small necklaces of twinkling droplets in the waning light of the day’s newborn Sun. Golden strings reach into a dark sky that begs to be truly lit up after waiting in a grey-blue haze most of the morning – the sky remains half illuminated for several hours until the sun peers over the cliffs guarding the Steppes from the fierce ocean. Chernobyl watches this daily event mostly every day, and again when Luna (the moon) replaces her counterpart.

The birds awaken their voices just before the show of soft rose colored streaks litter the horizon, the curve of the sun has almost conquered the sharp tips of the rocky ridges it lays behind. Ever quietly she breathes and watches. Her healthy, rounded belly gurgles passively amongst the betraying quiet of the pine forest. Chernobyl watches the swooping birds and stirring grasses. She blends into the shadows surrounding her, letting her dark abysmal eyes lay over the clutches of trees dotted throughout a small hilly pasture laying to the southeast of the Falls.

It unravels quickly, before long the sun is halfway over the rocky spires beyond the bitter Steppes. Today the breeze stirs from the there, tickling her dew ridden skin. The thorns twisting around the thick spike protruding from her head seem to horde the droplets of moisture, holding them still even when the lithe mare ducks back into the brush wood behind her. She can hear the wind curl almost violently outside of the shelter of trees, the heat would be kept at bay in the North because of it today.

Too bad she’s headed more south, to the place of grazed down clearings and crowds. Oh but the aspen groves are a nice touch – no one ever seems to wander to that part of the Threshold, and if they do they’re usually lost and alone or interesting…and alone. She avoids the common pathways as she normally has done for the past year or so. It’s time to find some new blood to hang around with, as intolerable as that may sound..she cannot remain skulking in the conifer forest forever.

The trees change over after a few billion (exaggeration, duh) miles. They’re hardwoods like oak and maple, and whatever else she didn’t recognize. It is not as dense just a few paces south of where she’s been camped out for the last eight months, grassy patches of open space seem to thrive randomly in the middle of all the trees. Ponds, lakes and rivers are more common – it’s lush right now, at its tallsun peak. The sun is at it’s highest now, beaming on the heads of the broad-leafed giants while below the black mare is shaded from its power. With the lush moisture and perfect wind resisting forests come bugs. Hellacious, unrelenting dick headed pests.

Sweat, that is all she can smell. Hot, sticky body glaze. It can tell you a lot if you can manage to pick through the smell, but in Chernobyl’s opinion there are much better ways to analyze shit. She moves creepily through the edge of the first field, eyes wide and unblinking behind the plume of thick black forelock draped over her face. It is rather crowded, but luckily the wind is twirling around to keep the biting insects at bay. The black mare finds her spot among the aspens her back to the seemingly empty scene behind her and her eyes scanning the shifting bodies and dancing shadows ahead.

She waits with hungry eyes and a mind that’s been idle for far too long.

But oh, I'm staring at the mess I made
As you turn, you take your heart and walk away

crushed and filled with all I found
underneath and inside, just to come around
more, give me more, give me more

pixel is by RELI<3

• Feel free to magic on her, but no murder.

Illynx the GildedBlade Posts: 413
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 13 HP: 67.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kyst :: Common Griffon :: Zapping Jab Bunnie

It all comes down to a single moment,

Lady and boy venture to the Threshold, Rikyn leading the way, his small rear quarter bobbing ahead of her with his tail curiously bending with each step as if it is an extension of his joy and youth. She watches him carefully, having decided that, today, her son would do most of the talking; an assuagement of his skills, truly, she wanted to see if her work with the child in so far as teaching him the art of words had paid off, or if he showed any aptitude at all for the work of gathering the lost to her bosom.

She has her doubts; he is, after all, Ulrik’s son, and while it seems he has inherited much of his mother’s flash and shine, there is a chance that the social situation of gathering strangers who may soon become family will be too much for the boy. She has never seen her Engineer in this forest of welcome, and she must assume that there is a chance her child is the same man, deep beneath his desires to appease her.

But he’d been very happy to oblige her when she asked, enthused even that he had an actual job to do at only a few months old, his coat still downy and edged with pale guards, tiny cloven hooves pit patting against the Tallsun dried earth as he takes note of those wearing crowns, and those without; he understands very little of the laws of his home, but respects them.

Mostly because she has threatened him if he makes adopting lost hybrids a habit, and he wants to show her that Aithniel was merely a fluke of naivety, that he is a son both she and his sire could smile over proudly; he wants to prove to her that his Thistle Sister is worth more than his mother wants to see, and the only path he can see aside from the little snow and gold child proving her worth on her own, is through acts of his invention.

In his tiny, premature mind, he feels that being good at this will make mother forgive Aithniel her wings, the sins of her ancestors who had bred with birds and lost their rights to any earthly kingdom. It is not her fault, after all, that her family had made mistakes, and he, for all his pondering and headaches over the matter, cannot see why his mother hates her for that which she had no control over.

Illynx, of course, sees none of his thoughts, feels none of his hidden drive and motivation as they trot along through the wood; she only watches him watch the world go by him, continuing on past the figures that had acquired a gathering already even if it seemed the prospect was suitable, finding that Tallsun has brought, as usual, an influx of faces to the land.

Unlike Rikyn, who does not know enough to wonder such things, she gives each a glance that questions how long they will stay, to where they will go, if they, someday, may die in this land she has lived in for most of her life.

They’ve come almost to the very border of the wood that signifies the entrance into Helovia, and the Lady ponders telling her son to loop back around as she takes note of his notice of something, following his trajectory (slightly increased, for there! There is his first prize!) to a dark figure standing quite nonchalantly along the borders of one of the open areas that dapple the ancient wood.

”Helloooo,” calls her boy, drawing a smile to her lips that heightens the one already blooming upon recognition of a mare she had thought long gone and never to return. Her name, so long since its last use, evades her, but she does know that this is a face she had seen many times while the herd had been under the keep of her darling Empress. This is a kindred soul, one that is desperately needed in the snow, and her grin is predatory as she idles in after her child who has come to a bouncy halt before the black mare, his words flowing even as she stops as he hungrily runs his eyes up her savage horn in honest wonder at the variety between one unicorn family to another. ”I’m Rikyn, and this is my momma, the Gilded Blade. We live in the Aurora Basin up in those big mountains back over there,” he blabbers on cheerfully, golden eyes burning with his enthusiasm as he prattles on and points with his partially grown, gold tipped horn towards home, ”did you just get here?”

I L L Y N X               

the strong will fight and the weak will run.

image by bunnie.
Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Chernobyl Posts: 134
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: Nine | Tallsun HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Psilo
[Image: 53b89df1e40f7]

Chernobyl

Her head picked up to the bounding boy breaking through the bendy grasses to greet her. His voice beat his appearance with quite a lot of scrambling haste; he bellowed a hello and Chern did not answer. She never answers, she always throws a blank stare first and then an answer, vocal or otherwise. Gold glimmers in the background and all else that spills from the child’s mouth is dulled to a muffle inside of her deep ears.

The Gilded Blade.

This name echoes through the black mare’s rolling thoughts. Chern’s black eyes sidle back down to the boy who keeps bubbling words from his mouth. Chernobyl decided she did not mind the sound, letting her eyes wander his body for a second before shaking her head. “Nope.” She replies to him with a wry, but harmless smirk, peering down at him with blazing ebony eyes, extending her muzzle forward to give him a short, polite sniff. Her face contorts with a familiar expression and she finds Illynx’s frame approaching the scene. “I was a scholar once in the Basin. Under Psyche.” She watches to see how the name settles, bringing her eyes to meet the Gilded Blades’ gaze. She’d never officially met Illynx, but she has most certainly heard the name before. “Looks like the Basin is the choice I have, really.” That or outcast-ism.

Ugh. No.

I’m Chernobyl.” She looks to the thin path from which the pair emerged. “And it looks like I’ll be joining you for the walk home.” She has no real need to hang out in this hot, dry place – she’d rather go back to the breezy permafrost that awaits her to the North. “Shall we? We can discuss what you’d like to do with me on the way.” Her tone is flat, not to friendly nor too scorching or flirtatious. She steps forward, flicking her head to the path, inviting the Gilded Blade and her child join alongside her. She’ll keep at a refined jog, one smooth and characteristic of her body type, effortlessly moving over root and rock. She keeps even with her partners, if they slow up so does she and the same with speeding up. She keeps her ears sharp and her mouth mostly shut unless invited to talk. She prepares herself to immersed in the rank life once again.

But oh, I'm staring at the mess I made
As you turn, you take your heart and walk away

crushed and filled with all I found
underneath and inside, just to come around
more, give me more, give me more

pixel is by RELI<3

• Feel free to magic on her, but no murder.

Illynx the GildedBlade Posts: 413
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 13 HP: 67.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kyst :: Common Griffon :: Zapping Jab Bunnie

It all comes down to a single moment,

The boy almost wilts beneath the weight of the gaze that meets him, so unused to being put into the spotlight and unable to not notice that the woman is more interested in his mother than she is him. It generally works that way though, he’s taken note of – few appreciate the company of children in this world and it leaves him with a bitter feeling in his stomach that nearly extinguishes the smile on his face. Raised as a true prince, however, he attempts to maintain his façade of nonchalance, though his smile glimmers less brightly and his golden eyes are less focused on the nuances of the woman than they had been.

She is no different than mother, or the others.

She still smiles, however, and the boy feels his own returning to its former vivacity. While the black skinned woman talks, Rikyn hears a few things that he recalls from his lessons on the history of his home, including the name of his aunt – he had never met her. As far as he was concerned until this point, the Empress had been an illusion his momma held inside her head, a ghost of herself that was somehow better than she was. It was the only explanation as to why an adult would fawn over another so excessively, that she felt the other woman could offer more than she could, but Rikyn didn’t see the sense in it all. Psyche had lost her home. His mother still ruled it.

Why admire someone who was obviously weaker than herself?

He glances over to his mother as Chernobyl does, seeing the smile of gleeful recognition that always races across her face at the mention of her sister, a subtle nod of approval given to the dark mare as her son returns his features to continue the task his mother has given him. "There are other places to go," he says, his smile gaining a deviousness that nearly makes his dam swoon at the cuteness of it all, "but none as worthy as the Aurora Basin, unless you like living in ordinary forests or blazing deserts." His words include no hint of the racism that his mother attempts to teach him, forgotten under the comforting bond he held with Aithniel, a girl who broke all the rules his mother wanted to teach him. As time passed, he understood more and more why his dam had not wanted the girl. It had ruined her lessons with her only true son.

"I am Rikyn," he says, still smiles and youthful brightness, his dam smiling coyly in the outskirts as she nods hello in accordance to the mare’s name. Chernobyl, yes, that is what she had been called – and a scholar! Zikar-Sin would be pleased to know he had disciples to guide. "Let it be so!" he exclaims as the woman makes clear that they are going to go home together, the boy filling to the brim with pride that he had successfully completed the task his mother had given him and his mother quietly sighing to herself that he had been so fortunate as to find one of their own in the borders.

”The Lady Psyche is no longer upon the mountain,” Illynx explains as they trot along, her son quietly humming to himself as he moves alongside them and listens to the tale he’s heard at least seven times, ”nor is the Frostheart. They departed several years past, though both are well as I know, simply leading their own paths. Psyche is still a dear friend of the Basin, of course, but I have taken her former position and lead alongside Deimos, the Reaper.” Occasionally glancing over with bright smiles lacing her lips, she further elaborates on what might have changed since Chernobyl last walked upon the proud snows of the north. ”Our Haruspex is the wild eyed Zikar-Sin, if you are still interested in such a path,” she explains, ”the old man who kept it during your era on the mountain is long since gone, and few still hold the ranks they once did. D’Artagnan is perhaps the only who remains as he always was.”

I L L Y N X               

the strong will fight and the weak will run.

image by bunnie.
Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission.