the Rift

Mythical Companion Contest

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
After much deliberation with the companion rules, the preference is that each species has a species specific companion and those with companions that do not fit their species will be exceptions to the rules on account of fairness.

As of right now, these are the species specific companions.
Dragons | Equines
Zephyrs | Pegasus (phoenix essentially)
Griffins | Unicorns
Rougarou | Hybrids (shape-shifters | also, hybrids can bond with the companion types of their two halves as well)

>> Something to note is that wolves will not be mythical. The only mythical wolf on this site will be Huyana's because her drop happened before the companion redo.

But, we also want universal mythical companions that all types can quest for, regardless of their species. This is where the contest comes in. You will provide mythical creature entries that will then be voted on by our members. We will choose the top THREE mythical companions that are universal to bond with which are the highest ranking in votes.

For entries, please use this format.

OOC NAME:
Companion Name: (phoenix, wolf, etc)
Companion Type: (flying, ground, water)
Why do you want this companion?:
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?:
Do you like the current species specific options?:

Code:
<b>OOC NAME:</b>
<b>Companion Name:</b> (phoenix, wolf, etc)
<b>Companion Type: </b> (flying, ground, water)
<b>Why do you want this companion?:</b>
<b>Which character could you see bonding to this companion?:</b>
<b>Do you like the current species specific options?:</b>

ENTRIES
ALEX :: Gargoyle :: Gargoyles stick out to me as a great companion because they are used as "protectors" when they are tied to myth.
TIME :: Sprite :: Sprites are mischievous creatures that I feel would blend well with a lot of characters on this site. Sprites are generally very bright and could offer a lot to their bonded.
TIME :: Nymph :: Nymphs are spirits of the land, and Helovia is a place filled with so much magic it would just make sense for a Nymph to be available.
ALEX :: Cerberus :: Because a three headed dog is just plain awesome, and they are very protective.
ALEX :: Chimera :: Chimera's are creatures of destruction, so I think a miniature one would be both adorable and useful.
TAMME :: Fairy Class :: I think it would be cool to have a class of fairies like Kachie suggested a while back that would include banshees, nymphs, sprites, gremlins etc..
TAMME :: Sphynx :: Sphynx's are wise, sarcastic and a little vague, and I think they would make a great companion for a healer/doctor or maybe a diplomatic rank. I can see them making wisecracks from their bonded's back during tense meetings between herds.
ALEX :: Tiamat :: I think the idea of five different heads each representing a different element, each perhaps having their own differences, would be really interesting. I think it could work as a rarer subtype of dragon.
ALEX :: Hellhound :: I think they add a dangerous and mysterious element; also would work great for some of the darker, magical characters that want something more than your average dog.
ALEX :: Manticore :: Manticore's are incredibly fierce and dangerous creatures that represent a mixture of things. It would be interesting to have for some of our more dangerous characters. ;)
ALEX :: Basilisk :: I'd be sad to see these taken off the list; they are not only quite mysterious, but their paralyzing feature is very interesting and could be quite useful.
ALEX :: Alphyn :: They are a very interesting and potentially dangerous mix, like the manticore. Plus it allows for the element of wolf, a crowd favorite, but a bit more special.
ALEX :: Kitsune :: Foxes are mischievous and the kitsune is mysterious; for our less dangerous, more serious, or more mysterious characters, it would be a good fit.
ALI :: Chupacabra :: Chupacabra's are said to be able to fly and have an obsession with blood. Personally I think they're a bit creepy and I'd love to give some of the 'creepier' characters an equally creepy companion choice.
ANGEL :: Wampus Cat :: having claws and fangs, these cats would make excellent fighters for their bonded. This creature also as six legs and looks similar to that of a cougar.
IMI :: Kirin :: I love the mixture of dragon and deer in its appearance, with unicorn-esque features. It's also said to cover itself in fire and cares deeply for the earth.
IMI :: Haetae :: I like the idea of them being both dog and tiger, which allows a little more imagination to characters looking for canine or tiger companions.
IMI :: Nekomata :: I just really like the idea of a two tailed, demonic cat.
CHARKS :: Banshee :: Taking a vague, semi-corporeal form rather than the traditional human form, the Helovian banshee would have a piercing scream attack and be able to morph its form. It would be a creepy companion unlike anything we have now, good for spies or warriors.
CHARKS :: Boggart :: It would be a mischievous creature, and incredibly annoying, especially if they could turn into what characters feared. Personally, I'd like to see more creatures with unusual character traits, to fit in with the large variety of individuals Helovia boasts.
CHARKS :: Cynogryphon :: Gryphon + wolf = yes please. Need I say more? I could see this as a mutation or type of gryphon, rather than its own separate species.
CHAN :: Quetzal :: Being a snake in essense I think the Quetzal is a rather unusual and interesting choice for companion. They will definitely make others think twice about attacking, and them having wings offers a lot of design potentials.
INA :: Goldhorn :: The Goldhorn's blood creates beautiful and healing flowers if spilled, and also this white Chamois is very attractive.

Prizes will be posted during the voting stage.

Rehovah Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
OOC NAME: Sunchaser
Companion Name: wolf
Companion Type: ground
Why you want this companion?:Wolves are cool and territorial.And they come in many different colors and species.They are protective and strong.
Which character could you see bonding to this companions?:Ajax,Rehovah,or Sun.
Do you like the current species specific options?:Sure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OOC NAME: Sunchaser
Companion Name: coyote/dingo
Why you want this companion?:Coyotes and dingos are almost the same thing.But coyotes are smaller with beady eyes.They are mere savages.Dingos are total predators,nocturnal,just like coyotes.They are quite primitave beasts.
Which character could you see bonding to this companions?:Ajax or Sun.
Do you like the current species specific options?:Sure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Casimir Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
OOC NAME: Time

Companion Name: Gargoyle

Companion Type: Sky, cannot fly but can glide

Why you want this companion?: Gargoyles stick out to me as a great companion because they are used as "protectors" when they are tied to myth.

Which character could you see bonding to this companions?: D'Art, Paladin, Casimir, Vincent...I have no idea exactly what this question wants me to specify, hopefully that's it.

Do you like the current species specific options?: Yes, I do.

Companion Name: Sprite

Companion Type: Sky

Why you want this companion?: Sprites are mischievous creatures that I feel would blend well with a lot of characters on this site. Sprites are generally very bright and could offer a lot to their bonded.

Which character could you see bonding to this companions?: Kou, Ophelia...

Companion Name: Nymph

Companion Type: All types--quest specific

Why you want this companion?: Nymphs are spirits of the land, and Helovia is a place filled with so much magic it would just make sense for a Nymph to be available.

Which character could you see bonding to this companions?: Evers, Hector...

Tamme the Tempting Posts: 140
Administrator
Mare :: Other :: 2 :: 2 HP: 9001 | Buff: Admin
Tamme
OOC NAME: Tamme
Do you like the current species specific options?: Yes

Companion Name: Cerberus
Why do you want this companion?: Because a three headed dog is just plain awesome, and they are very protective.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?:Ricochet, Boltar, Archibald

-------------------

Companion Name: Chimera
Companion Type: ground/minimal flight
Why do you want this companion?: Chimera's are creatures of destruction, so I think a miniature one would be both adorable and useful.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?:Mauja, Ulrik, Serien maybe

---------------------

Companion Name: A "Fairy" Class
Companion Type: flight
Why do you want this companion?: I think it would be cool to have a class of fairies like Kachie suggested a while back that would include banshees, nymphs, sprites, gremlins etc...
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?:Sno, Cass, Mirage

-------------------------

Companion Name: Sphynx
Why do you want this companion?: Sphynx's are wise, sarcastic and a little vague, and I think they would make a great companion for a healer/doctor or maybe a diplomatic rank. I can see them making wisecracks from their bonded's back during tense meetings between herds.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: Solstice, Breeze, Olema Surema

Tares Posts: 74
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 hh :: 38 months
Alex
Do you like the current species specific options?: Yes, I like the mythical options, but I'm not one for species specific, as a rule. That may just be me, however.

OOC NAME: Alex
Companion Name: Wyvern; perhaps this would be too similar to a dragon, but only has two legs by nature.
Companion Type: Flight
Why do you want this companion?: Just to add some variety to the dragons we already have and make it a bit more serpentine. Could be used as a class or subtype of dragon.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: Aaron, Hector

Companion Name: Tiamat: five headed dragon, generally each head represents a different element.
Why do you want this companion?: I think the idea of five different heads each representing a different element, each perhaps having their own differences, would be really interesting. I think it could work as a rarer subtype of dragon.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: The gods' children

Companion Name: Hellhound
Why do you want this companion?: I think they add a dangerous and mysterious element; also would work great for some of the darker, magical characters that want something more than your average dog.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: D'Artagnan, Alan, Deimos, Histe, Mandrake

Companion Name: Sea Serpent/dragon
Companion Type: Water
Why do you want this companion?: We have very few water based companions, it would be cool to have one. Also if more like a sea dragon, it could be used as a subtype as well.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?:Huyana, other water themed chars idk I suddenly can't think of any o.0

Companion Name: Manticore; winged lion, traditionally with the tail of a scorpion
Why do you want this companion?: Manticore's are incredibly fierce and dangerous creatures that represent a mixture of things. It would be interesting to have for some of our more dangerous characters. ;)
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: Avigail, Azzuen, Korra

Companion Name: Basilisk
Companion Type: Ground
Why do you want this companion?: I'd be sad to see these taken off the list; they are not only quite mysterious, but their paralyzing feature is very interesting and could be quite useful.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: Poppy, Kou, Balkin

Companion Name: Alphyn; body of a wolf, tail of a lion, forelegs of a dragon.
Why do you want this companion?: They are a very interesting and potentially dangerous mix, like the manticore. Plus it allows for the element of wolf, a crowd favorite, but a bit more special.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: Hellena, Boltar, Breeze

Companion Name: Kistune; nine tailed white fox
Why do you want this companion?: Foxes are mischievous and the kitsune is mysterious; for our less dangerous, more serious, or more mysterious characters, it would be a good fit.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?:Aure, Moon Boy, Mauja

Gargoyle as well, if Time agrees.

ali Posts: 22
OOC Account
Mare :: Hybrid :: 5'4 :: 28
ali
OOC NAME: ali
Companion Name: Chupacabra
Companion Type: fly
Why do you want this companion?: Chupacabra's are said to be able to fly and have an obsession with blood. Personally I think they're a bit creepy and I'd love to give some of the 'creepier' characters an equally creepy companion choice.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: October, Histe, Vadim, Varath, Cassandra
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
OOC NAME: Angel

Companion Name: Wampus Cat

Why do you want this companion?: - having claws and fangs, these cats would make excellent fighters for their bonded. This creature also as six legs and looks similar to that of a cougar.

Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: Unicorn

Do you like the current species specific options?: Yes.

Companion Name: Thunder bird

Companion Type: Flying

Why do you want this companion?: - It can fly and travel fast. Similarity to the roc, a giant eagle- or vulture-like bird with supernatural powers. Thunderbird is a magical animal; it rides in on a storm, its eyes flashing with lightning and its extraordinary wings roaring like thunder, at times emitting a flute-like sound.

Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: Pegasus

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Companion Name: Cockatrice or Basilisk

Why do you want this companion?: A monster with the head of a cock, wings of a fowl, and tail of a dragon; a legendary serpent that is hatched by a reptile from a cock's egg and that has a deadly glance.

Which character could you see bonding to this companion?:

Equine or Unicorn

Companion Name: Beach dragon

Companion Type: Water

Why do you want this companion?: Their wings and body evolved into the sleek, torpedo shape. Their surfboard-like wings allow better movement and balance through the water. Though flightless these creatures can glide through the water at astonishing speeds.

Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: Unicorns/Pegasus

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi
OOC NAME: Imi
Companion Name: Kirin
Why do you want this companion?: I love the mixture of dragon and deer in its appearance, with unicorn-esque features. It's also said to cover itself in fire and cares deeply for the earth.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: Mirage, Mauja, Hector, Varath/Vadim...
Do you like the current species specific options?: Yes! :3

Companion Name: Haetae; A dog with a tigers fangs and mane.
Why do you want this companion?: I like the idea of them being both dog and tiger, which allows a little more imagination to characters looking for canine or tiger companions.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: d'Artagnan, Korra, Archibald...

Companion Name: Nekomata; A cat with two tails.
Why do you want this companion?: I just really like the idea of a two tailed, demonic cat.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: Seiren, Ghost, Knox...

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu
Just wanted to mention, to Alex's Wyrvn submission, dragons can currently have 2 legs (wyrvn) or 4, it's an attribute like the horns spines etc. For instance Lesse's blue only had 2, I just think almost everyone chooses 4

^^
Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Aviya Posts: 59
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 4 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Time
Alex already had a list of ideas approved by Tamme beforehand on which there was gargoyle. Me not being aware of this, can you switch Alex to the enter-er of the gargoyle please? ^^

Belial Posts: 33
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 5 Buff: NOVICE
charks
OOC NAME: Charks
Companion Name: Banshee
Why do you want this companion?: Taking a vague, semi-corporeal form rather than the traditional human form, the Helovian banshee would have a piercing scream attack and be able to morph its form. It would be a creepy companion unlike anything we have now, good for spies or warriors.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: Seiren, Mauja, Prometheus, October...

Companion Name: Boggart
Why do you want this companion?: It would be a mischievous creature, and incredibly annoying, especially if they could turn into what characters feared. Personally, I'd like to see more creatures with unusual character traits, to fit in with the large variety of individuals Helovia boasts.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: Sno, Belial, Ktulu, MadyrnMaskan

Companion Name: Cynogryphon
Why do you want this companion?: Gryphon + wolf = yes please. Need I say more? I could see this as a mutation or type of gryphon, rather than its own separate species.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: Azzuen, Mauja, Rishima, Ophelia, Moth, Huyana, Leliel

Do you like the current species specific options?: Yes!

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan
OOC NAME: Chan
Companion Name: Quetzal (winged snake)
Why do you want this companion?: Being a snake in essense I think the Quetzal is a rather unusual and interesting choice for companion. They will definitely make others think twice about attacking, and them having wings offers a lot of design potentials.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: Foal (the unnamed one ali promised me ^^)
Do you like the current species specific options?: Yes, though I'd like a better description of the Rougarou.
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Delinne Posts: 232
Hidden Falls Curiosus II
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Dezba :: Black Jaguar :: Stormcall Ina
OOC NAME: Ina
Companion Name: Hercinia (Glowing, red bird)
Why do you want this companion?: Because it's glowing feathers could lead the way in storms, fog, darkness etc.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: Melissa {Suitable for any species, mostly Pegasus}

Companion Name: Komainu (Two lion-dogs)
Why do you want this companion?: Because Komainu-creatures are very protective and wards off evil spirits. They resemble a kind of lion-dog. Also, the Komainu always come in two - one who can't close it's mouth and one who can't open it's mouth.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: Cherie {Suitable for Equine, Unicorn}

Companion Name: Goldhorn (White Chamois with golden horns)
Why do you want this companion?: The Goldhorn's blood creates beautiful and healing flowers if spilled, and also this white Chamois is very attractive.
Which character could you see bonding to this companion?: Delinne {Suitable for Equines, Unicorns}

Do you like the current species specific options?: Yesh, but I think more companions to the different species is needed x3 But I love the options now :D