the Rift

[OPEN] Sky Full of Stars

Murdock Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 9 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 8 HP: 61.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Gaz

It had been months since Murdock had visited the north. Before the darkness, before being trapped among winding caves and corridors, it was a place he had frequented religiously. Something about the cold, barren plains attracted him time and time again; perhaps it provided a grounding contrast between the eccentricities of his soul, though that part of him had crumbled long ago. He was not the same creature he had been when first he had found this place. Somewhere along the line, his life had fallen to pieces and left him scrambling to track down the fragments.

The land was flat and smooth for several miles around him until it jutted up abruptly into the tall mountains and jagged cliffs that bordered the Basin. To his left, snow. To his right, more snow. It was an endless sea of white that perpetuated as far as he could see until it broke away into the milky night. The sky was still pale as dusk passed, stars spreading across the heavens in thick clusters and surrounding the moon like vibrant dancers. There was a whole universe above him, a multitude of worlds and happenings aloft that he never considered. Such philosophical things rarely occurred to him, despite the fact that his head was usually in the clouds.

His wanderings held no purpose, yet he walked on across the rough snow as if some motive fuelled his steps. He was searching, searching for something he had no hopes of finding and yet the thought of it never left his mind. This place held many memories for him that returned with the fogginess of a dream as he made his way toward the mountains, spinning about in his head until they blurred into colour and warmth. This is where he had found her, where they had first shared conversation amidst a spring storm and then, when she had left, where they had shared reluctant goodbyes.

He thought of Roland, too, as he continued to pick his way across frozen drifts and wind-tossed stones. Was this place not his home, too? Perhaps he would see his old friend again, and together they could reminisce over the world and the way things had changed. He hummed softly as he walked, taking his mind off the cold that bit into his thin coat and the way his knees had become stiff from walking. Normally, he would have flown, but the winds aloft had become too temperamental and the headwind was more than he was willing to compete with. And so he was degraded to an earth-dweller, travelling on foot like the rest of inhabitants of this kingdom.

He tipped his head toward the sky as he came to a halt beside a jumbled pile of rocks, standing out against the white like a dark stain. The moon seemed to smile down at him, half of its brilliant white face missing, hidden in shadow. If she had been here, he would have made some childish remark about the curious face the pale orb seemed to bear and how odd it was that it always wore the same expression. However, tonight, he was alone. “Goodnight,” he whispered, his words lost on the wind that scattered them across the snow like dying petals. “Wherever you are.”

"talk talk talk"

If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?

Image Credit
x

Cealestis Posts: 50
Hidden Falls Genetrix I atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 HH :: 11 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Skýlos :: Pit Bull :: None Bunnie
The wind croons its hollow song against the arch of ice as I pass beneath it.

Dog is in a fit of sorts over the sound, dancing and prancing with her ears perked high on her head and tail lolling behind her in an insane trajectory that I cannot and never have been able to predict, searching for the beast atop the glassy structure who calls to her with such a sad, sad melody. Ethereal, it has captured me for different reasons, mostly because it is often the sound of my own soul drifting across the desolation that has been left behind by my ancestor’s foolishness and cruelty.

We have not come this far north, though I have, when I first came to this land; I hadn’t come to the frozen earth, of course, having clung to the skies during my first weeks and surveying everything as an eagle, learning the map of the land I had come to from a perspective sacred and clear. The skies will not have me, this evening, thick and cold as they strike down from the mountains and rush the film of white clouds that still clutter the sky downwards to sleep among the peaks in the dreamy cloak of the midnight mountain, and Skýlos and I walk.

There is much to ponder about my life here, to be sure, such as the treason of Circuta and Eris and the turmoil in the hearts of my unknown herd mates because of this broken tryst. I do not care much about it, either way, for it involves no one I love and nothing I am concerned about. Unless some racist regime pools into the Hidden Falls, I am safe and will have a home; my heart feels as much concern for who “leads” me as it does whether or not stones can think while they sit in eternal silence and stillness or the number of daisies that mark the earth with their smiling white faces.

I give no shits.

I think, instead, of the pristine and almost dreary beauty of this place, how it stretches endless and white and ripples in the gusts of wind that leave me clinging to the chilly surface of the world as night rises into the heavens. I think of the songs of the world and the songs of my soul, the poems of my life and the stories of those before me, all that I had had before this wretched kingdom and what it was I had thrown my crown aside for.

My purpose, I suppose, the meaning of life; philosophy that is too droll to elaborate upon in more detail other than that I feel as if I am the tundra as I walk across it, and that Skýlos is the white ripple of snow dancing across its cruel relentlessness. And my dreams? They are the stars, so bright and cheerful, unattainable as the Moon’s smile.

She looks upon me, my queen, my mistress of Umbrian embrace, and I do not know what she sees anymore. I am not who I once was, nor am I all that changed. I am only alone.

Being alone tells one much of themselves.

I nearly displace Skýlos from her paws as she stands staring at a figure gathered near some frost laden boulders, perhaps only ice themselves; she yips disdainfully and hops away with a scowl on her normally bright features, softening and returning her eyes back to the man as I smile in apology and touch her hindquarter gently with the end of my long, lion’s tail, pressing not having meant to have trod upon her into my emotional fabric until she felt its pulse soothe her sense of disrespect.

That she is maturing does not escape me, her concern for things having grown and her wariness evident in that she alerts me to the stallion rather than rushing forth herself as she had done as a young, young pup. Together, we walk towards him, my dark tipped wings tucked to my sides and Skýlos’ large head held low along with her tail. I stop a respectable distance, my hound perching upon her haunches alongside me with her white tipped nuisance of an appendage slowly dragging back and forth behind her, pink tongue partially exposed as she grins a mostly friendly smile.

"Good evening," I say in the tongue of this land, figuring that he, as the rest, does not know Elysian, "has the wind stranded you for the night as well?" He is winged and, while male, is handsome and attractive in all the ways desired among my homeland, and it is a welcome thing to be among my kin if only to avoid the cacophony of the black bell when it looks upon the lesser species. It still growls at his masculine stench, my nostrils displeased with his scent in ways that a more normal woman would perhaps find him pleasing; such is my curse, to debate my reality with that which was supposed to be.

To contain the shores of that dark, dark lake within myself as best as I might, so that I may not fall as Hemera or Persephone, too broken to know the horror of their own lives, too consumed by the poison etched into our skin.

C e a l e s t i s</style>
who knows how deep the heart runs</style>
Credits
Magic/physical violence allowed to be used upon Cealestis at any time, so long as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission.

Gaz

There was little for the eye to focus on here. The numbing cold had left him starved of his senses after the soft words had left his lips, carving the whole of his awareness down to a single point that focused intently at his feet. At one time, the frigid winds would not have bothered him as he was used to their torment upon the cliffs of his home, but it had been months since he had found cause to venture this far north. His feathers spread out protectively around his sides, shielding him from the anger of the skies while still he stared to his feet.

Pale, creamy white filled his vision except for the coal of the rocks to his right and the dim, teal glow of his hooves. He imagined this is what it must be like to be lost in cloud. How terrifying it would be to become disorientated, to inadvertently enter the white masses overhead and tumble about until you couldn’t tell which was up. Murdock was not a particularly brave soul and many things frightened him, but this, he thought, would likely be the most terrifying situation he could find himself in. Fortunately, he was still on the ground. Fortunately, he could look up at any time and find the firm line of the horizon with which he could orient himself.

Looking up, however, brought his gaze to more than just the dark edge of the world. A large grey mare approached him, her silver body adorned with pale markings like careful paintings and bearing a pair of sky blue wings. Accompanying her was a small dog, still energetic as a pup though possessing the sense to keep its distance from him. He offered a faint smile, welcoming though distant. He had been taken by surprise by their arrival, though their appearance was certainly not unwelcome. Company was something he had been starved of lately, though he rarely had the energy to seek it out.

“Good evening,” he replied warmly, dipping his head as his gaze drifted down toward her companion. She appeared to have the pup under control, though he had often come away from encounters with canines somewhat worse for wear. He smiled at the dog, thinking, perhaps it would be less inclined to assault him if he extended acknowledgement to it, too. He hated to be ignored. “Yes, they have,” he drew his gaze upward once more, watching the surprisingly hurried movement of the clouds as they surfed along the upper winds. “What brings you so far north?” He could tell she was not from here. After all, what Pegasus would find lands so close to the Basin to be suitable living space?

"talk talk talk"

(So sorry for the delay and the sub-par post! :c )

Image Credit
x

He smiles upon us as we arrive, which is a good sign no matter what nation you are in for most circumstances. I return the gesture, as best as I may; it is perhaps cold, the distant smile of a woman who feels nothing - and it is possible that that is what I have been reduced to over the past six years of my life, no matter how hard I have struggled to maintain the vivacity for life and learning that once flooded me. While my heart still beats and my soul still yearns to expand itself, I find that my body slowly becomes stone that closes in the flames of my being because I will not let the darkness devour me as it so longs.

It punishes me, for refusing it. And so I am caged.

Dog yips as he greets us, the sharp sound drawing me from the dreary thought that I am not at all who I once was and back to the frigid reality of the tundra. I realize that he has smiled at the puppy, an action that has earned him much admiration from the easily wooed idiot who laps at attention as vigorously as she does the cool waters of the springs of the Falls after an hour long sprint after invisible invaders.

Just barely I manage to refrain from rolling my eyes and kicking her. Instead, I keep them focused on the man with the glowing hooves, taking in his gentle voice and finding as minimally offensive as Quilyan’s has been. He is blessed company, his only curse his gender, but he has a certain air to him that I find pleasing, as if he challenges nothing and seeks only to exist; it had once been my dream, in ways it still was – but I know better than to grasp at things out of my reach.

To just exist is too droll. It is why we are here, trapped in a blustering wind in a land of ice, because I lingered to long in the Hidden Falls and have managed to make myself feel trapped though my own mechanisms. No one holds me there. No one ever will.

"I came to think, and to let Skýlos run. She has never seen the ice lands of Helovia," I say, my words deeply inflected with Grecian tones as I take a few steps nearer the white winged stallion with Dog in tow, "I have never walked them, myself, only observed from above. Perhaps the Goddess deemed it was time to show humility to the snow." My smile is soft in my mind, at least hopefully less sharp than the chunks of liberated ice that pelt me as they fly in on the wind.

Credits
Magic/physical violence allowed to be used upon Cealestis at any time, so long as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission.

Gaz

It was always welcome to look upon a smile. When one had spent many months in darkness, many months trapped alone beneath the earth in caves that echoed of loneliness, it seemed a relief to look upon another face. Perhaps it was something the mind desired, to trace the fine lines and edges of another’s features, to learn of their story from the depth of their eyes. Or perhaps he had simply become bored of studying the rugged contours of mountains and the smooth curves of clouds. No matter the reason, to receive a smile from this stranger sparked his soul.

Of course, her dog took the spotlight. Murdock glanced downward again to the round white pup seated in the snow before him. The infectious smile spread across her face caused his own lips to twist slightly, his heart swelling with something that had become almost foreign to him. It had been so long since he had felt happy, so long since he had felt even content. After losing his herd, his family, during the chaos the wraiths reined upon the land, he had felt so terribly alone. He had drifted wherever the winds carried him, exploring forests and fields in hopes of finding something he could not name. It felt as though part of his soul had gone missing.

However, there was still a part of him that could see the light. There always would be. He was not a creature born to live his life consumed by depression and darkness. Somehow, sooner or later, he would find his place again. For now, he would settle for pushing aside the shadows that lingered in the back of his thoughts and focusing on the interaction at hand; company always seemed to soothe his fretting mind. He returned his attention to the silver mare as she spoke, her words soft and cool like the refreshing summer breeze. He nodded, glancing once more down at the dog who beamed radiantly up at him as if she were the sun itself.

Searching for words, something to break the silence, he raised his head to meet the mare’s gaze. There was something familiar about her. Something about her build and the pale markings etched on her sides made him feel as though he had seen her before. Truly, he had not, though a relative of sorts of hers, Brighid had saved his life. He did not remember her, though. He had been so bloody and weak on that night of eternal darkness that her face was merely light in his memory, and the whole evening was but a blur. Still, he studied her, though he could find no match to her image in his memories.

“I’m Murdock, by the way. Former General of the Foothills, though I belong nowhere now,” his tone was not bitter, not even sad. There was a sort of freedom that came with belonging to no one but yourself. Part of him liked it, to be able to go where he pleased whenever he pleased and have nothing but his weight to bind himself to the earth. However, another part of him missed the constant company of herd mates and the monotonous structure of day-to-day routine. Perhaps one day he would find himself amongst friends again. “Where is it you, and your friend, hail from?”

"talk talk talk"

Image Credit
x

I find that Dog is much better at inviting others into a state of friendliness than I am, her own soul more pure and shining than mine perhaps ever was, even before the smut was etched into my flesh. When she smiles, the world smiles back, proven again as the teal hoofed stranger returns her lolling expression in his own handsome way. He eventually finds me, his eyes squarely resting on my features, and it seems he thinks something for a while before he speaks.

I take in his calling and former rank with mild interest lighting my face, finding that he had once resided where Skýlos and I spend most of our days. As large as this land is, time and time again the fact that all things move in circles is proven to me over and over, that a stranger so far from the lush haven of the Falls had once known its comforts; how many more were no longer there, who once had been? How many more would I find that had just narrowly caught the place where our paths might intersect?

I long to know the future, as I once did; the dreams do not come, my mind filled with mundane images of my own life in the present and past.

"I am Cealestis of Elysia, and this is Skýlos," I nod down at the dog who promptly stands and does one of her flippant twirling maneuvers in delight of receiving mention, "we hail from the Hidden Falls, once called the Foothills of your past." I smile, fond of my knowledge of this land as slight as it may be; I even know much of their origin tales, from my hours beneath the earth learning to read the ancient writing in the stone.

I wonder if this one may know more of the original story; it seems few of the original Helovian lines or tales remain among those that live here. I would perhaps be better off attempting to call down one of their Gods to ask for assistance.

"If I do not press you to deeply, why is it you left there?" I ask, knowing that leadership had changed quite abruptly with the shape of the land once the darkness had lifted, and currently witnessing the dissent and treachery that had been born of that sudden change; like dark clouds, the unbidden alterations of their lives hovered over the herd still, many attempting to ignore the storm that was brewing and now sending cracks of lightning through the air. Perhaps he is wiser than I am, for he does not remain within the eye of the storm – but it is also barely my home. I love no one there and owe them nothing; if I might simply claim the land as my own and banish them with my former rights as a princess of a powerful kingdom, I would do so.

To be alone was often more blessed than company. It was why we had fled, was it not? To escape the constant eyes and wonder of those who sought to own us, to use us for their purposes?

Credits

Gaz

So, she was from his former home. Part of him itched to ask how it had changed, why it had changed. The very structure of the earth had crumbled and peeled away, new cliffs rising up and water bubbling forth from the hills to pour in thick cascades down the rock. He had only seen it from above. Since the inception of the new land, he had not set foot on the young earth and wandered through the willows. It was not home anymore. It was beautiful and different, but he knew no one there. He was content to wander for now, searching for himself and the place he would finally feel at home.

However, she was not a native of Helovia, either. Elysia was her home, a place he had never heard of, though the name intrigued him. It sounded both interesting and dark at the same time, much like his own home of Evendim. He had thought of leaving the shores of this land, of returning to his birth place to see what had become of it. He missed it dearly, though he had been driven away by a rival fleet and doubted his return would go unnoticed. So, here he would stay. “Elysia…what is it like? Is it far from here?” He was ever curious, always eager to learn of new lands he had not been to. If he had it his way, he would spend every minute of each day exploring every inch of this world.

Her question stirred uneasiness in him, though he was not sure why it unsettled him. He had not really left by choice, rather, he had been separated from his herd for so long amidst the terror of the wraiths that he had lost contact with them. He had searched for them among the caves and always returned empty handed. They seemed to have disappeared along with the rest of the citizens of Helovia. He had found no one and instead lived his days in darkness and loneliness. It was that that had truly drowned his spirit. “I did not leave so much as I was left behind. When the wraiths arrived, driving us underground, I was separated from the herd. I searched for them for weeks, but never found a trace of my herd mates,” he paused, studying her face and pale eyes as if he might find comfort there. “When finally I emerged from the caves, too much had changed. I didn’t go back.”

He wondered how things might be if he had returned. Would they have allowed him to redeem his title of General, a title that had given so much meaning and worth to the efforts he had spent? He doubted the new leadership would accept him so easily. He had been scarred and worn during the endless night and had not had time to recover before the wraiths arrived. His ribs showed through his thin coat and he was pathetic in appearance as a starved colt. He only wished his spirit could retain the former exuberance that had once filled his being to the brim.

He managed a smile as if somehow that would heal the hole left in his heart. He trusted this mare, whether it was because she had approached him gently or because he was so desperate to find someone to trust again, he was not sure. “What is it like now? The Falls? Would you say it’s worth going back to?” He was not sure if he was ready to return to herd life or not. Wandering about felt too unstructured for his liking, however, he was not yet fit to fill the position of a warrior and would not be content to stand about with no duties to attend to. Perhaps his erratic mind could be put to use in some scholarly position, if he could retain focus for much longer than a few minutes. Whatever the case, he was curious to know how the former Foothills had changed.

"talk talk talk"

Image Credit
x

I watch interest light on his face at my words, true interest as is common among men of our breed in this land as I have discovered so far. First Quilyan, who was quite obviously of a status similar to my own at some point, and now this man, who hears the name of a foreign land and lights up momentarily before seeming to slip into more solemn thoughts – perhaps of his own past, or perhaps he knows of my homeland. I pity him if it is the latter.

Elysia is no place for any man to live and find happiness.

My ears raise and Skýlos yips as he repeats the name of my home and the race of emotions that flood me pound against her psyche. It has been so long since I have heard the name spoken from the lips of another that I have grown ill used to the rush of darkness that beckons me back into its arms and the tightening that grasps at my belly as I rebuke it. Still, against all these negative sensations, a rising of pride swells in me, for Elysia, for all its wickedness, is one of grand palaces and greater knowledge and wisdom than Helovia of the present, a place of beautiful and strong women from ancient lines who ruled with nefarious grace over their men and slaves. It is laughable to think that I have been led here by my dreams, a land more wild than even the pens in which the stone workers toiled or the forests that bordered their yawning mouths, and that I have found not a single one of my sisters for all my struggles in this barbarous place.

"About a years flight to the far east, alongside the sea and old forests among the other cities of the empire. It is a wicked realm ruled by cruel winged women with stones for hearts," I answer, finding curiosity on his face as he asked the question and so indulging him with more than just the bitter reply of a woman who both loathes and longs for the land of which she speaks, "but it is beautiful and strong in its own right, if one can look past the insane laws of my foremothers. It is still no place for a man. They would never let you leave." My tattoos tingle on my skin as I speak of the place in which they were crafted, so perfectly etched that they seem to have always been there. At times I am thankful, for it spares me having to explain them to others – but sometimes I wish that someone would ask, to grant me a reprieve from the weight of the secret and the magic that binds me to a hatred I do not understand or truly feel.

It is no wonder they go mad, the great women of my home; my mind slips further from me each day, no matter how hard I cleave to it and wish it to remain whole.

My turn comes to ask questions, and my expression falls and Dog wags her tail slowly with a lowered head at the evident disheartening that my inquiry had inspired. I had pressed him – and I am sorry for the act, though the black bell rings gleefully in my head for having inflicted any sort of discomfort on the lesser male. I chase the internal sound away as he speaks again, my eyes soft for once in the gleaming world of snow as the wind tugged at our bodies and manes.

He speaks of them as if he had loved them, as if the loss of his friends had darkened some lights within his soul that he had yet found ways to reignite, and I try to sympathize with him as best as I can; most of my heart is cold and passionless, purposefully smothered to protect others from the curse of my kin, and so it is difficult to view the herd in which I live with the eyes of someone who cares what becomes of them. In my time in Helovia I have met very few that have inspired any sort of admiration from me and I had known about as many in Elysia that could say the same – and most were wearing thin my kindness in that place. It had made it that much easier to leave.

I find it is easier to find concern when I ponder my sisters, and so I settle on that hollow in my soul to compare to that of which he now spoke. I nod as he concludes the explanation, not finding words to suit his own, having been able to follow the Asylum in their travels and thus not having become lost as he had. We had come to the Falls after the change had swept it, the crown a gift to Seele from the Earth God himself, and never before now had I wondered who had been there before we were.

He smiles, a weak thing, and I return the gesture with what comfort laced into my face that I can. His next question causes a flicker to break my smile. "It’s beautiful, to be sure, but I suppose that is to be assumed when it is the realm of the Earth himself, and the rulers are just and strong," my grin manages to make a fleeting reappearance before I direct my tongue into more serious matters than scenery, "but it seems the heart of the herd is divided in many directions, with no common causes aside from the few friendships and original ties they have with one another. The Czarina led a group of madmen and healers before she gained her rule, and as with all madmen there has been some… derision among their ranks recently. The Czar is a kind man with much wisdom, but he is of another land as well, and so many of those who returned to the Foothills when the darkness lifted to find two strangers leading the land either left or remained to harbor contention among their thoughts for the loss of their former lieges." I pause, smiling softly at him and hoping it does not hurt him much more than he already seems to suffer to know that the Hidden Falls struggle – all lands struggle, truly, in their own ways, and it is not so bad that I have left. Surely that is some comfort to him.

"I hold no ties to any of them. It is a place to rest and call home, and so their social rabble disturbs me very little but for the meetings about it all," I laugh, a light and dancing thing in the air, "I mostly watch, and listen. I may not be able to dream up the future, but I believe they simply need time to learn to trust one another and see the value of the rulers the Earth provided them."

Credits

Gaz

Her home intrigued him, as of course, many foreign things did. He had never seen great cities nor powerful empires, as his own homeland had been divided and ruled by separate fleets who spent many months of the year at war with one another. Peace was not something he was accustomed to, though it was something he had always sought. What would it be like to live in Elysia? Evidently for him it would not be a desirable place to go, but for one such as herself? Was it peaceful? He wondered why she had left, but decided not to ask. If she desired to share that detail, perhaps she would have already mentioned it.

“A place ruled by women?” His tone was thoughtful, his head tilting slightly as emerald eyes filled with curiosity studied her face. “Women are smart and just rulers. I imagine few would dare cross the queens of your homeland,” he laughed softly, thinking of her powerful, intimidating appearance. He had seen many months of battle and fought many opponents, but he had never come across a warrior such as her. He was far from a coward, but he would certainly think twice about twisting her tail.

As the conversation turned toward his former herd land, he found himself thinking of the smooth, rolling hills and the high cliffs at the northern boundary of the territory that he had called home. The Foothills was a beautiful place, but ever since the Grey had seized it from the former owners, it had not been the same. The hierarchy crumbled after only a few months and the disorganization left him feeling isolated from the friends he had made. After a few weeks, he found himself spending much of his time alone between patrols and travelling north every now and then. There was little to fuel his devotion.

It sounded as though little had changed. Once again under new leadership in a land completely reformed, the Falls was struggling. The smile slowly left his lips as she spoke, and he nodded his head at last, looking out toward the white curves of the horizon. Evidently, it would not be wise to return. Murdock had spent the first months of his time in Helovia as an outcast, wandering without attachment and seeking refuge in whatever nameless regions he could. It was a lonely existence, the same sort of day-to-day routine he faced now. He wanted some place to go, somewhere he could belong to something again. But, who would have him?

“What is your role there, in the Falls?” She looked as though she could easily be a warrior, yet somehow she seemed too intelligent for such a role. He was curious as to what she did, how she spent her days among the forests and falls and how she contributed to their strength and growth. Murdock had always been a warrior, plain and simple, nothing exciting or complicated as studying plants and medicine or conjuring riddles and sneaking about in shadows. Even a fool could fight, but that’s what he was, wasn’t he?

"talk talk talk"

Image Credit
x

That I have described the land of my raising as what it is and the stallion still bears it interest is curious to me; I feel a brow rise at his first inquiry, sensing that the need to know is strong within this man, and that it would be wise to leave any and all descriptions aside that might actually lead him there. What he says next makes me laugh, too, but for a different reason – no one ever did cross the women of Elysia. At least, not without vast punishment to fall down on the poor victim once he was discovered. That to cross a woman in Elysia could be something so simple and uncontrollable as the gender which you were born to is a thought that adds to the sharp laugh that wildly finds its way free from my lips, Dog whining softly as she sweeps her eyes up to catch my own, wondering if the poison is driving me mad or if what the man said truly was of humor to me, her heart prying away for the emotional reverberations that leak away from my soul into her senses.

"Just?" I breathlessly manage, looking at Murdock with a humored light gleaming in my eyes and my lids partially shut to squint at him thoughtfully once the laughter dies on my lips, "they have never been such things in Elysia. But, no, none cross my foremothers." The same smile that had framed my face as I laughed leaks back into place, uncontained by the dark hilarity that lies in this all; the image of bodies strewn across the stone before the palace, the procuring of the images of the slaves deep down at the bottom of the pit, so haggard and weak it was hard to tell if they were dead or alive, only given away when movement touched them. Most simply lay slack and were drug along by their stronger companions, too exhausted or their will too broken to bother walking like dignified, living beasts are born knowing to do. "At least not to have the last laugh."

My finishing statement comes with a collection of images, the sight of my dam and her council laughing over their herb lunches about whatever poor slave had just died at their hands, or been sent to the pits; they even laughed as they discussed pulling that one man apart, piece by piece, for daring to give my aunt a son rather than the daughter he had promised when they had paired. I had been only two at the time I overheard that lovely tidbit of Elysian culture discussed as if it were as tranquil and innocent as a day at the beach – and it still settled about as well as curdled milk inside me, no matter how deeply the perverse poison had inched into my heart.

The conversation turns, though, for which I am grateful; its not that I’m unused to curiosities when it comes to minds who do not know the tales of the lands they hear in passing, but that I find that the thought of this one finding his way to that wretched land is almost as awful as the thought of returning to it myself. While we have only just met, he is kind and displays manners that I’ve found lacking in others, the most simple denotation of this behavior being that he asks as many questions of me as he answers of himself, not focusing the words on one side of the fence as those who seek to use others are prone to do; while this stag is not one I can define in detail as my sisters or the cruel keepers of Elysia, I do know that my homeland is no such place for a man with gold in his heart such as this one.

He’d have a good life as someone’s personal soldier, until she seduced him and he failed or he grew less handsome and less capable than his younger competition - whether he could fight or not, he was fine stock to breed from. Either way, it wouldn’t end well for Murdock and his strange black coat.

His smile falls as I what once was his home, and I watch the change of expression with a passing interest that does not care that it hurts. Much of the things we will learn in our lives are unpleasant truths that, had we been given the choice, might have wished to never have heard – but it did not change the fact that it was real and tangible, that it was how it was in the present hour. And while I feel sad that his home as he remembers it is gone, cast across time like sand into the wind, it is not so much that I regret telling him what he needed to know as I regret feeling so cold and without compassion for it.

He asks me what I do there after a short pause, as if he has digested that time has mutilated everything once again and has accepted that home is no longer there if it ever was. My eyes glimmer in thought and a single ear tools backwards as I try to remember the word for my ranking, a strange thing contrived by Seele and her lunatics that, surely, might have been an easier one if they’d only thought a little longer on it. Skýlos makes a chortling, low toned barking sound alongside me that I recognize as laughter; I swat her with my lion’s tail with an audible shkk-pop to get her to shut the hell up before answering. "A Genetrix, of the lowest tier," my accent is heavy around my rank and makes the strange word for the learners sound even more foreign than it is, "I seek answers to what there is to know." I don’t know what my job is called in other herds, either, and so I cannot suggest much more than an added description of what I do.

The thought of bringing to mention the runes in the caverns seems interesting, but the caverns are tied to dark events and I have already spoiled the conversation with solemn topics too many times this not so fine, blustering eve.

Credits

Gaz

Laughter echoes from her mouth at his musings, dispersing into the darkness like mist before she speaks again. He could not help but be intrigued by this world she spoke of, seeming so strange and foreign in its customs that he felt the need to ask more. He refrained, however, as it seemed to be a subject she did not want to discuss in depth. He had never heard of a land ruled by women, and though he imagined such a place would be peaceful and orderly, she claimed it was not so. Were the women there so different from her? Despite her powerful appearance, she had so far proved to be more gentle than he had at first expected.

Conversation turns with his next question, however, and thoughts of this distant land fade from his mind as they are replaced by memories of a far more familiar one. He missed the Foothills and his cave in the cliffs, but he would not be going back any time soon; too much had changed and there was nothing there for him now. His thoughts return to his company as muffled laughter reaches his ears followed by a sharp snapping sound. A smile emerges on his lips once more as he glances down to the dog, wondering what she could have found so entertaining.

His attention returns to Cealestis as she speaks once more, informing him of her rank. He had never heard of a ‘Genetrix’, though her elaboration provided him with some idea as to what her role was. It sounded as though she was a scholar, or something of the sort. If he possessed the attention span and the focus required to perform such research as required for the job, it would have been something he would like to do. However, Murdock had never been much good at sitting still or dedicating his energy to uncovering answers, and he had been trained to fight since birth.

He was always curious, though, and such a virtue would be valuable to one seeking answers. “There are all sorts of questions out there to be answered,” he smiled lopsidedly at her, shifting his weight in the soft snow underfoot. “I imagine you will find much of interest in Helovia. It has taken me months to learn its secrets and even now I imagine there are stones left to be turned.” It must be very different from her homeland, what with all the herds and the hierarchy and the flawed structures of the kingdom she called home.

“What answers are you most driven to find?” He asked softly, pulling his wings tighter against his sides in the frigid wind. He recalled many months ago, in this same territory, the first scholar he had met. She had found him alone in the snow and withstood his questions and his prying, opening up to what she studied and what she had learned. He always wanted to know more. He always wanted to explore and learn and perhaps, if she could use such a loose spirit as himself, he could help this new friend he had found.

"talk talk talk"

Image Credit
x

I dwell in the companionship I’ve found, dangling as I always am off the solid edge of everything into the precipice of the unknown darkness that has lingered at my hooves all my life. Perhaps that is why the sky is comforting; it has no corners to be pinned to, no bottom from which to fall or top to hold me back. It is weightlessness, freedom, the allure of all the things my soul wishes to hold to itself and cannot manage to grasp tightly enough. While the conversation is not one that I care for, revolving around my dark heart and the women who had bent it so, it is a conversation, and he keeps up with me with his inquisitive glances and cheerful smiles, at least just so; the notion that a realm of women was more savage than any ruled by man seemed one that was hard to grasp for him, and perhaps I have discredited my tales with my own kindness.

But he deserves it, for he offers it as if it is air and has no end. Such souls are rare.

He takes in the title of my rank with the briefest hesitation that withers when I explain the strange name away. His smile as he shifts is the most genuine he’s worn yet, and I find myself easing into the soft lines as quickly as my heart screams out in protest, the wrath of a thousand starved lions bleeding its sour sound through the beauty of our shared time together. My insides ripple with the dark bongs of the Elysian bells burned there, controlled still by the wavering ties of my stronger will. It was only a matter of time.

The thought consumes me as he speaks on my work, the words partially heard through the pulsing of my spirit as it weakens under its daily struggle. To be so lonely while not alone is a hell I do not want – to know that I must hide to keep myself and the world safe is an ugly truth that I ignore for the sake of more time here, in the normal throws of life, where a woman could share words with a handsome gentleman in the snow and not stain it red with blood.

I feel my blue eyes ripple under the pressing weight of my thoughts, knowing he speaks of Helovia and its mysteries and all I might learn. All the world is this way. Why would Helovia differ? That is simple and without order in comparison to Elysia does not diminish its wonder, only adds to it, and that I have discovered a history lost in the dark confines of a cavern that most born to the land itself do not know only deepens the depth of what I might learn. There had been no tomes in the library of Elysia on the history of Helovia, only a map and its location, a lose jumble of symbols to denote that they believed in Gods as we did and that magic flew through the earth as swiftly as it did beneath our grand palaces.

But Helovia is not broken, or bleeding black blood. It is only sad, and simple.

There was still hope for a brighter future in this place; Elysia had only bones and ash, and I lie among them, even so far from her dark eyes.

His question saves me from myself, allowing me to focus my thoughts on things other than the land of my birth, the place we had fled from, Hemera and Persephone in tow, bound and tethered to our willing sisters, too broken from the ink on their bodies to know we were sparing them.

Where were they now?

That is the answer I most wanted to know, aside from perhaps how to remove the curse from myself – however hopeless a thought that might be.

"I do not know," I answer softly, "I once knew everything by simply dreaming of it. Now I have only my own means to divine and learn from, and it is not the same." He had been open and raw in his expression of self with me, and it was with this in mind that I gathered the strength to be so, myself. It could harm nothing, and while I was resistant to lowering my pride and being a soft hearted filly with a man I barely knew, the weight of my thoughts were so heavy, the days so lonely. Skýlos could only siphon away so much of my guilt and sorrow, too much for only two to support. And Murdock?

He seemed to have a good back.

"I left Elysia with my sisters, but a storm drove us apart. I most want to know where they are, if they are safe," my voice suddenly drops into a next to nothing whisper, perhaps loud enough that he might here it if he lifts his ears and strains, "my dreams said they would be." Blinking slowly as I look into the distance to collect myself, I smile, turning sad blue eyes towards the strange man I’d met in the snows. "I am also learning of Helovia, and the writing once used to record its history in the caverns to which we fled in the darkness alongside two others. Much of what came to pass in the past of this land seems to have been lost. There is much to recover if we might decipher it."

Credits

Gaz

They had been together for perhaps an hour now, standing still in the snow and the bitter wind as if frozen to the stone underfoot. The cool temperatures had begun to get to him, the icy air soaking into his thin coat and burying into his feathers. It had been many weeks since he had visited the north and as such his fur provided little insulation from the cold of the night. However, he payed little mind to the numbing of the tips of his ears and the frost that formed along his whiskers as there were far more intriguing things to be focused on at the moment.

In the silence between the words they spoke, the mare seemed to be consumed by a world within her own thoughts. He searched the depths of her pale blue eyes as she spoke, wondering if perhaps the answer to her troubles might be found within. However, all he could see was the reflection of the stars and the dancing ribbons of light overhead. He enjoyed mysterious beings such as herself; those that caused him to think and provided insight to foreign places and ideas that he had not yet considered or heard about. She was most certainly one of the more interesting creatures, and he was thankful that he had stumbled upon her that night.

She mentioned her sisters and her hopes of finding them and Murdock pitied her loss. He had been separated from his own family; his father was slain when he was less than a year old and months later he had been driven from his homeland, away from his mother and his fleet, to the shores of Helovia. However, he had never had any siblings. He had never even had friends. He had always been seen as the strange one, too ‘different’ to be bothered with. He had found his own means of entertainment, though, and had never really missed the companionship of the other foals.

He was further intrigued by her mission, however, as she mentioned the history of Helovia. He was fascinated with how this place had come to be, as he was with many other things. He had often wondered how the strange old structures had come to be and how the shrines had arrived on the dark and jagged shorelines. He knew of the Gods, of course, but he had heard few tales of them save the ones that had been shared when he was a child. What new stories of the heavens might she have to share?

“I have always wondered about the history of this place,” he looked about himself, tracing the dark and hazy silhouette of the mountains and the sharp features of rocks that broke through the blanket of snow. Well, not this place specifically. The archway leading to the Steppe was bleak and plain, stretching on for miles until the land rose up to the cliffs of the Basin and plunged to the sea at the shoreline. However, it likely still had history of its own.

He turned back to her, a distant smile emerging on his lips as she finished speaking. “I have no experience in the field whatsoever, but if you ever require assistance in your search for answers, I would be more than willing to assist you.” He dipped his head to her, casting a friendly glance at her companion once more. “And if I could be of aid in your search for your sisters…I have little else to occupy myself with for the time.” Unbeknownst to him, he had met one of her sisters many weeks ago, but unfortunately the resemblance between Brighid and the mare before him was too vague for him to recall her face.

"talk talk talk"

Image Credit
x

The cold touches me, too, but it is no bother; I’ve settled into the fact a long while ago that such discomforts are the least of my concerns. The ache of the frost helps keep me focused on moving forward and not becoming ensnared in the dark undulations of my soul beneath the calm and sad exterior that covers it. Dog silently bares her discomfort, the first ushering of our emotional bond suggesting that she is quite cold and miserly, and with a silent show of what little love I can feel for her, I wrap my tail about her haunches and pull her closer to my body, shielding her with a wing.

It’s a slow gesture, one that I don’t want to invite an end to this quiet, stolen moment of serenity in the maelstrom of my thoughts. Perhaps I should seek out Florabella again and more often, the gardening mare who reminded me of my sweet Purrhos, and hide within her warmth as I have Murdock’s; it is false, the sensation of life without a pulse, without dreams, but it is a reprieve.

Do I deserve such things, with what I have done?

He says nothing more of my family as I bleed it across the ice, the staunch of the flow of more interest to him than the fountain that had inspired a quick, invisible seal. That he genuinely means what he says is evident as he glances around him at the frostier parts of Helovia, a curiosity lingering in his eyes that gives the truth of it all away. I find it alluring, this blend of sinew and thought, and meet his smile with a downtrodden version of my own.

It brightens, some, as he offers what he can in my search. At first its simply to hide the grimace that threatens to take my face – traditionally, males had little to do with artifacts and the translation of such things, with only a small number of the men literate where as even the most lowly ranked female handmaid could read Elysian, some capable of many more languages than that. But this is not Elysia, and Quilyan had already paved a road for Murdock to earn consideration rather than immediate scorn.

I would have to teach him, of course – but that was no matter. He seemed he would be quick to learn, and the earliest etchings were primitive enough a child could decipher most of them.

His eyes slip to Skýlos more comfortably nestled beneath and behind my body and downcast wing and the sound of her thudding tail reaches my ears, the second offer falling from him striking me deeply; the only other who had offered me such things had wanted things in return. But this man? I take a hesitant, wavering breath as the realization that he is offering out of kindness strikes the tolling bell into a stunned silence.

I feel a sliver of water run down my cheek, freezing before it falls away.

Rain?

"Wh…Why?" I ask before I know it is leaving my lips, staggering back inwardly while remaining frozen in time on the exterior, the only show of my emotional maelstrom the stutter that breaks my word in two and the crystal of water suspended on my blue cheek. Why do you give me this kindness?

I do not know that he owes my blood for his life; a certain blunt and crass damsel had flown in to his salvation, trumpeting her cries of war. Oh, if only I did. If only I had been there to hear her as she sang out the song that had always flooded her savage soul.

Brighid, who had unchained her heart through the use of her strength, where I had only been able to beat it back with my logic and dreams while slowly losing my mind to a bitter, cold embrace.

I had no dreams to cushion me, anymore, and the thought is terrifying. How fast will I fade when I go? Will I still know who I am, even when no one else can see her?

Credits

Gaz

Why? He wasn’t sure. Perhaps it was just part of his nature, just part of the fabric of his soul to lend himself to the worthy causes of others. He had little to lose, little to give, but he felt inclined to offer all he had. He had been alone far too long now, stranded in a world that had seemed to become empty as his family and friends melted into the shadows, never to be found again. They remained as long lost memories that he would chase until the end of his days, but in the meantime? Well, for now he would settle for making new friends along the way. Cealestis, in all her mystery and curious markings, seemed to be a good place to start.

He smiled, lopsidedly again, tilting his chin upward to meet her gaze. “I have lost family, too. I’ve lost those who mean the most to me and I know I have no hope of finding them again. I know how it feels to be alone,” he paused, his throat burning as he inhaled the cool air. “If I can be of any assistance in helping you find your sisters, then I will provide all the aid I can.” He didn’t know how many miles they might have to travel to even locate a trace of her kin, how many caverns and forests they might have to search, but that didn’t matter to him. The unknown was always an adventure, and of course, such a thing was never refused by him.

His own family, however, was but a memory. He knew he could not return to Evendim, not unless by some magic he could become invisible and slip beneath the watchful eyes of the guards he had escaped from to get to his mother. She was all he had left now, the only family he knew of and he was not even sure if she was alive. The only other who meant as much to him was as far gone now as the sun, descended into darkness, never to rise again.

He expected nothing in return from Cealestis, of course. He had never been one to require payment for his aid or even a favour in return. He did what he could out of kindness, out of a desire to help others and to learn and experience new things along the way. Perhaps one would argue that he was too old for learning now, too old to be running circles around the world chasing after myths and memories. He would never be too old. Nothing would ever quell the desire within his heart to explore and it would remain as strong as it had been when he was a colt.

"talk talk talk"

Image Credit
x

To all my confusion, he offers a simple thing, white and gentle with all the necessary accoutrements to soften the tension that has wreathed my heart, emotions that make Dog peer at me with wide blue eyes full of worry and restrained fear. She knows how deep the poison runs in my blood, the active struggles that I take part in daily without an ounce of my will poured into the notion; it grows weary, it grows tiring. The only ones who know my pain are lost into the wind, and this man is so obliviously courting ease into the heart of a hungry tigress, entirely unaware of what sort of woman I can be as logic slips away and the ego takes a firmer grasp on the physical actions I take.

Another crystal freezes on the cheek opposite the other; Dog wriggles beneath my hooves, her tail curled and pressed into her haunches and wrapped to her belly, her low whine almost without notice over the wind and slow cadence of Murdock’s voice.

To meet his gaze is to meet a thousand devils and saviors dancing in a struggle that has defined my life since its forth year, but I do it with the bravery known to the princesses of Elysia, with the strength of will that has forged my path until now. Inside, the bell is riotous, it roars and bongs with the ferocity of seven storms, it darkens the solid blue of my irises and darkens my soul, but there is light.

There has always been light.

When his words fall away, so do my eyes, almost as if to rescind into myself to watch my heart being constricted by the black blood that pulses and the emotion that throbs beneath its mutilated surface; his offer is genuine and it touches the parts of my soul that are still sensitive to kindnesses, the parts that have not hardened and steeled themselves into the dark paths of my ancestors, the one that we have all been forced to walk by no will of our own.

Could he find them? Were they even still alive?

And the strangest of it all was that he seemed to offer out of kindness, out of a goodness that nurtured his soul, and I cannot understand it. The land of my birth was a place of treachery and self service, and such acts as what was offered to me were unheard of and mocked. More reminders of how far the wind has tugged me, of how lost I have become.

The dreams had lied. They were not here, and they never would be. I would die alone and crazed as Hemera, lost in the madness I had never wanted or understood.

"Thank you," I settle on, my voice cold and emotionless despite the degree of aches and tribulations that undulate through my core, a restrained tone that hides the peeling of my bitter soul as it longs to extinguish the light that so blinds the wretched creature within me, "I… I don’t have much to offer you but my company, and it is only good for a time." A frown creases the prettiness of my face, thoughts uncontrolled rising to the surface as they did thousands of times that want to guide me far, far away from this man.

Before I can hurt him as I have done the others – but desperation, it burns deep, and loneliness is cold and dreary.

"There are seven of us, including myself," I say after a time, pulling to mind gently and affectionately each image of my darling siblings, they’re grace and beauty a balm to an aching heart such as my own, "we are all marked with the ink, though we share little else than this. Our fathers… none of us are of the same man." It is the truth behind that statement that causes the angst to rise in the hollow of my breast again, memories of the men my mother had used like trash and discarded from the vast windows with wings broken and ruined.

"Selene…" my pale sister, my beloved daughter of the Moon, the midnight mistress of my heart; how far she drifted from me in the storm, how deeply I long for her love, "Selene of the Moon, lost Hemera, brave Brighid, cruel Persephone and mad Iris. And blessed, gentle Antiope… even a whisper of them would ease the ache of my heart."

Credits

Gaz

Murdock shook his head at her offer, wayward strands of curled hair falling across his dark face. He required nothing in return for his assistance. Knowing he had done something to help another was reward enough for him; of course, he would not refuse her company. She had intrigued him since first he had laid eyes on her, with her pale coat and pastel markings, her hollow gaze and twisted history. Though he had ventured out onto this steppe in search of something, or rather someone, else, he was not at all disappointed with what he had found instead.

“It takes little to entertain me, my dear. Your company would be most welcome, though you needn’t concern yourself with payment of any sort. It would be my pleasure to aid you as best I can.” Of course, he had no idea whether there was any hope of recovering her lost kin. They could be anywhere and the world was far too vast for two to cover in any reasonable amount of time. However, she would likely have some idea of where they were likely to have hidden themselves away. He only hoped they would at least be able to find some trace of them, something that might provide the answers to her questions.

His brow rose as she mentioned being one of seven children, an impressive number he had not quite expected. Was seven not supposed to be a lucky number? He had heard that somewhere, but perhaps that was another idea he had dreamed up out of boredom or some superstition that had haunted him. Six others they would have to find then, searching the many forests and mountains and caves of this planet for her lost siblings. But perhaps they would not be so hard to find as he feared.

She mentioned each of her sisters by name, her voice filled with pride and love for her siblings. One name, however, stood out to him. Brighid. He had heard that before, had he not? Perhaps it was someone else, someone completely unrelated, but could she have been one of the sisters Cealestis was searching for? He searched his mind for her face, recalling the towering amazon mare who had rescued him from the horrible wretch who had attacked him on the shore of the stream. He remembered her war cry, shattering the air, heavy with darkness, and driving off the gaunt creature who had torn his wings to shreds like silk.

“Brighid...” he echoed softly, suddenly seeing the similarities between this mare before him and the one who had saved his life. She had been of different colouring, a more earthy tone with gold and copper. However, she had also worn similar ink and had been of similar build. Excitement built within his chest, a smile emerging on his lips as he met her pale gaze. “I have met a Brighid. It was months ago now, but she saved my life. She had also been a member of the Foothills, but now...she could be anywhere. I never saw her again after that,” he paused. “There is hope, though. Perhaps she is still in Helovia.”

"talk talk talk"

Image Credit
x

A spark of interest crosses his face as I whisper the names of my beloved siblings, my blue eyes searching the change of the lines for some promise that I have finally stumbled upon a path that is not dead ends and wasted words.

They are here, I know it in my soul. Where else could they be? Why else would my dreams send me here?

He mirrors a name as my words cease, a beautiful name that fills my wretched heart with a hope so bright it scalds, it burns. My lips grow slack in eagerness, my pupiless eyes flickering with a wetness that I cannot control or understand in its entirety. I have never been the sort to wallow in loneliness, I was never the sort to need them so when all I had to do was call out their names and they would pour from the heavens to my side.

Skýlos whines softly and wags her tail weakly, leaning into my leg as she feels the odd rush of sorrow entwining with hope and love. It is one she feels often.

She still does not understand.

He says he knows her, my valorous sister of the earth, and a weakness swells in my thoughts, white and blinding and fuzzy as cloud kisses, the world fading out ever so slightly in the intoxicating rush of hope that consumes me at the simple mention that she is alive.

She is surely not in the Foothills, what I knew to be the Falls in the present era, for I have never seen her or caught wind of her scent in the myriad hills and hollows, trickling over the silver brows of the rivers that dappled the body of the realm. He’s smiling, I take note of, but for why I do not know.

Perhaps he cares to ease a woman’s aching soul, perhaps it fills him with purpose.

That Brighid had saved him from a moment of peril is not one I doubt for a moment; her heart is full of fire and bravado, and while we are not of the most honorable of lineages, Brighid stands proud and regal among us with her statutes of defending those who needed her aid. I am not so bothered by the suffering of others as she would have been, and I cannot promise I would have spared him as she had.

I likely would have merely walked away, as if the screams were only wind.

I can see her in battle, oh, how my heart remembers them each with abysmal perfection. My cheeks are cold in the frigid wind that buffets us, my body complains quietly beneath my pressing emotions that it is cold, ever so cold.

But I deserve it, don’t I?

"Brighid…" such a sweet note to sound out over the dark peels of the bell that hangs in my heart, "Brighid is of the Earth, in coloration and soul. If she wore anything like these hideous things…" A wing pulls aside to reveal the blue lines etched deep in my skin across my haunches, the same pain as always rising in me when I remember and know what they have done to me, to us. The right complains as it stretches, the band that had broken aggravated in the chill that buffets and sweeps, but it hurts more often than I’d like to admit. Perhaps it is only the contrast of true pain rising over the aches in my spirit that makes it so obvious this night.

"I have not seen her in the Falls," I add softly, the intoxicating high of the hope I’d felt run through me fleeting and swift fading to leave me in the trenches of despair that rise after such rushes of positivity, "yet... you are right. She could still be in Helovia."

Credits

Gaz

The sound of her voice as she spoke her sister’s name stirred something in his heart. He had never had any siblings, not even close childhood friends to which he had become so attached as to love them like family. He had only had his mother and the fleeting figure of his father with which to find companionship, but it had been years since he had been able to seek their comfort. His father was gone, slain by the enemy, and his mother...he was reluctant to consider her fate. How he wished to return home, to learn what had become of his fleet and what family he may have left. But they were not all he had lost.

A dark and shadowed figure slipped into the fog of his mind, the edges of its form so pure and crisp it was as if it stood before him. He knew what this was, who this was, though he didn’t dare summon her name to his thoughts. He had lost her as well; he had let her slip from his grasp into the darkness, the endless expanses of this world. Where she had gone, he would likely never know. But he would never stop dreaming of her, never stop searching for her until he found her or he could no longer summon the strength to walk.

It filled him with satisfaction, though, to hear the energy in this mare’s voice at the mention of her sister, the fleeting promise of hope. He dipped his head as she spoke, affirming the appearance of the valiant creature who had burst forth from the shadows to save him from that horrid wraith. In that eternal darkness within which they had been trapped, she was like a beacon of hope, her body gilded and bronze against the black and white world.

“If she is here, there may be a good chance the rest of your sisters are not far. Especially if you are here as well. Perhaps they are closer than you think,” he smiled encouragingly, taking a step toward her as if through his proximity he might offer some comfort. Though somehow, he doubted this mare neither needed nor wanted the reassurance of a man at her side. He took note of the dog again, her small body wrapped in the curve of her companion’s tail. Dogs were skilled hunters, where they not? Perhaps the canine and her sense of smell could be of some assistance.

He curled his wings against his sides, coveting the heat that threatened to rise from his body and disperse into the cool night. There was nothing more he could do for her tonight, and it would do little to aid their search to tire themselves discussing the whereabouts of those they sought. “We must meet again soon. Somewhere a little warmer, perhaps. You can tell me more about your sisters and perhaps we might begin our search,” he smiled warmly, meeting her pupiless gaze. He enjoyed her company, her mere presence. She pushed away the shadow of loneliness that trailed him about and he was reluctant to part ways with her. But the air was bitter and cold and dawn was not too far away. They both needed to get some rest.

"talk talk talk"

Image Credit
x