the Rift

[OPEN] strangers make the best confidantes [Petra Welcoming]

Petra Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

“I don't need another friend that tells me what I want to hear... You can always speak freely in my presence.”

Petra was momentarily startled out of her own head by the words whispered to her. She looked back at her companion in a brief, wide eyed glance, but then quickly regained her composure and snapped her head forward again. In that moment, she considered her well mannered exterior. It was not borne out of an insincere or duplicitous heart. Petra prided herself on offering an honest representation to one and all, albeit tinted with rose colored glasses. Kindness. Empathy. She had never met anyone who could not use both. She knew though that if she were being honest with herself that this served a double purpose. It allowed her to avoid and deny her own pain, something she had always sought to do.

Petra caught herself nervously pawing the ground with her front right hoof, dredging up an earthy smell. Stop it! she demanded, willing her leg to be still. It was a newly discovered tick that she rather wished would disappear. She planted her hoof firmly into the soil while continuing the frustrated echos in her head, hoping no one had sensed her apprehension.

Petra turned her head back ever so slightly in Kahlua's direction. The skinny mare offered a warm look and a small smile that she hoped conveyed her good intentions, but then focused her attention on the newcomer who had just emerged and introduced himself. A stallion: bay, roughly her height, but with a more robust frame, and topped off by a large black horn which looked particularly sharp. She nodded at him as she was introduced and appreciatively followed when her companion ushered the three of them to an area of cool shade. Petra's cream coat did not soak in the sun's radiant heat the way the queen's most likely did, but her masses of hair frequently produced a thermal effect which she was grateful for in any other season but this one.

“Welcome. Have you been traveling long?” Petra felt both sets of eyes on her. Of course, small talk. It was expected as part of introductions. She felt her hoof start it's familiar back and forth pattern, but again fixed its position in the ground. The long haired mare put on her most pleasant smile to reply. "I had been traveling on my own before this delightful creature came to my aid," she motioned to Kahlua with a gentle nod. "And you know when one travels on one's own it can be quite the task to keep track of the time. I do not think I could tell you if I was gone for two days or twenty." She let out a small laugh her in lilting contralto voice. "Time can slip right away from you when you are out and about all alone in the world." Petra paused. A small sigh escaped her, loaded with everything that would remain unspoken. Enough of unpleasant thoughts. "But you said you were a nurse? Healers were quite revered where I grew up. Tell me, are your skills needed here often? And what is your training like?" she inquired with bright, genuine curiosity.

[OOC: thanks! haha I'm definitely starting to see the liquid timey-ness]

Petra walks. Petra thinks. Petra talks.
Image Credits: swillowness.deviantart.com, almondjoyy5.deviantart.com. Manip by PinnacleStudios

Messages In This Thread
RE: strangers make the best confidantes [Petra Welcoming] - by Petra - 06-22-2014, 10:23 PM