the Rift

[OPEN] strangers make the best confidantes [Petra Welcoming]

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
RUSKE

I had been hoping perhaps for a little support from Kahlua – to ease the burden of speech resting firmly upon my back (phoenix help us). She only shook away my statement however. Sparing a brief, incredulous glance in her direction, I let the matter drop rather than press it. How could anyone with magic and patience enough to craft that wall be so.... what was the word? Daft? It might have been an act, I supposed, but if it was, she’d managed to render it so thoroughly convincing as to seem genuine. And I hadn’t the energy, anymore, to rest on suspicions of everyone. Much easier to think her lacking faculties. Dismissing, then, any support I expected from my queen, I returned my attention to the newcomer, and the inexcusably long speech still leaking out of my throat.

Polite, at least. I suppose that is the best I could say of this Petra; she gave me little enough to work with. Whoever had taught her be so quiet and collected? Bred from finer stock than myself, no doubt. My brief recollection of my own past, at least, evoked some reaction from her: a sort of grimace, and yet more silence. So many creatures were quick to extol the virtues of healing without understanding the foundations of its knowledge – the necessary sacrifices. I judged her then to be a frail thing, mincing and polite but lacking any backbone. Maybe she could find a place in diplomacy, then. Or maybe she was young enough to get over her reservations... I shook my contemplation away. It didn’t matter.

When Petra began to speak, at least, I pricked up my ears and listened. “Goodness, a medic born on the field of battle. You must have stories.” I answered with a quiet snort. Stories. Nightmares, more like. I felt unwelcome resentment growing within me – either for the mare or for my own sorry mind, I could not say. “I suppose you’ve more than ample time to find whatever innate talents you do have,” I observed, in answer to her second statement, “and use them to our best advantage.” I meant to sound encouraging, but perhaps my tone came out a bit too sharp. Perhaps it would simply motivate her in a different way, then. “Count yourself lucky,” I added at the last, “To have enjoyed such peace.” And when had I ever known it? Now.

It was boring.

Yet it had also been my goal, so long ago, when I had been without it, and I supposed I should seem more grateful to have found the Edge, to be enjoying its bounty.

NursE
world's edge
Image Credit

[ @[Petra] Ahhh so sorry I forgot I owed here ;-; Apparently I've also forgotten how to write this guy... hrm. ]

Messages In This Thread
RE: strangers make the best confidantes [Petra Welcoming] - by Ruske - 07-01-2014, 07:04 PM