the Rift

[OPEN] That's no hallucination

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

100%

For a moment Africa hesitated, white knee buckling as the tanned hoof below swivelled around through the thick mat of old pine needles and litter. "There is more to this land than meets the eye... We’ll talk again in the oasis." Still the grin lingered; not only curling the dappled mare’s thin grey lips, but also playfully etched throughout her gently crafted expression. Impishly she winked one eye towards her speckled company. As her face turned again towards the direction they would be travelling (south, beyond the distant column of black smoke), long black lashes tightened together and her face pinched with growing concentration.

Her body began at once to twist and contort, mist swirling forward to cloak the transformation. Bones began to contract and skin to shrivel; feathers began to spread rapidly all over. Her hind legs shrank, the thin red-dusted fur lining dissolved to reveal patterned grey skin; and those to the front changed into wings, much smaller than the one she usually sported. The act of shape shifting was gruelling and painful, and her mind screamed silently the agony which radiated through her contorting core- by the end (perhaps thirty seconds later), the surreal mist surrounding just Africa began to disperse into that which still slowly faded with the dawn. From its midst fluttered an ordinary looking parrot, mottled-grey with a white face and creamy-yellow eyes; behind it flared a short, blunt red tail.

The parrot squawked crudely, rising through an open gap in the canopy nearby to where the mares had been chatting, dipping and swinging precariously (and playfully), as it went. Silas watched patiently for a moment longer, eye balling the other Pegasus carefully before cawing plainly at her and skipping along the bough he’d been resting upon. He was quite used to Africa’s magical ability these days, though it was uncommon (because of its excruciating affect) that she used it without good reason- a swift route home with one so engaging was apparently just that. He cawed again before spreading open his own glossy black (purple-sheen) wings and in the soft light the stars embellishing them glistened still merrily. Swooping down towards Africa’s interest briefly, the zephyr circled her and swept upwards through the same space towards the dull blue morning sky. His beloved was not as agile or swift in her parrot form, and he caught her easily, rushing by to fly ahead and scout their path (a task he rather enjoyed).

Africa guided them south and a little east as quickly as her short wings and stocky body could travel. It was a considerable distance to cover and she could not gain nearly enough altitude to ride the thermals like once she had as a perfectly fit two-winged Pegasus. Parrots were built primarily to forage through forests and jungles, and covering vast distances was quite exhausting. She passed gradually over the long stretch of meadowland, its winding blue river, and the oak scattered length beyond. Bodies were infrequently strewn throughout; brown blurs or black shadows in motion also, performing whatever duty they saw fit. Her path never faltered however, they were well clear of those primitive souls bound down to the earth by gravity’s cruel shackles. The parrot mourned for their inability, all too aware of such entrapment.

Soon they were gliding towards the smoke tower that had been; as unassuming as it had seemed from such a distance as atmosphere above the Threshold had been. Africa deviated a little so as not to plunge them into its choking centre- below she could see the molten lava lake, crimson and red; as furious as wildfire, and nearly as beautiful as He who was its creator. All across the parched clay surrounding it, the shining faces of gemstones shimmered, though she knew they were quite untouchable. Rumour suggested that those greedy hearts, who tried to claim the treasures as their own, fell upon grave misfortune- though the Starry-Eyed held not a covetous bone in her body. Never had she thought to pry them from their burnt, rust-tinged bed.

Once beyond Helovia’s Heart, the bridge soon materialized through the expanding heat haze- the desert sands forming across the vast, flat horizon. To either side of the rocky strip of land, waves frothed and lashed angrily; those which had swallowed hungrily the great metal wall which would one day have secured the border of the Dragon’s Throat. The coastal brackish air grew quickly hot, the moisture seemingly sapped from her body. Right away Africa’s skin began to dry out and itch, though she continued; flapping more frequently to stay afloat as her energy levels began to deteriorate. Silas felt the weariness of his beloved, and doubled back to match her waning speed as encouragement. The rippling blur of emerald-green was growing steadily before them. When at last they fell upon the lush, shady soils of paradise, the parrot’s trembling body dropped heavily into a cushy bed of blooming primrose. She closed her eyes and began again to transform; the unlikely mist materialising to cover her again.

"Dragon’s Throat..." She sighed minutes later, as her balance began to steady again and her mind to clear. "Welcome home Rei!" A warm smile spread through her pale, feminine features and she gestured with a shrug and opened wing for the other mare to follow along a well worn track a little deeper through the lavish undergrowth.

image credits
Table and Picture by Nicole <3

@[Rei] & any

Rei Posts: 140
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen

Rei

Rei's curiosity was beckoned by the siren's call of Africa's playful demeanor. It was the cryptic statement that along with a wink that had thrown her imagination to the skies. She dreamed up many different ways in which this land would live up to the description that it had just been given.

A light fog surrounded Africa hiding her from Rei's sight. So the other pegasus could make fog? Impressive, but not enough for such a build up. Feeling a bit deflated Rei had a slight pout but she remained polite. After all, she couldn't personally call in a mist on a whim. Playfully she blew at the mist moving a small section away. As the remaining mist dispersed a grey parrot fluttered squawking towards her. Stunned she stepped back tossing her head. With her heart hammering in her chest she watched the bird as it took unabashed delight in its flight.

"That couldn't have been what she meant?" Rei muttered to herself while cautiously sniffing the ground where Africa and then the parrot had been. The smell was still the same. For both.

After calling for Africa a few times she looked up to where Silas still perched on his branch. With the look that he gave her she could practically hear him telling her to get over it. The he too took flight.

Worried about being left behind Rei scrambled on the ground to follow. After a few stumbling strides she took to the air. In the beginning of the flight she tried hard not to outright stare at the grey parrot flying in front of her. As time passed she instead became enraptured by the scenery that they passed over.

Her eyes flicked to those that she saw far below on the ground. Rei gasped at some of the strange colored and the strange shaped. Most of them moved with such purpose, happily she dreamed up stories for each of them about where they were going and where they were from. Briefly she wondered how big Helovia was and if she would come face to face with any of those that they passed over.

Her eyes raked curiously over the changing land as it slipped from the lush forest to lakes of fiery lava. Blinking heavily against the rising heat from the surface she stretched her wings widely reveling in the warmth.

Rei felt more content than what she had in ages. The land had taken root in her heart. Already she loved every landmark, tree, and stone as if they were her own.

As the flight continued she watched the parrot slow a bit and she briefly wondered if she should offer a spot on her back for the remainder of the flight. Talking over the wind she called out to the parrot, "I have no idea where we are going, but if you need a break you can hitch a ride with me for a bit." Feeling slightly awkward she smiled at the bird. A moment later another smile gently formed on her face as she watched Silas appear beside the tiring parrot in a clearly supportive gesture.

Once again the land beneath them had changed and now it was a sweltering desert. Rei watched waves hungrily grasp at the land. Surrounded by the fierce elements sat a soft green stretch of thick grasses and vegetation. The parrot angled herself down towards the green and Rei followed suit.

Nervousness churned strong in her stomach as she prepared to land. Normally landing after a long stretch of being in flight would cause one to be a bit nauseous but Rei was feeling it at a completely new level.

After landing the mist returned and rather than a parrot, Africa stood in front of Rei again. Swallowing past a suddenly dry mouth she smiled shakily at the pegasus that had led her here.

"Home." she breathlessly looked about. "It has been some time since I have called anyplace that." She walked a few steps behind Africa thinking of Lytninia. Helovia was a vastly different land.

Was it okay for Rei to call somewhere home before finding her father? Could it be home without her mother or father? A sharp pain flashed through her as she remembered the the pair being together. She remembered a day when the rain had suddenly began to pour down. From her dry place she had watched them coming towards her. Herlov had his wing spread over her mother's ebony body but Leridana had broken into a run leaving the shelter of his wing. She pranced through the downpour laughing after tripping. Playfully she had looked back to see if her father had followed. Of course he had. The two spent half an hour acting like yearlings playing in the mud and rain. Her mother had later trotted proudly through the castle the other pegasi had only smiled and shaken their heads. Rei had slid behind her mother slipping in her mother's trail of mud and water.

A bittersweet smile found its way onto her mottled pink lips. "I came here looking for my father," Rei let out a deep sigh before continuing. It wasn't a sigh so much of sadness as it was one of relief. "I have been looking for him for a long while. I am not forgetting about him, and I am not ending my search. But I am taking a break. Africa, is it wrong for me to do so?" Rei shook her head in frustration. She was five years old, no longer a filly but not far into being a mare either. There was still a yearning in her for guidance from someone. Dreamily she continued,"You should have seen the happiness that my mother and father shared together. I wish to find that for myself. Not necessarily finding it in another but in whatever form it may take. I suppose that flying the nest isn't ever a simple ordeal. I feel as if by going forward I am leaving my parents behind."

"Speaking of things that aren't simple, I see that you are far from a simple mare. Are you a parrot capable of going pegasus, or a pegasus capable of going parrot?"The thought that it could actually be perfectly normal for those here to suddenly change form had occurred to her. Laughing she continued, "I am going to feel rather hum drum if it is normal for Helovians to do such things!"

She was calling a herd in a land that she knew little about home. The idea set her pulse racing in both a way that sent chills of excitement flowing through her from the tips of the stubby whiskers that freckled her nose all of the way to her hooves. Would she be accepted? She had been so comfortable around Africa that she had not considered the others that she may come across. Did the prejudices from her former home exist here? With that thought memories came rushing back leading her to stepping close enough to Africa that she could feel their feathers brushing against one another.

"What are the others in Dragon's Throat like?" Despite her inner concerns Rei strained to keep her voice light.

Blushing she stepped back away from the other pegasus' side and continued with her head held high. First impressions meant a lot after all. She would meet her new her mates with her head high and a bright grin. Someone like Africa wouldn't lead her to those with wicked hearts.

OOC: That would be really neat! I was trying to figure out what role would suit her and then bam you come out with that. I have no idea how or when you would want that brought up but I am definitely all for it!

Magic usage is okay.
Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
I am also okay with being tagged.

Deceased

100%

The effects of shape-shifting- the pain, the disorientation, all diminished quite quickly. The delicate brush of a mimosa’s leaves against her salt-riddled, mottled hide and the lovely shade cast across to shelter her weary hot form were a great comfort; and she revelled in the lavish gifts of her home. Africa thought the oasis to be far prettier than the mist-strewn forest of the Edge, and still more fruitful than the grassy north, where the Falls lay hidden. It was a haven, disguised by the harshest of climates and most inhospitable of landscapes. She nibbled quietly at the brilliant yellow flower of a young aquis pipe plant; though the bloom held no trace of water (there had been no rain for nearly a whole month), Africa knew well that it held properties powerful enough to satisfy the pang of hunger- even being so tiny delicate. Careful teeth plucked the flower from the dark green plant and swallowed it.

"Home..." the speckled mare uttered, and Africa peered curiously behind to see the other glancing around the leafy thickets surrounding. ‘It has been some time since I have called anyplace that." The dappled Pegasus didn’t say anything, instead allowing Rei a moment to indulge her senses. Though the air was rich with the tang of coastal salt, there was a strong summer scent, grass and flowers and occasionally born to life by the rare breeze, the sweet flavour of the Throat’s water. Instead she smiled, turning again to the track winding beneath her clever tread.

"I came here looking for my father,” the spotted one continued after a moment. And without diverting her concentration, Africa nodded. Rei told her that she’d been searching for him, and queried whether her coming to Helovia to rest was a sin. "I don’t think so," the dappled cooed, pausing her stride to swivel and bump softly blowing nostrils towards the other reassuringly. "You can’t search for him very well if you’ve burnt yourself out, Rei." She smiled and chuckled calmly before adding with a playful snort, "...we will fatten you up and send you on your way soon enough." As Africa began again towards the lake, her company, her new friend, spoke of the relationship shared by her parents; the way they’d inspired her to fledge and begin along the road to maturity (or that what she perceived the story to mean).

Her own parents had been similar; Veroldkel and Emelda, back in Nyorm. Africa closed her eyes absently as she thought of them. Their bond had seemed so attractive, so powerful, and as a girl (even after parting from their nest), the Starry-Eyed had dreamed of something like it for herself. Helovia was cruel though, and many experiences had soured her ambition. Only in the last few weeks had she rediscovered that desire, and now for the first time in years, she felt the comfortable warmth of belonging.

Rei’s voice began to fade, and Africa’s pale gaze opened with a start; guilt flooding her ashen face. "A parrot... er..." Apparently they’d covered more ground than she’d expected- the bright, sunlit-blue surface of the water was winking playfully through the narrow copse of trees ahead. "I’m sorry, you spoke of your parents and what you said reminded me so much of my own family." It had been such a long time though... "The God of the Earth granted me magic to transform into a parrot. I cannot fly any other way." The explanation was warm, and thoughtful, and her eyes had again shifted to contact the black and white’s own. "One day I hope he might help me again, and give me the ability to understand and speak in Helovian tongue while I am transformed." A parrot was a parrot after all

As her company laughed, Africa chortled also. Curiously, as she settled, she asked, "What magic do you seek?"

As that conversation waned, the Starry-eyed led her on to the lakes edge. "What are the others in Dragon's Throat like?" Rei questioned lightly, though the grey had indeed noticed the sudden closeness of their two bodies; the whoosh of sleek feathers as wing brushed gently against wing. She didn’t flinch though, and almost as quickly the other mare had pulled away. "We are a diverse bunch, small in numbers still, but a close-knit family. I should expect you will feel most at home." It was a broad speculation, but she felt confident that she would be well received. Dragon’s Throat was a peaceful and secluded tribe- quite unlike the fiendish Unicorns of the Basin. "Have you any talents, or an education? If you are interested, you could take up a job, a rank." Of course she was only new, and Africa respected that. The one-winged dipped her nose to the surface of the water.

image credits

Rei Posts: 140
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen

Rei

Rei's eyes softened and she lightly brushed her nose against her new found friend's. In the slight motion lay the wordless solace that can only be offered through spirits made kindred through the same sort of longing. In Africa's soft doe-like eyes Rei had seen the whisperings of her own heart. The yearning for one's parents was something no one could escape.

The weighted sigh that escaped her lips was the last sign of her inner musings before she moved forward to the brighter topic on hand. "You must be extremely thankful for such a gift. I am glad that you can still fly." Looking up at the vast blue sky full of endless possibilities she continued speaking while squinting her eyes against the glaring sun. "The contentment of letting the summer breeze dance around you whilst you glide. The rush of making your way through a savage storm. Nothing compares to flight." She looked at the other pegasus curiously, who was she? How did one come about getting a God to do such a thing?

Rei's head jerked a little in response to the startle she received from Africa's question.

"Me? Magic?" Several grand versions of herself pranced through her head. "Well I haven't ever thought about it. Not since I was a foal, back in Lytninia becoming capable of doing such things wasn't believed to be possible. I suppose Helovia's lands must be teeming with surprises if I have already came across this many in a matter of days." Already beginning to lose herself in unrestrained daydreaming "I cannot wait to discover them all. One day my name will be well known across these lands." Far from the grip of the spite that sickened her homeland she would kick down success' door. She would make it not because of those who had previously stood in her way but instead she would reach high places in spite of them. Those she had once wished to see fall from their ivory towers she had became indifferent towards and only wished for them to squirm in the brightness of the future she would pave for herself.

"I hope to spend much time here! Maybe my father will stumble upon this place also. It is what they all recommend to do whenever you are lost, after all. Stay in one place until you are found again." Rei brightly chirped with all of her broodiness cast aside. "Although it isn't I who is lost, my father is the one who should be remaining stationary. We are doing things backwards!" She chuckled warmly.

Rei felt herself relax after Africa's words. A small close knit family was what she needed now. When she left Rei had stopped to tell her mother of her quest to find her father; it had been like speaking to empty space. No words had left the older mare's ebony lips. A slight nod was the only sign that she had given to show that she had after all heard her daughter. Before leaving to listlessly graze beside the stallion she had been betrothed to the mother and daughter shared one last tender moment with Leridana lovingly spreading the dark paint over Rei's spotted body. Before leaving Rei plucked one of the ebony colored feathers that she had inherited from her mother and left next to the treasured lightly speckled feather of her father's that the pair of them had kept. It was her promise to her mother that she and her father would someday return. She knew that her mother wished her well, but Rei pined for the warmth that she had lost. It was only something that could be regained by belonging in a family unit once more.

"Talents." Rei floundered internally trying to think of a talent she possessed. "I know that I must have some, but I am drawing a blank. I will get back to you on that one." In the back of her mind she still scrambled trying to bring to mind one of her talents. The spotted pegasus was largely concerned with making great first impressions and it bothered her that she hadn't been able to think of a single talent. "I cannot even think of a witty response to me being unable to think of anything." Brightly she smiled at Africa.

"But I do have an education. My grandfather could be a rather eccentric fellow and he insisted that I learn my writing well. He swore that I would be able to put the ability to good use. As a filly I used it to write the things that my parents promised to do in order to hold them to their word whenever they 'forgot'. My grandfather gained eternal amusement from those stand offs."

Africa gracefully lowered her head to the water's edge graciously sipping the water. Rei, feeling terribly thirsty, tripped over herself in her hurry to get a drink and thrust her head into the water too quickly making a splash. Attempting to regain composure she licked the remaining water droplets from her muzzle.

Laughing at her slip up she continued talking where she had left off."I hope to find my place in the herd quickly, anything that Dragon's Throat is in need of I am willing to fill the place of. Is there a leader or someone I would have to discuss such things with?"

Magic usage is okay.
Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
I am also okay with being tagged.

Deceased

100%

With a quiet curiousness, Africa watched her company respond to the idea of magic; the prospect that she too could one day wield something so powerful, so phenomenal. There had been a time long ago that her jaw had fallen loose in much the same surprise. She’d been a dreamer, dancing to the rhythm of make-believe, happy beneath the cloud of fantasies which she had more or less understood would never eventuate. Falling upon the Threshold had been something quite startling, inspiring, and Midas had not for one second suppressed her imagination (with his flaming companion, mysterious collar and earth-bending abilities).

Long black rimmed ears fell forward, attracted by the mention of foreign lands- and tales potentially hidden beneath the lively mask of the speckled, winged mare. Africa was a story-teller, and a lover of myth and fable. Although now spare time was something apparently as elusive as the Throat’s own rare Hippocamp, the Starry-Eyed still had that inner yearning to learn, to know; to understand. She liked Rei; she felt the lure of common-interest and appreciated her outstanding ambition. With any luck, Dragon’s Throat would remain the successor of all she could become.

They went on to speak of family; the Throat and Rei’s father, and the one-winged grey nodded her support in turn.

When Africa asked after the other’s schooling (or anything which might in some manner benefit her new home), Rei hesitated momentarily and the Sultana’s face tilted inquisitively. Large pastel yellow eyes watched beneath the flutter of long, black lashes. Willingness to serve or contribute really wasn’t a prerequisite to joining the herd; she hadn’t meant it that way. Many just lolled each day by the crystal blue lake, enjoying their piece of paradise and the protection given to them- and that was just fine. After a bright smile, Rei explained that which had been handed down from her grandfather- a skill which the one winged was most impressed by. The work of scribes was a wonder, unheard of mostly as she’d travelled the vast lands of Helovia; and certainly she had not been aware of any other holding such an ability.

Incredible...

Flaccid nostrils fluttered thoughtfully as the other mare collided with the cool water. "Sohalia and myself are equal Sultanas of Dragons Throat. I will speak with our sister before the next meeting to figure which role might best suit you. Perhaps one specific to your ability may be created." Water trickled from the curl of Africa’s speaking lips, and she smiled quickly as silence descended upon them; on the lake’s tranquillity both refreshing and calming. "In the mean time, why not explore our desert, the oasis. Meet and greet your family, and if you fancy, travel northeast of the Threshold from which we came and visit our friends in the Hidden Falls region."

image credits