the Rift

[OPEN] That's no hallucination

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

100%

The effects of shape-shifting- the pain, the disorientation, all diminished quite quickly. The delicate brush of a mimosa’s leaves against her salt-riddled, mottled hide and the lovely shade cast across to shelter her weary hot form were a great comfort; and she revelled in the lavish gifts of her home. Africa thought the oasis to be far prettier than the mist-strewn forest of the Edge, and still more fruitful than the grassy north, where the Falls lay hidden. It was a haven, disguised by the harshest of climates and most inhospitable of landscapes. She nibbled quietly at the brilliant yellow flower of a young aquis pipe plant; though the bloom held no trace of water (there had been no rain for nearly a whole month), Africa knew well that it held properties powerful enough to satisfy the pang of hunger- even being so tiny delicate. Careful teeth plucked the flower from the dark green plant and swallowed it.

"Home..." the speckled mare uttered, and Africa peered curiously behind to see the other glancing around the leafy thickets surrounding. ‘It has been some time since I have called anyplace that." The dappled Pegasus didn’t say anything, instead allowing Rei a moment to indulge her senses. Though the air was rich with the tang of coastal salt, there was a strong summer scent, grass and flowers and occasionally born to life by the rare breeze, the sweet flavour of the Throat’s water. Instead she smiled, turning again to the track winding beneath her clever tread.

"I came here looking for my father,” the spotted one continued after a moment. And without diverting her concentration, Africa nodded. Rei told her that she’d been searching for him, and queried whether her coming to Helovia to rest was a sin. "I don’t think so," the dappled cooed, pausing her stride to swivel and bump softly blowing nostrils towards the other reassuringly. "You can’t search for him very well if you’ve burnt yourself out, Rei." She smiled and chuckled calmly before adding with a playful snort, "...we will fatten you up and send you on your way soon enough." As Africa began again towards the lake, her company, her new friend, spoke of the relationship shared by her parents; the way they’d inspired her to fledge and begin along the road to maturity (or that what she perceived the story to mean).

Her own parents had been similar; Veroldkel and Emelda, back in Nyorm. Africa closed her eyes absently as she thought of them. Their bond had seemed so attractive, so powerful, and as a girl (even after parting from their nest), the Starry-Eyed had dreamed of something like it for herself. Helovia was cruel though, and many experiences had soured her ambition. Only in the last few weeks had she rediscovered that desire, and now for the first time in years, she felt the comfortable warmth of belonging.

Rei’s voice began to fade, and Africa’s pale gaze opened with a start; guilt flooding her ashen face. "A parrot... er..." Apparently they’d covered more ground than she’d expected- the bright, sunlit-blue surface of the water was winking playfully through the narrow copse of trees ahead. "I’m sorry, you spoke of your parents and what you said reminded me so much of my own family." It had been such a long time though... "The God of the Earth granted me magic to transform into a parrot. I cannot fly any other way." The explanation was warm, and thoughtful, and her eyes had again shifted to contact the black and white’s own. "One day I hope he might help me again, and give me the ability to understand and speak in Helovian tongue while I am transformed." A parrot was a parrot after all

As her company laughed, Africa chortled also. Curiously, as she settled, she asked, "What magic do you seek?"

As that conversation waned, the Starry-eyed led her on to the lakes edge. "What are the others in Dragon's Throat like?" Rei questioned lightly, though the grey had indeed noticed the sudden closeness of their two bodies; the whoosh of sleek feathers as wing brushed gently against wing. She didn’t flinch though, and almost as quickly the other mare had pulled away. "We are a diverse bunch, small in numbers still, but a close-knit family. I should expect you will feel most at home." It was a broad speculation, but she felt confident that she would be well received. Dragon’s Throat was a peaceful and secluded tribe- quite unlike the fiendish Unicorns of the Basin. "Have you any talents, or an education? If you are interested, you could take up a job, a rank." Of course she was only new, and Africa respected that. The one-winged dipped her nose to the surface of the water.

image credits
Table and Picture by Nicole <3

Messages In This Thread
That's no hallucination - by Africa - 06-20-2014, 06:23 AM
RE: That's no hallucination - by Africa - 06-23-2014, 08:50 PM
RE: That's no hallucination - by Africa - 07-06-2014, 05:22 AM