the Rift

[PRIVATE] Frost Flowers

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
RUSKE

Helovia’s northern lands knew nothing of summer. I had never ventured so far into those frigid reaches, but as my hooves bit at the hard ground, curiosity awoke from dormancy. Mountains crowned with ice glittered against the sky like distant teeth, threatening, though I hardly took notice of their ominous shadows. I had seen mountains of this like before, back in Isilme – had once fled to those when I was no longer welcome in my herd land. Helovia’s peaks, at least, remained untainted by the taste of bad memories. I had no intention of scaling them, anyway.

It was northeast I ventured, with the early morning sun bright and intrusive upon my eyes. For perhaps the first time, I appreciated the long, tangled cover of my forelock. It trapped out much of the light – enough, at least, to allow me relative comfort as I moved across the silent landscape. Nothing was quite so unwelcoming as the far north; though grasses grew up here and there in harsh stands, the land itself was quiet. Bleak. I could not imagine many fools making yearly use of the north. I had been wrong before, however, and deciding at last to break the silence of motion, I turned to blink at my traveling companion – often companion lately, brought in close proximity to myself by the circumstances of our relative use to the same herd. She did seem much more fond of plants than I, but reluctantly, I decided I should try at least to learn some of her knowledge – that I did not already have. I preferred the brilliance of viscera to the mundane task of gathering, but one cannot always be occupied by life’s extremity. And I supposed I might at least get to know the Moon Doctor, as she was my superior – and might perhaps become a friend. Phoenix knew I had few enough.

“Resplendence,” I called first to get her attention. Though neither of us appeared well built for winter months, I hoped she, like myself, found the cool air tolerable, heated as it was to some extent by summer’s vain attempts at reaching upward. “Do others live so far north?” I gestured briefly at a set of hoof prints, old and faded, as I crossed them. They might be vagabonds, but I wondered... I had met few enough of Helovia’s other herds. Did one dwell up here, so far north? I blinked at the landscape around us as we walked, however, mindful that our task was first to gather plants for the garden and second, or maybe third, to do anything else at all. “I have heard of a moss which grows in climates like this, and can be used in lessening afflictions of the lungs.” I paused a moment, supposing it might sound selfish, as I was the only member of the Edge, to my own knowledge, which had suffered such an affliction. “I thought perhaps we might find some and dry it, in the event anyone else reaches the Edge with an ailment similar to my own. I am not familiar with many northern plants... I may need a description in finding what else we need.” I paused then, tail switching lightly through the cold air, to blink at her and await the Doctor’s own opinion. As she carried the herb basket, and had been in Helovia longer, I was content to defer to her knowledge.

NursE
world's edge
Image Credit

[ @[Resplendence] He's talking about Caribou Moss. I figured the steppe sounded vaguely tundra enough to get away with it,though if not he could always just be wrong. Sorry if this reads a bit scattered; I had a really hard time focusing while I wrote it. ]

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
The travel was calming, the way that the pair moved along in near sync as like a soothing rhythm to the mare who needed some kind of routine to satiate her nerves. Golden orbs search the lands with careful intents - weary of the ice patches which may still be lurking despite the warmer temperatures that dared to attempt to shift the freezing of the Basin's surrounding home.

It was his shifting which caught her attention before her name was uttered. Though, his question caused her to shift a little, allowing her eyes to search for his gaze as she nodded. Then, in order to speak, she allowed her maw to drop the basket into the pile of fluffy snow. "Yes, the Basin lives here. They came not long ago to ask for an alliance. I am not certain whether or not we accepted it though - for they did attempt to invade us before the darkness." a gentle sigh escaped her maw, golden orbs flickering around in an attempt to see something - anything - that was green.

Alas, it was his words again which offered some guidance for her mind to begin to cling to. "I have not heard of it, but it sounds like a good place to start. To be honest, I know very few herbs that reside out here. So, most of this will be gathering that moss, and perhaps some… wormwood I believe it's called. If I can find it I will show you - it's been too long for me to feel comfortable explaining it without seeing it again…" She explained, picking back up the herb basket and sending Valiance forth to begin the search for any mossy substances.
Resplendence
i don't want you to leave, will you hold my hand
x - x
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Unregistered
RUSKE

I will admit: the longer I studied the bleak curve of the northern land, the more I felt appreciation burgeoning within my chest. It lacked the beauty of a forest or even a meadow, but the contrast between empty ground and pale sky was nearly pleasant. A cool wind rippled through the tangles of my mane, a pleasant change from the sweltering heat of Helovia’s heart, and even from the seaside region of our residence. As Resplendence spoke I enjoyed the view, scouring sparse grass and stunted tree for something of use. Meanwhile, I canted an ear back to hear the Moon Doctor’s words, their information necessary though perhaps irrelevant to the task at hand.

“An invasion?” The small bones in my neck cracked as I turned to face her. “Perhaps they have new leadership?” I wondered. Suspicion grew in my mind, however, and with a scowl I gazed at the peaceful landscape. “Is such a thing a common occurrence?” Idiocy – pure idiocy. I had run from my first home long ago in order to escape exactly that. Now that it crossed my mind, I supposed Kahlua’s goal of peace would be meaningless in a region where peace already flourished. But knew of few so far who seemed the type to march to war without a good reason.

With a gruff shake of my head, I wandered forward, slowly picking my way across barren soil and dry stalks of grass. Every now and then I paused to kick at rocks, or scrape the ground beneath the dead branches of a small tree. Resplendence acknowledged a similar ignorance of northern herbs to my own. I paused and glanced up long enough to acknowledge this. “Then maybe we ought to gather whatever we can and bring it back. The best course of action in the face of the unknown is to rip its secrets out one by one, hm?” Perhaps the joy of discovery perked up my attentions. With lowered head I crept around the soil, pawing here and there. “Wormwood,” I repeated as I looked. “What do you do with it?” Nearby, I spied a wash of color on a colony of rocks and bent down to scrutinize it with one eye. “Does this look like moss?” Meanwhile, my tail wrung knots in the air behind me, fervent – joyful, almost.

NursE
world's edge
Image Credit

As they walked, the mare allowed all the information she knew of to slip from her maw. Should he desire to know more, she would explain even more then. He offers a few more statements, some sounding incredulous and others seeming to be straight questions. So, the tiny mare allowed her orbs to look up and attempt to meet his for only a few moments. "Yes. I believe I was their desire to take over everything - and they used members of the Foothills, at the time, to try and force our hand. The new leadership portion I do not know, for I never really knew who was supposed to be their leader…" a pause, as she glances to the ground, moving forward and trying to find anything that looked of substance for them to try later. "A common occurrence? It was around that time. Not only did they invade us, but I believe they invaded the Throat as well during that time. And, not more than a year prior there was an invasion of my old home which had cast me out like meat for the wolves…"

All she could do was sigh and kick the snow around, attempting to find a plant she could stick in the basket she had deposited at her side. And, at the mention of her minuscule knowledge he says that the best course of action would be to gather whatever they could. "That we shall do," she murmurs in response before allowing her eyes to gaze over to where he is as he repeats her herb. "Yes. It helps with digestion and to induce sweating, as well as reducing irritation and mild pain - or at least that's what I was told it could do," she explained, moving closer to him as he looks even closer at something upon a colony of rocks.

Was it moss? A good question indeed. "Maybe? I'd say more than likely. We can gather it anyways and see just what comes of it," she explained before delicately placing the basket next to the colony of rocks and trying to scrape some of it off with her hoof in order to be able to place it in that basket. "Maybe we'll find more" she says, allowing a weak smile to grace her lips as she attempted to concentrate on scraping it away from its home.
Resplendence
i don't want you to leave, will you hold my hand
x - x
When I'm ready to fall
With love

Unregistered
RUSKE

I listened to her story without remarking on it. Perhaps I seemed cold, but no platitude had ever done true suffering justice – and a note of sorrow lingered in Resplendence’s history, to have been cast from her own herd... My ears twitched, betraying curiosity, as I wondered what for. She seemed far too gentle to have committed any crime. I struggled to imagine her harming anyone – even the most defenseless foal – and nearly chuckled. “Some fools will never be content with what they have.” I settled for vague wisdom on the nature of others, instead, omitting perhaps that I was often one of those fools, but my desires proved intangible – knowledge, rather than land. More useful, in all respects.

I scuffed half-heartedly at the snow as we walked, every now and then unearthing old grass, bent and withered by a lack of sunlight, before moving on. Calling such a place home might render any man a bit insane; it held a bleak charm, but far from the comforts of home. Perhaps what the Basin needed was a little warmth – a beach, or something of that like. Sun. Sand. It had done well enough for Paladin, in the past – except that he’d run around with his head shoved up the back end of his haunches, anyway. Why were unicorns so constantly daft creatures?

I found the mossy rocks then, and with the Moon Doctor’s agreement, did the best at scraping my cloven hooves could manage. The basket was a boon, at least. It meant we had no reason to carry the stuff in our mouths – and likely increased our carrying capacity at least... tenfold. Perhaps more. Lifting my damp hoof, I attempted to shake some into the basket, feeling at the same time both foolish and excited – keen to try the stuff, once we were back. I glanced to Resplendence again as she spoke, and noticed a weak smile upon her features – a pleasant expression, in all honesty. She ought to smile more. And speak more loudly.

I straightened up, tail twitching, and peered across the steppe. “Perhaps.” The darker of my eyes cocked at her more gently, I added, “Do you often do this alone? I think it would become a tedious chore, without company.” Or perhaps my company made it tedious, and that was the reason for her quiet demeanor. Perhaps she often gathered supplies with Alysanne, and they spent the whole time giggling. I couldn’t know. I stepped forward a pace or two anyway, better to hide the mulish expression quickly overtaking my features.

NursE
world's edge
Image Credit

[ Ugh. I'm sorry I am unable to get a good post out of him recently. ]

a silhouette and nothing more is all that's left behind

Upon hearing her story he offered a few words - simply settling on the fact that some would never be content. She supposed it to be true, and had tried to accept it a while back. But now, she just hoped it would all go well.

And, as they tried to scrape the moss off and into the basket. Once there seemed to be an ample enough amount the claybank mare began to shift her limbs and glance around the area of white where they stood - their hoof prints just barely visible as the gentle wind moved the snow around. However, his next words jar her from trying to pinpoint out any of the nearly two foot shrubs which could possibly be the wormwood she was searching for. "Generally no one wishes to accompany me out. I don't mind… so much as that I don't feel as safe alone," she murmurs, eyes held lower and not willing to meet his gaze as per usual with anyone who was in her company. There was a small moment where she allowed her mind to reach into why it was he could be asking that question and things slowly dawned upon her. "I apologize if I'm not the best company - I'm working on being stronger for Quil, for Nayati," a break in her voice, "I really am…" Her audit flicks up to stand at attention, eyes glimmering a little in sincerity as she manages to meet his gaze for about five seconds and then starts to scan the land again.

Valiance takes to the air, his eyes inspecting and sending her small images of the plants which he saw. And, when she finally landed upon the item Valiance circled back around and began to tug upon Ruske's hair to get him to move to the same place he had seen them. Resplendence already starting to move off and in the direction which he was pulling them towards. "I believe we've found some wormwood," she explains before trotting off as Valiance soars ahead, giving up on tugging Ruske's mane.

@[Ruske] - cause really late response |:

Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Coding by Schwartze | Image
When I'm ready to fall
With love