the Rift

[PRIVATE] Frost Flowers

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
RUSKE

I will admit: the longer I studied the bleak curve of the northern land, the more I felt appreciation burgeoning within my chest. It lacked the beauty of a forest or even a meadow, but the contrast between empty ground and pale sky was nearly pleasant. A cool wind rippled through the tangles of my mane, a pleasant change from the sweltering heat of Helovia’s heart, and even from the seaside region of our residence. As Resplendence spoke I enjoyed the view, scouring sparse grass and stunted tree for something of use. Meanwhile, I canted an ear back to hear the Moon Doctor’s words, their information necessary though perhaps irrelevant to the task at hand.

“An invasion?” The small bones in my neck cracked as I turned to face her. “Perhaps they have new leadership?” I wondered. Suspicion grew in my mind, however, and with a scowl I gazed at the peaceful landscape. “Is such a thing a common occurrence?” Idiocy – pure idiocy. I had run from my first home long ago in order to escape exactly that. Now that it crossed my mind, I supposed Kahlua’s goal of peace would be meaningless in a region where peace already flourished. But knew of few so far who seemed the type to march to war without a good reason.

With a gruff shake of my head, I wandered forward, slowly picking my way across barren soil and dry stalks of grass. Every now and then I paused to kick at rocks, or scrape the ground beneath the dead branches of a small tree. Resplendence acknowledged a similar ignorance of northern herbs to my own. I paused and glanced up long enough to acknowledge this. “Then maybe we ought to gather whatever we can and bring it back. The best course of action in the face of the unknown is to rip its secrets out one by one, hm?” Perhaps the joy of discovery perked up my attentions. With lowered head I crept around the soil, pawing here and there. “Wormwood,” I repeated as I looked. “What do you do with it?” Nearby, I spied a wash of color on a colony of rocks and bent down to scrutinize it with one eye. “Does this look like moss?” Meanwhile, my tail wrung knots in the air behind me, fervent – joyful, almost.

NursE
world's edge
Image Credit

Messages In This Thread
Frost Flowers - by Ruske - 06-20-2014, 04:56 PM
RE: Frost Flowers - by Resplendence - 06-22-2014, 01:13 AM
RE: Frost Flowers - by Ruske - 06-22-2014, 11:02 PM
RE: Frost Flowers - by Resplendence - 06-30-2014, 07:40 PM
RE: Frost Flowers - by Ruske - 07-01-2014, 07:20 PM
RE: Frost Flowers - by Resplendence - 07-13-2014, 01:44 AM