the Rift

[OPEN] Sing Sweetly in the Night

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

Having been scared half to death by the presence of Aurelia (who had promptly ignored her very public gasp of fright) near the lava mare, Kahlua continued down the rocky path that led to the various shrines. Although the scare had awoken her senses for a moment, the queen still felt very much broken. Every breath sent the jagged edges of her shattered glass heart driving deeper into the tender flesh of her lungs. Still, the queen felt that she deserved every painful jab, every slow and agonizing slice. Pain was her penance, her price to pay for the evil she had committed and though the queen was selfish and childish, weak even on her best days, she was willing to pay her due diligence.

Had she heard the fiery words of the lava mare, she might not have felt so bad. She might have considered that Aurelia had not even mourned for her snake, had been broken less than the Sunshower had been, but the queen had been lost in her own world. The yells of the lava harpy had gone in one ear and out the other, lost to the paint in the same way that yesterday is lost to time. So even if the queen had cried more tears for the loss of Shilva than Aurelia, she felt that every tear was merely a drop in an empty ocean that she needed to fill.

So the queen, devout in her religion, continued down the rocky path. She both wanted to keep going and turn back. She was not worthy of the gods in any way, shape or form and yet... How could she go on living without at least trying? There had to be some purpose, some reason for the terrible crime she had committed and if there was one, then the gods themselves would know. It was selfish of here to return here, she thought as she mounted the final steps to stand at the pedestals. There were so many others in need, so many other matters the gods had to attend to, and yet, as she extended her limb and lowered her nose to touch the ground beneath her, the queen knew that she needed this.

A depressed horse could not be a leader and the Edge... they needed a leader now more than ever. If Eva was right, if Kahlua was not meant to leave the Edge despite her evildoing, then she at least needed to know. So she waited, bowed before the Lady Moon's shrine- for who else could she go to besides her beloved patron? While she waited, the queen softly hummed a song- a hollow tune of sorrow and heartbreak, of trial and tribulation that she had not yet overcome. It was a song that had no lyrics, no origin or end, conducted by the remaining shreds of her mangled soul.

Kahlua
Here Comes The Sun
Schwartze @ Da

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

God of the Moon Posts: 236
Helovian Ancient
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.2hh :: Ageless
Admin

"Don't kneel-"

The disembodied voice was scolding and rather curt. It flatly refused to echo against the rocks, and so, the words sort of hung, before dissipating quickly. The air behind Kahlua shimmered, then turned dark - as if both saturation and exposure were being sucked out of the scene. Starlight seemed to twinkle faintly in the depths of the darkness, but in such a way as to make it impossible to focus on the points of light. It was an illusion - a mirage. Yet, from the impossible blackness, a lavender leg appeared, followed by a svelte chest. Pupil-less eyes appeared to float, before the dainty and impossibly beautiful muzzle and head followed through. The Goddess' mane stirred ever so gently on an invisible wind, as she elegantly stepped down from some unseen height, onto the stones.

"- you'll dirty your knees." She concluded, much more kindly now. Regally, the Goddess tilted her head, an expression of cold amusement at play on her dainty lips. "Queens do not kneel Kahlua. Not to stones anyway."

Inspecting the mare more earnestly now, she noted the wounds - both internal and external, and frowned the way one might after discovering a stain on a piece of silk. Tutting, the Goddess raised her wings, curling them inwards slightly. A gently breeze began to blow, but only until it reached the painted mare. There, it stopped, wrapping itself around her like a soft blanket. It combed her mane and forelock gently, before seemingly absorbing into her very core. There, it healed Kahlua's wounds, leaving her feeling refreshed and restored. Physically anyways.

Folding her wings back to her sides, the Goddess narrowed her gaze once again. "Now then. What's this all about? Is it about that little battle? Hmmm?" Her delicate ears perked forward, waiting for the Queens reply. She had seen the fight - as if she would let such a thing go unnoticed! Oh yes, she'd seen the snake. And what of it? Kahlua had won, and yet she stood here upset about something. Well. The Goddess wasn't too surprised. Kahlua was a terribly emotional thing, after all. Time would tell if that would be her downfall.

The hum of her ethereal song was interrupted, overlayed, by the blunt voice of the lavender goddess. Kahlua started, stiffened, knees scraping in the gravel in her surprise. She had hoped, dreamed, prayed that the Lady Moon might give her the priceless honor of a visit. However, she had not really dared to believe that the visit might actually occur. She was ecstatic, joyous in a way she had not been in weeks. For an instant, a fraction of a breath, she felt her fractured heart reform into something whole again, despite the curt tone of the Lady Moon. Even anger could not make her feel fright, in the presence of the godly mare.

Still, the queen rose, desperate to please the lady moon. Desperate to make her know that she was obedient, willing, capable of satisfying the demands of her patron. Around her, the air turned dark, black as a moonless night, but this time the queen did not feel nightmares creeping in to steal her away. Instead, it was a goddess sneaking into her vision, appearing like the Cheshire cat, in parts. “I kneel to you,” she responded, awed, blue eyes wide and glued to the goddess. She had always told her followers that the lady moon was to thank for all of the good gifts in their life. Their magic, their safety, their beautiful home... how could she say those things and not bow to the woman whom had provided them?

The wind that followed was an ease to her immeasurable burden. She was folded into the gusts, embraced by the tendrils of the moving air and cradled like a babe in the womb again. She felt safe... she felt home. And her heart, still daring to try to be whole... it tried to let the wind be its glue, to seal the cracks and fill its imperfections. No wind could make whole what destruction had been wrought upon the fragile creature, but it was a start, and it lightened the load that the paint had to carry.

But then- a new crack in the healing crystal. The battle. The goddess knew- of course she knew. The queen could no longer keep her gaze upon the lavender woman, having remembered she was not worthy to look upon her so. “I killed Shilva,” she insisted, eyes trying to water at the mention but long since exhausted her reserve of tears. “How can I face my herd, tell them peace is the answer, when I am no more than a murderess?” The words came slowly, each one almost forced, as she finally said the words she had not quite been able to say ever since it had happened. Would the Moon and Wind know the answer? “I tried so hard to honor you and everything you have done for me and the Edge. I fear I've failed,” she added after, a tear finally making its way to the corner of her eye. This was a new pain, a newly discovered realization. Was it true?

Kahlua
Here Comes The Sun
Schwartze @ Da

Helovian Ancient
Admin

Watching Kahlua was like watching a baby. So in awe of its surroundings, and yet completely unable to grasp the big picture. Young and naive, hopeful and easily broken. Well, the queen would need a far thicker skin in the days to come.

As Kahlua mentioned the snakes name, the Goddess sigh and - if she had pupils - you would have been able to see that she was also rolling her eyes. Aurelia she thought with annoyance. Such a pest. A pest with potential to be sure, but if she stayed as impulsive and reckless as she was now, she wouldn't live long enough to see that potential realized. Case in point, that stupid snake. The Goddess continued to listen as Kahlua spoke, remaining silent as she finished. She has forgotten just how emotionally fragile mortals could be. They really couldn't see the big picture. Another warm breeze ruffled Kahlua's mane, although this time it pressed firmly upwards beneath her jaw, to raise her head.

"Whoever said peace was the answer?" the delicate beauty began, with a gentle smirk of amusement.
"It certainly wasn't me. Do you know how it is, that the old herd of equines came to be in the Edge? How Mirage and her band prospered there?" Pausing with a dramatic flare while lowering her nose and grinning cunningly. "They took it. From the unicorns - Mauja and the rest. But they didn't take it alone - oh no. I helped them. I gave Mirage and her kin what they needed to defeat the unicorns, because a real queen does what's needed. Do you think that no one was injured, during those long, bloody days? That no one died? And you happily rule the Edge, thankful for the sacrifices of others, but are unwilling to make any of your own?"

Sighing emotionlessly, the Goddess once again tossed her dainty head. "It was one snake, bonded to a stupid girl. You would stand before me and tell me that you would not pay this price to keep Aurelia from ruling the Edge?" At the thought, the Goddess burst into a peal of silvery laughter. It was simply too comical. The thought of Aurelia...of Kaj having to acknowledge her as queen...Regaining her composure almost instantly, her delicate features were one again a cold mask. "You did what was needed. You did not ask for the challenge, nor for Aurelia to stupidly bring such a young companion into the fight. That was her mistake. If the snake's blood is upon anyone, it is upon her. "

Pausing again, the Goddess tried to appear ... gentler than normal. She wasn't entirely sure Kahlua would be receptive to her guidance. There was no right or wrong in this world, only winning. Winning meant being able to protect and keep what is yours. If Kahlua was going to shed a tear over one little snake, how would she ever handle war? Oh yes... The Goddess though, snarling internally. All of those pesky alliances... She would have to talk to Kahlua about that. But perhaps now was not the time.

"You have not failed Kahlua. You've won. You've removed a threat from my land, and used your own might to do it. You will only fail me should you forget where your priorities lay. And they lay with me, and the Edge.

The breeze that had been cradling her, coddling her, holding her, suddenly changed. It pressed up, forcing the queen to raise her gaze from the ground back to the goddess. It was strange for the queen to want to fight this wind that she knew came from the Edge's Lady Moon herself. However, whatever minor fight the queen tried to put up was easily overcome by the power that the goddess possessed. Her blue eyes returned to the lavender mare's form, widening as they heard what the goddess had said. Whoever said peace was the answer? ...How the answer be anything else?

As for the story of the Qian's takeover of the Edge, she had heard parts of it, but all from the point of view of Mauja, so she did not make motion to answer the question. Instead, she hung heavy on each word that her lady spoke, taking in everything with the eagerness of a child, leaning in intently as the Lady Moon lowered her head. For few moments, as the goddess spoke, Kahlua forgot her sorrows and was swept up into the tale of the Qian's takeover. And at the end, where Kahlua expected a grand finale, a vibrant finish, she found only heartache. The Lady Moon accused her of living off of the sacrifices of others. Her newly healed glass heart bled as it was stabbed and the Sunshower jerked her head backwards.

A sudden realization or immature pouting? Even the queen was not sure.

But the more she stood here, and the more the goddess spoke, the more Kahlua found that a weight was lifting from her heart. If the goddess herself did not blame Kahlua, nor wish to punish her, how could Kahlua blame herself? After all, in the grand scheme of things, her opinion was so much less important than that of the higher powers that ruled this land. For the first time since the challenge and attack, Kahlua allowed herself to smile, the corners of her lips just turning up. In this moment, she almost knew that everything was going to be ok.

“Thank you, my queen, for your guidance,” she responded, bowing her head again- how could she not? “My heart and soul are with you and the Edge always,” she added. It was a truth that she had known almost from the instant she had been welcomed into the land. The Edge had started as just a home, but it had grown to be so much more than that. She knew the forest like the back of her hoof, called the mists friend as they surrounded her in the night and counted the mists as family. Given a choice she would never leave, even if she did stray from time to time.

“I will not fail you, then,” she ended decidedly, the weight lifted from her previously burdended shoulders. And though she was not cured, and though the moment would still haunt her in her dreams, perhaps she could begin to move past what troubles had burdened her.

Kahlua
Here Comes The Sun
Schwartze @ Da

Helovian Ancient
Admin

As the conclusion of their conversation seemed to be upon them, the black rift from whence the Goddess came, suddenly appeared behind her. Light seemed to not simply be sucked into it, but blotted out. Only a brilliant star scape existed behind the lavender form. Although her mask of disinterest and distance was impeccable, the Goddess was nonetheless visibly surprised at Kahlua's reaction to her little soliloquy. Hadn't Mirage shared the details of her reign with those she trusted? Of which Kahlua was surely one? Interesting.... Did Mirage really think that she could take all the credit? Well. That was for another time.

Not unkindly, the Goddess sighed and nodded. The darkness behind her slowly began to consume her pale tale and thighs, covering her in a black starsheen. "Take comfort in this Kahlua-" She began, as stardust and galactic blackness began to eat away at her lithe form. "Should you ever disappoint me, you won't have to come looking for conformation. I will be the first to find you." In that regard, the Goddess was always reliable. She would never let a slight go unpunished, nor a leader go un-chastised for a decision she didn't like. If Kahlua were to fail her, the Goddess would be there immediately to point out her shortcomings.

Within seconds, the darkness had fully eradicated the Goddess' form, leaving only a dissipating blackness.

"Remember - " Returned her disembodied voice. "Queens do not kneel. Not to challenges. Not to death."