the Rift

[OPEN] bioluminescence

Asch Posts: 25
Deceased
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 8 Months
Brit

Asch

Where are you, Papa?

A soft sigh escaped the gold-laced cocoa beauty, staring into the distance as if willing it so would make her father appear on the horizon. She'd tired of the oppressive silence of the snow-clad Basin, the loneliness that accompanied it. Her twin had drifted from her as of late, obediently serving their mother, and Asch could not accept such a fate. She let her magic wash over her, sighing softly as it calmed her. Maybe she didn't know where it had come from, or why it was her that had been chosen...but even when she was not using it, it calmed her. Reminded her that she wasn't useless or weak in any way. That she was special, far more than her mother gave her credit for. And if Arwen wanted to spend her life growing up in Arah's shadow...Asch loved her twin more than life itself. She served her like a loyal hound, protecting her and helping her grow. But Asch couldn't live that kind of life. She yearned for her Papa, for Talbot, for the pair that had always made her feel important and loved.

The sun warmed the pale gold of her spine, locks curling under the humidity. It was a lonely life, she mused to herself. No companion to keep the other half of her soul occupied, and the matching puzzle piece of her heart...well, Asch could not keep Arwen from making her own decisions. It hurt more than any pain Asch had ever felt before, to leave her to her own devices, to tear the bond they had forged before they'd ever breathed their first lungful of air. But she could not live the life her mother and sister led any longer. She could not remain in the stifling snowy wasteland of the Basin.

The heat was agonizing for a child accustomed to frozen temperatures and tundra horizons. Blinking emerald-gilded gold eyes, she turned away from the purple plains and let white-gold hooves carry her away towards the water. The river washed away the commotion in her head, soothing her. It was a cold embrace that met her heated limbs as she walked in, taking all the time in the world. What else was awaiting her after all? She waded in, plume a shimmering cloud of gold and umber atop the water. Gazing out over the mirage of the heat on the water, she remained where she was, wondering when the time would come when she would find what her purpose was in life. Was it destined to ever be anything but her twin's protector?

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
amaris
Across the Meadow, another young belle wandered, separated from her twin, her mother, her father. Across the Meadow, this girl, still a child in experiences and mind, frolicked and danced, seemingly carefree in her solitude, though really she was merely avoiding thinking about that which had the potential to cause her upset. The girl had not returned to the World's Edge, not yet. For whatever reason, she felt ill prepared for it, ill-equipped to handle returning to a land where her mother clearly still did not reside. For if she did, surely I would know, wouldn't I? Her own thoughts questioned her, her own mind doubting the decision to avoid the lands until such a thing as her mother called her to them. The belle was split in her decision, for while she knew her mother did not reside there, she did know where another relative lived. Not just lived, but worked and flourished beneath the warm watch of the Sun God, one whom the girl held a wary respect for, for his power and temper were renowned. Tandavi seemed to enjoy her life though, from what she could gleam - the belle yearned to follow her, to know more about her, to earn her forgiveness.. But Amaris knew not where to even begin.

Scales of gold reflected much of the sunlight that beared down upon her, though the girl still kept her wings expanded as she wandered the Meadow, the veins of blood full and raised so as to encourage her bodice to keep cool in the oppressive TallSun weather. By her side, as always, there glowed a duo of spirits, their shapes draconic and playful in nature, their light hints at the very real fire their ethereal bodies could produce. Amaris pleaded with them to keep it in their maws, though a flame still sparked from the pointed snout of one or the other as they squabbled noisily in the sky above. Just keep it away from the grass, the girl commanded, rather more harshly than she intended. Though she herself was mostly fire-proof, the belle did not want to be responsible for the danger a fire in this season could lead to - death, destruction, an entire land turned to nothing but an ashy wasteland. Amaris knew of the stories of the extended TallSun her mother and father experienced in their first turn of year within Helovia, though she was too young to see the scars, the reminders of such a time on the land, she could imagine with ease, the destruction fire had wrought.

A splash caught her attention, her ears turning atop her gilded crown, her step pausing to consider that which had otherwise slipped her notice, too deep in thought she had been. Nostrils flared, and she smelt the wet, cleanliness that hinted at water nearby. As she heard the trickle of liquid over rocks, a thirst suddenly clawed at her, and she could not help but listen to the call her body made to seek the source out. Picking up a trot, the belle rounded a bend in hill and tree, and found the stream to be occupied already by one painted with earthly and crème tones. Amaris paused in her step once more, watching the youth's actions with kind amusement - it seemed she was not the only one craving a drink and perhaps a dunk in the river. The dragon-mare smiled a small smile, lowering her tiara down as she approached the water's edge, lips lapping at the fluid which would satiate the burning in her throat. A few swallows wet her tongue and mouth, and the girl longed to linger with her lips pressed to the surface for longer, but did not want to seem impolite to the stranger before her any longer.

"Hello," she said softly, as she lifted her sculpted tiara from the level of the water and took a tentative step forward, so that her hoof dipped into the water. "I'm Amaris," she added, her tones gentle and friendly, her eyes speaking nothing but kindness and polite curiosity. Around her, green and brown spirits floated, their usual cacophony silenced for the moment as they too, considered the new creature before them. "Is the water nice?" she asked quietly, almost shyly, hoping to earn herself an invite into the stream so that she too could temporarily escape the TallSun heat.

@[Asch]
Brush Credit
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Deceased
Brit

Asch

Soft gurgling was all that filled her aurals, no matter how she desired to hear her father's voice filling them instead. There was nothing else to carry her on, nobody else she could turn to. Solitary, she wondered if any of her family even noticed her absence. Bitterly she realized that only her twin would likely realize she was gone, if only because Asch was not there to protect her or to do her bidding. The footstool, the stepping stone, the snarling attack dog at her twin's flank glaring down any opposition and stepping in the path of any danger aimed towards her paler counterpart. Finally she'd had enough, and it had led her there, to the cool currents caressing cocoa skin. Where was her father? Talbot? They were the only ones she had faith left in, simultaneously fearing her Papa would end up just as bad as her mother and hoping he would still love her after all she'd been through and all the time they'd spent apart.

A daddy's girl to the core.

But she was a soul with no real path, lost on the tides after abandoning her life preserver in favor of freedom from her sister's side. Except, serving her twin was all she knew how to do, and so she was helpless and laden with fear for a future she couldn't see clearly. But whatever thoughts that suck her deep into musing at her own reflection, distorted by the current, are shattered by the sudden vocals of a newcomer. With the stale summer air, Asch had not been able to realize the other lass was approaching, and with an awkward jolt slowed by the tug of the water she shuffled as quickly as she could to face the other femme. Only for fear to clench in her heart and the scars upon her back to flame up, eyes wide and terrified as she scrabbled hard at the slick rocks beneath her hooves to get as far away from the winged lass as possible, even if it meant drowning.

DRAGON.

Mind shutters, falling back to Tyradon and his companion, to the memory of shoving her sister away and the scream that tore her own throat as dragon fire ripped apart the skin of her back and left her nearly delusional with pain. And around the draconic maiden were even more spirits of the companion that had scarred her mind more than it ever could have her body.

But the mare's words are gentle, and though they register in the youngling, Asch cannot form the words required to answer her as she stands tense and terrified in the water. There is nobody to comfort her, to tell her that it's okay, and it is her own willpower that has to kick in and save her from the fear eating at her mind like a fanged, starving beast. There is nobody else who will keep her safe, after all. Swallowing thickly, she managed a wary few steps forward before clearing her throat to answer, never once taking her eyes away from the other fae.

"It's...very nice. Cool." Her words are stilted as her eyes shift between Amaris, as the lady had introduced herself as, the and the spirits peering curiously at her. "Sorry," she whispered, voice a little ashamed. "I...I was attacked by a dragon when I was younger. I didn't mean to be rude." Even as her words grow stronger her crown is drooping in thickening shame and self-hatred. It was clear the draconic hybrid was shy, by the lilt of her lyrics, and she felt terrible to have reacted so violently when the young woman was only seeking friendship and perhaps a dip in the river.

"My name is Asch. Would you like to join me?" Oddly shy, she lifted her gaze tentatively to the golden girl, hoping to make amends with the offer and not scare her away or make her hate the chocolate child standing stupidly in the water.

Plot with me here!

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
amaris
It was not the first time one had reacted with fear at her appearance. Though most kept their reactions subtle, the girl felt each one like a slap in the face. A sideways glance, a hidden sneer, a softly uttered comment; she noticed them all, and did her best to simply continue on with her life. Though she was raised in a realm where the strange were accepted, she was apparently a special kind of strange. It wasn't restricted only to her, but her father and sister as well - her mother, who was able to shift between complete forms of equine and dragon, only seemed to bring reverence in both her forms, rather than the cruel wonder and ridicule of being a mixed breed, a hybrid of souls, with both kinds of blood splashed upon her hide at every moment of the day and night, and every minute in between.

The fear that shook this filly was something that caused the dragon-girl to bow her head apologetically, sorry for her appearance, unavoidable as it was. A change seems to come over the chocolate maiden, then, but whether its from logical thought or the fact that she would have been carried off by the river, Amaris would never know for sure. The belle takes some steps closer, and the golden one's ears prick forward with interest once more. The crème-maned belle answers her query then, and the smile, small but hopeful, returns to Amaris' maw. The green and brown spirits that had settled into silence soon started chittering and chattering again, chasing each other across the field instead of focussing upon the interaction of the fillies. Their good moods and fun-filled souls filled Amaris' own with a light-hearted view on life, her own gentle nature and hopeful smile growing more confident as the other murmured her own apology, and explained the reason behind her nerves.

A small frown creased her brow as she considered the belle's words - it was uncommon for a dragon to attack another, unless with good reason or heavily influenced by another soul, like one's bonded companion. But the frown disappeared swiftly enough as the girl invited her into the water, and without hesitating Amaris nodded, and stepped her lithe limbs into the flowing liquid. "Yes, thank you." It was nice, pleasant, it did everything she had hoped it would, taking away the heat from her body (which always seemed to run hotter than normal equines anyway) and letting her cool down in this TallSun heat. When the water lapped at the underside of her belly, she stopped, and made to converse further with the other girl, this Asch.

"I'm sorry you were attacked," she began, genuinely apologetic for the actions of another. "No dragon attacks without good reason, unless they are influenced by the illogical actions of their bonded." She spoke with sadness, that such a beautiful creature could be influenced to cause such unwarranted destruction brought her grief that she felt right on her heartstrings. Her golden gaze glanced over the curious spirits who frolicked at the water's edge, their forms touching the water without disturbing it, the light of their spirits filling the stream with a strange glow. "Mostly any dragon would rather dance and sing with you then turn their flame against you." Her small smile returned as she gazed back to the filly, her eyes conveying the mixture of sadness for another's actions but also hope that she could impress the truth upon this filly in their golden depths.

"My home was invaded by a band of unicorns once," she said softly, sadness thick in her tone once more. "But unicorns also fought to defend it, and so I remember that my home was invaded by a band of creatures only wanting to inflict pain upon others, rather than the horns they bore upon their brows." The dragon-girl knew of racism, she faced it everyday, whether she knew it or not. But, being as strange as she was, it would have been hypocritical for her to hold such things against an entire race - nay, it was best to simply guard oneself against everyone until the other proved themselves worthy of seeing the golden heart that laid within her breast.
Brush Credit
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Deceased
Brit
Asch;

Apologetic bow of beautiful tiara only drove the knife of shame deeper into Asch's breast, hating the remnants of her own fear and what it had done to the lovely youth standing opposite her on the bank. Perhaps she makes amends, with her tentative re-approach to the damsel, as golden ears lifted in interest once more. Asch was not one to feel regret in any significant amounts, likely because she had never had any friends or acquaintances to disappoint in the past. However this time, her own crown dropped heavily to silently tell the draconic beauty, through body language alone, that she was ashamed and apologetic for her actions. Thoughtless and instinctive though they had been. Amaris still did not deserve such a reaction to being who she was, and from what Asch knew of the cruelty of others, she had likely seen such a reaction before.

Her invitation, choppy though it had been, was elegantly taken as Amaris dipped her hooves into the water and came closer. With fear no longer pounding in her heart and heating her veins with panic, Asch managed a nervous smile as she gazed upon the older girl. Without the horror, she could easily find peace in the clear differences painted on the hybrid's frame, could quite plainly call her beautiful and intricate in her own exotic way. Only further reason for shame, considering the massive differences Asch found the more she looked.

Sorrowful tone was foreign to the golden girl, and she let her gaze flit away like a tentative butterfly for a few moments. "It was not your fault, though I appreciate the sentiment," she murmured, vocabulary naturally intrinsic with Arah's sophisticated, scholarly mannerisms. Together, seeing Amaris turn to gaze at her companions, Asch mused over what she was sharing with her. Attempting to overcome that which had kept her chained to her memories of pain and terror. They certainly seemed harmless, frolicking about like happy fairies. Her gaze caught, Asch couldn't find it in her to be disrespectful enough to turn away once more, meeting similarly painted shades with her own.

"I have no doubt that the dragon's actions were caused by the desires of its bonded...it was merely instinctive fear, I never wished to insult you. You are quite beautiful," she offered, smile tremulous but far more sure of itself than previous attempts. The lass went on to speak of older times, and Asch felt it her just desserts to feel the tinge of shame at the horns curled round her brow, for she had inspired a host of surely negative emotions in Amaris with her thoughtless shrieking. Humming softly to cover the clearing of her throat in a more feminine manner, feeling as if she could not truly be herself in the presence of someone so mannered and elegant, Asch sought another topic that would not upset Amaris a second time. She'd done enough damage in the few moments she'd known the young dragon girl.

"Where are you from? I'm from the Aurora Basin, but I came here seeking an escape from my twin sister Arwen. She is my curse, my job, and therefore my only friend. I was hoping to meet someone else, and I'm glad I did," she whispered, suddenly shy despite the normally reclusive nature of her personality, hoping beyond hope that maybe Amaris could be that friend she so sought.

I am my own worst enemy
larfsalot @deviantart | sxc.hu
Plot with me here!