Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

It was the strangest feeling, to duck in beneath the dense canopy and allow the cool, moist shadows to close around them once more. He felt like coming home, as if breathing was just a little bit easier here in the misty forest. But at the same time he couldn't shake the leaden weight from the gut, the crawl along the spine that suggested that maybe this place hadn't truly been home for a long time. When, after all, had he ever been truly free and happy while walking the mingling paths?

The Silverthorn was coming home after seasons on the run, but it was with his tail tucked between the legs and head held low, like a mongrel crawling along the ground as it approached its master. Prepared for a beating, for harsh words and stern glares, and then he could tell himself however much he liked that none of the horses residing in this moon-blessed land were unfair enough to actually blame him for leaving. Not when so many others had run for their lives as well, scattered to the four winds by the deadly plague that had swept across the lands.

His own guilt for abandoning his family was blame and punishment enough.

It was with some trepidation that the grullo stopped just beyond the borders and called out, his voice carrying the news of his return on hesitant cords that bounced between the trees, sure to attract the attention of whoever wished to listen. Would anyone remember him still? Tides turned quickly in Helovia, he wasn't even sure himself who half of the members of his herd had been when he ruled so long ago (it was barely a year but oh, how much longer it seemed to him). Not for the first time he shook his head at how ill suited he had been for the crown - surely the herd was better off without him.

CREDITS: Schwartze | venomxbaby | 116802
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Brisa Posts: 386
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 15.4 :: 7 HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Hikari :: Common Kitsune :: Fire nickel

Standing with her front hooves at the edge of the cliff the grey mare watched the assault upon rocks below her mind lost to the wind. The churning of the water was in a way mesmerizing to watch for you could never keep track of anything that lay within. The power of the water could easily sweep away anything that happened to fall beyond the surface leaving it lost for all of eternity. Her thoughts felt as jumbled as the whirlpool vortexes, she was unsure where one started and another ended. Gazing over her shoulder to the two bodies that lay curled by one of the large oaks, she sighed softly wishing that things could have been different. While she would never regret giving life to her twins, she would always regret falling for someone when she should have known better in the first place. The pain would never fade away completely at being used and abandoned but she could only hope that the future might change her outlook on it all.

Watching her boys sleep peacefully helped to soothe her worries about things but she could not push away the feeling that she had somehow failed the two of them. They were being forced to grow up without a father in their life to teach them how to be a gentleman and all the other things that she just couldn't teach them. She was trying her best but she feared that it would never amount to what they needed in these early years. Turning her head back to the sea she allowed the breeze to wash away her thoughts and just try and forget for awhile. A call sounded across the wind causing her to turn her head in the direction of the sound. Why did the voice sound so familiar? Reluctantly she took a step back from the edge before wandering towards the border where the stranger awaited.

Confident that her colts would not wander far should they awake and not find her there with them she was able to focus on the strange familiarity of whoever had called out. Emerging onto the scene the lone stallion stood patiently to await anyone who might show up to answer his call. At first he appeared to be a stranger but as she got closer things clicked into place. "Lace?" It had been numerous months since she had seen or heard from him. What had happened to cause his lengthy absence? Their former leader had always seemed like a dedicated ruler in her eyes, his disappearance had been a shock for many including herself. Surely something had to have happened to draw him away...right?

Brisa talks
Aeolus talks
Levex talks

•• TAGS: @[Lace] •• NOTES: Not my best, will get better ••

Table and Image by Moonstone Designs
[Image: brisa_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobm.png]
-- Please Tag Me In Posts --
-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --
Icon base: Bronzehalo

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
The queen wandered the lands, replaying her conversation with the Lady Moon in her head over and over again. It was ok. The snake's death was not her fault, it was Aurelia's fault. Aurelia challenged Kahlua. Aurelia never should have brought the young snake into the fray. Aurelia should have known to stop and seek medical attention for her companion instead of continuing her childish fight for leadership. Aurelia, Aurelia, Aurelia. It was her fault, not Kahlua's. The queen just had to keep telling herself that, because the more she said it the more it became the truth, the more she could believe it, the more she could live with herself instead of call herself murderess and sneak into the shadows. Yes... what she had done had been unforgivable, but it had not been her fault. And, when she began to think of what punishments she deserved, she thought of Evangeline. Queens do not lie with dogs.

But she was distracted from her thoughts when a call came from her borders, filling the forest. A sound.... no. She shook her head in disbelief. It wasn't. There was no way. And yet... The queen's curiosity overtook her and she headed towards the border. She arrived just moments after Brisa, the stallion's name falling from the nurse's lips, the name that Kahlua had not dared to think while she had traveled to this place. Lace. She stopped short, just looking at him. He had been her teacher, then her friend, then her king. As she looked at him now, she was a wreck of emotions and she did not know how to sort any of them out.

She was glad- elated, exuberant, enamored- at his return. He had been kind to her, taught her, guided her in her pursuits of crafting. She had enjoyed his company, had gladly called him king when he had risen to the throne and yet... King was not his title now. It belonged to Kaj. Was he here to try to reclaim it? But worse (because she had faith in Kaj's abilities as a warrior), was Mirage back? The dragon queen was... Kahlua shook her head, instantly seeing her demise in the mists that surrounded them all. But Kahlua looked around and she saw no hint of the shadowy mare, none of the darkness that used to follow her like magic, no golden scales glinting in the sunlight. It was only Lace, and so her fears subsided somewhat and she began to smile.

“My friend, we've missed you,” she cooed to him as she closed what distance remained, extending her nose to him, attempting to press it against his neck, to welcome him home without anger at his disappearance. The queen did not mind. Destrier had just returned as well and he had already integrated back into life in the herd. Stepping back, nodding to Brisa in greeting, Kahlua returned her blue gaze to the stallion and willed the wind to blow, to swirl about them, to let Lace know that the Lady Moon still loved him and would welcome him into the herd again. “How are you? What has kept you from us?” And then, softer, because the question still hinted in the back of her mind... “Have you seen Mirage?”
Image Credit

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

This short, quiet wait by the border was perhaps the painfully longest moment he had ever experienced. As moments dragged by the stallion felt his heart beat rapidly against the ribs, his guts crawling as though the grass he'd eaten for breakfast had turned into living snakes. He took a deep breath to steady himself, then another one; was it the excess of oxygen that made him slightly woozy or was it just the nausea of violent nerves that did it?

It couldn't have been more than a few minutes since his call rang out into the forest, but when a pale figure slowly emerged from the mists and took the shape of a familiar mare the grullo let out an explosive breath in relief that suggested he must have held his breath at the very end of the wait. He watched her approach with some caution, wonder gradually turning into recognition upon her face; when she breathed his name he could have kissed her in relief, though was able to restrain himself and simply arch the neck in confirmation. A stupid smile spread over the masked face, happy and exalted as amber eyes roamed hastily over pristine hide, looking for injuries or signs of starvation but finding only rounded shapes, supple muscles and a new maturity surrounding her that Lace couldn't remember seeing before.

No sooner had the white dove arrived than another familiar face appeared, and Lace could have burst out singing. "Brisa, Kahlua" he breathed and stepped forward to lean into the paint's touch, silver neck arching to reach for the gray as well. "Gods be thanked, I really am back, aren't I..." For a moment the stallion closed his eyes and just stood there, savoring the presence of his friends. How long had it been since he'd been home? It had been fall the last time he walked these woods, listened to these voices, breathed in the musk of earth and skin and the sulfuric tang in the air that revealed the presence of dragons. Half a year had passed since he rose to power through the grace of the DragonHeart, half a year since he so abruptly fell from the throne and exiled himself from those he cared for. And still he was greeted with smiles and words of welcome, as if he had never endangered the herd with his own selfish actions or left its members to fend for themselves.

The spirit of the Qian truly lived on still.... Mirage would have been proud to see it.

He could have remained like that for an eternity, but there were questions asked and an exuberant dragon to consider. The gold-backed stallion grimaced as Fajira suddenly dived down from her high vantage point in the sky and landed, talons sharp and none too careful upon his back. A jubilant screech announced her presence to anyone who might have missed it, and like a scaly house cat she pranced and mewled along his spine, attempting to leap over onto first Kahlua's back and then Brisa's, should they allow her to do so.

"I missed you too, all of you, and more than I dare say" the aging stallion said with a wistful smile as he looked between the mares, heart aching and soul black with guilt. "I'm well, though for a time I feared the worst. The plague got to me, I had to leave so as not to endanger anyone else. It seems I have some natural resistance within me however, for the effects gradually disappeared - the last symptoms were healed not long ago." And glad was he to be rid of it. The only thing that burned his blood now was the constant pulse of magical fire, and that was a burden he could get used to carrying. Better that than the black madness that infected body and soul, causing such taint to the mind that his memories of two seasons worth of time was all but gone. Good riddance too - Lace didn't want to remember what he might have done to himself or others during the long winter.

"What about you, and the Qian; how did you fare over the winter? I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you all, it was torture not to know anything and having to stay away..." The guilt he felt reflected within the honey-colored eyes as he looked between Brisa and his former apprentice, a deeply rooted pain come from the knowing that he had failed in his duties - for surely kings couldn't be allowed to succumb to the same sickness as mortal men, and even if they did they had to endure it, for the sake of the herd.

The shadow over his features deepened as the name of his queen was brought up, another pang of shame pulsating through him. Ever so carefully Lace inched away from the others, as though the comforts of physical touch wasn't really permitted to him.

"I don't know" he whispered, the pain of his loss as plain to see as the scars littering his skin. "When the darkness fell over the forest... I tried to find her, and Rishima and the twins. But they weren't here, and I'm fairly sure I was the last one to leave before..." He looked away, swallowing at the memory of the crawling, whispering darkness that had chased him out with crimson eyes and blood-thirst.

"I saw Tandavi and Amaris when I came through the Threshold though, so at least they are safe." Lace forced himself to remain somewhat calm, though there was visible effort behind the movements as he raised the head again to meet the eyes of the woodland residents.

@[Brisa]

The Store | The Warden

The shock of seeing the highly decorated stallion again left her at a loss for words for a couple moments before another appeared upon the scene to greet Lace home. From the corner of her eye she caught the familiar blur of black and white as her lovable friend and queen came to properly welcome their friend home. She had likely looked more like a deer stuck in headlights than a welcoming sight to be seen. Lace and herself were never really close friends before the darkness had come upon them and she had often wondered if he thought of her as a friend or more of an annoyance. Regardless those times were behind them all now and preferably they would stay there. She for one had lived through enough of the horror story for one lifetime to have the wraiths return again.

Snapping herself out of her shocked stance a friendly smile lifted her expression into a more joyous one to suit the occasion. Wickering her greeting aloud she carried herself forward to be by their former king's side. Mimicking Kahlua's actions she too extended her muzzle towards Lace to touch his neck as she listened him speak. Fajira twisted and turned happily over the stallion's back seeming equally as happy to see them as her bonded making her chuckle before she turned to greet her as well. There had been a time she had not really liked the scaly creatures otherwise known as dragons but they had really begun to grow on her. Turning her back ever so slightly to allow the dragon to perch upon her back if she wished to.

The pain behind the Silverthorn's words was unmistakable and it pained her to hear it so evident as he told of his encounters since he had disappeared. She could only imagine the horror of coming down with the terrible plague, she did not even want to think about it. Maybe it was the mother coming out in her at last or just sympathy for everything he had been though but she wished that she could somehow help him make it all go away. "We are all just glad that you are alright! You had us all worried." Looking over to Kahlua she smiled so glad to see her best friend smiling once again especially after everything that had happened over the last couple months.

The talk of Mirage was a little beyond her but she listened anyway trying to piece together Lace's story as she went along. Mirage had always been around but she had never gotten the chance to know much about their former queen before the dreaded darkness had swallowed the land. It was a huge relief that neither of her colts were alive back then to have to experience such horrible things. Hopefully none of them would ever have to again for that matter!

Brisa talks
Aeolus talks
Levex talks

•• TAGS: @[Kahlua] •• NOTES: -- ••

-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --

Pressing against Lace, in some ways, felt like coming home. He had been one of the first to greet her in the herd and every memory of her herd, as a whole, had Lace as a part of them. Even in the times when he had left them, wandered away, questioned whether he belonged in the Edge or elsewhere, Kahlua had understood. She so often felt like a caged bird, trapped, and she too needed freedom. She had never blamed the handsome grullo for his disappearances. Yes, the Edge was characterized as much by Lace as it had been by Mirage.

The exuberant cry from Lace's familiar white companion drew the queen from her thoughts. For a moment, in her surprise, Kahlua winced away from the dragon's approach, memories of her murder of Aurelia's snake still too fresh in her mind to be entirely comfortable. But the withdrawal was quick and brief, and she welcomed the dragon's presence on her back in the end. Still, her look was sad as she turned to watch the joyous creature jump from her back to Brisa's. But she shook the thought away, trying again to remember what Eva and the Moon Goddess had told her. It was just hard sometimes.

But the conversation picked up again, and Kahlua giving a knowing frown to her friend as he retold his story. So he had turned too. “You were stronger than I was, to be able to leave. I attacked poor Luken, and many others... Lena from the Basin saved me. Thank the gods for her song.” And she stopped speaking for a moment to hum the melody that Lena had sang for her, a song that she remembered so well, that had saved her from the pure evil that had invaded her body. She had been nothing more than a beast in those hours and days, a wretched creature not deserving of life. She was as lucky as Lace that their herd was forgiving. Kahlua had endangered them all.

But then it was Lace's turn to remember something he did not want to, a plaque that blackened his heart. Kahlua was sorry to have brought it up at all, since it caused him to inch away, but she had to know. It sickened the queen that she was almost happy to know he knew nothing of Mirage, but she was a jealous creature and she had worked so hard... Still, as much as the Moon Goddess had offered her favor at the Veins, Kahlua was certain that the violet deity loved Mirage more. As for the twins... she felt no ill will towards them. A smile brightened her face again.

“Amaris just returned as well!” She did not know Tandavi, so she could not comment on the child. “Oh Lace... everything has been different, but it seems like things are finally returning to normal. It will be so much better now that you're back. You are staying with us, right?” And though she phrased it as a question, the queen felt that she knew the answer. After all, where else would he go? He belonged here... at least, that is what her heart told her. She turned kindly to Brisa, adding on, “You'll have to meet Brisa's twins with me, I'm afraid I've yet to greet them properly.” She wasn't much for children, but a friend was a friend and she did feel terrible that she hadn't yet made it to see them. Hopefully Brisa would understand.
Image Credit

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

The pained expression on the exiled king's face softened into a smile as the kind women spoke their words of forgiveness. He kept smiling as Kahlua told of her own plight, compassion and awareness mirrored in golden eyes - he knew what she was talking about, felt it with the same certainty as the dragon's awareness of fur-coated backs beneath her gentle claws as she pawed across them, affectionate in her careful tread. He even smiled as she uttered words; no a question ever so hopefully asked, that broke his heart, knowing what his answer would have to be.

For one long, breathless moment he was tempted to accept. It would be so comfortable, so easy to simply say yes and return to the mist-veiled shadows he had called home for so long. Had he ever stayed in one place for as long as he had lived at the World's Edge? Had he ever come to care for, respect, even love any horses as he had the family called Qian? He had only respect to offer the Moon that blessed the lands, who for so long had blessed him with her own powers until he threw them away of his own volition. It perhaps wasn't too presumptuous of him to believe he might be welcome back, that he might even belong here.

But... for some reason, it just didn't feel right.

"Kahlua, I..." he tried, but had to stop to swallow a lump in the throat, lost for words. What did you say when your friend asked you to stay and your head screamed 'yes!' while the voice inside your heart whispered a quiet 'no'? "I don't know" he managed to press forth, voice sounding choked and filled with so many emotion it was nigh impossible to separate them. "I want to, and at the same time... Without Mirage here, and after all that has happened... Can you say for sure that I wouldn't cause enmity and rifts in the herd? I did rule here you know, if only for a short time, and I don't know how to stop carrying that responsibility. Yet for the sake of the herd there can only be one king, only one queen..."

Lace looked between the pale mares, the dragon and the forest as he tried to explain feelings he hadn't really put in words before. On one hand he wished to go back beneath that dense canopy and become one in the crowd, follow the leaders and live life as quietly and easily as possible. On the other, he had truly enjoyed being the one to call the shots for once, to make decisions and give orders and feel the elation of seeing them followed by his kin. It hadn't been easy, it hadn't even been fun most of the time... but it had suited him, and the grullo had a strong feeling that if he went back to this place, he would one day find himself craving the crown more than he wished for the safety of the family.

"I think I need some time to really think this over" he sighed. "Do you think I could be allowed to linger for a while? Maybe speaking with the others, visiting the other herds, being unbound for a while can help me find whatever it is that I'm looking for." He looked questioningly between the girls, smiling at Brisa - he would indeed love to meet her children, if she would have him near them, and he had to find Kaj and talk to him, and Destrier and... He drew a quivering breath, terrified of being denied... and unable to blame them if they did.

@[Brisa]
The Store | The Warden

As the conversation developed between the trio to discuss things that the grey could only faintly understand she was beginning to feel more and more as if Kahlua and Lace might be better without her presence. Much of the herds politics had not been of significance to her back then but it was times like this that she wished she had paid more attention. Then again there was no way for everyone to know everything so her lacking could be seen as normal perhaps? Gahh who was she kidding, normal just wasn't her and she quite liked being the clueless airhead on the odd occasion.

As the tone moved to that of a happier note she was relieved to finally be able to potentially contribute something again to the conversation. It had never really occurred to her that the stallion standing next to her would chose to call anywhere but the Edge home. It had always been the norm for her to see him around and know that he was a part of their extended family. Seeing him with another band just seemed wrong to her in a way, it was just too much of a change that she was unwilling to believe. The tiny parts that resembled their happiness only a few months before seemed to be disappearing before her eyes and she was reluctant to let them go and scared to admit to it. While Lace's answer was reasonable enough she fought back the urge to argue the point and make him stay. Change was hard to accept but she had no place to question his motives for wanting to remain unbound.

"I can't speak for everyone else but things will be strange without you here." She commented gently with a soft smile. Looking over to Kahlua as she once again spoke she felt colour rise in her cheeks at the mention of her and her twins. While she wasn't embarrassed by her babies she still felt the foreign nature of being referred to as a mother catch her off guard. The situation leading up to their surprise arrival was nothing short of embarrassment and betrayal on her behalf but only a few select individuals knew the story of what had happened. Leaving those thoughts locked away she turned back to Kahlua. "You have been busy with everything else there is no worries with not having met them yet. Both of you can come visit them anytime you have a spare minute." Chuckling softly she batted her tail towards Kahlua playfully. She knew all too well how responsibilities took up majority of your spare time, the most important things must come first.

Come to think of it, if Lace was to meet Aeolus and Levex it would be the first time they would have met another stallion. The feeling of regret surfaced knowing somehow it was her fault they did not have a father. It will be good for them to meet another male that is a part of their family to at least know not all stallions are such traitors. Neither of them had mentioned anything about who their father was so for now she could keep the truth from them. She had no idea how she was going to explain that later on to them but that was a worry for another day.

Brisa talks
Aeolus talks
Levex talks

•• TAGS: Kahlua •• NOTES: Sorry for wait ••

The queen had never considered the alternative to her question, that Lace would not want to stay here in the draconian forest that he belonged in. For it was so clear to her that he did belong here. But it seemed that it was not so clear to lace. He didn't know? She was confused and the sudden frown on her face told the story plainly. What about the Edge was not to love? But his story explanation went on, Kahlua could only sigh? Did he really think them so petty? Did he even know that she was queen now? She wasn't as gracious as Brisa in accepting the news.

“But Lace, Kaj and I, we can find something for you to do, help you stay busy, find you a position on our council. We need another Glazier...” But soon enough she trailed off, sighing, trying to remain composed. She supposed that arguing would not fix anything and Lace appeased her soon enough. She nodded eagerly in response, her childish upset turning into a happy smile. So many had asked to rest just across their borders and had come to stay in the herd for much longer.

“Oh Lace,” she cooed contentedly. “You're always welcome across our borders, no matter what happens. I hope you find what you need,” she added, hoping in her heart that what he needed was right here in the mists. At least the heavy conversation was interrupted by happier notes and talks of Brisa's family. “Well let's walk and find them, then,” she suggested contentedly enough, hoping to bring their conversation into the interior of the Edge. After all, Lace need not stand at the borders like a stranger. She nodded her head inwards and prepared to step off if Lace desired to walk with them.

Anything to take her mind off the idea that he might not stay with them after basically rising from the grave.

@[Brisa]
Image Credit

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

He wanted to squirm and writhe under her gaze, the frown appearing on her pretty two-toned face speaking its clear language. Should he tell her that he really wanted to stay but that the darkness and the mist had a way of bringing out the worst, the darkest, the most unpleasant things in him? Ought he tell her of the numerous times he had withdrawn into himself and shirked his duties because of a gnawing feeling of worthlessness, of the conflicts within brought about by the constant need for vigilance and the brave, kind-hearted but oh, so naive desire to believe the best in people that haunted the Qian? Perhaps she would understand if he told her that he even now was on high alert, always waiting to see the mists swirl and part before a black mare draped in shadows and night, dragon-touched and mysterious - and so beautiful that she made his heart ache in longing. How could Kahlua expect him to stay when every second in the shade of the trees tore his heart into pieces because she wasn't there too, to smile her elusive smiles, give him answers and guidance and bring him back down to earth when his own mind wished to escape.

But Lace said nothing more, just shook his head with a sad, sad smile and left it at that. He was grateful when she without hesitation accepted his plea for lodging and followed along in her wake as she headed off into the trees, intent on visiting the children. The stallion did so quietly however, simply smiling at Brisa and bowing her to go ahead before he followed; without thinking much about it bringing up the rear, so that nothing could get to the trio from behind.

It was heartbreaking to feel the mist close in around him. The equine felt as though he was being embraced by soft, cool arms, brought into a hazy bosom to relax and calm down. Memories washed over him, four years worth of smiles, frowns, happiness and sadness that kept bombarding him. The trail they followed was so familiar he could have walked it with his eyes closed, he thought he knew every tree, every brook and hidden spring, every moss-covered tree. Torn between laughter and tears he turned his head this way and that, greedily absorbing every detail and noting changes with almost jealous eagerness. He hadn't been there to see that tree fall. He hadn't watched ice and cold blast that boulder apart, scattering the rock in heaps around the core. He passed the broken remains of the Wall with a gasp of surprise, unaware that it had been destroyed - golden eyes quickly turned to Kahlua with a storm of questions lurking in their depths. Why hadn't she mended it? What about defense, what of the threat from the north? Had they hated the wall so much that they didn't care to repair it - but why had no one told him when he suggested building it?

He wasn't even sure what it was that made him stumble and sidestep, didn't care to look; he just knew that he drew closer to Brisa's shimmering pale figure, as though being closer to a familiar figure might help him through this. Struggling desperately to hold himself together he took to studying her as they went, a hundred questions burning to be answered in regards to her as well - he had never known she had a mate or cared for children at all.

"How old are your twins?" he asked her quietly and hurried up his steps to walk alongside her, long legs matching her pace so that he could look her in the eye. "Who's the proud father?" Or maybe you shouldn't ask such things? He wouldn't know.

@[Brisa]
The Store | The Warden

With the given responses from each of them it was clear that neither of the two mares were particularly happy with Lace's announcement that he may or may not come back home. While she managed to contain her disappointment from years of practice her painted friend voiced her concerns aloud. It was understandable for Kahlua to feel this way but from the sounds of it there were much deeper connections between the pair than what she had first thought. Perhaps something between them in the past before she had arrived and become part of the herd? Shrugging it off she knew that she must accept that she would never know everything about her family, nor was she meant to. Everyone had their own secrets hidden away from the rest of the world whether it be resentments, fear or a combo of many. This was the nature of the world, everyone lies.

Turning to follow Kahlua when she insisted of tracking down her twins she was grateful for the distraction and change of topic. There was only so much that she could take in one day before feeling as if she was going insane. Turning an ear as Lace's voice spoke again this time to her she turned her eyes to him briefly before answering his simple questions. "They are only a couple weeks old now but already quite the handful, two colts makes for a fun time." Chuckling in good humor she let her mothering love for her colts through. As for the father proud wouldn't be the term she would have selected, more like the deadbeat traitorous father who would never know his boys. " I wouldn't say proud considering he left before they were a sure thing and has not been seen since. Their father couldn't care that they existed, but the name you will likely recognize as Note." She replied a little bitterly but not directed towards Lace.

As they walked along in silence for a couple steps she nickered loudly knowing that the twins were nearby, well that is where she had left them at least. Listening she finally heard their anxious replies as they followed her voice to where she was not really liking that she was not there with them. Long legs broke through the bushes as both Aeolus and Levex came bounding over to her eagerly the mist swirling at their feet. Extending her neck as they half collided into her she lipped affectionately at their coats glad to see they had not gotten into any trouble for the few minutes she was away. Turning to Kahlua and Lace she smiled as she watched both boys exchange glances before taking hesitant steps towards their new friends. " This here is Levex and Aeolus, they haven't met too many others yet so they may be a little shy." She introduced touching each colt's rump as she said their names. "Boys I want you to meet Kahlua and Lace, they are part of your family as well."

Pulling their small wings close to their tiny frames both colts each took a few hesitant steps closer with curiosity and big bright inquisitive eyes. Both of them looked completely different, Levex with his dual tone orbs, buckskin coat and shoulder markings while Aeolis was more of a pinky grey tone with white brindling, golden wings, and gold coloured point extremities. Aeolus had inherited her icy blue eyes while Levex had one blue eye and one green eye.

Brisa talks
Aeolus talks
Levex talks

•• TAGS: Lace, Kahlua •• NOTES: -- ••

Silly queens and silly hearts do not know what strains they lay upon their friends when they ask of them what cannot be given. But at least Kahlua was at peace now, convinced that Lace would come to stay permanently with them, given enough time to think it over. She did not know how wrong she was, of course, but time had a way of healing all wounds. After all, even the death of Shilva was not just an inkling of a thought that dipped into her conscious mind ever now and again. Over the weeks, months, and years, even Lace’s abandonment of the draconian forest would become less of slight against her, and more of something that she could accept.

And as she passed the wall with Lace, delicately picking her way through the shards that they had yet to clear away, she turned her head away from the thing. Lace had dreamed it in the night and she had made it a reality, but of all the things she had made, she hated this wall the most. The way Lace hated the thought of staying here without Mirage, Kahlua hated the thought of chains and bars and prisons. Had he seen her that day, when he had trapped her within, and she had cried for him to let her out? Had he known what sort of evil he had caused to brew within her heart? But no, perhaps not, he had only been protecting his family. And so she did not blame that day on him, but it haunted her dreams still.

But at least the conversation turned to Brisa, away from thoughts of walls, and Kahlua listened patiently. She knew their age and she knew that there was a question of who the father might be. Had her friend ever figured it out? Her question was answered, but not the way she had hoped it. “Oh, Brisa,” she sighed softly, though she had little to add. She had not seen Note since the battle, a crying shame since they had been intending to promote him. But at least Brisa seemed strong and determined, prepared to raise the foals on her own, and Kahlua softly reprimanded herself for not offering to help more. She was no lover of children, but she should not ignore her friend’s needs either.

And so, as the winged children appeared, Kahlua tried to forget that children were as much chains and prisons as glass walls were. She smiled, lowered her head to their level, and then laughed to see their cautious approach. “Hello friends,” she cooed softly. “How do you like the Edge?”

@[Brisa]- I’m the worst, so sorry for the delay!! After vacation, I was having a hard time getting back into this thread, but I found my muse :D
Image Credit

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

Lace hadn't forgotten. It was on his mind too, every second he spent within the borders of the land. It was just such a relief to be distracted, to allow himself to become immersed in Brisa's story however sad and infuriating it was. He relished the feeling of having someone else to worry about for a while, frowning deeply in dislike over the irresponsible bloke and his behavior while quietly celebrating that it wasn't he himself who had done something so horrible. Surely the serious talks could wait until later, be pushed up another day?

"I remember that name" he murmured when given a chance, anger on her behalf clear in his voice. "Would have thought more of him than this... I'm sorry that you had to be treated this way." He reached over to nudge her shoulder in sympathy, a brief and friendly touch that soon relinquished as she went to fetch her kids. He waited quietly next to Kahlua, simply enjoying the feeling of her presence and of standing within the forest again; breathing in deeply the scent of loam and fern, moss and water and the salty tinge of ocean that permeated it all.

When Brisa returned with her sons a smile volunteered itself across his face, the serious expression brightening considerably. Hanging back slightly to let the queen greet her young subjects first, he eventually stepped closer with head low and nostrils quivering in curiosity - he hadn't seen foals this young since Amaris and Semira were small. And twins too! Helovia was bountiful as always.
"Greetings, young ones" he hummed in the usual soft tone, examining the little colts interestedly. "Handsome little devils, aren't they? You better keep an eye on them when they grow old enough, Brisa, or they might break the hearts of every filly in the region."

He grinned up at her, only half joking; the boys would grow up to become handsome for sure and such things drew attention of many - though, not all of it would be from the girls. No few stallions gathered around the strong and the beautiful, some to bask on the collective glory and some... some would come to make them less handsome, less charming, less everything. It was sad but such was the way of the world, not likely to ever change. He didn't tell this to the mother however. She likely had enough to worry about as it was.

@[Brisa] So sorry for the wait! <3

The Store | The Warden