the Rift

[OPEN] The final chapter

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

PALADIN
The sound of iron shocks is stuck in my head

Paladin heard Lace speak and turned to watch the dragon on his back, a tiny white thing, hiss at Mauja. The warrior laid his ears back against his neck, a frown marking his lips at the lizard. It was natural for unicorns to hate dragons and their demon fire, but he had more reason than most to despise the vile, scaly things. His entire neck was evidence of the over-passionate abuse one of them could wield on a body. The white hair on his neck only grew a few inches from the scar tissue given by Gossamer's blue wretch.

The war stallion raised a simple brow at Lace's brusque words, and Paladin wondered what he did to earn that ire, especially since both of them had been absent from the World's Edge, perhaps just at different times. What had Lace ever done? Hm? Disappear while ruling beside Mirage? Talk? Wag his tongue without much to show for it... The black dun shook his head as if the action would push the thoughts from his mind, and for the most part, it worked.

Mauja responded with cutting sass, and Paladin laughed in response, the sound hissing as a big grin plastered on his face. The expression didn't reach his churning, crimson eyes. He didn't catch the Frostheart's hint of jest, so he assumed that it was spoken in retaliation. Who was Mauja to stick up for him? Regardless, Paladin was grateful. He had put Mauja through hell with his paranoia and accusations of racism, and yet the white beast still had his back.

He had honor.

Honor was severely lacking now, especially among his own flesh and blood that wandered aimlessly. He even lacked honor. What battle born warrior moved around herdless? What battle born warrior could barely move without radiating pain in their joints? What warrior abandoned their family...

Me.

"Too many battles," he grunted, shifting his weight from the tree with a wince. "My hocks burn constantly now." He glanced behind himself at the thick, white hairs that sprouted like a disease around his hind end, spreading up through his hips as well. "I wasn't careful. I threw my body into whatever faced me without fear of consequence. At the time, it made me a fearsome wild card on the field, but now?" He laughed shortly again. "It hurts to move."

Now, the idea of cleaning the debris from the Moonlit Tides seemed somewhat silly. How much damage had he done yanking his muscles against his frame to send that driftwood back out to sea?

Paladin turned his head then and looked over at Mauja, wanted to admit something that he had realized only as age, helplessness and depression had taken over his mind. But, he held his tongue, waiting for the others to do or say what they wanted. He didn't need Lace or Aaron hearing him admit to what was hiding in his black heart now.

But fuck it.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting to live with your own," he said finally, his expression resolute. "I did not realize then the snowball I had created demanding equality from all." He shook his head, frowning. "No one in this universe is equal. Living with those closest to you, those similar, those who are family... right or wrong... there is no shame."

[[wanted this to go by quickly, feel free to jump in again, Aaron if you want! @[Lace] ]]

Messages In This Thread
The final chapter - by Paladin - 07-23-2014, 08:19 PM
RE: The final chapter - by Mauja - 08-10-2014, 03:17 PM
RE: The final chapter - by Aaron - 08-11-2014, 02:14 AM
RE: The final chapter - by Paladin - 08-13-2014, 10:54 PM
RE: The final chapter - by Lace - 08-14-2014, 08:30 PM
RE: The final chapter - by Mauja - 08-23-2014, 03:51 AM
RE: The final chapter - by Paladin - 08-27-2014, 06:12 PM
RE: The final chapter - by Lace - 08-27-2014, 07:58 PM
RE: The final chapter - by Aaron - 08-30-2014, 12:34 AM
RE: The final chapter - by Mauja - 08-30-2014, 03:31 AM
RE: The final chapter - by Paladin - 09-01-2014, 02:12 PM