the Rift

[OPEN] ACHTUNG!!!

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
NPC

The summer has been bountiful and gentle with mild weather and an abundance of easy food. Herbivores and predators alike thrive causing a sudden spike in the populations - and an urgent lack of space for them all to mingle upon.

Not only the fauna of Helovia thrives however. The mild weather and upsurge of easy pray has caused a boom in the growth and multiplication of the Churning Green, the carnivorous moss that grow on rubble and rock amidst the remnants of the former Foothills.

Awakened now as Tallsun draw to a close the rapidly multiplying plants have suddenly grown ferocious and target not only rodents and birds but foals and small horses as well! In the cover of night the Churning Greens leave their rocks and begin to move, searching for big enough prey to satisfy their voracious hunger.

Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
We’d actually only just begun to recover from the recent onslaught of misfortunes. The gods seemed to be smiling down upon us though, they gave all clans a safe haven for games and companionship to happen. Yon island had become a favorite pastime for many of this family, the very air in that place was thriving with life and a peaceful atmosphere.

Tonight was a working eve though, I paced the cliffside; keeping careful eye on the ground beyond our door. Alert for a trouble that was brewing, but thus far unseen. There were things shifting on this quiet night, toying with my regard while ignorance and shadow play remained ever in their favor. Fina was the first to notice something amiss, she’d been gliding below the cool diamonds. Our thick canopy was made for nearly perfect obscurity, but those raptor eyes caught sight of something slithering across the meadow. Swaying the tall grass in an unusual motion that mimicked the wind on this breathless night.

“Midas.” My companion beckoned firmly, a fair distance separated us yet her voice was ever clear in my mind, “Something moves in the dark. Tis not animal.” Normally passive gaze narrowed, then hardened; sun dipped feathers shifted apart, carrying me into the sky without further pondering or question. It wasn’t in a soldier to simply stand by; these sort of things should always be investigated – no room for quarter or a lax guard.

Fina followed high above those dark lumps until I arrived.

Still warm from the sun
upside down beside the ocean
Image Credit
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Irrydae Posts: 111
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: Seven
paddeh

Irrydae stood calmly, darkness enveloping her as her golden eyes shimmered underneath the stars. The cool temperatures of night calmed her aching body as she slowly rested herself in the grass. She made sure to not fall asleep out in the open even though it was unlikely to happen due to the fear of what sleep would bring her. A light breeze tugged at her mane, strands billowing in the air before resting lightly against her neck again. Even though the ache still permanently resided in Irrydae's chest from Evers absence, a calm had settled over the Falls and over herself and a content sigh whispered through velveteen lips. The stars had always calmed her, and she was mournful that she had not spent time to enjoy her stars recently.

Irrydae's mind wandered as she watched the twinkling sky, eyelids dropping ever so slightly. She jolted herself awake, forcing herself to stand and turned to find a better place to stay for the night. She stretched out her legs and wings slowly, tossing her head before the sounds of rustling feathers and distance hoof falls reached her audits. Another sound accompanied these regulars one- a earthly slithering that made her hair raise in unease. Irrydae's sharp eyes swung in the direction of the sound, and she loped off in the direction. She noticed the fiery bird above her, and after a second of pondering she remembered that the bird was Midas' companion. Her attention rose more so as she reached the sound.

Moss.

Moss that was.. slithering?

An uneasy feeling settled in her gut as she kept her distance, following it's path and eyeing it cautiously, all the while making sure to keep a close eye on it. Irrydae was unsure of how to proceed with this moving moss, and decided following it's path for now would have to do until she figured out if it was dangerous or harmless and making a hasty decision. But then again, if it was indeed dangerous, how would one go about dealing with.. this? Glancing above to Fina, Irrydae hoped Midas was on his way, so maybe then they could figure out a plan of how to deal with this interesting new ordeal.

talk talk talk

image credits
[Image: wu5k41.png]
please tag irry in every post! magic & aggression allowed w/o death

Dröm Posts: 114
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.3hh :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee
Dröm
quote quote

Tonight, something is moving, slithering. That something is dangerous and hungry. A couple of other horses have already spotted this moving villain, but it seems they do not know what it is. What does this hungry plant mean? Will the Hidden Falls' future be uncertain? Will this plant wipe out most of Helovia's population?

The flaxen babe is late to the party. She notices the pegasus on land before Midas in the sky. The pegasus on land follows the moss like a hound follows the scent of it's target. This mare follows, but it seems that Dröm is on the wrong side. The dark lumps of moving moss are moving in her direction, and she skillfully begins to trot away from the moss, but the lumps are still right behind her. She frantically looks back, feeling chased. However, it doesn't seem like the land pegasus is worried, so the blonde mare stops worrying as much. She is burning with curiosity, yet her fear keeps her from turning around and investigating it. "Do you guys have any ideas as to what this is?" She skips the introductions. The situation at hand is much more urgent. Especially considering the moss seems to be chasing her. In reality, it is not chasing her, but if she halts it will catch up to her and consume her. It seems as if she is on the wrong side today. "Maybe a healer would know what this is?" She hollered so Midas would hear too. Healers are good with herbs, right? Perhaps the golden femme could try to find one to show them this moving plant and they could tell her how to defeat it. Then, Midas, the Land pegasus, and her could defeat the moss.

ooc:; sorry for shortness! will get better!
"talk"
x - x
[Image: 53d6f2ea9010d]
pixel by baylee

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
NPC

The moss is hungry and it moves surprisingly fast! Ignoring the horse and the bird in the air as they are well beyond the reach of it, the carnivorous plant instead focus on the movement it senses from the ground.

Distracting the foolish fleshlings with what they can see and hear the moss try to lure IRRYDDAE and DRÖM into a trap by sneaking up on them from behind! Moving like a surging tide of water the moss pile up on itself and then come crashing down towards the backs, wings and legs of the bleeders, the green mass glistening with the strong acid it uses to break down its prey!

Ciceron Posts: 315
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 6 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kiara :: White Tiger :: Poison nickel

As the moon rose higher in the night sky the grey could not seem to settle down to sleep and neither could his companion as she paced restlessly a top the rocks she had chosen to be her perch. Something just did not seem quite right and regardless how much they thought neither of the could figure out what was keeping them awake. It wasn't long before the stallion gave up on sleep completely and turned to Kiara. "I am going to make one last run of the borders, are you up for another run?" He commented softly not wanting to disturb anyone else sleeping in the area. Giving him a look as if to say did you really have to ask? She jumped down eagerly off the rocks to saunter after him.

Kiara was the first to notice the flaming bird within the sky drawing his attention to Midas as he soared overhead. Strange, normally most were asleep by this hour... something is wrong. Movement catches his ear as the soft sound of flecks of stone and dirt moved along with whatever was being dragged. Wait a minute dragged? Kiara stay close until we figure out what is going on. Figures come into view as he rounds a corner, a pegasus mare who he recognizes as Irrydae and another equine who he cannot place a name to. Intent on approaching them he steps forward a step before his vision flashes to whatever Kiara was seeing from her vantage point. What the hell? Is that moss? Shaking his head to clear the image his silver eyes snap back to his own focus to sure enough see the moss moving across the ground right towards the pair before him. Great as if a floating island wasn't strange enough, now the moss was trying to eat people. What was next trees sprouting legs and walking around killing people in their sleep?

Lunging forward his large hooves kick up dirt as he bellows a warning cry loudly for all to hear. "Behind You!!" He yells towards Irrydae and the other mare as he closes in with Kiara hot on his heels ready to do whatever is needed. Her uncertainty sinks into his mind as he suddenly realizes he has no idea how to stop man eating moss. Rip it to shreds with his teeth? Would that even harm it? Veering around the largest section of the moss last minute to avoid getting caught up in its mossyness he slams on the brakes sliding to a stop spinning to face the plant head on. Fire might work but he was fresh outta that ability, perhaps his larger stature would make the moss second guess its intended meal and back away? "Don't let it get near you, I don't think that it wants to play nice."

Ciceron talks
Ciceron thinks
Kiara speaks

•• TAGS: @[Irrydae], @[Dröm], @[Midas] •• NOTES: -- ••

Table by Moonstone Designs
[Image: ciceron_by_foxyfirewings-d7npcjn.png][Image: untitled_2_by_moonstone_designs-d9fwqyy.png]
Pixel Base- BronzeHalo
**Please Tag Me In All Posts**
Permission to attack, use magic and injure with the exception of maiming or death.
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
The herd was growing restless and awake. Fina continued to fly overhead, thankfully silent in her glide -- gaze harboring no kind thought toward the slithering creature below. Creamy predator beak drifted apart, sampling air and trying to gather a taste for what it was that overtook shadows and moved like the bodies of many serpents. Not a fur creature, not reptile. Magic?

I came soaring overhead, there were already members of the herd gazing curiously out of their hollows. Stirred by a sensitivity to trouble and the unknown, I caught sight of one that the creature had nearly caught up with. She was fanatically stepping aside, retreating, but the shirking beast seemed to be keen on a chase. I soared over, gazing down from this aloft position; Fina came flying up as well drawing near my right.

The mare was bleating, nervous notes making her voice high pitched and stained. I listened but gave no orders, instead my attention was drawn to the rising thing. There was no time to gather a healer.

It was no longer entirely on the ground, instead it seemed to be rearing up. Bundling down upon dark looking flesh. A plant? I thought frantically, and Fina nodded plainly. From our vantage point I caught sight of the thing rising fast toward the folk on the ground, “Move away!” ebony lips opened into a roar; those women couldn’t just stand by!

‘Fina!’ Being part of a soul bond had one specific benefit. She already knew my thoughts, my desires; and could act upon them without further orders that would waste precious time. We were both soldiers through and through.

Our Praetor came from the undergrowth, bellowing a warning. Fina dived forward, toward earth and the position of the plant like monster that had suddenly been given life. She dipped toward the dry grass directly ahead of the beast and between our family. Flame tipped wings blazed ever brighter, their fire a furnace that caught the dehydrated strands aflame. A blaze rose in a line, the breeze fanning its swelter toward the beast. She turned tightly, attempting to circle the thing and place a barrier around it. The ground burned, turning black.

Would fire wound it? Could it even be wounded?

Bellowing overhead I turned to the honeyed mare, the one who wasn't a soldier and who didn't have wings by which to escape, "Evacuate the mares and young ones, take them to the ocean on the far side of this valley!" the cry is an order that offers no argument or quarter. I would not chance a loss tonight.

Still warm from the sun
upside down beside the ocean
Image Credit
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Dröm Posts: 114
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.3hh :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee
Dröm
with the frost on my heels, i look for the sun ahead
She sees it moving, but she is too focused on finding someone to help, that she doesn't see the danger ahead. The moss circles around her, as if enclosing her in a sort of pen. She halts and spins around wondering what the heck is happening. If she backs up, she'll step on the moss, but if she runs forwards she'll run into the rapidly growing wall of hungry moss. Fearing for her life, she lets out a strong whinny, her tone clearly distressed. She is a deer in the headlight, but these headlights are especially hungry. The wall of moss grows taller than the flaxen girl. Taller than the large dapple grey stallion warning her of the danger. She pins her ears back, angry at the moss.

What is something they could do to kill the moss? Fire would dehydrate it, but it seems this moss does not need water. It needs blood. Idly, she wonders if there is something blood evaporates with when combined. What can they do to the mos? "I don't knkow w-what to do." She begins stuttering when she sees the big wave of moss begin to crashing down. The pegasus in the sky and the unicorn on the ground order her to move away from the growing plant, and something wakes up in her body. The sudden realization that if she just stands there she will be eaten? Without second thought she moves. She quickly dodges out of the way and runs out of the awkward holding area. The area where they were going to eat her. They being the bundles of moving moss, they being her worst nightmares.

Once she is clear of the waves of moss, her leader orders her to evacuate the premises and save some of the horses that are part of the herd. He tells her to evacuate the mares, their foals, and she assumes he expects her to take the stallions, too. Why would she leave the stallions for the dead? "Yes, sir." Her voice echoes all around, but the courage behind every word is slightly drowned out by fear. What if she fails, and horses die? She would blame herself and feel guilty for the rest of her life. She glances quickly at the purple and brown pegasus and the grey unicorn who had warned her other the danger behind her. She turns away from the moss, the commotion, and the horses to gallop away. She does not know how to summon the herd, but she assumes by screaming for them to come, they will. She prepares a small speech in her mind and moves towards the center of the Hidden Falls, where there should be a large group of horses to summon.

ooc:; it has been over 48 hours, so i assumed i could skip paddeh and irry :3 Dröm has left to go take the horses to the shore! <3
"talk"
x - x
[Image: 53d6f2ea9010d]
pixel by baylee