the Rift

Glory [ Mandatory Herd Meeting!]

Tamme the Tempting Posts: 140
Administrator
Mare :: Other :: 2 :: 2 HP: 9001 | Buff: Admin
Tamme
[OOC: Ali is in a hurricane and posted on the absent board. She has three weeks to respond, just letting you know
On another note. lol. Ali should get an award for shortest lived herd lead position :P
On another nother note. Awesome]

Kimber Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 4 (Ages in Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Kaiden :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Kachie
Attentively the young filly listened to the explanation offered to her by Paladin, her confidence only stronger for having been backed by Aaron in her questioning. Her ears swiveled back and forth thoughtfully before she popped up with a simple question. "Then why didn't you ask to lead beside Mother, instead of completely changing everything?"

And then all hell broke loose. A coldness she'd never heard before came into Smoke's voice, and Kimber's head swung around warily to watch her mother. Listening. Shocked and dumbfounded. Did this mean...? It did. She didn't know how to process this, and stood motionless as Smoke and Paladin spoke. The unicorn stallion sounded as confused as she was, though she probably had a better idea of why her mother was acting as she was. Paladin acted and sounded like someone who barely knew the Wild Rose for who she was, for all his professing to have known Smoke for years.

So absorbed was she in her own inner turmoil and confusion that she didn't notice at first the rising tide of emotion emanating from Ricochet. But the young stallion's voice, tense and harsh, alerted her and she gazed up at him anxiously. Secretly she admired him for speaking up with the truth of the situation, but he forever lacked tact. Which was a bit like pot calling kettle.

Kimber eased closed to Ricochet, reaching hesitantly out with her muzzle to touch his shoulder, but he was too caught up. His voice grew louder, his posture more frenetic. Her eyes grew wide and her ears tipped back, the ferrets vanishing beneath her mane. This was the first time she'd ever seen the Incendiary like this, and now she understand why he was called that. For a moment her shock was encompassing, watching stallion and dog display their violent emotions for all to see.

And then common sense clawed its way back into her mind, and the yearling shouldered against the buckskin stud. "Ricochet, you're going a bit overboard with this..." She said insistently, tugging on his mane with her teeth. Her ferrets had been replaced with a fox, which leapt down to dance a distracting circle about Guns. "This is Mother's place to challenge or no, and she probably has a really good reason." At least, Kimber hoped so. It was unlike Smoke to not have some sort of reason handily available to explain to others the whys and why nots.

Poppy Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
She does not care for their politics, only for her Willow.

Yes, her Willow, she thinks fondly, fiercely, with a greater emphasis than most of the ideas that manage to last within her fuzzy skull. She clings to he creature with her body and mind, a small grey shadow perfectly content to follow her new idol, her beautiful goddess, her perfect blend of everything good. She smiles like a loon in love, and the flowers on her back bloom and bloom. She wonders if perhaps she can someday become like Willow - if she is like Willow, if this is why she has the vines and always has? She wonders if perhaps this is her family, if she has finally found one who would treat her as so many dams treat their foals, if she will be loved by the tree and if she will be able to stay with her and if they will be a happy family now.

She is oblivious to the meaning of this gathering. The passing of power means nothing to this girl in grey, the rise and fall of leadership a passing shroud over the gaze of her world. She cares about the kind words of Gossamer and how pretty she is; she cares about the one with the dragon named Zaffre and the spotty colt and the sky-filly. And Willow, her Willow. She watches the giant mare with crimson-tinged eyes and she smiles in content, and she feels safe, even as the crowds grow bigger. She recognizes so few, fuzzy images of half-forgotten greetings and scents obscured by the crumpled fabric of her mind; she sees one who is black and has a gold dragon that she remembers sort of as being very big, and one who is also black except white too but now she has a cat on her shoulders and she does not know why because she has not seen a cat wi- no she has! Excitement wells within her as she realizes that the winged-cat is the second of its kind that she has found, although she thinks it is a little different, but maybe it is exactly the same? She bounces eagerly from beside Willow, looking up to show the great beauty her excitement, but Willow is busy making words at the injured horn-face. She feels sad, and jealous; her vines droop.

She does not understand why everyone is yelling, and why they were angry, but she thinks it has happened very sudden. One moment everyone was talking, and she was happy, because this was her family and it was all around her and she felt safe, and the next the stripe mare she met was yelling and the injured unicorn was yelling and then the sandy stallion was yelling and maybe not yelling for real but they were angry, and the plants could feel it, and they quivered beneath the dripping spill of blood, and it scared her. Around her, the ground grew dead, a protective surge of strength pulling into her hooves. Confidence, sudden, great for such a tiny creature; she wants to stop all the hurt, to impress Willow, to save her family.

She wonders where Gossamer is.

It is a tiny creature that steps up before the dark stallion, the new leader, but tiny creatures have great voices. She raises her head, she ignores them all and she address them all; she yells: "No more hurt!" Anger, she is angry, and viscous thorns now, suddenly, adorn her sides. Around her hooves the earth churns, plants growing and rooting and dying with uncomfortable rapidity, great black thorns snarling out of the ground and reaching for those nearby before falling into crumpled ash. She glares through crimson eyes, at all of them and none of them. She wants them to stop.

"We is family! Not fight -fix things!"

[Image: 2m7t3j5.png]

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

I WANT TO FEEL THE PAIN AND THE BITTER TASTE
OF THE BLOOD ON MY LIPS, AGAIN

Paladin watched the storm erupt before him with an expression of disappointment, mild irritation and exhaustion. Perhaps, had he not been in so much pain, his temper would have been riled, and the noble stallion would have lashed back with his strength and experience. Now? The stallion could not help but watch as if through someone else's eyes, someone who did not care anymore, someone who was in too much pain to give a flying fuck.

With a deep, heavy sigh, the black dun leveled his crimson eye at Ricochet and shook his head slowly. He stopped. Pain in his crest erupted, causing him to wince. "You were listening with your emotions and not your skull, making your position perfectly clear," he said, his tone flat and matter of fact.

"Perhaps if you had listened at all, you would have realized that I was calling for a dialogue with Smoke that could in fact reinstate her as a lead." The black dun then watched as the healer sucked the life out of the ground around her and yelled something about not fighting and family. No more hurt? Really? Because he was standing there bleeding, barely out of the thick of a challenge, and she wanted no one else to hurt? Paladin's expression soured.

Paladin wanted to sarcastically tell Ricochet that he had something on his mouth as mad froth dripped from his lips, but he refrained in case the stallion found another reason to lose his already needless temper. "I am in pain. I am tired. This spat is completely needless as I have never been a stallion who would turn away talking to anyone about discontentment." With a sad crimson eye, he grunted. "Either you choose to delude yourselves into thinking lies or you honestly believe that I am the type who would deny Smoke the right to calmly, rationally and respectfully speak about her desires in this herd."

The black dun stallion grimaced. "I am disappointed in myself that I did not appear kind enough to each of you that you think I would want this power for myself without considering those who have done so much. I wanted more for this herd, and I had hoped that you would as well. There is no need to allow anger to rise up over a matter than can easily be solved with rational logic. I believe, and still do believe, that Smoke is a true gift to Helovia, as I have stated before."

With a grunt of irritation, he stared into the distance. "I am disappointed that this matter was not handled with the rationality that I know you all possess. You treat me as a creature who I am not, and I will not allow these lies about my personage to continue." Paladin turned to Smoke, his expression calm and saddened once more. His eyes were tired, exhausted. Shock was beginning to set in, and his muscles trembled despite his best efforts to appear in control. "If you wish to speak with me further, I encourage your openness. I simply ask that you give me a night to rest and allow the tension of this moment to fade before we discuss. You are important and valuable to this herd, and I did not mean disrespect."

"You have my deepest apologies." The black dun stallion began to limp slowly from the middle of the fray, wishing beyond every desire of his heart that Soleil could be here right now. She was his strength when he was weak. She was his happiness when he was sad, and she was taking care of their children. Suddenly, Paladin stopped and turned to face Ricochet, his expression fierce. "I can forgive much in the light of temper, but I cannot forgive you for calling Soleil such cruel and malicious names when she is not even present. I expect you to apologize to her, regardless of the outcome of tonight, because what you did was not only a mention of discontent with a lead, but cruelty against another who is not even here to defend herself against your slander. I had hoped more from you."

The stallion limped forward, again, thirsty and desperately needing something to drink. All he wanted to do was lay down and make the pain stop. Did he want to lead a herd full of such cruelty? Who would ignore another's pain because of their own selfish actions at a matter easily resolved? The sorrow that filled his heart at the state of mind in this herd was crippling.

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
It was with a sense of sadness that Smoke watched the situation spiral far beyond what she'd wished of it. Things happened too fast for her to stop it, and then calm fell again. One ear twitched as she listened to Paladin again, and then she heaved a quiet sigh. There was no point holding onto the anger within her.

"Poppy!" Her voice rang with the expectancy that the mare would listen. "Paladin needs your skills as healer." Her voice softened, but her gaze was firm enough that she presumed the flighty mare would attend and obey before becoming distracted once more.

Her gaze then swung toward Ricochet and Kimber, holding approval for her daughter and something else for her daughter's half brother. "Ricochet, I appreciate that you are of strong feelings for the situation, but this is between Paladin and myself." Her expression was almost of disapproval. She knew him to be explosive in nature, but she was family and Paladin had intended to put her direct above the buckskin within the herd, and himself above her. It was uncalled for for a warrior to be so presumptious when his two immediate superiors were attempting to be courteous. Perhaps, someday, he'd learn some tact. She regretted that this all was happening so soon after he'd already had some difficult news to chew. Her gaze went to Kimber then, willing her daughter to understand that she should stay with Ricochet, regardless of what else happened.

Finally her gaze returned to Paladin, once again cool and even. Her voice was soft. "I spoke recently with Mauja of the folly of making assumptions based on what one has heard of others. Perhaps you will have learned this lesson as well, today. I will come back tomorrow, when you are rested and healed, and we can speak." That this conversation would be private went without saying. Absently she wondered if perhaps Paladin would learn to talk to others before he acted, instead of after.

Poppy Posts: N/A
Unregistered
Angry as she is, the little mare jumps at the sound of the thing they call her, the pretty flower that must be sort of her but not really. Maybe it is her plant, like Willow is the plant of Willow? She turns to find the source of the voice, but from behind the mass of surging bodies and sweaty anger, it is hard for her to see, to peer around chests and withers and distinguish only half-remembered family. Still, the voice is familiar, and as it speaks again it says a word she knows. Heal.

There was blood.

She follows the feel of it on the earth, and she comes to the black unicorn who was yelling, and she pauses because the extent of his injuries is very much. She wonders how he got them, because she does not think that horses usually get that hurt just walking around, but then again she tends to fall down when she is not paying attention and maybe he was too angry to pay attention and he forgot and fell off a big cliff? But he does not really have falling off a cliff, hurt. He looks to her as though he fell into a fire, and she wonders where he found a fire big enough to fall into, and why he did not get out sooner.

She steps towards him, and from beneath her feet vines sprout, long and vibrant, with great large leaves. She does not think about it or ask before directing one to the stallion; she merely glares. "No yell," she cautions, afraid of his anger, angry at his rage. The vine curls up and clings to his shoulder, wrapping through the stubble of his charred mane and slapping blooming thick leaves upon the deeper burns. It is not gentle, a reflection of her disjointed turmoil, confused tendency towards discontent that pesters her determination to fix this stallion. She lets the vine work and reaches down, nosing through the ground to pull out a gob of muddy, rooty grass.

The Earth God's gifts make this, too, glow. She presses it against his shoulder, grabbing more, pressing it on his neck, the scarred and raw burn of his face. She is determined and focused; she ignores the outside world. The vine settles over the muddy grass, holding it flush against his damaged form, before she snaps it away from its base. She steps back now and admires her handiwork, the vines wrapped tightly about squelchy mud, the whole contraption glowing with a faint, pleasant light.

She shudders, suddenly, muscles aching with the exhaustion of her efforts, and nearly falls into him, crimson eyes struggling to stay open. She is sleepy. She wants Willow.

[Image: 2m7t3j5.png]

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time
Archibald watched the scene unfold with cold eyes. His tail lashed behind him in annoyance, hitting Casimir furiously in the shoulder. The black stallion was angered at these members now, watching each of them attack Paladin verbally. The black dun had done nothing except step up into a position to better the herd, because in his eyes, and more than his eyes, Gossamer was no longer cutting it. Smoke had reason behind her words, in the beginning, but now she was stepping too far.

Whether you like it or not," Archibald said, his deep vocals rumbling and splitting the air, "Paladin did something beneficial in his eyes. This stallion is highly qualified to lead this herd, more qualified than Gossamer had been. Yes, Gossamer was a fair and friendly lead, but she fell. Gossamer set this herd on basic rules--equality, justice, and productivity. Under her reign, we only saw equality." Archibald turned his golden eyes to Smoke, taking a step towards her and letting his words ring out once more. "Smoke, you worked as a lead in this herd, however, you did not work as the lead title you were given. You are titled the Military Chieftess, yet you take over Gossamer's position and take care of foreign affairs. You neglected your warriors, as I had expressed interest in taking the position of Head Warrior moons ago, as well as others. You never took up on that, and so your movement to Head Warrior will probably benefit you--maybe you will learn to do your job." Archibald kept his gaze steady, his legs planted like mountains. The giant was unmoveable, and now he was angry.

Despite his anger, he spoke calmly. "All of you are caught in pride when you do not see what you are doing. Paladin wishes to bring the Foothills to glory, something that, frankly, previous leads could not grant us. If none of you stand on his side, then that is unfortunate. Paladin is our lead now, and he is speaking without pride! Horses, are you listening to this stallion? No. You do not see that he is willing to work with you, to get all desires heard. All you throw at him is disrespect and arrogance, and I pity you all. Your vision is fogged by greed." Archibald finally let his eyes fall on the back dun as Poppy began to bless his torn body with herbs of healing.

The warrior stood proudly, tail flicking more behind him as he waiting for members to throw poisonous words at him in retaliation.

Deceased
Tamme

Paladin stared emptily at Smoke for a few very long seconds after she spoke. A stirring of anger rose in his heart, but he had not the energy to grab a hold of the dimming flame as it flickered into darkness. Appreciate his strong feelings? So she appreciated the fact that Ricochet had called Soleil a whore and a traitor? He barely got a hint of a reprimand for cruel verbal slander, and Paladin got the brunt of a 'lesson' that he had already learned long ago. The lesson he learned today was that reasoning with emotions was like trying to part the ocean; impossible without a sign from the gods.

"Folly of making assumptions? You made an assumption that I was demoting you out of dislike when I considered it to be an honor. You assumed that I would not be reasonable enough to talk to and work out this slight that I did not know that I made. I have learned my lesson, but not the one you throw so arrogantly in my face," he said with weariness. "You should consider taking your own lessons to heart before you condemn those who apologize to you honestly and appreciate another's 'strong feelings' when they call one of your friends a whore and a traitor."

The stallion watched flatly as Poppy approached. She told him not to yell, and he grit his teeth as her work opened fresh wounds and tended for them. He grunted, but that was all, and his anger had long faded. When she was done, he instinctively gave her his shoulder as she swam, his crimson eyes glowing with soft concern. "Do not exert yourself on my behalf, healer..." he murmured, waiting patiently until she was able to right herself again.

Archibald spoke then and rekindled the flame in his heart which burned now only as an after thought. "Your support of me is noble, Archibald." Paladin watched him with admiration as he stood against many who would intensely slander him for his opinions. The stallion wanted rest, but his wounds felt considerably better.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
So much unfolded in such a short space of time.

The mare knew just how easy it was to have a gathering of loud opinions grow swiftly chaotic. It was hard, being so physically defeated that Paladin was as well, relying on his tree to keep his hooves beneath him. She wished she could do more, truly she did. But it was not her place, as an ally, to interfere any more than perhaps state her opinion on the matters at hand. A small sigh left her, as she stood, a silent observer with all three siblings gathered about her, of all the chaos.

Paladin acknowledged her words, and she tilted her tiara in acceptance of them. But so much more occurred, she did not allow her sturdy legs to take her away from the scene just yet. She was an ally of the Foothills, of Paladin - but also of Smoke, and many members of the Foothills were also members of the Qian, whom she held dearer than all others. Mirage had to stay, at least until the meeting slowed down again.

A new face arrives, his build and hue similar, yet different, to that of Smoke, and the General's daughter. She saw the way he clung to Smoke's side, but saw something more from him too. He introduced himself, and his canine pet, and suddenly she realised; he was Gunslinger's son. Interest was perked, the charred mare pressed her ears forward, curious to see just what kin of that bronze-bonded dun were made of. Thoughts drifted for a moment back to her foggy memories of Isilme, back to times where she and Akaith had played their tricks upon the stallion.. They were so long ago, and so unnecessary right now, she soon left those memories for reflection another day.

The next to arrive appeared to be moving tree. Akaith chirped uncertainly from her withers, eyeing the ermine that clung to the branches above. Had Mirage less control of herself, she might have shied and skittered sideways, but she was a mare exposed to a great many different things, like dragons and humans and gryphons, and so she was able to contain her fear that had sprouted merely from lack of knowledge. Observing it closer, and listening to it, she learned that it was a Lignea, and she felt as intrigued by it as Paladin, wanting to ask more questions, to receive more answers - but again, this was neither the time nor place.

A quiet, inky steed crept into the fray then. Though he did not announce his arrival, Mirage saw him. A nudge from Rishima told her that this was the quiet steed she had met, frolicking through the lands. Subtly Mirage adjusted her posture so as to invite him nearer, for he looked much like a lost little lamb standing among a painting of his own creation. Shadowy lips curved to a smile as the mare saw first hand the lovely, artistic magics her sister had described blossom in inky flowers about him. He was unique, she enjoyed that.

Query pulled up alongside the great Willow horse now, Mirage gave her a kind look of welcome. The young daughter of Smoke, Kimber, stepped forth now, her voice shaky in its beginnings, before it spilled forth a line of questions that bordered on accusatory… hell, they were accusatory. Mirage didn't know enough of Paladin's past to form an opinion, though she was severely interested, and longed to learn more. But the mare's eyes lingered on Kimber now, and like gears turning she came to the conclusion that she too was a daughter of Gunslinger. Golden eyes went to Smoke, burning with questions that would, as always, have to wait until more time had passed.

Familiar faces arrived then, the strong mare, Solstice, and her younger colt, Aaron; Mirage and her siblings each nodded their crown to them, acknowledging and welcoming their support of the Qian. A pegasus, or was he a mix? stepped forth then, one she didn't know, one who did not feel a need to drop his name. A small nod bobbed her tiara up and down, before Paladin's voice addressed the masses once again. He talked of his past, of Tides and Oasis; of Isilme. But such things were irrelevant now, weren't they? They were in Helovia, where things were similar but different, so different. Couldn't they all see this?

What happened next was completely unexpected.

Smoke stepped forth. Mirage held a great respect for the mare, had longed for her alliance with the Qian to stretch further, deeper, for some time now. It was now that the brothers shifted their stance, that new observations were made of the grulla mare, realisations falling into place. Mirage knew just how much she did for this herd, she knew just how large a blow it would be against the Foothills to have her leave - even just having her step down from a Leader's title to a General's title was going to have an affect on things, but not as great an effect as her completely leaving them. The little shadowy mare nodded her assent to Smoke, and she felt Maskan's titanic form step closer to the maiden, his muzzle reaching to stroke her gently, and blow his warm breath over the small of her back.

Mirage looked to Paladin then; she did not wish to seem triumphant - it had not been her intention or goal to come here and seemingly steal his herd from beneath him. A shred of guilt might have been felt by the mare, but she denied it any purchase on the inner walls of her magnificent mind, instead refocussing on the leader's crimson eyes. She wanted to do more, she wanted to even give the poor sod a hug - but that was an area for his mate, this Soliel. Mirage was glad then, not to be weighed down by youngsters who needed her constant attention, as this mare apparently was. Her independence would suffer when times for that arose, but she would be safe in a homeland by then… she sorely hoped, anyway.

The explosive son of Gunslinger then, well, exploded. He voiced his opinions with little restraint, showing that he was hardly similar to the soft-spoken yet strong-willed Gunslinger. Ricochet caused quite a stir with his tirade, cacophony and shouting and unsettling of companions everywhere. Akaith shuffled atop her bonded's back, a low growl rumbling from her chest. I could burn the mouth of the dog shut. She observed dryly, but did little to act on her thoughts aside from lick her jaws with her serpent-like tongue. The young Kimber seemed to attempt to soothe her brother then, pointing out that while his actions were honourable, they were brash and unnecessary.

A curious creature, who clearly possessed a way with plants - similar but very different to how this Willow creature could - stepped into the fray. Her childish words and antics were, it would seem, the final straw to break the metaphorical camel's back - Paladin looked pushed near to his limits. Again, Mirage wished there was more she could do for him. A subtle, yet pointed glance was given to her brothers. They nodded, knowing that while they all shared mixed emotions and opinions on the matter, they would stay, and serve the Foothills as Warriors still. Madyrn, normally so full of fire - and he was itching to let his own voice explode over the crowd, but for the sake of the moment, he swallowed it down hard - stepped over to his Unicorn leader, proffering his own solid shoulder as a rock to lean upon.

It was not a signal of abandoning the thoughts and cares of Smoke and those gathered behind her. It was a show that they would support this stallion because he did believe in similar things as the Qian, and he had won the right to do everything he had done fair and square - by the laws of both the Foothills and Helovia. Finally, the Healer stepped up and worked her magic, finally, things began to slow down… Until another stepped forth to give his opinion. He was the ambitious one, the one who so clearly announced that he longed to hold the General position, that Smoke had a clear target upon her back should she stay anyway. Mirage wondered at what she would do if she were in any different position as what she held now - and she was glad she didn't have to think on it too long.

"Paladin, Leader of the Foothills," the mare's strong voice cut clear in the moment of silence. She addressed him directly, stepping up towards him, tail lashing at her hocks. She was restless, this drama of a herd that was not her own making her feel slightly uncomfortable - the time was nearing when she would have to make her exit.

"There is little I can offer you besides from the Qian's ongoing support. Know that we support your leadership, as you claimed it fair under the laws of the land. Know that my brothers will stay and serve the Foothills as Warriors permanently. Know that I wish there was more I could do; should you think of a use for me and my kin, you need only state it, and we will try." It was a difficult speech to give, one that expressed all that was important to express. Mirage still hoped the stallion would speak to her privately, after the dust has settled more.

"I must take my leave, may you heal well, Valiant one." She added the words softly, a departing message of honest concern and hope for the future of the Foothills. Bowing her tiara low, and respectfully enough to show her honest regard for the herd. She touched her nose to her brothers, who in returned the gesture. Maskan looked surprisingly longingly at the Wild Rose, wondering if she would leave in his sister's shadow; understanding why she would, why she should. The brothers were usually the cause of such chaotic things, but they did not long to cause drama within a herd that was allied so intimately with their sister's causes.

The little shadow left the lands, mind whirling with the possibilities of the future.

sxc.hu

Willow Posts: N/A
Unregistered

WILLOW & ERMINE

.arborun lignea .. .mare. ..23 years. .. .16.3 hands.

There is much that occurs in little time. Willow can barely react to it all, but in summary, she begins with excited hope, and withdraws in frightened despair.

They stand and stare at her, but most importantly, they stand. They do not raise up in hooves and teeth. They do not send their familiars to burn and bite and chase her. They even, rank her.

A frail smile, weak only in its disbelief, wraps across her muzzle. "I would be honored," she intones to Paladin at his offer of Storyteller. She dips her head in gratitude to him, as she is learned is customary for horses since her early days of study. Another mare with an interesting mark on her head speaks up, voicing similar interests. Willow smiles and nods her direction, thinking that they might spend a lot of time together. She had hoped to ask Paladin more, perhaps not now amidst this crowd, about the specific duties such a title would entail, but it seemed even after would have to wait with the way the meeting began to turn.

Before all of that though, Poppy comes. Still cautious of the powerful little mare, Willow is however grateful to see the familiar face. She cranes her neck, mane wrapped with leaves from her tree sliding down as she does. Her soft muzzle bumps at the small mare, warm breath exchanged in silent welcome. Ermine on her backside chatters his own greeting, the pitch high with excitement. He still enjoys the girl, entranced by her coat.

The attitude shifts then. Voices steadily raise and the air grows hot with all the tempers. Willow has seen this. Willow knows this.
This feels like the brink of war. She withdraws slightly, her tree shivering as she moves, wary.

A braver one at her side however, steps forth. The small, little Poppy - an odd name for one with no Poppies on her, Willow muses - calls attention to her. Bold words. Most troubling though is the way the ground and the plants around Poppy shift, living, then dying. It brings another involuntary shudder of fear through the lignea. She in many ways adores Poppy, but in many others, wills her to keep a smart distance. She cannot yet be sure to what degree the mare could effect a species like her. She'd rather not find out very quickly.

Yet for the moment, the echoing words of Poppy make Willow hope again, and her smile spreads. Encouraged she steps back beside the gray, whispering softly to her. "You speak honest and true, Poppy."

The girl is soon called away however, orders barked by the mare who is coldest of all in this group. Willow's gaze lifts, green eyes in a brown face shrouded by green marks. She is curious by what the grulla could mean. Poppy, heal? Is the strange girl a true healer, or an herbologist like herself? All questions are quickly answered soon enough, as magic indeed takes root and the plants she uses begin to glow.

Willow gasps. Her eyes widen and though she doesn't realize it she is sweeping forward with a gentle stride. Her nose tilts, eyes striving to catch a better glimpse of this talent. Just as easily as its begun it ends and Willow reaches out her broad, long head to hold Poppy firm on her right side. Gentle words seek to soothe, fascinated ever more with this girl.

"Shhh, there there little one. You did good, rest now. You did good." Ermine scutters down Willow's shoulder and curls up in a neat, warm ball on Poppy's backside, claws tangled in her mane. He chutters to himself like a soft purr as he gives what comfort he can to the coat-changing horse.

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
Evenly Smoke gazed back at Paladin, resisting the urge to allow her emotions to pull at her again. She wasn't going to back down from her decisions, not today. Even if he spoke harsh words against her quiet comment. "Perhaps we should save this conversation for a time when there are fewer distractions and less likelihood to misunderstand." Her voice was neutral as she struggled to take a page out of Mirage's book, hiding her reactions so as to not drive things further beyond what could be handled.

Her gaze moved to Archibald when he spoke, and an ear twitched. "I never disagreed with Paladin taking over from Gossamer. I did what I could to keep some semblance of order when others did not, and I apologize that such took away the opportunity you sought, Archibald. You're quite welcome to it now, if you still wish it." She was rather surprised out how polite she was managing to be to the stud, considering she'd never been comfortable with him within the herd. Him nor his dam.

It was with a small, sad smile that she watched Mirage and her brothers step up into the brief lull, assuring Paladin of the Qian's continued support regardless of how the herd's leader dynamics changed. Briefly she reached out to Maskan, muzzle tipping toward his side but not entirely sure she wanted to make contact. She had appreciated his earlier touch, but hadn't dare relax her grip on her control for fear her anger would overflow. But she stayed back while the brothers and Mirage approached Paladin.

When Mirage turned to leave, Smoke moved as well. But not so quickly. She lingered, offering a small smile to Maskan. He would know where to find her if he wanted. Her gaze moved to Ricochet and Kimber then, and Zaffre stirred on her back. There was much she wished to say to them, but not before the others. So the blue acted in her stead, reaching out to their young minds hesitantly. Take care of her... was murmured into the stallion's mind, accompanied by a brief image of Kimber. He needs you. Stay. Was whispered, more firmly, to Kimber. And then the blue seemed to droop a little, worn by his first experience making his thoughts known clearly to someone other than his bonded.

And Smoke walked away. She had deeper reasons than Paladin assumed, but was unwilling to involve the entire herd, or at least those who'd been drawn to this gathering, in her reasonings. Later, she would clarify things to the unicorn.

Ricochet the Incendiary Posts: 133
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.2 hands :: 5 years Buff: BULK
Blu

[whoops did forget Ali was absent, but alas the challenge was more for IC effect than anything. At this rate I don't think we need to go through with it unless Ali would like to knock rico's teeth out lol. Even so though as absent ranks can't be challenged anyway, the challenge would just start when she gets back ^^]

A small voice tugs at the back of his burning mind. Any other voice wouldn't have made it past the flames, but being a daughter of smoke after all, she wriggled through the inferno and touched the heart of the Incendiary. He turned, as if snapped from a daze, to glance down at her small body. "Kimber..." he nearly complained, pleaded. She didn't understand.

Maybe I don't understand.

Guns whined uncertainly beside him, sensing the shift in mood. Anger remained gripped around the dunskin, and at Kimber's last murmur he could only shake his head, teeth snapping with newfound drive. "Only because of her stomach, she would otherwise," he snarled, eyes flashing back towards the black stallion with discontent.

"We have different views on the truth behind such names then, I fear," Ricochet retorted when Paladin expressed the wish for an apology. If nothing else, Ricochet wanted to fight the bitch just to prove her weakness and for her to face her crimes from long ago once and for all. Regardless of the hows or the whys, he felt, he knew Smoke was more qualified than she to run the herd. Only Paladin's heart and his dick blinded him from that truth, and for that Ricochet could not easily forgive. To add on that the way Soleil had left the Oasis, for a unicorn no less, was only insult to injury. That and the fact she was a mare period made her less worthy in Ricochet's eyes. Why even Smoke was currently incapacitated by the work of a mare. Neither truly had business leading anyone - who could they protect if the time came and their legs had been spread months prior?

He snorted rashly, but said no more on the matter. Angrily his tail lashed behind him, the dirt still occasionally flickering and popping around him. Another voice soon enough cut him down however, and this time his fire remained doused. Rather than joy, gratitude, acceptance, Smoke threw disappointment at him. A face so like his father's in that regard the colt in him immediately shrunk down. He crouched, half expecting a beating - Gunslinger surely would have were he here. The poor stallion, so ready to leave life had taught his son all the physical aspects of a warrior, but none of the heart; he'd deluded himself in thinking Ricochet was being a child and would grow out of it. Maybe he would, as he was young yet.

"But Smoke!" He protested at first, quickly falling silent and down-casting his eyes. He knew it was futile. He had sense enough to at least back down when the one he stood up for asked it of him. His body relaxed like some great shuddering cave falling in on itself. A frown remained smeared on his facade, and gone was the happy expression on his dog, but the two retreated more or less with tails tucked beside the grulla. Half to comfort himself, and half to shelter her, Ricochet took Kimber in under his neck, tucking her against his breast like a teddy bear. The voice that came into his mind, startling and abrasive, needn't have been spoke. He glanced at Smoke and Zaffre, hesitant to connect to a duo that caused him so much grief, especially the blue - his face still ached at times, but he put that beside him for the sake of Kimber. He nodded smally, understanding.

They left, but he could not watch them go.

"I thought..." he trailed off in a whisper to her, miserable. He might have ruined all his plans for her, all for naught.

RICOCHET
to the sound of a time bomb ticking away

Query Posts: 48
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15 :: 7
Nogard
Query looked up a bit as solstice whinied her way, and returned the greeting. And then noticed Xenos pop up and speak on how he'd be happy to just be part of the herd. That was something that she could relate to. When she first joined the foothills that's all she wanted, but now that she knew more of this story teller position she was very much interested in helping Willow find out more of the history of this land, and others as well.

More talking went on. Query kinda spaced out on willow at this point, noticing a movement in the branches on this lignea's back. This was a creature that looked to be a weasel to her.

Then the one with the dog snapped. Shouting out accusations and a challenge. Query thought that this was bad timing...hadn't there been enough bloodshed to start with...after all it was the bloodshed that had started this whole thing. But she kept these thoughts to herself, she didn't want to add to the fire. After the accusations his dog Guns echoed him. The two were obviously very closely connected, but Query didn't quite now the extent in which the two were bonded.

Query's attention now turned to the little filly next to this 'Ricochet' character. She wanted to know why paladin didn't ask her mother to lead beside her. So, her mother must be this Smoke the Wild Rose Ricochet mentioned. Query next turned her attention to the pregnant mare on the other side of ricochet and glanced the dragon on her haunches. She'd try to get to know these two later for she wanted to know more about these dragons that she keeps seeing and where she might be able to get one.

After the filly had said her calming words to Ricochet she noticed the two ferrets made of water turn into a fox of the same material. This amused Query a bit for she had never seen such a sight. Sure, she had seen foxes and ferrets before, but never made of water.

Then, once again, Query's thoughts were interrupted by more shouting. This time by one whom seemed more obsessed over Willow that she herself had been. "No more hurt." the mare said. Query assumed this to mean that she was getting tired of all the bickering as well. She really couldn't blame her, as she too was getting a little tired of it. Drama didn't suit Query too well. She had enough of that for a lifetime or two she thought.

At this point Query just started zoning out again. She found it really hard to keep focusing on all that was going on around her and decided to just lay down.

Then this smoke character had called out to Poppy to heal the battered, bruised and burnt Paladin. She noticed that the other mare that had just shouted out "no more fight" snapped too when smoke called out her name.

Query again watched with interest as Poppy made her way to Paladin. Then awe struck her as plants started spontaneously growing from the ground and enveloping Paladin around his wounds. And then even more awestruck when the mud this mare put on him started to glow.

Then again, back to more people she didn't know argue about whether what happened was good or not. That was neither here nor there for Query at this moment, she was too fixated on the magical workings of Poppy. She was so fixated that she didn't notice Mirage take her leave.

In fact she could really care less about the rest that is going on. So she gets up and moves closer to Willow and Poppy before laying back down. Not wanting to be rude and just leave, but having no real interest in all that is going on.

Evers the Able Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2hh :: 12 Buff: NOVICE
Rita :: Greyhound :: Water Mold imi

Well this looks more like a debate than a meeting.

Evers dryly thought to himself whilst rolling up, deciding to join the meeting after watching it from a safe distance. At least he isn't some supremacist. There were many here already, some her knew and some he didn't, taking his place comfortably next to his brothers Casimir and Archibald. His bigger gruffer sibling seemed to be getting angry over one of the arguments that was ensuing, Evers rolled his eyes and looked towards their new leader. Paladin the Valiant. Interesting. Three leads. The blue gave the Chief and appraising look before deciding on a rank he may want.

May as well go with the obvious one for someone like me.

He watched the buckskin steed finish a sentence as the grulla femme took her leave and an oddly marked paint went to sit by an even odder looking... Equine? Evers looked curiously at the strange being with a tree on her back, briefly wondering how on earth something like that would happen. Stashing it as another question in his mind for later, Evers turned back to the meeting. Standing solidly but small next to his siblings, looking at their new leader. "Diplomats? Unlike my brothers I'm not built to be warrior in mind nor physique..." Pausing a moment whilst he regretted having such a skinny little body with strangely placed horns. "I would be happy to serve and put my brain to good use as a diplomat." Vocals quiet in his scholarly manner.

[sorry for its shortness! D: I just wanted to get him here]

image made by time.

Deceased
Tamme

The bite of his pain had been soothed from the healing, and his crimson eyes, the second barely cracked now, observed the black and golden mare as she began to speak to him. Paladin was grateful for finally a shred of sanity among the high emotions and nonsense that was just yelled out. He dipped his head in a respectful bow to the Qian leader. "Should an internal issue arise, such as this, I would appreciate high ranking members of the Qian to serve as impartial judges," he replied. "Your verdict shall be respected and honored - if, you are all right with allowing your herd to assume such a roll in the Foothills."

"Should you require anything from the Foothills or myself personally, you know where to find me." The black dun had done this before with Voltaic. He had done this before with Aera, having befriended the feisty dark mare despite her natural disinclination toward his species. Why, suddenly, so many old faces decided to imagine such falsities about him was distressing and saddening. Paladin had even opened his home on the Tides to a group of peace keepers, or had everyone forgotten that fact as well?

Paladin raised a brow as Smoke spoke. So now she was eager actually have a polite and simple dialogue with him? Now, after taking her moody words and poisoning the air, coupled with her bitchy, arrogant attitude, she wanted to speak. The stallion's crimson eyes flashed with bitterness, and he stared at her in disbelief. After all she had done to purposefully ignore his calm behavior, mock a position he had given her, and then ignore his apology? She wanted to discuss this privately? She was the one who had made this entire ordeal public! "As I said. He stated simply, flatly.

Hearing the child-stallion speak riled the spark of his temper again, and Paladin inhaled deeply as he watched the insolent whelp continue to make a fool of himself. "The apology is not an option if you wish to remain here..." he growled. "I did the same on the Tides to those who insulted others, and I shall do the same here. If you are unable to apologize for your needless slander and somehow manage to stuff down a misplaced ego, then your poisonous attitude is no longer welcome." He glared. "I care not about your personal feelings on the matter. If you have a legitimate qualm about my mate other than your belief that she is a traitor, though to what I am unsure, and a whore, you may speak to me privately instead of shouting out your hatred in the form of a bloody, pointless challenge." Paladin was at his patience's end with bullshit.

A voice of reason, finally, with no opinion on the debate so far. The black dun stallion nodded deeply to the blue, his crimson eyes softening. "I believe you would make a fine diplomat. Which herd would you like to visit first on our behalf?" he asked earnestly, waiting to see what types he wanted to visit in the name of equality.

Casimir Posts: N/A
Unregistered
Casimir struggled to stay calm in the rising fire of anger and pride. His muscles twitched uncomfortably, shaking away invisible flies. He lowered his head to the ground, keeping his muzzle brushing against the grass. He saw flashes of movement from his partial-seeing eye, and he turned his head to follow them. The words that splashed matched to face of memory, except Archibald's. Casimir focused hard on Archibald, his entire being trying to draw strength and courage from the behemoth. Casimir did not like large crowds, and wished oh so much that Evers was near him with his small and brave stature. Casimir sighed, his tongue silent as members of the herd argued.

A challenge? Another? Casimir lifted his head slightly, turning it to pinpoint the voice as best he could. With overly foggy, one-eyed vision Casimir saw the light colored stallion throw and angry fit, rearing and roaring. Casimir blinked, head turning back to where Archibald stood. Carefully Casimir took a step towards the black giant, Archibald's tail swishing in annoyance and hitting Casimir in the chest. The grey lifted his chin to avoid the quick hairs. Casimir sighed of relief when the other members calmed the new stallion, and furrowed his brow when he was deflated so quickly. Odd, usually fiery tempers stayed hot for a while. Not this one, he must have been slightly embarrassed to have his challenge thrown down by the one he was challenging in place of.

Casimir took a step back when his brother moved away from him, leaving him with Loretta. Casimir lowered his head, worry striking his heart, with no knowledge as to what his brother would say. After the giant's speech Casimir was relieved, Archibald had stood in defense of the new leader and enforced a problem Smoke had neglected in the herd. Casimir was comforted by the fact that Archibald stayed calm and collected, yet still strong. Through all of the deep fear of his brother, Casimir admired that fact. Turning his head as Evers approached Casimir leaned into him some, hip touching the small blue. Thank you for coming. He though, tail sweeping over Evers' hind leg. He listened as his brother spoke up for Diplomat, knowing his skills in battle were only necessary when Mandrake called upon them.

Deceased
Blu

The meeting more or less seemed to be at a point of dispersing. The dun unicorn, healed but still fatigued, was equally worn down by the emotional draw of this gathering. Ricochet himself had little to add, anxious only to know of what Smoke and Paladin would speak of, and if Soleil would still be willing to answer his call.

Such things would have to wait until the morning's light, so Ricochet was preparing to take his leave. Yet, Paladin could not resist getting one more word in edge wise - which of course, Ricochet could not resist replying to. You taunt the dog with meat and he will bite...

"Let Soleil defend her name then, if you think her so pure and clean. I would not say such things if they were needless." Ricochet retorted with a thin voice, his teeth clipping each word that his tongue pushed out. His eyes, having softened as he mellowed in the embrace of Kimber, were hardening into danger again. He was not angry this time however, merely set in his resolve. "If you'd prefer, I'll call her such things to her face, for the truth stands whether in her presence or not." Tail hairs slapped smartly over the dunskin's flanks as he regarded the Valiant impassively. This lead was a fool. "Would you honor that arrangement, to let the mare you put such high esteem in handle her own affairs, or will I have to fight you too just to stay here?" He spoke with a calm collection that was arrogant and snide. The Incendiary would fight however it took to get his way, and the sooner Paladin understood this the better. He would not be shoved down with hard stares and threats of disposal. If Paladin wanted rid of him he would have to drag Ricochet out kicking and screaming now that he'd let him in.

Damnit Smoke... I was hoping to avoid this. Of course he only had himself to blame, but he much preferred being annoyed with her for his lack of composure. No matter how the day ended, Ricochet had at least learned a good deal today. Much of which pleased him with the promise of future potential.

RICOCHET

Deceased
Tamme

Paladin bared his jaws at the insolent whelp, ears pinned against his skull. He mustered the last of his energy to tense his form, arching his neck to display his horn in a menacing way. "You, child, brought Soleil into this when she was not even here to defend her name, and now you are waiting to speak to her face?" he growled, crimson eyes flashing with the last reserves of anger. "Soleil can handle her affairs, but in her absence, I will defend her honor from arrogant colts."

The black dun stepped closer to the dunskin, drawing his full height by lifting his neck. A grimace etched on his features as Poppy's work was stretched across his mane-less neck. "I will be present when you speak to Soleil, and if an apology is not uttered from your lips for the libel, you will leave."

Kimber Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 4 (Ages in Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Kaiden :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Kachie
Quiet gratification curled in the yearling when Ricochet listened to her, calming with only a small protest. She merely gazed at him, patient and waiting... but cringed when Paladin couldn't leave well enough alone. Her tail lashed against her haunches as she leaned into her brother's side, wordless support. Why stallions didn't know when to leave off a subject, she wasn't sure. Wasn't entirely sure if her mother could explain it either.

Anxiety rose again as she watched Smoke withdraw, only to be soothed by the brush of a familiar mind... and startled when that touch was accompanied by quiet words. Silently she let Ricochet pull her closer, leaning against his chest with a gentle whicker. While she yearned to follow after her mother, she knew the words Zaffre had said were true. Ricochet needed her, and she was determined to stay with her brother. His dramatically altering moods convinced her of that, if nothing else. So she merely gazed after the grulla mare, ears perked, until the shadows hid her.

Then her attention swung to Paladin, and those ears tipped back as the unicorn spoke chastising words for Ricochet. Kimber knew naught of the history between the two stallions, only that those harsh words would help not at all. And she was proven true, when her brother answered that reprimand with defiance. She could feel him growing tense again where he'd settled from having her near. A weary sigh escaped the young grulla, realizing that she was going to have to play the part her mother would have were she still here.

"Enough. I'm sure this can be resolved to everyone's satisfaction when emotions aren't so high, and had a chance to talk." Her blue eyes were keen on the black dun, quietly defiant. Then she swung her head around, reaching to brush her muzzle against Ricochet's. "We should go find Jackal now. Tell him the news." And she meant the fact that the colt had more family now, beyond the turmoil started today. "Life would be so much easier if questions were asked before decisions made." She muttered this last to the watery fox standing near her left forehoof, but more than loud enough for others to hear. Then she shifted, nudging against Ricochet coaxingly, trying to get him to turn away.

Deceased
Blu

[oh Rico meant he would go through with the challenge with Soleil just as way to prove her worth/stand up for the names he called her, he didn't mean chatting :x unless Soleil would refuse to fight him for such a matter.]

This unicorn was more naive than a wet filly. He thought he could handle things with simple words? Would an apology really help? Would anyone feel better in the end? It is the slam of bodies bruising one another that settles the score. It's the sweat that pours out that drains you of all the rage and wickedness stored inside. It's the opportunity to bleed and to taste blood that sates our hunger. Talking would achieve nothing.

Talking with Soleil would not merit her crimes, would not bring justice to Smoke and it would not undo the words Ricochet had spoken of her. She would have to prove her innocence. She would have to defend her rights to the title. She would have to protect her name. Words would not accomplish this, not for Ricochet and he didn't think for her either. It's too easy to lie when you use your tongue, but blood and sweat and bruises, they are always honest.

Ricochet snorted, eyes still burning though he tossed his gaze aside. He was done playing these stupid games tonight. Dawn would bring the true answers. Instead Ricochet let himself be led away by Kimber, only tossing one final glance back towards the black dun. I'm coming for you.

RICOCHET